Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

Nadesico is a great anime, its too bad it was forgotten like so many 90s classics. It also has like the most meta anime thing where a lot of characters in into this pitch perfect Go Nagai 70s mecha anime series called Giekiganger 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl4JVo87L9w

I don't know if its streaming anywhere, i only have Crunchy Roll and i don't see it there.

Star Ship bridges, I always feel like they were designed more about shooting in the bridge over it making military sense. Trek bridges are great for this because you can keep the Captain in almost any shot while showing a good majority of the bridge.

Yeah it was the first series I ever saw due to having a friend in high school who was obsessed with mecha anime but it seems to have dropped off the radar entirely. Specifically (spoilers for an obscure 90s anime??) several characters on the Nadesico were fans of Gekigengar 3 but halfway through the series, the enemy Jovians, which were always said to be alien lizards, were actually revealed to be humans from a failed space colony who also based their entire culture around Gekigengar and took it super seriously to the point of it being their quasi-religion. I loved at the time how a major plot element of the series was the anime version of the stock Star Trek "some space colony bases their entire culture around some random pop culture artifact left behind years ago" plot that was the plot of a lot of TOS episodes.

The flipside of Star Trek and such bridges being designed for easy shooting is all the big multi-level monstrosity anime bridges that have been posted recently, which were presumably designed like that since they weren't bound by the limitations of having to build a physical set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Robot Style posted:

It's a shame Star Wars has essentially replaced the Lego space line for the last 10 years, because some of the stuff they were doing before they canned it looks like a fun change of pace from slightly updated X-wings and TIEs every year.

Also not just that but with the generic space sets since there was no real "story" to them my brother and I just used the parts from them to create our own original ships and characters, act out stories with them which we would later turn into written sci-fi stories and so on. And the sets supported doing stuff like that by always showing alternate things you could build with the same parts. I feel that kids are probably less creative with the Star Wars ones where there's more of just one "correct" way to build them supported by the movie franchise and the figures that come with them are based on characters from the movies, etc.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Lazy Fair posted:

Maybe its just because I grew up watching TNG on TV, but even decades later the interiors of the Enterprise-D still look like "The Future" to me.

Sure it's obviously influenced by the styles of the 80's with all the beige, but features such as the carpeting, large sweeping windows, curved surfaces, occasional natural materials, and large soft lighting panels make it feel like it's built by a civilization which was rapidly surpassing mundane utilitarian designs in space ships. Another huge factor is the LCARS display design, which I feel is pure genius. It basically looks like abstract art, and the ubiquitous use of touchscreen displays was a surprising degree of foresight.

Yeah also love the Enterprise D interiors. The beige might be a bit dated but it's a nice change from 90% of other sci-fi ship interiors being gray or white, including most of the other Star Treks like Voyager and Enterprise.

Animal-Mother posted:

Fun times aboard this little guy!

Saw that colony ship for sale the other day, cheap....

That is a fanart right, or is it rare official art? Either way it looks a lot better than the small in-game sprite of it you see from the Pfhor ship which I always thought was the only official picture of the outside.

Have to wonder why there's so much lava inside the Marathon, with it just being an asteroid converted into a spaceship.