Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
after weighing the multiple pieces of evidence against one another i have come to a fair and balanced conclusion: this sequel to a hit PS3 game the last of us is a let down and a failed attempt to re-catch lightning in a bottle, AND everyone who has been madposting in this thread should be chemically castrated. thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
maybe they're trying to do what nier automata did in route C with a disjointed narrative of 2 protagonists antagonizing one another

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Harrow posted:

Really the idea of playing as two people who are each others' antagonists is pretty rad, it's just that, well, it's a pretty loving tough sell when you introduce one of them by having her brutally kill the main character from the first game whom you've presumably come to care about by now if you're playing the sequel in the first place.

A scenario like that really can work! It's just not easy, it doesn't seem that ND succeeds in telling that story, and psychotic gamer goons have zero interest in the attempt to honestly engage with the story

Ergo:

Open Source Idiom posted:

if the fan reaction to DMC is any indication, it's going to be a long time before the gaming community at large will be able to have useful conversations about the game

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't think this was intentional, the intent was to make something with broad appeal to both being woke (queer female protagonist) and edgy (ridiculous levels of cruelty and violence). Except the chuds are mad at the attempt at wokeness and reading the story through the most ridiculously decontextualized lens possible, and the wokes aren't happy that the story is completely 2edgy4u.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
NYTimes and Wapo and Guardian have been trying to get into games reviews, it's not their core competency and I wouldn't put any weight into their opinions.

Skillup, Kotaku, Polygon and Vice have been downright negative/mixed about this game, either the game really isn't that good, or Naughty Dog hasn't been bribing them enough.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Utnayan posted:

Yep from everything I have heard Amy Hennig is one of the best, great to work with, and very very talented. Neil Druckmann didn't like her having more talent, and so he decided to get rid of her. Neil Druckmann is not only a cancer to the game industry, but he is also a hypocrite in everything he says he supports - because for someone who keeps shouting to the masses about women's rights in the work place, he didn't give two iotas about that when Amy Hennig had more power via talent than he did. And that got in the way of his agenda. Any other covers for him were because the industry can black list you with the drop of a hat and they all needed their jobs so they covered for Druckmann.

After this mess though, I doubt anyone cares about working there any longer. And quite honestly they can get better paying jobs with less stress elsewhere anyway.

At least Neil got his Hollywood shot though, and took an advanced bonus on TLOU2 after the delay and then told his employees nope! No soup for you.

Grouchio posted:

Why won't Druckmann get any retribution for this? Will he simply be able to get away with this because Metacritic gave him a 94??

can goons please start sourcing their quotes tia

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

the_enduser posted:

It's a bummer this game can't get real criticism because of how politically charged it is. Like I said earlier, most people that dislike it are getting branded as alt-right bigots because you have to like anything progressive because it's progress you see! Look at how they put two women into a relationship! No one has done that before!

A lot of people calling the dude Cuckman too doesn't help, it just makes it sound petty and you lose all credibility to criticize it, and then everyones just like, see it's just the bigots that hate this game, fueling the polarization of it.

Thankfully Ghost of Tsushima is out next month and I bet all this will die down by then.

no actually its kind of easy to tell if a criticism of this game is well thought out or comes from an alt-right imbecile you just... read the words

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Previa_fun posted:

stux you are absolutely an insane person. Please get help and find a new hobby.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

our boy stux wins yet again!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Oxxidation posted:

you're clapping at keys being jangled in front of your face

ive surgically embedded an electrode into my brain that is activated whenever i see a good post

unfortunately it did not fire. sorry

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
honestly JBP is a deece bellwether for a dumbass normie who turned up mildly committed to a sort of ironic distance around the discourse, pays $90 using the money he earned from a hard day at the office, and ends up having a blast

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
basically gamergate chuds and games-are-art journalists and scoffy goon critics are having a circular argument over this game (only the latter two have any merit to their arguments) meanwhile normies are going ha ha brick go crffftt

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I dont know if its a blessing or a curse that the I/P conflict angle has completely passed over the average Gamer's head, whose brains are still sidelined in culture war bullshit from 2014. Because if there's something even more insanely toxic than non-pretty girls in video games...

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

In many Australian Aboriginal communities justice has traditionally been executed through a method called "payback" where leaders or elders from the involved groups will agree on a punishment to be exacted upon the perpetrator in order to give the community a sense of closure and prevent unmitigated retaliation. It can often involve violence upon the perpetrator. The practice continues to this day but although there is debate about whether it should be allowed to continue and its clearly at odds with state law.

If you want a good example of constant back-and-forth vengeance without any kind of mediatory oversight, look no further than the history of colonialism, where colonists would respond to a perceived crime by the colonized by massive retaliatory violence. See the history of Australian and American settlement.

I've not heard Druckmann's podcasts, but if he simply frames these kinds of conflicts as a simple back-and-forth between "equals", rather than an outcome of colonization, it demonstrates a massive blind spot within his psyche as an Israeli-American.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I can’t even get mad at Baker getting mad at criticism, even if he was misguided, because of how god drat stupid so much of the discourse had become.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I take a slightly different tack, it would do well for ND to dial back the ambition a little in their next game, give the audience a crowd pleaser. While that's going on, have a look at why so many in the audience bounced off TLOU2 (a pity the discourse around the game is so loving stupid, some better critical feedback would be helpful). Maybe some Uncharted, that's always fun.

Obviously you don't want to overcorrect it like Disney did with Last Jedi > Rise of Skywalker, but at the very least ND should have the pride and confidence that they have something going for them and don't have to swing wildly between two poles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Neal! posted:

Not at all what I'm saying, I really don't think Druckmann's intention was to make it anti-Palestinian, I think he really wanted to do a there's 'bad on both sides' take and I just don't think he's put enough thought or work in to avoid this allegory from being problematic as hell.

You've got the WLF, who have the clear IDF parallels. We do see them as facists, they torture people and they're militaristic but we also get to know a lot of them from Abby's friends, Diego's father, video game girl and we do see their perspective on the conflict quite a bit. We see them looking after people, running schools, we get a lot of time with them.

Then you get the Scars and oh boy, backwards religious fundamentalists who mutilate their enemies, take child brides and the only Scars that aren't trying to murder you in the game are two teenagers actively trying to escape their lifestyle (people that have rejected them really). We're led to the conclusion that a key issue in the conflict is that the Scars refuse to just stay on their own self sufficient island (land) which is just... yikes, if we're working with the Israel and Palestine allegory here.

I don't think Druckmann intended it to be anti-Palestinian at all, I just think that if you go in to tell a Israel/Palestine conflict, as Druckmann himself states he was doing, and then it ends up looking like this, its got problems.

I think the issue is that the WLF/Seraphites conflict doesn't so much resemble the actual Israeli/Palestinian conflict as is (people being colonized out of their homes by a ethnonationalists), in so much it resembles the mythology of the I/P conflict as told within liberal Israeli culture: two equally capable and morally ambiguous sides carrying out an eternal war with no clear beginning, one side secular, the other side religious.