Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

A 6 month old spaceship thread with no mention of Stargate? :raise: The aliens in that show knew that once your tech is advanced enough, there is no excuse for a lack of aesthetics.

The OG Ha'tak loving rules. Why would your ship need a front or back when it has reactionless engines?

It's big.

It's mean.

It's bristling with guns.

Thor's original ship was badass too, moreso than the sleek, chromed-up Asgard ships that followed it. Unfortunately there aren't many decent pics of it, probably due to the age of the source material.

Naturally his ship has a mjolnir thing going on.

Lightshow:

What do you do when someone breaks the protected planets treaty? Beam their poo poo the gently caress outta there lol:

Or that one where they're on the Alternative Earth that is being invaded by Apothis and they speed run the first Asgard episode and a single Asgard ship is enough to have Apothis run away the second they detect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vavrek posted:

Does real life count as a medium?

I really appreciated the clip of what it looked like when filming 2001. :stare: Everybody always talks about The Shining or the moon landing with Kubrick. I hadn't actually seen what they had build for the centrifuge of the Discovery.

Has anyone mentioned Discovery One? I think I saw 2010 before 2001, so I'll post that:

A dust-covered, slowly spinning, abandoned space ship. All those aboard are dead or ... gone. What happened here?

I just watched a thing about 2010 last night and It made me want to go back and watch it but its nowhere. The Russian ship is pretty cool with its rotating section. I think that was the first time I'd seen that before.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Yeah, the contrast between the Leonov and the Discovery is great

I always wondering did they have magnetic shoes to move outside of the rotating section? When Bowman is walking in the suit, hes moving with such careful precision I assumed he was, but only the black spots on the floor were magnetic.

That reminds me, I am totally okay with gravity fields or plating or whatever magic wand tech they need to use to not have everything be zero G. Even the Expanse, which takes this all into account, still has a lot of reasons not to just have everything floating around.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bug Squash posted:

In all fairness, constant acceleration and rotating sections are the only two ways to manage artificial gravity without space magic. As far as I'm aware Expanse is the only sci-fi show to have ever opted for acceleration.

They have rotational gravity on stations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always want to buy those SW books but they're all so expensive.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I had to make do with this book:

loving loved that book, and the whole series. I only owned the Monsters one but I'd borrow them from the library at school every time i could. The alien on the cover looks so goofy.

I like that Star Wars ships are multiple functions, you have giant battleships like the Star Destroyers, and small personal transports that one or two people can scoot around the galaxy in comfort. Its like how nature will fill every niche, designers and engineers in Star Wars will fill every niche for space ships.

Though as is pointed out, Star Trek does tend to focus on ships that are part of a nations military or government. Small personal ships tend to be fairly rare and when they are, the bunkbed and previa comparisons are apt.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember watching something about why the US was having so much trouble in Iraq and Afghanistan and it talked about how Rumsfeld and Cheney wanted to make the army this super fast and light force, less tanks and heavy APCs, more zippy transports with no armor and a 50cal on the roof. They wanted this because they felt no enemy could withstand the US military might so why waste money on expensive things to keep the troops from dying. It talked about how if they did go to war with Iran with this force, the invasion would be a disaster because unlike the other two countries, Iran actually has a modern military and has been expecting the US to invade for decades, though they also talked about how many Americans feel that all countries in that part of the world are people living in tents and caves wearing robes and can't possibly put up a fight against the US.

In the first Expanse book, Holden upon seeing the Donnager thinks about how no one puts any effort into style and design on ships anymore. They're all basically just skyscrapers and that's all they look like, boxes with engines, guns and missile tubes on them. Purely functional.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Remember in the Star Trek timeline by the 90s there was widespread genetic engineering and also the ability to build sleeper ships. Clearly space travel became a major focus of world governments in Trek's past. Guess they were doing that at the same time they were shoving unemployed people in ghettos.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Icedude posted:

I'm surprised there's been no mention of the ND-001 Nadesico yet, which is a shame as I love this stupid thing.

The Nadesico's very much a "what if White Base and the Enterprise had a hosed up baby" ship, but I love the weird forward-pointing nacelle design. I can't really remember what they're for (they might be the phase-transition engines, but I thought those were in the rear engine nacelles with the nuclear pulse engines), but I do remember there's also a bunch of vertical-launch missile tubes in them, so that's cool.

