Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

You're in luck, as there are some cool insane Trek fans. I personally love the floor plans made by super-Trek nerd Franz Joseph made up in the 1970s and then submitted to Roddenberry, who made a quick buck by allowing him to license them. Then in Star Trek I and II, you can actually see the blueprints used as props on the screens in the background of the bridge.

Recently, another superfan has edited those 1970s floor plans and made them a bit more logical and also matched them to certain episode scenes:

He also has other floorplans of other TOS-era ships that Franz Joseph made up, including the early no-engineering section ship that was turned into the Reliant for ST II. Most of the others are pretty meh, but the three-nacelle Dreadnaught version of a Federation ship is really interesting as it has the bridge NOT exposed on top but buried in the saucer, along with like flag offices and tactical stations surrounding it and such.

Edit - the reason there isn't many good books made is because the Trek license has been a quagmire of rights issues until recently. The movie ships were different licensing than the tv show ships, etc. Also, since the JJ Abrams movie in 2009, the people behind Star Trek's visual effects really have done a 180 from having some of the most thought-out and super nerdy effort put into the designs of ships to just having the ships be lazy cgi things designed to look cool. Basically designs by idiots for idiots.

Case in point, this is what the insides of ships look like in Star Trek Discovery.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

EVE Online has some cool ship ideas, even if that game itself is a huge quagmire of drama... much like Star Citizen, I assume.

I've always liked the world that the game made for itself, with the ship pilots being in complete direct control of their ships (to emulate a player playing them in game) and being buried in tightly armored capsules-cockpits deep within the ship.

The ships themselves still had hundreds if not thousands of poor saps obeying the commands of the pilot and doing maintenance and loading guns and poo poo, but they were all much more expendable than the pilot themself.

It kind of reminds me of a logical extrapolation of drone warfare in an over populated setting: the people who pilot the drone ships will be safe and sound far away, but its cheaper to get expendable schmucks to load the canons and grease the gears onboard than to make more machines do it, even if those guys will go down with the ship.

Edit - they actually made an incredibly cross sections book of EVE Frigates, which is one of the smallest ship sizes. I love that due to the "you play as a space ship!" nature of the game, the in-game camera is always making your ship about the same size relative to the player viewpoint... but even this small ship size is loving huge to an in-game human bystander.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 25, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Legit good painting there of Starship Titanic.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

I honestly liked the feeling in TOS that there were like 12 Constellation ships total and maybe like another 10 other Starfleet ships… in all.

The whole giant space dock thing of Star Trek 3 really kind of ruined the feeling of the ships being huge and special.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Treguna Mekoides posted:

I think it may be due to how so many ships are sleek, but I love the look of the Peacekeeper Marauder drop ships in Farscape. They're just a shape I don't see much. Their shape and design immediately telegraph that they're a thankless grunt ship full of meat for the grinder.

I'm a huge Farscape fan but I don't think I've ever seen what it looked like from the front, as it's always always portrayed from behind.

Farscape has some great minimalist ship designs, mostly due to their cgi budget. Plus the stylized/"painted" look of the cgi really has allowed them to mostly age well.