Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Burt Sexual posted:

Is she still here and able to change rules?

Content : I’m just legit interested in what Logan has been up to. It’s been a few months? There have been like 10k ideas kicked around some dumb a few interesting. Does any one track these?

man even when Lowtax makes a thread like this himself, nothing much happens in the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

oh but seriously I posted:

Code being what it is, you would have to pay by the hour.

I donated 20 bucks to that one weirdo and now I have the anarchist symbol.

Pretty cool, no doubt.

I want a little gorilla or chimp face next to my name. :3

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah, I'm tracking them. Logan revitalized the front page by bringing in and managing talented writers and artists and also me. Now we're turning our attention to making the forums better, but that costs $. I made this thread for fundraiser goals: If someone has a good and popular idea she'll get an estimate and then say "it costs $X, if we raise that, it's a go!"

Why is the front page not responsive and mobile friendly?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

What if every time the subtitle of a mega thread gets changed to something funny from the thread the OP is changed with a link to the post its from so I can read the context?

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Earwicker posted:

put in a button that helps us instantly share our posts to popular website Digg.com

I digg it!

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

what don't you dig

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah, I'm tracking them. Logan revitalized the front page by bringing in and managing talented writers and artists and also me. Now we're turning our attention to making the forums better, but that costs $. I made this thread for fundraiser goals: If someone has a good and popular idea she'll get an estimate and then say "it costs $X, if we raise that, it's a go!"

Is there anything that can be done to fix forum issues outside of just upgrading to Xenforo?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Probations should be 24 hours minimum. 6 hours is short enough that they may not even notice that they can’t post. Also posters with mile-long rap sheets shouldn’t continue to get brief probations.

Also dark mode.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
people without rap sheets are insufferable, ban them

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Probations should be 24 hours minimum. 6 hours is short enough that they may not even notice that they can’t post. Also posters with mile-long rap sheets shouldn’t continue to get brief probations.

Also dark mode.

shutup nerd

lowtax should take a community college class about business like stringer bell did and go from there or just sell heroin

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Drunk Nerds is an internet writing peddler that tried to trick a bunch of SAS goons into writing his sports columns for free. He also took BeerSheets, which was a charity driven fantasy football cheat sheet that Beer4TheBeerGod created every year, and monetized it for his own website that gets zero views and no social media engagement outside of the BeerSheets traffic. How he convinced him to do this is beyond me.

I wouldn't trust him at all to 'revitalize the front page' or 'make the forums better' outside of draconian probating for shitposting.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Doltos posted:

Drunk Nerds is an internet writing peddler that tried to trick a bunch of SAS goons into writing his sports columns for free. He also took BeerSheets, which was a charity driven fantasy football cheat sheet that Beer4TheBeerGod created every year, and monetized it for his own website that gets zero views and no social media engagement outside of the BeerSheets traffic. How he convinced him to do this is beyond me.

I wouldn't trust him at all to 'revitalize the front page' or 'make the forums better' outside of draconian probating for shitposting.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Man I've been writing articles (my SA posts) for years now, lowtax has been fleecing me this entire loving time

Time to pay up! Can a mod reach out to him?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Doltos posted:

:drat:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Doltos posted:

We need a goon scammer megathread

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Ah I get it: football and all the other sports are on hold now so it's time for another grift

Personally, I hope he starves

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Speaking of drunk nerds, his thread about the stalker is still in my drat bookmarks despite being inaccessible and I can't get rid of it

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Willfrey posted:

people without rap sheets are insufferable, ban them

so true

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

yikes! posted:

Speaking of drunk nerds, his thread about the stalker is still in my drat bookmarks despite being inaccessible and I can't get rid of it

Same, I have 15 unread posts and no resolution and it's killing me.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Same, I have 15 unread posts and no resolution and it's killing me.

Link?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My wife has the world's dumbest stalker

I assume it was moved to the mod forum because of personal info or something.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

My wife has the world's dumbest stalker

I assume it was moved to the mod forum because of personal info or something.

It’s cause the stalker started quoting the thread on gofundme, on account of he’s a loving stalker.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well there's part of the resolution I lacked, at least.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Drunk Nerds posted:

I made this thread for fundraiser goals: If someone has a good and popular idea she'll get an estimate and then say "it costs $X, if we raise that, it's a go!"
Isn't that the idea behind "spend money so we can move to Xenforo v3.0 and get rid of Radiumcode"?