Its spinal main gun is a gravity blast cannon, which literally just rips targets apart with gravity which is neat. I couldn't find a gif of them using it in-atmosphere, but when they do it has a black beam with yellow lightning around it which looks way better than the generic yellow laser they use to get it to show up in space:

The bridge also has a really weird design too. The captain stands all the way up at the back on the next floor up looking down towards the helm, and then there's a giant video screen floor that the mech pilots all sit around (which is redundant as everything gets shown on hologram screens anyway). It's at the very tip of the 'saucer' and all surrounded by giant windows that makes even the Enterprise's bridge look armoured up. It makes no sense for a warship, but it gives some dramatic shots.

Later in the series, they add on the Y-unit to the ship which while giving it a ridiculous warcrimes gun that literally destroys the fabric of space, also it kinda ruins how the ship looks.

In that configuration it's called the Yamato Nadesico :nallears:

Oh, and the 'saucer' comes off too, just like the Enterprise:

In the sequel, a Japan-only Sega Saturn game, and underwhelming movie set after that, there's the NS-955B Nadesico B. It's blue and has a sick spoiler on the saucer, and an even more ridiculous bridge that I couldn't find a pic of:

There's also the NS-966C Nadesico C which is a bullshit Deus Ex Machina, and for some reason has a second saucer under the ship and a third front nacelle. It looks kinda dumb, but they turned the entire front nacelle assembly into a giant gravity blast cannon so that's cool:

Nadesico is a great anime, its too bad it was forgotten like so many 90s classics. It also has like the most meta anime thing where a lot of characters in into this pitch perfect Go Nagai 70s mecha anime series called Giekiganger 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl4JVo87L9w

I don't know if its streaming anywhere, i only have Crunchy Roll and i don't see it there.

Star Ship bridges, I always feel like they were designed more about shooting in the bridge over it making military sense. Trek bridges are great for this because you can keep the Captain in almost any shot while showing a good majority of the bridge.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hunter Noventa posted:

Nozomi Entertainment's youtube channel has all of Nadeisco, on top of a lot of other older anime, all for free, which is pretty cool.

OH sweet. It also has Dirty Pair and Utena too.

SlothfulCobra posted:

So this here's the Moomo Williwaw.

It's sort of a class of ship that doesn't often get a lot of focus. Sort of a small-to-midsize gunboat. Maybe bigger than a house, but just loaded up with a bunch of guns. It's also an in-universe bad design. See, Star Wars is really big on outboard cockpits, but this ship has two outboard cockpits, and those are two cockpits with equal control over the ship. Not like some dual-bridge ships where the bridges are for independent purposes, just each cockpit with equal control. The idea was supposed to be that the copilots could have control over the guns on each of their sides of the ship, but in the hands of the Ithorian bounty hunter brother duo the Moomo brothers, they'd end up fighting over control of the ship and gently caress things up.

Before the ship was in Moomo hands, it has a further backstory. It was officially designated as the Pelagia Duplex Command Assault Gunship. It was actually derived off of a more successful model of gunship with a richer history, but the idea behind this ship was to just double the amount of guns, but it didn't really work out. Many of the guns interfere with eachother's arcs, and there's no real angle where most of the guns can be brought to bare on a single target, and the guy who originally commissioned it never even picked it up, so it just sat where it was until the Moomo brothers got their hands on it.

It also has some nice interior shots. Interesting to think about how much stairs there are when you have a ship that's built more vertically on the inside than horizontally. There's Malak in engineering.

And the main reason I got to like this ship is from finding Dustin Weaver's concept art. Just such a weird jumble of things.

That thing is awesome, what is it from? It looks like what Dr Aphra wold pilot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's from the old Knights of the Old Republic comic back in the Dark Horse days. The comic doesn't really draw too much from the games directly (especially with how different the depiction of Taris was) but it ends up as sort of a prequel with the protagonist and his friends zooming around the Republic during the Mandalorian wars. It's real neat, although the plot does wander a little after a while.

Weird, I loved that last era of Star Wars comics from Dark Horse and i honestly don't remember that ship at all. I do remember the Arkanian space elf girl being pretty cute though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That red and white ship looks like a Chris Foss ship.

He always did organic looking ships with interesting paint schemes.
https://www.iamag.co/the-art-of-chris-foss/

Like any ship designed by him is one of my favorites.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Lingering shots of space ships are not what people watch Sci-fi for! They watch for characters crying or making out, or making out and crying!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I found some early artwork for Rogue One before they settled on the U-Wing and they all have some serious Vietnam era Huey vibes as well as the obvious LAAT from the Clone Wars.

Gotta say, I think my favourite type of spaceship is the one where you can see right through it.

I'm a big fan of these. I also am a sucker for anything with a ventral or dorsal bubble turret.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Literally the only thing I like about the Starfortress bomber is that that it has about three ball turrets. They can make anything look better.

