Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I put googly eyes on a bunch of my models for the Xwing miniatures game.

They are superior to all other ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

galagazombie posted:

I have no poo poo bought ships from both X-Wing and Armada with no intention of using them in-game simply because it's the only way to get high quality movie accurate models for some ships without paying $600 dollars for a 30 year old model from Japan, if at all.

Relatedly, theres no way to get a good model for the N64 design of the Arwing from Starfox. Say what you will about it being about talking animals and memes about barrel rolls. Strafed 64 was filled to the brim with amazing designs. One thing I always loved about the Arwing is how its design acknowledges that there's no air in space. The wings are articulated and fold up behind the ship when you leave atmosphere.

It’s less true for Xwing, but a significant portion of sales for Armada are collectors with no intention of playing.

I know lots of people who have bought Xwing and armada models for that reason.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wow it's everything I hate about the TIE Defender, but worse somehow.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Starfleet is very anxious about being an armed military, so they put a lot of effort into justifying what a ship could do in peacetime.

What if instead of having a nice smooth hull for all your spaceship parts to fit inside, you just loosely tied all the bits together and went "good enough"?

This is a board game about building a spaceship and then flying through space on a perilous truck route.

Players have to draw an place tiles under a time limit and make sure that they get all the modules they want and that they're connected properly with no exposed connectors. You probably also want redundant connections between parts of your ship too, because if you get damaged and lose the one bit that connects parts of your ship, half of the thing goes flying off never to be seen again. I've seen a round where one ship loses everything but a single crew quarters sailing to the end, but managing to beat another ship that stayed intact but lost all its crew and never made it home.

Every ship ends up looking as a sort of monstrosity of parts all jumbled together haphazardly. These are actually really good designs by the game's normal standards.

There's also an app version that will show your ship zooming around.

Galaxy Trucker is great and the whole game is designed to make it feel like you really are hurling through space, with all its hostility, in a piece of poo poo made of space parts.

It's a very good game.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bucnasti posted:

Speaking of pieces of poo poo made from spare parts. I've been 3d printing "Uglies" for the X-Wing miniatures game.

I've never understood why so many people like these things. But hey, if it gets people playing X-Wing, that's awesome. I love that game, and played it at a high level pre-pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Robot Style posted:

It's a shame Star Wars has essentially replaced the Lego space line for the last 10 years, because some of the stuff they were doing before they canned it looks like a fun change of pace from slightly updated X-wings and TIEs every year.

This one was my kid's favorite lego set for like ten years. Even today, wrapping up his senior year in high school, he keeps it on his desk to fidget with. It's an excellent set.