Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

Starship Enterprise
(movie version)

304.8 meters long

Forums user CHICKEN SHOES put it best:

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

gonna go ahead and say 1701A or whatever model was in the movies with the rectangle nacelles was the best enterprise and could beat up the borg and a SSD and is super tough and cool and gets all the hot girls

Also I love the bridge set in the first four movies. I have a dumb criteria by which I judge sci-fi ship bridges: is this a place I would be totally thrilled to visit and gently caress around in? And the movie bridge is extremely yes, there are so many tactile buttons.

Space Pirate Battleship Arcadia
("blue" or "sharp-nose" version)

400 meters long

Arcadia obviously derives heavily from Space Battleship Yamato, but with substantial variations. A highly automated starship, crewed by only 41 people (and a cat, and a bird), Arcadia is the ship with which Captain Harlock fights to protect Earth, and which he and his fellow misfit outcasts call home.

This ship is admittedly silly. It's even sillier than the space battleship Yamato because Our Heroes usually steer this ship with an old-fashioned ship's wheel, and because of the stern gallery, and because it flies a flag that flutters, in space. But it cuts such a lovely line, and I love the show it comes from so very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

Also, for straight-line acceleration, being in a "standing" position is much better for tolerating g-forces.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

twistedmentat posted:

Star Was has iconic ships too, aforementioned ISD, the Falcon, the X-Wing, but did they introduce any cool new ships in the Sequel Era? At least the Prequels gave us the Venator and CIS ships, its just here's another Star Destroyer that looks like all the previous Star Destroyers. I've mused many times that no one working in effects currently has any idea how to make a decent looking ship. Actually Kylo Ren's Tie Silencer was pretty cool.

I feel like there's been a shift in how things are done with regard to effects houses, and I've peripherally heard about things like effects houses constantly either on the verge of bankruptcy or even just straight-up going under. I wonder if there's so much churn going on that there's no longer the opportunity for the sorts of in-house cultures to form that used to be around. But even that doesn't quite explain the Star Wars sequels, because ILM is still around.

I also have been griping for ages now about how sound effects have been losing their punch. Everything is pips and squeaks now. Someone had the idea that maybe today nobody's bothering to do analog foley work any more and are instead just digitally tweaking what already exists in the library (or perhaps, just synthesizing from whole cloth bytes).

I've love to read a book (or even just a long-form article) that goes into how production technique, technology, and philosophy has changed over the past 20 years. If there isn't one out there then surely it deserves to be written.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

I think my favorite bit of trivia is how they repeatedly melted the green bulb at the back of the Liberator.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

Sodomy Hussein posted:

On a technical level, it's basically an invisible warship powered by a black hole. If it goes into too fast of a warp speed, it causes time fuckery.

My recollection is that the time fuckery from Timescape was not from the Romulans trying to hotrod their Warbird, but due to aliens nesting in their singularity.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Ah yes, that is correct, my bad in misremembering.

As punishment I demand that you post more rad spaceship pictures.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

My favorite Lego spaceship that I ever had, even more prized than bigger and fancier ones that came later, was the Deep Freeze Defender:

https://twitter.com/LegoSpaceBot/status/1055846425534316544/photo/1

twistedmentat posted:

I like that the Marauder still follows Big Rods original plans where to work, warp nacelles needed to see each other with nothing in the way. So that's why the Warbird has this giant negative space in it, and the aforementioned Marauder has the edges of its wings(?) pointed down so this works. Though the Bird of Prey ignores this before Roddenberry died.

Roddenberry had no direct control over any of the movies except The Motion Picture. He could write memos (which, if I remember right, the producers said they used about a third of) and he could leak scripts to the fans, but that was about it. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there was a memo moldering in some file cabinet about how the Bird of Prey needs x and y changes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

dialhforhero posted:

I accidentally dropped one of those as a kid when playing Legos and it shattered.

It was my friendís

We stopped playing for a couple of days after that day.

I admit that I too was one of those weird kids who liked keeping their Lego kits in stock configuration, and was unreasonably grumpy if one of my friends busted one up.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

twistedmentat posted:

Posting that is shaming me for all the kits i have sitting in my closet unassembled.

oh yeah speaking of which, i have a bunch of ships at the same scale:

(pictures are a bit old, i've since added the -D in there, maybe i'll take new pics later)

all in 1:1400 scale. also all assembled/painted by friends who are much better at model-making than i am, and were so kind as to do so as birthday/christmas gifts.

but what's that peeking in from the corner?