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Isn't that the idea behind "spend money so we can move to Xenforo v3.0 and get rid of Radiumcode"?

lmao are you seriously suggesting an upgrade?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
like/dislike system internal to each thread. the most disliked poster per thread gets probated. or the most liked. i still haven't decided. it should probably be random.

Zane fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 6, 2020

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Zane posted:

. the most disliked poster per thread gets probated. or the most liked. i still haven't decided. it should probably be random.

We already have this system in place

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Salty Josh posted:

I donated 20 bucks to that one weirdo and now I have the anarchist symbol.

Pretty cool, no doubt.

I want a little gorilla or chimp face next to my name. :3

1. Get banned
2. Buy new username
3. Add 🐵/🐒/🙊/🙉/🙈 before your name.
4. Profit? (for the site)

Edit:

The best thing you could do for the site/forums is just rebuild the entire code. Make it responsive on mobile. Remove loading entire pages where possible. Save on bandwidth.
But that costs a lot of money upfront.
I mean, it can't be easy to add any new modules to the site the way it works right now.

itry fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 6, 2020

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

itry posted:

1. Get banned
2. Buy new username
3. Add 🐵/🐒/🙊/🙉/🙈 before your name.
4. Profit? (for the site)

Edit:

The best thing you could do for the site/forums is just rebuild the entire code. Make it responsive on mobile. Remove loading entire pages where possible. Save on bandwidth.
But that costs a lot of money upfront.
I mean, it can't be easy to add any new modules to the site the way it works right now.

I heard the coding for this site is pretty terrible. I imagine it would be like trying to assemble full pages from garbage bags full of shredded material.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I guess it's a mix of comedically hosed up code, stock forum code, and actually smart stuff, too. With gently caress knows what weird dependencies going on. But this is part of its history, imo.

It's p. impressive to me it stayed standing.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

This was exactly the thing I was looking for, thanks!

And thanks to everyone who provided smaller goals, they will make good lower—tier goals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I had closed this thread because it was turning south, but I now realize if people think there is something sketchy with my character it will hurt our bottom line, which will in turn hurt this community's chances of getting even better

Doltos posted:

Drunk Nerds is an internet writing peddler that tried to trick a bunch of SAS goons into writing his sports columns for free.

We asked for some writers to write for free, promising them a weekly check when the money came in. Literally every writer in the industry, including ourselves, started this way. One season later, the money came in and we cut them all a weekly check. All 5 of them are extremely happy to continue writing for us whenever football returns.

quote:

He also took BeerSheets, which was a charity driven fantasy football cheat sheet that Beer4TheBeerGod created every year, and monetized it for his own website that gets zero views and no social media engagement outside of the BeerSheets traffic. How he convinced him to do this is beyond me.

A few simple clicks would show that Beersheets still gets revenue for charity, but you are too mentally unwell to do this. Keeping Beersheets charity revenue was one of our top priorities. In fact, I believe the streamlining we paid for (at no charge to Beer4theBeerGod) allowed Beersheets to reach enough people to RAISE the amount it was making for charity. Then we used the money from our ad earnings to pay the coder who did the streamlining. Not a penny from Beersheets has gone to our private accounts: We've invested every cent into making beersheets better and faster and paying our writers to do what they love. One day we hope to expand our media collective into one that makes us a salary, but the notion that we made any money off of exploiting someone is just bizarre.

quote:

I never said I was "revitalizing the front page," I said Logan did. Yet another of the huge lies you've had to make to twist my attitude of "hey, I need ideas to help out the forums," into "hey, I'm some wicked trickster looking to defraud you all."

I'm head of the PTA at my kids' elementary school: I run at least 4 fundraisers a year. I've run over a dozen successful fundraisers for multiple organizations, and this one will be using similar formulas to the ones I've run. I try to make every I am part of better, and hopefully that will soon include this one.

It makes me sad: I asked for ideas to improve our community so I could organize a fundraiser to help make everyone's enjoyment better, and this somehow made you mad. It makes me wonder what else in life makes you sad that would actually make you happy if you got over the emotional issues that make you obsessively poo poo up any thread I make.

We got 5 writers for the site who are now paid. None of them were goons because you ruined that attempt. Please don't ruin this attempt to better the Something Awful community.

Please consider seeking professional help, whether this consists of therapy or just getting laid so you're not so angry all the time. You could be so much happier.