Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fractured Space is a very dead game, and probably the only moba-like I actually enjoyed, that I thought did a very good job in differentiating the different ship manufacturers' designs.

TDS ships had the most stereotypically futuristic look to them, rounded plating hiding chunky internals.

USR used weaponized NASA rockets.

And Zarek ships were all brute and industrial, harkening back to more 70s and 80s sci-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sajuuk owns and all of HW designs are great but my absolute favourite is the Hiigaran battlecruiser.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I'd thought Infinite Fleet sounded cool right up until...

quote:

Revolutionary Sci-Fi #MMO game from @Pixelmatic, with a #Bitcoin sidechain based game currency.
Also.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

twistedmentat posted:

I actually think TIE Crawlers appeared in Dark Empire first. They showed up in a lot of video games though.
Yeah, was just gonna say, I know them from Empire At War.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Taintrunner posted:

Oh poo poo, nobody really beat me to The Expanse which is the best sci-fi show on television since the BSG reboot. Just leaps and bounds above Star Trek, with some really incredible grounded ship design that actually makes some attempt to follow the laws of physics.

The Rocinante is a Martian-designed light torpedo frigate with a ton of miniguns strapped to it, it also manages to grow a railgun later on in the series. Great manuverability, and the design of the interiors is really great stuff as well - just incredibly well thought out, especially considering how much time is spent with the camera on the inside of this thing.
You just posted a picture of a Kushan heavy cruiser.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Starsector's got some cool ship design and my definite favourite is the mid-tech battlecruiser, the Conquest.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Yeah I haven't played in years.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Musluk posted:

I see no mentions of FreeSpace but lotsa obscure ds games, what he hell spaceships thread???

Anyway here's my favorite FreeSpace ships:

The GTVA COLOSSUS. It's big, it's green, it's ugly, and it does the job. It's also a goddamn rifle.

In comes Hatshepsut. Good lord look at this sleek motherfucker. It's also a capital ship, not a fancy destroyer.

But I guess the Shivans take the cake with their insectoid/arachnid design.

Sathanas, loving up poor GTVA Colossus.

Okay fine, they're all capital ships, what about smallscale?

My favorite has to be the Medusa bomber.

This guy is not hiding what it's doing.

And as for the comedy option, the cocknballs Perseus:

I <3 the Erinyes

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

muscles like this! posted:

The Culture stuff is getting a TV from Amazon.

Something grimly ironic about this, but I'll probably check it out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

For a game made by ex-Homeworld devs, I always thought Sins of a Solar Empire and relatively lame ship design. But they definitely got better at it, culminating in their Titans, gigantic super units with a plethora of abilities. They fit their factions well, for example TEC's were floating brick shithouses, Advent's were overdesigned and ritualistic, Vasari's looked semi-organic. My favourite were the Advent Rebel's Eradica, a real work of art

and the Vasari Loyalist's manta-like Vorastra, which could literally devour entire enemy fleets whole.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

nine-gear crow posted:

You should check out the Star Trek Armada III mod for Sins of a Solar Empire. It is stupidly well done and a worthy successor to both Armada and Armada II if you've ever played either game.

Oh yeah, I've played the Armada games and the very excellent Fleet Ops mod for the second. I've also played the Armada III mod for Sins and it's a ridiculously impressive piece of work. Almost certainly the best mod for the game, and the same team is also working on a series of era-focused conversions that really change how it plays.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

:eng101: Almost all of the concept art in Homeworld/Homeworld2 is credited to Art Director Rob Cunningham and Lead Artist J. Aaron Kambeitz, neither of whom worked on Sins of a Solar Empire. For the most part, Rob C designed the Kushan ships and JAK designed the Taiidan. Both of them are at Blackbird Interactive which is working on a Homeworld 3 so I'm cautiously optimistic on the game!

https://well-of-souls.com/homeworld/concept/hw_concept.htm
https://well-of-souls.com/homeworld/concept/hw_storyboards.htm
https://well-of-souls.com/homeworld/hw2/concept.htm

Oh, I know. Trust me, I know.