Arcadia! Also in 1:1400!

also an old Bandai Enterprise-refit chilling at the back as well.

the plexiglass is less about keeping dust out and more about keeping cats out; the Bandai is pretty fragile these days after having been knocked over a few times.

oh, that poster peeking from behind?

and what's that to the left of the poster?

it's 19.5 square feet of Enterprise-D blueprints!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

So some dude has put out some renders that are allegedly, for the most part, the original art assets (and even allegedly rendered on the same software), just with the resolution cranked up to 1920x1080.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24AJP0693mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SkU91BMLgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFFfmE0L_ac

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

twistedmentat posted:

While they look good, they're still just mid 90s cgi. Though they do illustrate how alien and terrifying the Shadow's ships were.

That also reminds me of one of the things I loved about Babylon 5 is that the tech between races was varied. In most sci fi settings everyone's normally at parity, like someone might be faster or have better shields or whatnot, but in b5 some races don't even have artificial gravity and lack the engineering to even make rotating hulls to create gravity. Humans are shown to be somewhere in between there, will bow Omega and Nova class ships serving at the same time.

Oh true, it wouldn't hold up for a new modern production, but it's still pretty amazing how good it looks just by cranking up the resolution. A lot of the magic in the B5 exteriors was in the "camerawork".

Nova class are the Omega-looking ones without rotating sections, right? Yeah those ones just don't have any gravity at all, it's just zero-g for the full deployment. Probably a contributing factor to why General Franklin didn't want his troops sitting out on the transport ships for too long. First EarthForce ship with artificial gravity is the Warlock destroyer... I can't remember when it's first seen, definitely not in the main series.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

i get hell of homeworld vibes off the roci

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

CarlCX posted:

The Tiger's Claw from the original Wing Commander.

It's hilarious and the idea of building a space ship meant to deal with other space ships in space that is 75% runway is absurd if you think about it for even a second, but the degree to which they very intentionally did not think about it, and its design as literally just an aircraft carrier in space, is immediately emotionally indicative of the WWII-but-with-you're-fighting-evil-cats-who-fly-space-donuts nature of the game/series. You can't look at it and not immediately grasp the tone. They eventually tried to make it kind-of sort-of make sense by designing future carriers that were big giant edifices built around a runway to at least make it seem space-efficient, but it was always better when it was just completely, blatantly stupid.

In fact, honorable mention for the Dralthi:

Perfect little space donut.

I understand it's because of hardware limitations and the need to keep the polygon count and texture size down, but everything after Wing Commander 2 just looks godawful to me.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

UNF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YBO-sy2rRU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

Chomp8645 posted:

She's built like a deli, but she handles like a bistro!

you're sayin' that thing's got a bistromathic drive? daaaaaaaaang

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

The_Doctor posted:

I just watched the first ep too! The CGI looks like some PlayStation 1 game.

lol it's been a minute since you've played a PS1 game

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

Mordja posted:

You just posted a picture of a Kushan heavy cruiser.

Right??!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i get hell of homeworld vibes off the roci

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

hell, here's the big Kushan heavy:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

i took this picture like 3.5 years ago and it was the entire reason i wanted both models in 1:1400 in the first place

someday i should really try to find the right lens for this kind of shot and try to do it "right"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

I remember in SDF Macross they find a wreck of another Supervision Army ship at one point, do we ever see operational Supervision Army ships (in original state, not after having been salvaged and hotwired)?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

Psycho Landlord posted:

If you were a dumb kid who loved star trek and WW2 ships and then your dad came home one day with a bunch of bootleg VHSs of the original american run of this show it was the tightest poo poo ever, and there's honestly a ton of cool designs in here that are utterly nonsensical but are great "wet navy in space" aesthetic. It even got a remake that cut most of the really nationalist poo poo out called Space Battleship Yamato 2199, which is a decent watch if you can deal with anime to get your space fights fix.

Agreed, Space Battleship Yamato is a lot of fun. The art direction of 2199 is, to me, the ideal of a remake; it looks like it was made by people who loved the original and wanted to make higher-fidelity versions of the old designs.

My biggest complaint about 2199 is that the men got great updated uniform designs, and the women almost all got stuck in plugsuits. It was really unnecessary and gross.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

Also to be fair to the original show runners, I don't think they knew back then that the old Yamato had broken in two.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

I love 2010. The synth music. The loneliness of deep space. Roy Schieder. The whole vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

Linux Pirate posted:

Someone made a cool cutaway model of the Enterprise.

more

i;m big horny for that model