Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

free hubcaps posted:

ever since i was a lil' hubcap and found them in my school library ive had a love for the terran trade authority books and their very foss-esque spaceships

Those were dope. My primary school library had the first one (Spacecraft: 2000 to 2100 AD) and it was pretty much permanently on loan. I've managed to get the whole lot for about $10 each which is a steal.

This is another book in the same vein and it's worth picking up too:

Funnily enough it has a page with the Enterprise on it as a replica of a ship from an ancient Earth sci fi show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I organize my albums by the radness of the spacecraft on the cover.

Here's another one to add to that:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Polaron posted:

The Omega was explicitly based on it, IIRC.

Sure was, at least the rotating section. The designer straight-up admits it.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Bucnasti posted:

This is the first time I've seen it, but drat what a wasted storytelling opportunity. It would have been so great if every time they fired a torpedo it was a big deal and they had to weigh the choices.

That's Voyager in a nutshell really. It was basically a rehash of TNG and the premise of being lost on the other side of the galaxy was given no more than lip service most of the time. So much wasted potential.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm pretty sure "don't go to warp near a planet" is a ST rule (that's probably been broken a few times)

I'm not sure it was ever a rule in Star Trek actually, but it definitely is in Star Wars. There's a whole bunch of stuff about not being able to go to hyperspace inside a gravity well, to the point of the Empire weaponising gravity with their Interdictor cruisers that project a gravity well preventing nearby ships from escaping into hyperspace. That said, I don't think it comes up much in the movies, only in books/comics/TV series.