I absolutely adored HW:DoK and people seem big into Shipbreaker so they're two for two in my book.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

twistedmentat posted:

There's a similarly good star wars mod out there too.

I wish I remember what it was called off the top of my head.

Guessing your thinking of Thrawn's Revenge II, that's the big one. Not a huge fan and in general I think trek-tech makes for more interesting games in general.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ego-bot posted:

I've always liked the Ragnarov Titan. A ship designed around a massive rail gun.

Yeah, it's solid, I just hadn't found a good picture of it. :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't that for Galaxy at War? I was thinking of Interregnum.

But I agree that Star Trek fits better with SoaSE's gameplay. THough I wish it wasn't just TNG era ships, I wish it had TOS and movie era ships (and I guess disco ships too).
There was a 40k mod at one point but I don't think they ever released a working version. That's too bad, because while i like BFG games, they're a bit to fiddly for me.
Ah, I never played Interregnum. Thawn's Revenge is an Empire at War mod, yeah, but then they made a sequel for SoaSE.

As for Star Trek, like I mentioned, the Armada III people have a new mod out set just before TOS which might give you some of what you're looking for. Some really impressive visuals too: https://www.moddb.com/mods/ages-of-the-federation

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bootcha posted:

Speaking of Sword of the Stars...

And for me, mid 20's me got a real kick out of this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58HMl-5-l2w

SOTS2 looked so good and thank god I didn't preorder it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I always thought the Kestrel from the Escape Velocity games was a classically cool endgame ship design. Would be cool to see a modern take on it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

EVN was almost 20 years ago dude, not sure that counts as "modern." But yes, there it is, though I think it was outclassed in that particular game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I'll just say it: I'd like an Endless game with all its great art but as an RTS.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Polaron posted:

That's an interesting re-imagining of the UE Cruiser:

Oh cool, so they are redoing the graphics after all, despite not hitting that stretch goal.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

The Spartan program and what they're really there for or why they really exist is kept secret from nearly everyone (including nearly all the military, who for all they really know, outside of some higherups, they're just good soldiers and it's all a next-gen weapons platform thing) and when the Covenant war ends, and the UNSC relinquishes control back to the civilian government, they immediately go "so how did you make those Mister Chiefs anyway, we should probably have more", realize it was a mega crime against humanity, and immediately start looking into trying people for said crimes, and the Spartan program changes into a "give volunteering really good soldiers cybernetic enhancements" program.

Halo 1 through Reach the backstory is mostly as you say, the outer colonies want self-rule, the Earth government doesn't want to let them because Earth can't sustain itself without them, and rather than full on war or granting independence they look into assassinations and killteams by making the Spartan program (this part's kind of a "but why" though), which is then sort of like a lucky break that they can move into assassinations of the Covenant high command instead. Halo 4 changes it so it's apparently written in our dna to eventually want to create Master Chief, jackoff suit and all, after we lost a war with the ancient aliens who punished us by turning us into monkey men but just in case the alien megavirus monster attacks again, they want us to be able to defend ourselves in the future since we were runners-up in dealing with it, so we were going to sooner or later anyway. No, really.

Isn't Johnson technically an early/proto-Spartan? Were they made for use against the colonies also ore just the Master Chef ones?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Oooooooo, wood-panelling on spaceships is something I never thought I wanted but there it is.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I see you've read the design notes for Infinite Fleet.

Ah yes, the bitcoin game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Star Citizen 0.5, aka Freelancer's ship design wasn't exactly "traditionally" cool, but it definitely gave the different factions a strong identity.

Liberty ships were art-deco, 'Murica eagles

Rheinland's were industrial and workmanlike

Whereas Kusari's were more delicate and refined

And Bretonia's were fish

Meanwhile the various independent factions pretty much ditched the animal motifs, but whatcha gonna do. :shrug:

Mordja fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 1, 2021