Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm kinda sad that there's no part in the game where you break into a place and it looks abandoned but people are still living there but just doing a kinda poor job at it. Not like the WLF defectors but just someone who's actually there and non-hostile and they come in like 'What the gently caress?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pulcinella posted:

The way it’s animated, Owen practically falls onto Ellie’s gun.

Just like Owen's recapping of how he accidentally killed Danny. The parallels in this game, man.

Anyway, these threads are good so I curse it with tons of bad takes to remind everyone that it could be much worse in here than it is

Mostly the comment section than the video itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnmnpWWTrnY

Dewgy posted:

Ellie didn’t really give two shits about violence in the first game though. She asked for a gun multiple times before actually having one, blew a dude’s head open more or less without hesitation, and offed like dozens of people before the game was over. She also pulped David’s head with a machete, Sling Blade style. And that doesn’t include Left Behind!

It affected her, for sure, but I feel like anyone who went into the sequel thinking of Ellie as some kind of untarnished cherub is...for lack of a better word, really stupid.

Yeah, the initial ones at the start kinda freaked her out; the soldiers that ambush her Joel and Tess, the guy that nearly drowned Joel and pushed him to give her a rifle soon afterwards, and then she wasn't really fazed by anything aside from a "Jesus, Joel" after you kill someone until David because that's the most brutal she's had to be to kill someone and also everything to do with that situation was extremely uncomfortable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Am I the only one who gets that Joel was zombie apocalypse Punisher and not like end of the world hero like The Book of Eli or something?

Like, dotted throughout TLoU1 is him admitting that he was pulling the same stunts as a lot of the hunters you're fighting, I.E. Pittsburgh, all the people in the Boston QZ that know who him and Tess are all do not want to be on their bad side.

And this is like, very soon after Sarah died and he adopted this methodology. So this has been him for like what, 10+ years of being a scumbag monster of a human being to keep him and Tommy alive? Because he split and joined the Fireflies after watching that for long enough but I don't have an exact timeline for all the events.

But we didn't play him being the villain for 17 hours sadly, so all of that got swept under the rug and no one thinks he's commited an atrocity in his life, everything he's done has been justified from beginning to end. From breaking Robert's arm to carving a second mouth out of the doctor's mouth at the end of the game.

Abby's been in the WLF for what, 4 years and that's somehow too obscene to come back from?

Hopefully someone can take this and make a decent pots out of it, I don't really think critically about games that often or play a lot of things with a lot of non-forced moral ambiguity beyond the lazy hot takes of 'that man had a family' that people like to throw out about everything so I don't know how to word poo poo well.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 1, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fallen Hamprince posted:

I’ve never really understood the “Drake murders so many people” thing because all of the henchmen he kills in those games are pirates or mercenary war criminals and are also invariably trying to kill him. They’ve signed up for a “murder people for money” job and don’t really get to complain when the swashbuckling treasure hunter shoots back.

I neve rknow what to do in those situations because if I kill the people trying to kill the character I am in control it's all 'ohhhh nooooo. you can't do thaaaat. they had a familyyyyy, their kid's gonna grow up without a dad now because of you you're a baaaaad man'

But if I die no one cares and I just get pushed back to the last checkpoint forever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stormgale posted:

Yes, in my personal opinion. There are enough creepy and shocking things that can drive him from the seraphites, and especially the aftermath of him going home seems like jabbing that knife in to twist.

Again, I want to stress part of this is the wider media landscape this is adding to. If it was common for trans characters to be the doom guy, or funny, or silly, i'd be way more comfortable with Lev as is. It's just in this landscape he's another of the same note.

So, here's how I'm reading it, tell me how bad a take this is.

Basically, being a trans character in a story shouldn't completely dominate every aspect of their interactions with people like being pregnant should right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

It's kind of that, but with a wider context. It's that being trans in pop culture comes in one of two flavours: misery lightning rod or bigoted parody. It's never just a trait that's there, but never just as a trait that's there. If a person is trans, they're either suffering for it or being mocked for it.

