Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I will always love basically every design from Homeworld

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUCODXqlCxc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flimf posted:

"Mothership" from Homeworld.

The "Kuun-Lan" from Homeworld: Cataclysm - Made all that cooler due to the incredible story arc in that game.

I've always liked the HW1 mothership more with the chunk missing from the top and exposed pillar for a bridge. It breaks the design up in a pleasing way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've always thought the star trek ships had a terrible design, I like that blue one though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

As I recall, it went that the colony worlds were trying to break from Earth's control, and initially had a lot of public support, but then in their war for independence they did a Terrorism, and thus lost the support of most of humanity and justified the creation of the Spartan program, which made superhumans out of children that were kidnapped by hospitals that faked their deaths to the parents.

The Spartan program and what they're really there for or why they really exist is kept secret from nearly everyone (including nearly all the military, who for all they really know, outside of some higherups, they're just good soldiers and it's all a next-gen weapons platform thing) and when the Covenant war ends, and the UNSC relinquishes control back to the civilian government, they immediately go "so how did you make those Mister Chiefs anyway, we should probably have more", realize it was a mega crime against humanity, and immediately start looking into trying people for said crimes, and the Spartan program changes into a "give volunteering really good soldiers cybernetic enhancements" program.

Halo 1 through Reach the backstory is mostly as you say, the outer colonies want self-rule, the Earth government doesn't want to let them because Earth can't sustain itself without them, and rather than full on war or granting independence they look into assassinations and killteams by making the Spartan program (this part's kind of a "but why" though), which is then sort of like a lucky break that they can move into assassinations of the Covenant high command instead. Halo 4 changes it so it's apparently written in our dna to eventually want to create Master Chief, jackoff suit and all, after we lost a war with the ancient aliens who punished us by turning us into monkey men but just in case the alien megavirus monster attacks again, they want us to be able to defend ourselves in the future since we were runners-up in dealing with it, so we were going to sooner or later anyway. No, really.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordja posted:

Isn't Johnson technically an early/proto-Spartan? Were they made for use against the colonies also ore just the Master Chef ones?

Yep. Johnson's been retconned a few times because no one wanted to accept that Bungie just brought the VA and character back in Halo 2 after getting infected by space zombies and/or exploding because he owned, so right now he's technically a Spartan 1 when it went by another codename instead (as opposed to Chief, a Spartan 2) who prior to the games joined in raided rebel bomb-making facilities and groups (both sides were in not totally open warfare but not cold war either). He's only been enhanced a little bit comparatively, and as a consenting adult. Nearly all of this comes from spinoff books, ingame, the only thing you are told about why/how Johnson isn't dead on Halo is "it's classified, don't think about it and have fun shooting the battle rifle instead".

Actually, nearly all the lovely, especially stupid stuff comes from the spinoff books and Halo 4 onward.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ashsaber posted:

Wow, that's stupid. My only recent interaction with the series has been watching the best of Woolie Vs videos, and I thought the explanation that the secret Reach terminals was alluding to was a bunch of humanity's AIs were doing shifty stuff behind the backs of the humans, decided that even if they had no idea if there was intelligent life out there they needed to prepare for aliens that are A) hostile, and B) have overwhelming tech superiority.

IIRC the AIs eventually decided to make humans think they were coming up with stuff while they were being guided to do what the AIs wanted, with the implication that the Spartan program was meant for alien wrecking with the reasons presented to humans was 'do it to save the economy :911:'.

That was my takeaway, but it was apparently much, much stupider.

That WAS what Bungie wanted to leave off with (along with being a gigantic Marathon reference) though the civil war thing was happening anyway, but nobody at 343 read or cared about that part lol. Reach tried to retcon a few different things that 343 grossly misunderstood or didn't notice and instead made a lot dumber.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's like someone put a gun barrel on the Marathon lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anime Sjet is mostly just following Deserts of Kharak's art style

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

Rachel Sjet wasn't anime girl in DOK though. Here Karan looks like Melfina from Outlaw Star if she wore clothes, rather than the original game's more pulp sci-fi cover look for her in the fleet command tank.

