Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Shameful that we have gone this many pages and this many mentions without anyone actually posting the Space Battleship Yamato itself. Guess it's up to me to bring the incredibly unfortunate WW2 apologia and colossally phallic space guns to this thread.

The OG itself, the Yamato, literally the IJN Yamato of WW2 infamy hollowed out and crammed full of alien technology on loan from some space lady because the bad nazi aliens (who are really just misunderstood, we promise you guys) nuked all of Earth's oceans away which meant that there was this already conveniently built hunk of near-invincible steel in the shape of a ship right here on the surface for us to use what luck - yes we are ignoring the fact that the actual IJN Yamato is in two halves miles apart from each other and full of holes. And then because humanity is also better at this whole space war thing then everybody else we thought hey why not also have the insane space engine the good alien gave us be connected to a giant gun barrel on the front of the ship, and thus the planet-cracking Wave Motion Gun was born, and used to settle the vast majority of problems in the original show. This thing has it all, bigass energy weapons, torpedo and missile launchers, that war crime at the front, a contingent of space marines armed with space panzerfausts, and it even carries a squadron of fighters somehow, which are also conveniently named after WW2 japanese aircraft. It's a better battlestar than the galactica!

But we gotta give honorable mention to the Yamato's own personal Excelsior, the Andromeda

Intended to be the new and best space battleship in Earth's fleet after the Yamato saved the day the first time, human engineers looked at the idea of building an actual space ship with 3d gun coverage and more sensible weapon placement and all that, said nah, and then just bolted a second war crime cannon to the thing. And it worked because the Andromeda wound up being one of the coolest looking spaceships in this particular era of pulpy sci-fi even if it did get chumped by its predecessor because it simply didn't have that Yamato Spirit.

If you were a dumb kid who loved star trek and WW2 ships and then your dad came home one day with a bunch of bootleg VHSs of the original american run of this show it was the tightest poo poo ever, and there's honestly a ton of cool designs in here that are utterly nonsensical but are great "wet navy in space" aesthetic. It even got a remake that cut most of the really nationalist poo poo out called Space Battleship Yamato 2199, which is a decent watch if you can deal with anime to get your space fights fix.

Also this was a few pages back but holy poo poo other people played Infinite Space. I thought that game was a fever dream I had.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Agreed, Space Battleship Yamato is a lot of fun. The art direction of 2199 is, to me, the ideal of a remake; it looks like it was made by people who loved the original and wanted to make higher-fidelity versions of the old designs.

My biggest complaint about 2199 is that the men got great updated uniform designs, and the women almost all got stuck in plugsuits. It was really unnecessary and gross.

Hey now, they gave the female uniforms belts, that's an update! Why no there are no belt loops and they just sorta sit on their hips but it's still an update!

(2199 is horny as hell so be aware of that if you go for a watch. Still worth it tho.)