Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have a question for the more modern queer folks:

When I was in college (‘06-‘11), a lesbian and a bi woman dating would be considered a “lesbian” relationship because that was the dynamic of the couple, which is why I referred to them as Lesbians even though I myself am bi and think of bi-erasure as a bit of a bugbear. Would that be dated labeling in 2020?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirvot
Oct 21, 2012
I'm a gay male from roughly the same age as you but I would say that labeling the relationship as a lesbian relationship would be fine but saying that both women are lesbians are not.

I might be wrong and are willing to be educated on it though.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I think the last story driven games I played that had meaningful gay rep were life is strange, gone home, left behind... and yeah all of these were lesbian relationships. Haven’t played DA:I though. More importantly these games are old af and it makes me sad I can’t think of anything more recent.

Life Is Strange: 2015
Gone Home: 2013
Left Behind: DLC add on to TLOU, 2014

Those games are, indeed, old as f. I'm not sure you could say any of them are anywhere as AAA as TLOU2, honestly, in terms of people playing or having even heard of them.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Does anybody feel that Last Of Us Part 2 is slightly marred by how joined it is to the first game? My wife was watching along with me without having seen the first one and it seemed that none of the story beats really worked for her. The intro to set up Joel and Ellie's relationship seemed very light compared to the intro of Last of Us one for example and leaned heavily on what people remembered from the first game.

I think this reliance on people's feelings from the past also colors people's reactions to this game. In no way do I feel that this story works as a standalone thing because so much of it is colored by your feelings towards Joel.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

WarpedLichen posted:

Does anybody feel that Last Of Us Part 2 is slightly marred by how joined it is to the first game? My wife was watching along with me without having seen the first one and it seemed that none of the story beats really worked for her. The intro to set up Joel and Ellie's relationship seemed very light compared to the intro of Last of Us one for example and leaned heavily on what people remembered from the first game.

I think this reliance on people's feelings from the past also colors people's reactions to this game. In no way do I feel that this story works as a standalone thing because so much of it is colored by your feelings towards Joel.

Some game plots just won't work as standalone stories. I don't think that's necessarily a flaw, not every story needs to stand alone. Some I think have strength only when taken together with other works.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

WarpedLichen posted:

I personally could have stood for more groundwork to be done at the beginning of the game in terms of establishing characters and relationships and so on (and for Ellie to have slightly less filler) but honestly I doubt there are many people who are interested in this game but who aren't fundamentally aware of the goings on in TLOU and the nature of Joel and Ellie's relationship. It'd feel redundant for the vast majority of people, like repeatedly telling the Spider-Man origin story or something.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I think considering the amount of discussion of the last games ending, having this game be a further exploration of that was an interesting idea

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Is it supposed to be implied that the Rattlers used to be the Santa Barbara police? They use submachine guns, have bulletproof vests and riot helmets, the first one you see looks like Duane Chapman, they kidnap people to use as slave labour and are vicious thugs with no motive but pure sadism...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Flesnolk posted:

Is it supposed to be implied that the Rattlers used to be the Santa Barbara police? They use submachine guns, have bulletproof vests and riot helmets, the first one you see looks like Duane Chapman, they kidnap people to use as slave labour and are vicious thugs with no motive but pure sadism...

A lot of them are also wearing police vest if you examine their dead bodies.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, about five minutes after I typed that I saw the jailer with "POLICE" written across her vest lol

The "these guys are cops" imagery is 100% there, no question. I'm wondering more about how much of that is intentional I suppose.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 18, 2020

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I mean... they probably didn't make a 3d rendered art asset then include in the game by falling onto their keyboards

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Other than RTS games, fighting games and the Alien vs Predator games (which tend to be separate 'campaigns' anyway), are there any video games where you play as characters whose interests directly conflict within the same continuous storyline?

Weirdly, the only example I can think of is the Peter Jackson King Kong game

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Other than RTS games, fighting games and the Alien vs Predator games (which tend to be separate 'campaigns' anyway), are there any video games where you play as characters whose interests directly conflict within the same continuous storyline?

