Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

stealie72 posted:

30-30 is great, but $$$$ compared to .357/.38 for little benefit if you arent killing deer.

The advantage to 30-30 is the glut of cheap but nice Winchester 94ís out there which are half the price of a new Rossi 92/Marlin 1894 in 38/357 which are both iffy on quality or are known to need work.

You can be out the door with a post 64 30-30 Winchester 94 for under $400 or spend $550 on a Rossi that needs $200 more in parts/work and is a crap shoot. Never mind an older Marlin in 38/357 or a Winchester 94 in 357 are both well over $1k used anymore.

The cost savings of a 38/357 lever gun is around 30 cents per shot savings while just glancing at available stuff right now. So if you intend to run 1,000 rounds or more thru said gun pistol caliber is worth it. It bet most of these guns will never see round counts like that unless used by a cowboy action shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Zone
Jan 20, 2006

I got a little fudd in me but thats ok.

My 357 rossi is beat to poo poo and back. It gets the most use out of any of the guns I own - really love it. Decided it was time to do some upgrades.

Got a metal follower, a peep sight and a thinner front sight from Steves Gunz, https://stevesgunz.com/ and a no drill rail from https://www.mod94scoperail.com/ and then I slapped on some cheap sportsmans warehouse buttstock cover (I'd like something in leather at some point)

The rail is solid and easy to install - it even had a little mini sight on the end of it which I just zero'd with a boresight. The real treasure is replacing the rear sight with the steves one. I had a williams peep for a while but having it further back makes a HUGE difference. The plan is to slap a scout scope on it come scouting season and then take it off the rest of the time

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Coldrice posted:

I got a little fudd in me but thats ok.

My 357 rossi is beat to poo poo and back. It gets the most use out of any of the guns I own - really love it. Decided it was time to do some upgrades.

Got a metal follower, a peep sight and a thinner front sight from Steves Gunz, https://stevesgunz.com/ and a no drill rail from https://www.mod94scoperail.com/ and then I slapped on some cheap sportsmans warehouse buttstock cover (I'd like something in leather at some point)

The rail is solid and easy to install - it even had a little mini sight on the end of it which I just zero'd with a boresight. The real treasure is replacing the rear sight with the steves one. I had a williams peep for a while but having it further back makes a HUGE difference. The plan is to slap a scout scope on it come scouting season and then take it off the rest of the time

I've been eyeing that exact same rail for my own Rossi. Let us know how it holds up when you get an optic on it.

Action Jesus
Jun 18, 2002

If you're just having fun plinking maybe some SASS or something maybe a little light hunting, a pistol caliber lever gun can't be beat.

but .30-30 is cool as hell as a surprisingly versatile "practical" round. In this essay I will

I've posted this pic a few times, I did this up back in 2016. It's one of the early remington/freedom era Marlin 336 youth models (I am a huge fan of marlins even when they're from the bad times) I found it at a local gun shop for a song and it pushed me to attempt an absurdist thought exercise I'd had for years. I had just enough meat on the end of the barrel in front of the front sight and mag tube I could thread for an adaptor for my form 1 suppressor. The wood on the rifles in that era is pretty bad so I found some synthetic stocks for a full sized 336, I had to drill a recess between the barrel and mag tube to get the longer handguard to fit but whatever. I did some stippling where checkering would otherwise be (they came completely smooth) installed some QD flush cups, and coated them with Brownell's Alumahyde II.

The XS Scout Rail and ghost rings are super rad and actually (lower 1/5th?) cowitness with that cheap little bushnell TRS-25. It's a battery eater but otherwise usable dot, a place holder for an aimpoint or something better. The last issue I tackled with this gun is the lovely finish, it had a couple scratches on it and the bluing on the marlins of this era is very thin looking, if I were smarter I'd guess its just a very cheap chemical bluing but who knows. I media blasted it and cerakoted all the metal Burnt Bronze, which ended up contrasting nicely with the Coyote alumahyde I think. What I should have done when I had it disassembled before refinish was slick up some of the parts inside; its not bad but could definitely be better.