Yeah, that part's been hammered home very well by now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stormgale posted:

Actually i'll pick up on one more thing. If the enemies at all behaved like humans instead of killbots that occasionally went "HOLY poo poo MY FRIEND IS DEAD", getting scared and actually trying to escape, being afraid I'd give this game a lot more credit. You can handwave away Ellie being only able to press X to death by her need for revenge (I Think the game needed more distinctions for that to tack but not my point), but how the enemies act just really numbs the situation for me.

Yeah I think that would've been nice. More reactive terrified AI is always fun. Dealing with aimbots isn't really the best.

Honestly I think it took me till Santa Barbara as Ellie to finally realize what was going on. I took every event on its face, honestly. When Abby showed up at the theater and shot Jesse my reaction was 'Holy poo poo- Wait, where the gently caress have you been this entire time?!' because I got a weird reading on the situation and thought that everyone had a falling out after Salt Lake and Abby had gone rogue and that's why no one knew where she was. Made me really confused why Nora wouldn't give up the info on where she went.

Anyway, I think it took me till Santa Barbara to start thinking "Wait, is this just because Ellie has no idea how to process grief because there are no therapists left- Ohhhhhh No"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

I just realised that the rage and controversy about Abby being in this game and Joel dying is just like Metal Gear Solid 2 and Raiden. Imagine the internet's reaction to having to play as skinny little Raiden instead of Cool Badass Solid Snake with no warning. Honestly I loved the weird plot to MGS2 and I was only like, 12 when that game came out.

MGS2 was the only one I can think of doing that. The next closest to that was Assassin's Creed 3 and that one started off with you playing the villain and only discovering that as the prologue ended.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HampHamp posted:

Am I seriously discussing how engaging a game was to someone who hasn't actually played it

What is going on with this game

Man I don't even know. At a lot of points throughout the unveiling of the game people's brains just broke and it kept happening as it kept going on. I had my own conclusions of things so that kept me from going crazy immediately as things started. I can't remember the full timeline anymore, either the first trailer came out and then they said the game was about hate or it was the reverse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMW_sycSs30

Hearing that with that footage to back it up I assumed that Jackson either got blown up or someone lead a raid on it and now that Ellie's not powerless she's going after them for killing her friends. Which, yeah, that's fair. A game about revenge motivated by hate, that makes perfect sense to me. For some reason this translated to 'They're making the Normandy Beach scene of Saving Private Ryan into a movie, there's going to be no joy, it'll just be endless suffering with no break' to other people though.

And then we got a bad review saying game good and comparing it to a prestigious movie or something- I dunno, I haven't read the book- and the horn was blown to summon all the usual internet super geniuses to point out that there're better stories as if this game getting a 10/10 will lead to it replacing all these good books that're only good for beating down video games for daring to exist as anything more complicated than running from left to right and fighting a boss that jumps and shoots horizontal projectiles. It's been nine years since Dark Souls came out and we're still cursed with people who can only mad libs 'Dark Souls' out for something else.

And now we're at the point where the ((female) voice) actors are paying for the crimes that I would've thought the writers and directors would be responsible for just like with Ghostbusters and Captain Marvel, and The Last Jedi and you get the idea.

Grem posted:

You know who I really didn't like? Owen. That dude was a piece of poo poo and I'm glad he got stabbed.

Owen was kinda flat a lot of the game outside of flashbacks for me, but good on him for getting disillusioned with the pointless war and infecting Abby with his sentimentality. Nothing'll turn you on your former friends than getting a gun pointed at you and aggressive insistence that you need to blow the child's brain all over the street.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 5, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There's a huge difference between watching games being played and actually playing them yourself I.E. my bloody palms after spinning the stick playing Mario Party 3.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Ellie is a dumb kid in TLoU1 and there is no way you can sit a little girl down, no matter how mature they appear to be, and say “we have to kill you in order to save the planet.”

That’s a completely loving insane thing for a wizened adult to try and wrap their minds around, try to imagine being a traumatized teenage girl? How is that a fair question? How is putting that on Ellie any less disrespectful than what Joel did? Giving Ellie the illusion of agency isn’t any better, Ellie is never given a fair circumstance and never really has agency at any point, regardless of whether or not she was conscious and available to consent. She clearly has intense PTSD and Survivor’s guilt, putting that question on her would have broken her mind.

