Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I hemmed and I hawed. I looked at lever guns in 357 and thought, hey, those do look fun, and I'd like a rifle that's not a 22, so why not? And I looked at other rifles in 556 (no, not that one, but my wife looked at that one), and some other rifles that honestly did look like a lot of fun. Calibers were considered that would get me into the world of loading for rifles. And then I looked at my jar.

You all have a jar, don't you? Well, I normally didn't, but this year I did. This is my jar.

It actually did get just above $300, but I didn't mark it because what was the point? Gigs were cancelled. This was the fun thing I was going to buy with money from several of this year's gigs, including a sweet one on July 4th that was going to pay more than we were probably worth, and now it was gone, all gone. God dammit. But then, funbux happened. Would I do something responsible, something that maybe the whole family might enjoy? Or would I do something kind-of dumb--the kind of decision that only an goofball with a gun problem would make?

I think we all know the answer to that question.

Gather around, my little Smithies! It's time to meet your your new sibling!

She don't have to get all gussied up to be reeeeeeeel purty....

Oh, they didn't say I'd be getting ACCESSORIES!!!!! (I have a few of those instruction manuals now. They only make the one for all of their revolvers.)

In case you forget who makes 'er:

And in case you forget what she likes to eat:

Yes, my favorite women's magazine is Hustler. How could you tell?

Safe Mode: ENGAGED!!

This one is just for you people who have an opinion about this. You know who you are, and don't worry, I love you, too.

OK, ladies. Get lined up for a picture. All of you together. Yes, that's nice!!

"OK, girls, I'm going to grab a drink. You behave while I'm out of the room, m'kay? ... ... ... Mmmm, that's good tea. OK, I'm back, how about we OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!? GET THAT BARREL OUT OF THERE, YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE IT'S BEEN!!!!!

I want to shoot something.

White grips are almost ordered. I'm going to see if Altamont will send me a sample of "bonded ivory" so I can see how it behaves with my local laser engraver.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

LMAO at the trolling over the common wailing and gnashing of teeth over the HILLARY HOLE.

Fuckin awesome revolver. Go shoot it and report back!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Very nice! Are you going to swap the grips or stick with the rubber ones?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

At the very least, I will be getting a set of grips I can mod into Sledge Hammer! grips. Obviously, those will be for show. I absolutely do not want anyone thinking that this is a Dirty Harry gun.

Having shot my 686 with different wood grips and the stock... uh, stocks, I have to say that S&W stock stocks perform surprisingly well. I still haven't shot it with the new Altai grips. If I like how they feel, I might get some for the 629. Or, I might get a more performance-minded, recoil mitigating option for the big gun.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

lol awesome.

I doubt I"ll ever own one just because it doesn't really fit in with a lot of my other interests but goddamn do I love me a big, stupid wheelgun.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol awesome.

I doubt I"ll ever own one just because it doesn't really fit in with a lot of my other interests but goddamn do I love me a big, stupid wheelgun.

Big-bore magnums are like boats, better to have a friend that owns one.

Lol, Tarlibone. When your revolver is so big a smaller gun fits in the trigger guard. Rated 5.

AceMcSquelch
Feb 16, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Big-bore magnums are like boats, better to have a friend that owns one.

Lol, Tarlibone. When your revolver is so big a smaller gun fits in the trigger guard. Rated 5.

My friends rely on me for shooting my Super Blackhawk in .44 mag, as much as I rely on a friend for his X-FRAME FIVE HUNDRED SMITH AND WESSON revolver. The wheel turns.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

I've shot one of those Dirty Harry guns off and on over the years. My uncle always loaded it up with "Ultra Magnum Deerfucker Fireball" loads. To this day, the only gun that has compared to its recoil was a 45-70 Carbine. But getting kicked in the shoulder is different than having a fireball in your face.

I was wearing gloves one trip to the farm that developed a split in the leather after a day of shooting the 44.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

big bullet best bullet.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

tarlibone posted:

This one is just for you people who have an opinion about this. You know who you are, and don't worry, I love you, too.
I don't even have a S&W wheelgun (yet) but this still almost made me drunk cry.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

tarlibone posted:

At the very least, I will be getting a set of grips I can mod into Sledge Hammer! grips. Obviously, those will be for show. I absolutely do not want anyone thinking that this is a Dirty Harry gun.

Having shot my 686 with different wood grips and the stock... uh, stocks, I have to say that S&W stock stocks perform surprisingly well. I still haven't shot it with the new Altai grips. If I like how they feel, I might get some for the 629. Or, I might get a more performance-minded, recoil mitigating option for the big gun.
I used to have a Dan Wesson 44 mag and a ruger 44 mag with wood grips, recoil was still pretty manageable with the hard grips. Might still be a good idea to keep the rubber ones around though.

Captain Log posted:

I've shot one of those Dirty Harry guns off and on over the years. My uncle always loaded it up with "Ultra Magnum Deerfucker Fireball" loads. To this day, the only gun that has compared to its recoil was a 45-70 Carbine. But getting kicked in the shoulder is different than having a fireball in your face.