It's a very fun gun and hilariously quiet with subsonic rounds. I load up cast 150gr bullets over a case load of trail boss and its about as quiet as a suppressed .22 pistol. What I really enjoy about the .30-30 is that you can get such a variety of performance, such as super quiet rounds, super low recoiling rounds, or super effective hunting/defense loadings. That's part of the caveat of .30-30 I think, unfortunately, is that to really get the most out of the cartridge you're likely going to want a reloading setup. Most of the stuff (all of it?) on the shelf at stores is 180gr deer blasters, which will always be better at popping a doe after 4 or 5 budweisers than they will be at being fun to shoot. I personally like the 150gr Barnes TSX loads for practical applications like hunting, it is very effective. The .308 projectile means you can basically use any non spitzer round though, like 110gr projectiles made for .30 carbine, etc.

not me, a friend shooting it in the desert

Action Jesus fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 8, 2020

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

Hell yeah, get a lever gun. Get weird with it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Goddamn thatís some neat work.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Action Jesus - Rad AF, if I reloaded I'd probably have to go buy another 30-30 based on that post. I like it.

unknonymous - Holy cow. That's cool.

Here's my Space Cowboy gun. I haven't trimmed that sling to length because I'm not convinced it will stay on that rifle. I'll probably swap out the 3 MOA Vortex red dot for one with a slightly smaller dot but this one is fine for now.

I have the Midwest Industries MLOK forend in my garage, I just haven't installed it yet because I like how it looks and handles with the wood.

But I might install that and throw a Surefire scout light on there because why not.

Crow Zone
Jan 20, 2006

For light attachment Iím currently saving up my pesos and pennies for one of these

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/8/ProductID/135

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Coldrice posted:

For light attachment I’m currently saving up my pesos and pennies for one of these

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/8/ProductID/135

Yeah I almost bought one of those. They look nice.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

All levers need saddle rings

Independence
Jul 11, 2006

I like it in .357 but I have to replace the buckhorn sights someday.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Action Jesus posted:

If you're just having fun plinking maybe some SASS or something maybe a little light hunting, a pistol caliber lever gun can't be beat.

but .30-30 is cool as hell as a surprisingly versatile "practical" round. In this essay I will

I really dig the finish work you did on that, looks great.

The Marlin Dark series are admittedly a temptation for me now that I have a 30 cal can, but I don't really shoot my dad's Win94 enough to justify it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Capn Beeb posted:

All levers need saddle rings

I cant wait until the cst goes back in stock and I can get my ffl buddy to order it for me. I'm probably going to go with some colorful laminate furniture for it over the tactical black.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

unknonymous posted:

Hell yeah, get a lever gun. Get weird with it.

What am I looking at on the stock here?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

A cheek riser, so you can look through the red dot sight while maintaining a proper cheek weld. Without it, you'd have to hold your head up off the stock to look through the sight.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Hers and His. .22LR for my wife, and .45 Colt for me. I might toss a rail and a SPARC II on the Big Boy though for that 40k feel.

unknonymous
May 16, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

What am I looking at on the stock here?

Dick Burglar pretty well nailed it. It's the hardware from a Graco adjustable comb and I cut out the stock with a coping saw. Probably wouldn't have done that on a good stock, but it's a Rossi so the wood was cheap. I also stained it and applied some Danish oil to make the wood a little more aesthetically pleasing.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Lever guns rule! I have a couple very old old family Marlins in .22 and 30-30 that have been flawless all my life. I bought a newer 44 mag in the curly maple color which is pretty and has no issues being a newer model in the Remington era.

However, I saw this stupid thing on Gunbroker and had to have it. Henry .410 lever action Axe. Not a rifle, not a pistol, just a "firearm" which is legal where I live. Crappy picture because I just took a picture of the leather lever wrap I had sewn on. It's a great shooting little shotty one handed or two. When I get a cylinder choke installed, they make defense rounds in .410 that look interesting.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Rossi R92 in 357/38 is your cheapest option for centerfire leveractions.

I have had mine for a few years. Not the best wood or fit and finish but not terrible either.

Only things I would suggest are cutting the mag spring a tiny bit shorter. You can fit 11+1 38spl and 9+1 .357 with a cut down spring. The plastic mag plunger isn't a huge deal, pretty sure I'm running the stock plastic one in mine.