Even something classic like a Y-wing:

But, I'm also going to be controversial and say that the suicide turrets on the LAAT did not look good.

I mean, it already had two ball turrets on the wings, a tail cannon, two beam turrets on the nose, underslung rockets on the wings and giant mass drivers. No other Star Wars ship had even half that amount of random shooty bits attached to it. And the front turrets just weren't integrated with the rest of the design. They were just sticking out there.

The space capable version looked much better.

But, if you had to have another ball turret, replace the two beam cannons under the cockpit with one. That keeps the lines of the LAAT intact while still allowing for its crazy firepower.

The LAAT might as well be from Warhammer, 40k with all its guns. It actually reminds me a bit of the stormraven.

Though thinking about it, AOTC came out way before that model was released so its clearly the other way, though my point still stands, SW stuff rarely has that many guns.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The_Doctor posted:

There’s something really Ghibli-esque about that. Like it’s from Nausicaa or something.

Yea, the earth tone paint job and its rounded, organic shape really screams Nausicaa.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sullat posted:

I always liked this ship. Couldn't find a still from the movie itself though.

Isn't that the Valley Forge from Silent Running?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SlothfulCobra posted:

How about this ship.

It's got its main weapon on a rear orb.

I hope when they fire the main gun the captain goes "fire the ORB" :orb:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Brawnfire posted:

Just recalling an old love of mine

I just realized that the neck isn't solid, its a negative space.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm playing through Mass Effect Legendary collection and I just started ME2, and when you go to talk to Joker when you get the SR2 Normandy, he straight up says "Military ships have the tech, but civilian ships have comfort".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I very deliberately set out to have all my ships in No Man's Sky be white and purple.

I never got far enough in NMS to get a new ship.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
All those cool STO ships got me to reinstall and i forgot why i stopped playing was because every mission i had was "fight a Dr'drex" which will gently caress you up big time if you make a single mistake.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The_Doctor posted:

This one is straight up Mass Effect. Those engines look just like the Normandy’s:

I just finished a full playthrough of ME Legendary and like i knew I loved the Normandy before, but drat is it a cool ship. The upgrade from 1 to 2 just improves on it. I love how the interior of the ship makes logical sense for what the outside looks like, also that the inside is a separate pressure hull than the outside. Of course most ships would be like a submarine, its exterior hull would contain interior hulls so if one is punctured the others may not be.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RBA Starblade posted:

I appreciated how ME3 has the SR-2 retrofitted to the SR-1's military standards (and it's incomplete at that)

The_Doctor posted:

I love that there’s trailing cables everywhere, giving it a real sense of being a rush job.

Yea, this is probably my ME3's Normandy is my favorite. I also like how its very clear that the crew is just people who were working on the retrofit and therefor are out of their depth.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

galagazombie posted:

I for one am not a big fan of the Normandy redesign. It removed the awesome moving wings and a lot of the curves and chrome that gave the SR1 (and ME1’s art design in general) that golden age sci fi look. 2&3 made everything too modern and boxy looking and lost 1’s throwback charm. Like Shepards armor goes from wearing some form fitting body glove to generic “space marine” armor.

But making the armor modular was a good idea. When i play as a class that can only were light armor, which most of the interesting classes, you can only wear light armor and you end up wearing the same armor for most of the game until you can find a colossus.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Spacedock got a real bug up their collective butts that space ships in sci-fi don't have big radiators to get rid of heat. And all i can think of "if you can travel faster than light you can develop tech that reclaims or shunts waste heat so you don't need big gently caress off radiators sticking out of your ship".

I know its a channel for pendants but its one of those things that yuo can say "hey its cool they did this on this ship" but then complaining about it when you talk about Star Trek ships is a bit silly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I used to play the KA Earth Attack skirmish all the time. The best part was they took that cool shot of the photon blasting through the saucer as something you could do in game. You could also blow nacells off.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bucnasti posted:

I never played Klingon Academy but most of these designs look very familiar to me, we’re they used in any other games?

Pretty sure most if not all of them were reused in Starfleet Command 1 and probably 2. I liked that the story behind the Senator and Imperium class ships was they were the first Romulan designed ships since the original warbird. All the others had been built on using the D-7 hull as a starting point, while those two were designed from the ground up by the Romulans.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

It has Jared Harris in it but for some reason they redubbed his voice.