All of David Cage's games ? :v:

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Haha. That is most true of one in particular and to be fair I don't think you control that character again after the twist is revealed, so the player doesn't know their interests are misaligned during play

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nier: Automata is the first thing that springs to mind

e: Automata spoiler: It also fits the "Are there any other games where you play as someone who killed your previous protagonist" question someone asked a while back but I couldn't find a way to bring it up without spoiling the game

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 20, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

halo 2?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The opening 4 hours of Assassin’s Creed 3 set you up as this handsome dashing James Bond assassin and then rug pulls you after you find the that this cool dude is a bad guy and you have to play as his oafish idiot son for the rest of the game.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I mean... they probably didn't make a 3d rendered art asset then include in the game by falling onto their keyboards

Sure, it's more a question of whether it's:
  • These guys have obviously acquired a cache of riot gear at some point, which explains why they're as well equipped as the actual army that you've been stabbing and snapping your way through for most of the game.
    or
  • These guys are allegorical cops. We intend for you to speculate on how different these people are from actual cops. Is this how people with a "cop" mentality and cop resources might behave in this situation? We invite you to bend your powerful mind to these issues, gamer.
or somewhere in between. Personally I err towards the first, but there's no doubt that this game has come out at a time at which some of the themes seem particularly pertinent.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

paper mario: the thousand-year door

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I doubt they are cops because it’s been over 30 years since Cops have existed and some of those rattlers look to be Ellie’s age.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

Bust Rodd posted:

I doubt they are cops because it’s been over 30 years since Cops have existed and some of those rattlers look to be Ellie’s age.

oh right, that is a VERY good point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is the most apt thread to ask this in considering the first 100 pages of it.

Did anyone else have misconceptions on how the story was going to go? I first saw the trailers and thought that Ellie was Abby getting strangled in the first one and I was like "Yoooooooooo, she's looking like Nadine Ross over here!'

Then I saw the one that cut between her and Dina dancing and her knifing Seraphites and I was like 'Oh poo poo, Jackson got blown up'

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My read of the early trailers was “Dina smooches Ellie, Dina is captured and murdered by hunters, Joel tries to talk Ellie out of revenge” and I’m much happier with what we got, and I Love Joel.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I thought it would be even darker and was pleasantly surprised

That said I LOVE that whole descent into hell sequence where you first meet Lev and Yara and almost wish that was longer

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.
I kinda thought that it was going to be a converging stories thing and that you'd play as characters in different factions - just on the basis that much was made of the factional game setting and the Abby & Seraphites cutscene indicated that she was a significant character. I also got the impression from the E3 gameplay that it was going to be a thing of "Ellie goes for revenge, bites off more than she can chew, and ends up isolated and hunted", or, at least "Ellie is hunted while seeking revenge", and I...haven't really thought about it until now, but I guess I'm a bit disappointed that there was never that "desperately trying to survive" experience in the game outside a few very specific scenarios, mostly involving infected.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I thought it would be even darker and was pleasantly surprised

The one thing that I'm super-relieved about is that they didn't introduce the romance between Ellie and Dina only to have Dina killed. That would have sucked on a multitude of levels.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The first trailer had joel edited into scenes that jesse is in later so there were deliberate misconceptions about the plot - it def looked pike dina was gonna bite it early (i was expecting Dina to die until i got back to the title screen at the end of the game)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I had seen leak memes just blatantly posted in a discord channel so I thought Abby would kill Ellie and Dina at some point.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

RareAcumen posted:

I had seen leak memes just blatantly posted in a discord channel so I thought Abby would kill Ellie and Dina at some point.

Where the leaks different in any way to the actual game?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

The cutscenes themselves were all in the game (although presented in a misleading order and it also wasn't literally every cutscene in the game as some said - only a fraction).

However a 4chan post summarising the scenes also went viral and was very much incorrect saying Ellie dies most notably

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh yeah. I can't find the one I saw but as quick examples, have these.

