Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

This seems like a story that would work perfectly fine in a movie or a book but completely misses that the unique part of games as a storytelling medium is the player interactivity and ability for them to put themselves in the protagonist's shoes. I can't see any way the game goes "alright now kill ellie" and the first reaction of most players won't be "uhhh no?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Zeta Acosta posted:

also making the player kill a beloved character has already been done ex: big boss killing his mentor.

holy gently caress mgs3 was a great game, one of my favorites

The difference there I'd say is that there was a very clear reason that The Boss had to die and why Snake had to do it, and from the sounds of the leaks Abby kills Ellie out of revenge and the message of the game is "cycles of violence are bad"

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Dogs Gone.