It looks pretty close to the picture of her on Steam to me :shrug:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Meanwhile Makaan was stuck in a huge rear end pile of cables lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kesper North posted:

brb doin a trench run

*proceeds to dig a trench in the guacamole with a Star Destroyer while making whooshing jet fighter noises*

Porkin's force ghost looks on, approvingly

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You can get a freighter (the big capital ships) pretty much as soon as you get hyperdrive working. Every time you jump to a new system there's a chance you'll turn up mid space-battle, and if you destroy all the pirates you get offered a freighter. Unlike every other ship in the game, freighters can be painted whatever color(s) you want, though you have to unlock each paint color separately.

Freighters also let you store multiple ships, so if you find a crashed one you can add it to your collection and repair it slowly rather than just swapping it with your functional starter ship (and leaving yourself stranded). You can find crashed ships using a Signal Booster.

Crashed ships are usually a bit poo poo tho, even after repair, you can buy fancier ones from their pilots at Space Stations, but they're pretty expensive. If you're after a specific look/style of ship, there's a whole subreddit dedicated to where to find them, though to get to the coordinates you'll need to power up a portal which is a whole other ballache.

Also sometimes the ship generator throws up things like this:

Roomy!

I always love seeing a good Scooty Puff

Twenty Four posted:

This broke my brain for a second. I suppose I own the remastered ones, but I only played the original, and I don't remember paint jobs being a thing so I had one of those Mandella effect moments, except maybe not I guess lol.

They were always a thing! You could make your ships any color but black originally. If you tried to modify some files so they were black anyway, it'd detect it and set you to pink, or at least that was the story that went around about it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've always enjoyed Destiny 1's big boys

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

twistedmentat posted:

I just finished a full playthrough of ME Legendary and like i knew I loved the Normandy before, but drat is it a cool ship. The upgrade from 1 to 2 just improves on it. I love how the interior of the ship makes logical sense for what the outside looks like, also that the inside is a separate pressure hull than the outside. Of course most ships would be like a submarine, its exterior hull would contain interior hulls so if one is punctured the others may not be.

I appreciated how ME3 has the SR-2 retrofitted to the SR-1's military standards (and it's incomplete at that)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Polaron posted:

This thing was always my favorite in D1 and I am still angry that it's only available covered in weird red veins in D2 as a spooky Halloween ship.

The red vine stuff is supposed to be a nanomachine plague thing

It reminded me of The Beast from Homeworld Cataclysm lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MikeJF posted:

Is that a reference to Red Weed from War of the Worlds.

In both cases probably but that didn't occur to me before lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brawnfire posted:

Now I wanna see a Borg cube land and just spread Borg creep

That's not great for the property values

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

Spacedock is cool and good because it's the primary inspiration for HIGH CHARITY, COVENANT HOLY CITY, NINTH AGE OF RECLAMATION, which is one of the coolest space cities ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltdgc4qi1z0

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

More spacecraft should have Dazzle Camo

I've always enjoyed that the reason the Taiidani ships in Homeworld are yellow and red is because space around them is because of all the dust clouds and nebulas

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's not Mambo number 5

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The bridge has to be on the side so you can roll the window down at the drive thru

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tree Bucket posted:

I got all inspired by this thread to draw some spaceships. Turns out it's REALLY HARD and I gave up after 5 minutes.
Any space artists ITT? Tell me your secrets

They're basically all penises so just draw one of those and put a laser gun on it somewhere

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They're all fun and games until one crashes onto Australia

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cythereal posted:

I have a new space boat in STO. It is neither a good ship nor a good looking ship, but it was free from an event so it's in the collection all the same. To my understanding it's from some STD comic, the Somerville class.

Someone forgot the leavener

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I loved that Rock Raiders game. It was also the first game I was able to identify as a buggy piece of poo poo that crashed constantly

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Honestly they're iconic but Star Trek designs are just kinda ugly all around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm seeing a lot of inspiration for Homeworld ship designs in that picture and I'm reminded that Homeworld also features a Taiidan captain named Elson. Is there a connection?

Yep and it's exactly what you think