Also just generally the dumb ones that have the Abby and Owen sex scene as a focus are worse.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Wow this game has a 50%+ completion rate. I wonder if that has ever happened before of a game of this length.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s absolutely insane to me that it took until this game for the largest critique aggregator to institute a policy of “you can only talk poo poo about something if you’ve actually played it”

Just insanely embarrassing. It would be like going into work one day and your job announcing that they will finally be adding a fire escape.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

The whole score aggregation thing is kind of not really fit for purpose

A game like this, while more divisive is probably going to have more people consider it among their GOAT than many other games

Like there's so many games which will get 7s or 8s out of 10 from almost everyone but nobody would call it a masterpiece

Even if only 40% of players like this game (for arguments sake, I think it's actually a lot more) the value it's brought to those who love it is more than other games which are universally liked, but not loved

I hope Naughty Dog doesn't back down from making bold swings at all from this. They're in a position where it's their brand now.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I take a slightly different tack, it would do well for ND to dial back the ambition a little in their next game, give the audience a crowd pleaser. While that's going on, have a look at why so many in the audience bounced off TLOU2 (a pity the discourse around the game is so loving stupid, some better critical feedback would be helpful). Maybe some Uncharted, that's always fun.

Obviously you don't want to overcorrect it like Disney did with Last Jedi > Rise of Skywalker, but at the very least ND should have the pride and confidence that they have something going for them and don't have to swing wildly between two poles.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The whole score aggregation thing is kind of not really fit for purpose

A game like this, while more divisive is probably going to have more people consider it among their GOAT than many other games

Like there's so many games which will get 7s or 8s out of 10 from almost everyone but nobody would call it a masterpiece

Even if only 40% of players like this game (for arguments sake, I think it's actually a lot more) the value it's brought to those who love it is more than other games which are universally liked, but not loved

I hope Naughty Dog doesn't back down from making bold swings at all from this. They're in a position where it's their brand now.

Your argument is that....aggregation is bad because you can't convey that the game is a 12/10 for you?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno if I want ND to keep pushing the envelope that badly, or we’re gonna end up with more guys like “I was sure this game was gonna be about rape!”

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Mulva posted:

Your argument is that....aggregation is bad because you can't convey that the game is a 12/10 for you?

I'm more interested in experiencing media that resonates with people very strongly and a strong number on score aggregation has almost no relationship with this

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, score aggregators aren't useful tools for any deeper engament with a game; find a few journalists you like, follow them enough to see what they like and why, and how that matches or doesn't match your own preferences, and then listen to what they have to say about a particular game. You're trying to find out if you'll like an art, not if it's going to rain.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s absolutely insane to me that it took until this game for the largest critique aggregator to institute a policy of “you can only talk poo poo about something if you’ve actually played it”

Just insanely embarrassing. It would be like going into work one day and your job announcing that they will finally be adding a fire escape.

Yeah. I'm not sure it's going to make a difference - the rule they've instituted is that you have to wait 36 hours post-release before you score a game. So while there's the potential that, I guess, people will get bored waiting, the fervour required to metabomb a game in the first place can probably stand a day and a half. Pleasure deferred and all that.

What they probably need (and may be pursuing, who knows) is to have some analytics for customer reviews. You can filter out a lot of the angry boy noise with an algorithm and summarise major beefs that people have by looking for commonalities in the text. It wouldn't be perfect, but it'd be more informative. There are conceivably times when metabombing is perfectly legitimate, after all - a game world that just falls apart after x number of hours of play is the sort of thing that critics might not pick up on but that gamers would.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Right, score aggregators aren't useful tools for any deeper engament with a game; find a few journalists you like, follow them enough to see what they like and why, and how that matches or doesn't match your own preferences, and then listen to what they have to say about a particular game. You're trying to find out if you'll like an art, not if it's going to rain.

Steam's system's quite good and informative in a way that game journalists aren't, but it clearly has distinct advantages over, say, metacritic.

Perfectly Safe fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Yeah I'm finding the main way I get a sense of games I'd be interested now is watching YouTube Video Essayists I like

That said the Steam user review system is still miles ahead of metacritic, I love the tags system, the fact that the text of the reviews is front and centre rather than just a raw aggregate number, and that you can see how many hours of the games the person played