Okay, this has bothered me for years. I saw his name in IMDB but I didn't remember him at all in the film. He's basically like 20 in the movie, but yea, redubbing his voice makes him basically unrecognizable.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Titan AE is such an ugly movie because they couldn't decide on an art style. If had been purely animation or purely CGI it might have been fine.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I couldn't get over Treasure Planet's main character, this ain't your daddys Jim Hawkins! He's a super cool dude with 'tude that skyboards and has a ponytail AND an undershave! But then I've gone on the record to being heavily turned off on 90s cool characters.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SlothfulCobra posted:

I get rejecting the skateboarding as just an attempt to go "how are you fellow teens", but I like it. It even makes a nice finale for the movie when Jim jury-rigs a spare thruster with a foot pedal to outrace an explosion. Better than Disney's Tarzan rollerblading for some reason.

My teenage self is in my brain going "God i loving hate that stupid poo poo. He doesn't look cool! He looks like what a 45 year old executive is telling me is cool! That movie looks stupid and pandering to kids not old enough to actually be with it".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bill Posters posted:

I found an almost pristine copy of the third book in the series ("SpaceWreck: Ghost Ships and Derelicts of Space") for just a few dollars at a small-town used book store a couple of years ago.

I'd love to get the rest one day but the prices are a bit spicy for decent copies.

I mentioned it before but i had that book as a kid and would pour over it endlessly. Just looking at the pictures but as i got older I actually read the attached captions and stories so I got a lot more out of it.

It was probably sold at one of my parents yard sales before they moved into a condo after i had moved out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yup, if its got space ships, robots, lasers and for some reason guys in capes that are also in space, I would watch it when i was a kid. I had Star Crash beta taped off TV and watched it over and over and over. Also Ice Pirates. I mean I had other, like good sci fi movies, but i also taped any trash that showed up too.

I wanted to watch the classic blakes 7 intro, I love the shot made up of boxes to replicate a computer screen, but youtube is awash with peoples attempts to make modern versions on it. No, don't.

Oh well, here's the Space 1999 intro, which is the funkiest sci fi intro ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SpX8bVEmJo

TOS Star Trek might have bongos, but Space 1999 has some sweet wa wa guitar and bending of notes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Madurai posted:

More to the point, Space:1999 has the Eagles, which were cool enough to carry an entire show.

Oh yea I meant to mention the Eagles in the quoted post. They are great, and I think what I love about them is they are a clear attempt to make something that keeps in the style of NASA of the time.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Speaking of budgets, Hardspace Shipbreaker just came out of Early Access and has been officially released. Seems like a cool thing for if you like spaceships. Disassemble them for salvage.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1161580/Hardspace_Shipbreaker/

I actually don't have a PC capable of playing it, but there are plans to bring it to console later.

This has been on my steam wishlist for ever, and of course its on Gamepass now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Slashrat posted:

No movie was ever going to be able to live up to the book, but I thought it was fun all the same. Doesn't matter if it diverged, because when has a HGttG adaption not diverged wildly from the source material?

Adams said there was no true version of the story, you can take whichever one you want to be your favorite but don't act like the Book is more the true vision than the TV or the Radio play. Though the movie really isn't that good. They spent a lot of time on stuff invented purely for the movie.

I really loved the shot after using the drive one of the time, they come back and they're briefly yarn and when Dent throws up, his mouth is full of yarn and he just looks so confused.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sebmojo posted:

Tbf a lot of that stuff was invented by adams himself

I thought the whole Sneeze religion came in at the script done after his death? It's been a while so maybe I'm wrong. Anways, its a very silly addition because it literally goes nowhere.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MikeJF posted:

It's just like one brief paragraph/mention in those, isn't it?

Yea no wonder i didn't remember it. But again, it goes nowhere. You are made to think that getting the "make everyone feel like you do" gun for them would go somewhere but nope.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bucnasti posted:

Supposedly Gene had some rough rules for how nacelles needed to be arranged on warp drive starships.

Warp nacelles *must* be in pairs.
Warp nacelles must have at least 50% line-of-sight on each other across the hull.
Both warp nacelles must be fully visible from the front.
The bridge must be located at the top center of the primary hull.

This helps explain why the Klingon ships have a similar arrangement to the federation ships.

This is why the d'dredrex has that negative space in the middle, so the nacelles can see each other.

This does not explain the bird of prey or ferengi marauder lacking that design aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You can't really expect continuity and consistency from a man blasted out of his mind on coke and pills.

This is true. Coke, pills and harassing the women around him.

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

The Marauder has a concave underside, so the nacelles have line of sight. I don't recall any explanation for the Bird of Prey though. Maybe there's a tunnel between the nacelles inside the ship.

You know the one I had as a model when was I was a teen had a flat bottom. I never knew that.