I was wearing gloves one trip to the farm that developed a split in the leather after a day of shooting the 44.
500 magnums are an entire different class than even 44mag. I won't shoot one again because I simply can't control that much recoil.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Parts Kit posted:

500 magnums are an entire different class than even 44mag. I won't shoot one again because I simply can't control that much recoil.

I shot a friends .454 when I was looking at a new bear gun. That was an experience. In some ways, it was less painful than a lightweight .357 with heavy loads, but more - arm crushing.

I kept hiking with my 12 gauge.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

I keep hearing that the recoil on the .44 isn't actually bad if you're shooting it from a big chonky gun. Wanna test that out. I've only the one revolver at the moment ( Ruger Security Six in .357 ), but it is easily my favorite gun to shoot. There's something uniquely, wonderfully tactile about thumbing back a hammer and that crisp af trigger pull in single action. And they always make such delightful mechanical sounds.

Revolvers are also a lot more fun to shoot for long periods of time than mag-fed guns. Loading magazines gets loving. Old.

Nice gun.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Awesome looking .44

I've been on the fence about buying a blued model 29 or going full stupid and getting 460. I put a box through a 500 one time and once I got the hang of it, it wasn't that bad.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Unless the manual is wrong, if you get a revolver chambered in 460 magnum, you can also shoot 45 LC and 454 Casull.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Unless the manual is wrong, if you get a revolver chambered in 460 magnum, you can also shoot 45 LC and 454 Casull.

Wikipedia states that 460 Magnum is a lengthened 454 Casull, which is a lengthened 45LC, so that should work. It also might chamber .45 Schofield which is similar to a shortened 45LC.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

About a year ago, I was in the market for my first 22, so I was looking at used guns in a local pawn shop. I actually saw a S&W Model 460 that day. I was still extremely new to guns, so hearing that it could fire at least three different cartridges made it sound like the coolest, most versatile, most coolest gun in the world. Of course, I didn't know that those are uncommon rounds nowadays, and expensive to boot. Still, it's a big, cool gun.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine

Grimey Drawer

That is an awesome Smith and 44 mag is a hoot to shoot! It's cool that there's such a big range of 44 rounds from plinking to wrist-fucker and it definitely seems like a good round for the reloader.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Yesss

We must hug now, as brothers.

Why don't I have a picture of my Model 29?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

I don't have a .44, but I don't have a keyhole either.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I have a Model 10 with no lock. And I would never look down on it, treat it differently, or even mention the fact that it was born without one. I like it just as much as I like all the others.

In all seriousness, though... it is my only S&W revolver that doesn't have adjustable sights, and it's not made out of stainless steel, either. I love it and shoot it whenever I can, but...

... I mean it wouldn't mind if I just glanced at a couple of 67's, you know, just for fun....

... whoa, that's weird. My wife just gave me the stink-eye. Out of the blue. Like she knows I'm up to something.

BTW, that is a handsome gun. Model 17? You know, if you had two of those, I think that counts as a 44.

Now I want to make a model of an 88 magnum.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Well, I'm resurrecting this thread with a double-post because... it's done!

And my range should be opening up next week. Limited capacity, of course. And probably limited to members only, which is fine because I'm a membersonly.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hah goddamn those grips

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

All you other Slim Shadys can GTFO, this is now the awesomest gun on TFR.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

How did you engrave those grips? Looks great!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

How did you engrave those grips? Looks great!

Thanks!

My local gunne shoppe has a laser engraving setup. Well, I told them what I was thinking about doing, and they told me to bring in a high-resolution image or a vector drawing. This show is from the 80s, so I could not bring in a high-res image because none exist, and you'd see pixelation if we tried using the best image available from the DVD. I imported the best image I could find into GIMP, then I started recreating the hammer. I used pure shapes, like circles and symmetrical curves, for the hammer and the halo. For the scrimshaw effect, I just drew a crazy amount of shorter, curved and straight paths.

I turned those paths into an SVG file, used Inkscape to get the final image (which I've since found out would have been easier to use than GIMP from the get-go, but I'm used to GIMP), and took it to the guys at the shop with a set of $60 bonded ivory, non-checkered Altamont grips. The laser couldn't cut too deeply into the material, probably because it works best when it's doing solid shapes and can chew away at the material. But, this worked well enough. Those grooves are not deep at all, but they're deep enough to grab paint. I rubbed automotive touch-up paint on the grips, wiped the excess away with denatured alcohol, repeated that a few times, and... nice!

I'm sure it's not the most durable treatment, and if it wears too much I'll buff it all away and we'll try a different method. But since these aren't the main shooting grips, it'll be fine. These are here mostly for fun. I'll take some shots with them, but I have my rubber "business" grips for hurling lead down range.

I'm definitely going back if I ever have a design that's not just a bunch of skinny lines. That laser engraver can do some amazing stuff.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Appreciating the work that went into this as well as the final product

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

What....what is that symbol?

I was born in 1984, so it might have been literally before my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Captain Log posted:

What....what is that symbol?

I was born in 1984, so it might have been literally before my time.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Sledge_Hammer!