Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Spacecraft, 2000-2100AD was a cheesy cash-in book which took some cover paintings and wrote entries for them in the vein of Janes' Fighting Ships, and drat if it didn't light up every neuron in my 13-year-old brain when it came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQunbwFw2VI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Yup, if its got space ships, robots, lasers and for some reason guys in capes that are also in space, I would watch it when i was a kid. I had Star Crash beta taped off TV and watched it over and over and over. Also Ice Pirates. I mean I had other, like good sci fi movies, but i also taped any trash that showed up too.

I wanted to watch the classic blakes 7 intro, I love the shot made up of boxes to replicate a computer screen, but youtube is awash with peoples attempts to make modern versions on it. No, don't.

Oh well, here's the Space 1999 intro, which is the funkiest sci fi intro ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SpX8bVEmJo

TOS Star Trek might have bongos, but Space 1999 has some sweet wa wa guitar and bending of notes.

More to the point, Space:1999 has the Eagles, which were cool enough to carry an entire show.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The D-7/K'tinga battlecruiser held my imagination since the first time I saw it (I think it was the first spaceship model I built), and in all its incarnations over the years, still looks badass. There's no real definitive layout of the interior, but I like to imagine the crew is all clustered into the pod on the front, like it's a Ju-88.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Now the question is: is it wearing a hat or a Geordi visor?

It's a happy little frog on a lily pad, obvs.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

This is why the d'dredrex has that negative space in the middle, so the nacelles can see each other.

This does not explain the bird of prey or ferengi marauder lacking that design aspect.

Or several others. They dropped the requirement as time went on.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

MikeJF posted:

The original Bird of Prey was designed to be a stolen Federation design before that was cut and it was just made Romulan, so it fits that the movie Bird of Prey was designed to be a stolen Romulan ship before that was cut and it was just made Klingon.

(I wonder if the original plan before that was cut was that after Balance of Terror they'd repaint it in Federation colours and have it show up as a Fed ship)

It'd fit right in. Even had the same bridge bump, and everything.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Every time I see a spaceship tractor tug with a train of containers behind it, all I see is this:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

Here's a goofy ship from the short-lived 70s sitcom Quark.

The lower section opened up to collect "space baggies" of garbage.

I remember that show! It wasn't good, but... I mean, it was on, so I watched it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

Is this from Diebuster?

I remember the first one being one of the originators of the anime homing laser trope

You're going to have to go back further than that.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Bogus Adventure posted:

I love the straight beams that just suddenly appear in that second gif.

You can really see the difference in the remake LoGH vs the original. I wish they hadn't updated the beams.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, that shuttle looks very human.

Congratulations, you've now thought about this more than they did.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

A great big difference between submarines (or zeppelins) and hypothetical space-battleships is that the space machines wouldn't be dependant on the inside pressure to keep going, since the komplex can only lose mass and inertia and besides, doesn't need to fight gravity anyway. ...Something something structural integrity of airtight battleship with hyperdrives in space. Lessons from naval history and -engineering get confused when you can't sink or crash.

:thunk: maybe space combat wouldn't be like naval or air warfare after all? It's like tank combat on a nuclear battlefield in ww3

One of the things that bothered me about Trek was that at the energies described, there should be approximately zero instances of dramatic-as-hell scenes where the crews fight on in damaged starships. Shields down = ship pops like soap bubble in the same microsecond. The fact that they're filled with antimatter would be a moot point.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I think all discussions of spaceships with arms should include Bob Layzell's mining ship:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Babylon 5 ran its course when I was a little kid and it's never been picked up by Netflix or whatever. I keep hearing it's good, but I've never found legal place to sit down and watch it. :shrug:

It's definitely aged poorly (and not just the CGI) but it's probably worth your time from a getting-the-references standpoint.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

The actual battle and effects aren't really well done or choreographed, the wide shots of the model don't show where shots originate, and it's unclear where the rabbi turret that shoots down a Goyim fighter is supposed to be, but here's a video on the making of everything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBDVIvFUDIo

You can see the gun barrels on the model, they're sticking out of the dorsal bump on the rear spike.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Not a Star Trek expert, but isn't there a fan theory that connects V'ger to the Borg somehow?

It's implied in Star Trek Online, where the largest Borg ships are clearly modeled on the V'Ger shape.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

They use particle beams, so armor is quite useful to disperse the energy actually. Though sometimes the ships also have shields? They don't sweat the details, like there are apparently a ton of restrictions on how FTL works but zero information on it. Stop asking.

LoGH shields have the same degree of usefulness that SW starfighter shields do.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cythereal posted:

No worse than the Akira, Steamrunner, or NX classes.

The NX and Akiras at least don't have the problem of of the Steamrunners and Oberons in attempting to route access through the nacelles.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Although speaking of ships that are just taking the "head" of an existing ship and building out a bit of a different body to make it into a different kind of ship with different purposes: The KDY Pelta Frigate.

It's clearly derived from the Tantive IV CR90, from both its general shape and the front of it having that kind of barrel head, but all the guns taken off. This guy's a peaceful ship. Also a comm tower and hinged engines. It can even land!

It should be just a built-out CR90 (or CR70), which would make more sense, but they've clearly made the thing much larger that that.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

tadashi posted:

I wouldn't mind more Warhammer 40k ships in my life but I don't know where to begin.

Before Battlefleet Gothic, there was Space Fleet, and the star of the show was the Imperial Gothic-class battleship, which was decanonized, I guess, but is still my favorite:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I propose that all the various internal arrangements of the D-7/K'tinga/etc drawn up by fans over the years are wrong, and that only normally manned portion of the ship was the forward pod.

in this essay, I will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Its like heat on a ship, rarely do they mention anything about it, and it can be assumed there is some kind of heat shunting or recycling that the ship has. Even realistic sci fi doesn't deal with this is noticed, but again, just assume they have super efficent heat sinks or something.

Though this, and other science stuff, are left out because the writer(s) just didn't think about it.

In the novel for 2001, Discovery had giant radiator fins, but they didn't put them in the movie because Kubrick didn't like how they looked.