Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I applaud the devs of a several hundred million dollar game for making a game whose narrative leaves players complicit in horrorific acts of personal cruelty without much, if anything, in the way of moral easement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want to congratulate Naughty Dog for being another company in a long list of media companies who cant get enough of Lesbians being murdered

Im curious how fast the leakers career is completely destroyed

Barudak fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 27, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Most careers in programming are far more high-paying and less stressful than games if you have any talent at all, the people who bother to stay in the industry are already there out of passion.

Yeah but secret leaking is a thing that, I would assume, would be a black mark across all programming fields.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SirKibbles posted:

I loving knew this was going to happen the moment they started really pushing Ellie's new relationship,which is why I was tepid about it

The second they showed happy lesbians I was like, oh, the only way this game can surprise me is if they both live and weeeeell

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SirKibbles posted:

My comrade in suffering ,I see your bullshit detector is strong

There's interesting ways to go about that but mega crunch does produce the type of writing necessary to do so

The current argument is some people are saying its a fakeout of sorts and Ellie and her girlfriend both live but what I've seen of that cutscene is kind of stupid grisly so that may just be hopeful people

The above said lmao that a game thats trying to be about cycles of violence appears to have a pretty clear cut "the solution to cycles of violence is to kill everyone, absolutely goddamn everyone"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Happy lesbian couples in mainstream media exist to die. Hell having a game where, present tense, both members of the lesbian couple are alive is actually somewhat cutting edge because usually one is already dead at story outset

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cargohills posted:

I really don't get the seemingly unanimous negative reactions to this. The story leaks seem absolutely fine.

Its a big budget title where you are the bad guy and gruesomely, personally, kill and undo the lives of the people you played as last time. Its close to the videogame equivalent of Funny Games in terms of how audiences will react to that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cargohills posted:

You tellin’ me that the sequel to the game that ends with you massacring an organisation which seems to be the only hope to stop the apocalypse.... has you play as a bad guy??

Like I said, it has a funny games vibe to why an audience wouldnt like it. We'll see how it delivers narratively. Ok, I wont, but the rest of you might.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bad Game Where You Kill Previously Playable Character and it Feels Gross - FEAR 3, where a rape victim gets blown up by his rapist's son

Bad Game Where You Kill A Playable Character but its a really cool use of videogames as an interactive medium as well as thematically tying into the game in a way that exploits gamers against themselves - Saw 2 the game, the tutorial

Great Game Where You Kill a Previously Playable Character and its used in a fun, medium specific way - Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 23, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Really Bad Game Where You Kill Playable Character - Assassins Creed 3

Really Bad Sequel Where You Can Kill the Protagonist from the First One - Deus Ex 2

Game Where Your Character Murdering the Previous Character is a Plot Point but the Current Port of the Game is So Bad Youll Never Find Out: Mafia 2

Game Where Killing the Previous Protagonist After They Kill Death Itself is Somehow Possible - Drakengard 2

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 23, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dogstile posted:

Jesus christ i'd forgotten about that.

F.3.A.R. is a gross game and if you want to talk about disgusting narrative its right there, including an ending where you tear a baby out of your mother and then eat your mom.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I've heard some really good things about the co-op mode of the third game and I've had the entire trilogy languishing in my Steam account for years because, well, it was 50 cents at the time... but hearing about this kind of thing is really turning me off from ever trying to play it.

Oh did I mention the part where a recurring foe is the psychic manifestation of trauma caused by a man who put his daughter in a coma at age seven, had her impregnated as a child in the coma, and then cut off her life support and you get flashbacks to all this?

I guess I should mention the "good ending" is you not using a handgun to give your mom an abortion and instead help her give birth, which frankly I think Naughty Dog are goddamn cowards to not have a birthing minigame.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 23, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GTAV has you gun down a previously playable character rather unceremoniously in a way that pissed off some fans and left others confused going "who did I shoot"?

Dragon Age 2 let you murder a surprising amount of your playable companions, which is good because they deserve to die

Hotline Miami plays with the nature of reality by having fights to the death between both protagonists

Final Fantasy VII has you kill a playable character but Im really stretching on this one and we all know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Jim Sterling's video about it had a bunch of quotes from people praising Heavy Rain when it came out and I honestly think recency bias might be the most powerful force in the universe.

GTAIV as Jim mentioned is the one that sticks with me. You could not say anything bad about that game for a while after it came out and what really got me was people deriding Saints Row 2 as a bad, immature knockoff title when now, looking back, thats basically completely flipped.