See, if this had been a JRPG, Ellie would've torn her head off herself and handed it to them if they'd asked her there.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So I did my best to not start a ton of fights with the WLF and the medical center was still packed full when I swapped to Abby. Does it change if you go completely non-violent? Because I definitely did lure zombies to them whenever I could.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mA posted:

Just like everything else in this game, nothing you do changes the story at all.

Oh okay. I saw someone say something about them being fairly sure the morgue was less packed when they tried going less lethal and I wasn't sure if they were right or not. Well now I know!

One day I'm gonna go back in a third time and crank up the aggression and item drop and just go to town. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Personally I was surprised it took them 4 or 5 games to actually bring someone in who could beat him in an honest fist fight without resorting to attempting to punch them being an instant kill. Because Drake never really struck me as the Uncharted world's greatest hand-to-hand combatant.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stormgale posted:

Listen, if TLOU teaches us anything, it's that you get to survive the current game based upon how much of an unrepentant bastard you are, Tommy just face heel turned to not die. If you are noble or flawed you get killed/sacrifice yourself.

Huh, good point. I was gonna say that this is not a universe that you wanna be gay in but yeah, Tommy's the only straight person to survive.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

Abby? And we don't know Lev's sexuality.

:doh: Oh duh, I don't get how the gently caress I just completely forgot about Abby. Since Lev's never came up and he's like what, 14? I didn't really feel like it needed mentioning.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Everyone's so hung up on the first two hours of the game that no one cares about the ending anymore!

Who the hell was that mysterious inmate who'd mastered the forbidden technique of [D E E S C A L A T I O N]? This is the first time since Sam & Henry that a gun has been drawn on someone without requiring their blood be shed by the end of the day.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

For all the hullaballoo about Abby's muscles they really didn't factor into things that much. Yeah, she can throw some killer haymakers but I was expecting her to be doing some Hancock poo poo, tearing off a fridge or car door as a shield or crushing people with couches, it's the same co-op actions you've got to do in every game to open a door! I was hoping that her Anchor Arms would mean she'd be Atlasing some of this poo poo on her own.

Also how the hell did she lose every gun she owned before fighting that Haven Brute? You're telling me the pistols in her holsters just sprung out of there too?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I also like how they updated the sideckicks AI to actively take down targets when in stealth. Feels pretty badass.

Anyway, that earlier discussion got me thinking about what if Abby had to ride with J+T back to Jackson. She would have to pretend and stay there for a bit, try and make contact with her group outside, getting to know Joel and maybe Ellie before carrying out her vengeance and clear off. That could have made for some incredible tension if done right. :aaa:

Ooh, Lion King 2 but they actually murder him does sound really cool when you put it that way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Maybe I need to readdress my personal biases but “Abby successfully sneaks into Joel’s house, kills him while he sleeps, and escapes Jackson before anyone realizes what happened” seems infinitely more far fetched than what we got.

Oh no that's not what people are suggesting.

They're saying that the scenario of Abby asking to be let into Jackson, playing the role of a displaced survivor and inserting herself into the community for months on end and then in a final spectacular Order 66 maneuver, killing Joel while out on patrol with him before escaping back to the WLF, Joel's head hurled off a cliff in triumph is way more ripe for drama and tension than what we've actually got now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

I really don't know if it's in Abby's character as written for her to secretly infiltrate a society over the course of many weeks while secretly planning to betray them. Everything about her seems to be hit 'em fast, hit 'em hard and get the gently caress out. She's emotional and impulsive rather than a schemer.

You could write a character like that to take out Joel, but that'd be a very different character than we got.

Yeah, people aren't saying that Abby should've done that instead and it was definitely something she would, just that it would've been an even more hype story if it had gone like the first two episodes of Phantom Blood or The Count of Monte Cristo. Like think about it, Abby shows up, she's got no one, she's not the life of the party to be fair, keeps to her self does her job, wipes out infected like no one's ever seen besides Joel, Tommy and Ellie, always willing to lend a hand with things, hell, maybe she tells people she used to be a Firefly once it becomes known that she's not the only one and they aren't going to kick them out if they find out. Months go by and then

BAM

Joel's disappeared, Abby's gone and they don't find the former until days later harpooned on a tree with another tree.

