Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Psycho Knight posted:

I wonder if other Otome games have done this. This is the only one I've played with such a wide age gap. A guy older than 30 seems like more of a josei game thing, since that genre aims for women in the 22-45 age demographic.

Oh yeah, it's actually a relatively common thing in otome games to have an age gap romance. There's the obvious fantasy ones where the MC could be dating someone centuries older than her, even though he/she looks to be around the same age. But it is common to have one or more relationship option be older and look older as well.

Some older romance options are Reiichi Himuro from Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side, who is 30 by the time the game ends when the MC is 18, John from Backstage Pass who is 35 to the protagonist's 18, and Kaoru Rindo, who is 'middle-aged' according to the game compared to the protag in her early 20s I believe. Older romance options can be popular for a few reasons. They usually are considered more mature than other romance options due to their age, they appeal more to older players who sometimes have problems with younger characters as they age, and for games focused on an educational environment, they play into the teacher-student fantasy that some people find appealing.

It's definitely popular, as Reiichi is considered to be one of the favorite LIs in Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side, and that lead to a romancable teacher in the next couple of games, though they did have different personalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Psycho Knight posted:

I know this has been done before, but for the life of me I cannot think of a game right now that does this. There are games that lock the golden route behind beating the game once, but you usually start from a checkpoint near the end after loading up a Clear Save. Which games require you to play through the whole thing a second time? …And don’t say anything by Yoko Taro! Yoko Taro’s stuff is the exception, not the rule.

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals. You play through the entire game once, then you get a cutscene which encourages you to play New Game Plus for a better ending, which takes you all the way back to the beginning to replay it all before you get that golden ending. Thankfully, there are a couple of scene differences during this playthrough, but it's still really annoying at times. Fun game though. Though I doubt I would do it again now that I'm not 15.

Also, I checked. Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals is not a Yoko Taro game.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

gegi posted:

It's very strange, because I want to be interested in this guy but it feels like they're giving us nothing to latch onto. Maybe they assume you'll be pursuing him more out of meta-interest from knowing he's involved in the plot?

It actually might be a point to not go after Urabe for your first route. After all, during your first playthrough, you're unlikely to expect him to be a traitor unless you went looking for spoilers. Going for his route first thing might change a lot of things for you in the long run, sort of how there's a huge divide between people who went for Edelgard's route first vs those who went for Dimitri's route first in Fire Emblem: Three Houses. So they made Urabe less interesting for players so they wouldn't go for him on their first playthrough. I mean, it's unlikely they thought this through that much, but it's a possibility.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Well, now I'm getting a mental image of Shidou chasing a criminal, the criminal throwing a ball, and Shidou stopping to chase after it like a dog. Hope the rest of security /the police don't have that problem.