Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Some day we shall develop guns that double as engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I very deliberately set out to have all my ships in No Man's Sky be white and purple.

You maniac! Spaceships aren't purple!!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Brawnfire posted:

What *is* happening? Are there two ships or one in that picture? It looks almost like a ship that has a four-legged body and a little neck with a green head that pivots around.

My uncle owned a book (mentioned upthread) that had all these spaceship images with some text added to create a kind of spotter's guide to spacecraft. It was peak 70's and included an absurdly optimistic timeline with entries like "1981, first base built on Mars" and "1995, faster than light drive perfected."
Anyway, since there was nothing to do at my relatives' place besides read that spaceship book cover to cover, I can confirm that yes, this is an asteroid-mining ship designed to grip into stuff with those "legs" while the green-coloured highly mobile fusion furnace blaster whatever melts the rocks down.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I got all inspired by this thread to draw some spaceships. Turns out it's REALLY HARD and I gave up after 5 minutes.
Any space artists ITT? Tell me your secrets

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

MikeJF posted:

Draw from a single orthographic side shot and pretend it'll work in all the other angles.

Way ahead of you on that one!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The way I do it is try drawing out like a blueprint of like the side and top, maybe even front and back to have an idea of the physical shape of the ship that you're trying to draw, and then you can draw a more dynamic view of the ship from an angle. The original Star Wars Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels is the best example.

And when you're drawing out the full vehicle shape, you're essentially building it out of simpler shapes. You can see how the artist in that book uses a lot of guidelines to help him figure out the ship's position and orientation in 3D space, that's a common drafting technique. If you're trying to invent your own kind of vehicle to draw you can do a bunch of small preliminary sketches to help brainstorm, and if you're drawing something from an established property, there's nothing wrong with using references.

Many people who like to draw will often say that they have trouble drawing vehicles, and a large part of that is because your brain is designed to want to recognize faces and the human form, and you can just kinda feel it out more. When drawing inanimate objects you either have to just figure out the mechanics of how simple shapes build up into a larger one, or you have to trick your brain into using something like its facial recognition systems for the objects so you can go more freeform.

But most importantly, don't be afraid to fail! Doing stuff is hard, and it's common for a piece of art to look terrible when you're only partway through.

Sound advice. I'll stick with it.
Have you considered posting any of your own stuff itt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Over in the book forum there's been an excellent Let's Read of the beloved 90's kid's sci-fi series ANIMORPHS. It features whacky hijinks and also the good guys commit multiple genocides and the bad guys can only survive by inflicting the worst mental torture imaginable on other sentient beings.
Anywho, we're nearly at the end of the read-through, and, well-

Tree Bucket posted:

Hi, my name's Tree Bucket and I'm 37 years old, and here is a cool Andalite space fighter that I drew. SHOOOOM.
It's as close as I can get to Elfangor's ship as described in book 1.