I don't get why everyone's getting so hung up on Abby beating Joel to death though, it seems a lot more in line with what I'd expect from her. If they'd dragged him outside capped him in the head and buried him in the snow to make finding his body harder that would surprise me more because man she was really planning this poo poo out for a long time.

I guess people would've preferred this is all it really comes down to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihbPBIwnM0I

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

Just beat it, really enjoyed it, though I'm struggling to figure out a narrative purpose for the Rattlers other than "we need an enemy for the Santa Barbara chapter, specifically so Abby can be hosed up when you find her."

Gotta get to back into the swing of playing Ellie again and you can't have Abby and Lev ambushed by infected because if that happens then they just die. Infected don't kidnap, they just eat that delicious delicious jugular and leave the rest to rot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

Honestly, I think you could have cut down the number of encounters in the SB segment to maybe a warmup and then a big one on the scope of the last combat encounter of the hospital in 1, because by that point in the game I get the idea and there's no need to drag it out.

Honestly I wish it had been bigger. I let the infected loose and then they just tore the entire camp apart. If you're not traveling with Abby or Ellie you are absolute trash at fighting them as it turns out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

One day someone's gonna make a zombie game where you get to zoom out the camera into an RTS game and see how the community keeps functioning. This meat hall produces 240 lbs of edible meat a day and 355 lbs if they've got Stephan, Troy and Vicky on the same shift.

The purification center cleanses over 800 gallons of water a day and if we get blah blah blah we can increase that over 2 thousand easily. Stuff like that. Gimme a 600 page novel about how your fortresses keep functioning.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

untzthatshit posted:

I just beat the game so now I can read the spoiler thread and while I'm sure this has been discussed in here I think the thing that bugs me the most is the morally correct solution to all this stuff is simply that: the fireflies should have asked Ellie if she was cool with dying for a vaccine. Harvesting her brain while she is unconscious is *not cool* and Joel arguably was justifiable in response. From there on out the story is basically "an eye for an eye." I just feel like the game tries to emphasise this classic moral dilemna of sacrificing 1 to save a thousand but its not Joel that sets this all in motion its the fireflies robbing Ellie of her right to decide whether she wants to die for humanity. At the flashback at the end she even says this to Joel and blames him for taking away the choice from her, but he didnt, the fireflies did.

Well he never on screen explained that he was resuscitating her and then got knocked out and all that contrived nonsense that lead to that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If you guys want a quick source on what people who despise playing as characters you don't want to have a beer with think of the game here's one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ACgoIEv_M

Arist posted:

Abby's story was just generally more interesting

Yeah, she was just vibing after she'd got her revenge. No more pressing goals happening right now, back to her nightly nightmares of her dad dying over and over again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

just to be sure, because I'm not clicking it and I'm confused by that description, these are morons right?

A lot of people in the comments are still struggling over 'muscles...on woman...that are unpossible! woman to are look like Pprincess Peach!' so yeah you're on the right track.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sinten posted:

I needed a scene featuring Abby repping out some heavy squats while being spotted by Manny. Maybe Owen watches from a distance, pathetically horny. The absence of this makes this game, in fact, Bad and Problematic

The FF7Remake squat minigame but it's Abby with a Barbell

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

None of the deaths in this game feel heroic.

Aside from that Haven Brute. That guy was a champion.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

precision posted:

I would honestly just like to know what people want.

It's valid to say "it's lovely that trans representation is limited, and often involves misery". I agree with that.

But... so? Like, Brokeback Mountain is a movie that is, mostly, about how lovely it is to be bisexual in a society that prefers everything fall neatly on one side or the other. It came out at a time when queer rep was even worse than it is now.

And I don't recall a single person arguing against it for having a storyline about queers that struggle for their queerness.

It's pretty simple buddy.

They just want a story where they get to have the same triumphs and successes that gay and straight people get. Dina and Ellie are both queer and the most that gets diminished is one guy in Jackson being a prick and Joel thinking Ellie had a crush on Jesse. There's no anxiety inducing scene of her coming out to people and some of them pulling guns on her or demanding she be thrown out, we get one bigot and Joel whiffs a guess and that's all we've got.

The biggest win Lev gets is surviving. Abby and him fight off those Stalkers, Abby goes and gets medicine so Yara survives having her arm amputated and they manage to survive the Pillars and that's it. This next point is not specifically directed at you, precision, but just in general. It's kind of a 'speaking to an audience using 'you' situation.

You want a gayer game? Try a game made by a gay person about being gay, it'll probably hollow your eyes out with its sheer gay radiation.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 14, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

1) I think there's trashy genre fiction thats done it better

3) I think there's games as big that have done it better, though their markets are bigger.

I'm an idiot and also convinced that every post I make on here makes me sound like an as whole. Just gonna lead right with that.

That said, could you list some good games? Off the top of my head I can only think of Night in the Woods but I know there's got to be tons more that I'm blanking on right now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nobody could've known that Joel was the only thing keeping two Genocide runs from being started on the WLF.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

funfact, did you know: people vastly overstate the amount of lesbian porn straight men consume, based on actual statistics. wonder why people bring this talking point up so much!

seriously though bringing this point up whenever there's lesbian rep in games is loving disgusting. you can criticize it without resorting to this hoary stereotype. lesbian representation in fiction can exist and be criticized and praised on its own terms without constantly going 'but what if a hypothetical man is getting off to it?' framing things like this contributes to the hypersexualization of lesbianism you (apparently) think is bad and also makes it impossible for lesbians to discuss things that involve them without having to argue around imaginary men.

the way people constantly argue lesbianism is the 'least' of representation loving hurts.

I didn't quite understand what you were saying at first before you expanded on it past that part I formatted because I've only got 5 brain cells to work with on a good day, but yeah you've got a good point. LGBT representation all being framed in making chuds or whoever angry is mad garbage.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

Oh no! not much worse reception! There'd be even more angry posts on 4chan that dont meaningfully affect sales at all!!!

lmao get real. this is literally just you saying real gay rep requires two men and two women doesnt count. for instance, i extremely doubt you've made similar posts about JRPGs or Visual Novels (genres popular with straight women) that have gay male rep.

Ooh ooh, my turn to be called a loving moron!

I still think that a gay make romance is a harder sell to the executives greenlighting games to be made in the first place though. I don't think that the world can't handle a genuine male relationship now, but I can't shake the assumption that it'd be less likely to happen.

How dumb am I?

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 17, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Veks posted:

They literally gently caress at the beginning of the game...

I remember them making out when they find Eugene's weed and porn stash but I thought it'd cut away before showing anything really explicit compared to the just-below the edge of the screen stuff with Owen and Abby.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is the most apt thread to ask this in considering the first 100 pages of it.

Did anyone else have misconceptions on how the story was going to go? I first saw the trailers and thought that Ellie was Abby getting strangled in the first one and I was like "Yoooooooooo, she's looking like Nadine Ross over here!'

Then I saw the one that cut between her and Dina dancing and her knifing Seraphites and I was like 'Oh poo poo, Jackson got blown up'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I had seen leak memes just blatantly posted in a discord channel so I thought Abby would kill Ellie and Dina at some point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Where the leaks different in any way to the actual game?

Oh yeah. I can't find the one I saw but as quick examples, have these.

Also just generally the dumb ones that have the Abby and Owen sex scene as a focus are worse.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I haven't played every single one of their games so I'm probably really wrong but I think this is a pretty good departure for Naughty Dog's stories. Every Uncharted game on a console has had the villain side being a bunch of assholes ready to betray each other the second they can successful shiv the boss and dispose of the knife and here we are actually having a team that are opposed to the protagonist but aren't waiting to seize power the second they think their guard's down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

General Dog posted:

Gotta say, about a third of the way in I’m enjoying the gameplay quite a bit.

Remember to stay hydrated, use your legs and move around the environment and rotate your camera to deter people from flanking you!