And if you want the action to cycle much easier and your brass to tumble out rather than get chucked behind you it's easy/cheap to change out the Ejector spring.

I made a YT video of the process a while back.
https://youtu.be/_ENMY1wTN2I

Winchester 1894 is also a great gun but .30-30 is cost prohibitive for plinking. If you find a decent deal they are great rifles.

I made a (very poorly produced) video about them as well explaining the different eras of production and how to tell them apart.
https://youtu.be/BwEjlMY2vK0

Winchester 1873s are also very nice and likely one of the smoothest 38/357 lever actions but even the clones start at ~$1000 with used ones being in the $800 range so not the cheapest option unless you stumble on a killer deal.

Marlin/Henry also make some great 38/357 levers but I personally never was a huge fan of their reciever design aesthetic.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Pitre posted:

Lever guns rule! I have a couple very old old family Marlins in .22 and 30-30 that have been flawless all my life. I bought a newer 44 mag in the curly maple color which is pretty and has no issues being a newer model in the Remington era.

However, I saw this stupid thing on Gunbroker and had to have it. Henry .410 lever action Axe. Not a rifle, not a pistol, just a "firearm" which is legal where I live. Crappy picture because I just took a picture of the leather lever wrap I had sewn on. It's a great shooting little shotty one handed or two. When I get a cylinder choke installed, they make defense rounds in .410 that look interesting.

A good idea is a good idea, so thanks for that.
Kept waffling back and forth on orange or yellow thread. Turned out okay.

And add me to the "leverguns rule but if this were in a pistol caliber I'd shoot it ten times as much" group.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

TheNothingNew posted:

And add me to the "leverguns rule but if this were in a pistol caliber I'd shoot it ten times as much" group.

That looks better than OK. You did a good job.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Thanks, man.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

TheNothingNew posted:

Noice! Yeah, my new favorite levergun is the Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum. Tames that beefy pistol cartridge down to a fun shooting gong donger.

Oh, just found another pic of the Henry Axe before the leather wrap. It fits in my range/cleaning bag nicely.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

Pitre posted:

Noice! Yeah, my new favorite levergun is the Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum. Tames that beefy pistol cartridge down to a fun shooting gong donger.

Oh, just found another pic of the Henry Axe before the leather wrap. It fits in my range/cleaning bag nicely.

this thread shouldn't be a month old

no sick pictures yet because I'm waitin on a leather wrap/sling but I'm thinking of putting a red dot on my 1894/44 and I'm looking at the Vortex Venom for the low-profile quick acquisition

any nays/yeas with that one particularly? other recommendations? 3MOA or 6MOA? I'm not... like trying to get bullseyes at 200 yards with a pistol cartridge, it'd be quicker plinking and blowing up targets with a 6MOA dot

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Gunshow Poophole posted:

no sick pictures yet because I'm waitin on a leather wrap/sling but I'm thinking of putting a red dot on my 1894/44 and I'm looking at the Vortex Venom for the low-profile quick acquisition

any nays/yeas with that one particularly? other recommendations? 3MOA or 6MOA? I'm not... like trying to get bullseyes at 200 yards with a pistol cartridge, it'd be quicker plinking and blowing up targets with a 6MOA dot

You can see my 1894c further up this page, it has a 3 MOA venom on it and I think it's fine size wise. I have used that Venom on a 22 before this gun. Have not been able to take this setup out to the range yet though. I used the Venom because I already owned it. If I were starting from scratch I'd probably have done a Holosun, or if willing to spend a bit more, a Trijicon SRO or Leupold DPP.

The mount I used is very low profile, replaces the rear sight. Made by Turnbull for the Fastfire3 but Venom shares same mounting pattern. I'm debating if I want to get a RMR conversion plate and replace the Venom with my new Holosun 508T. I like the circle dot reticle. The Venom is really nice and small though.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

holy poo poo I hadn't even thought about solar powered optics lol

i also need to get out to the range more before i commit but *gestures around* things are insane

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Personally I don't like putting pistol dots on rifles, it's much easier to break them there if they get knocked over or in transit. Fwiw at matches I've seen vortex venoms have the glass break or fall out multiple times on both pistols and rifles. Id go with a bushnell or holosun or other aimpoint micro size dot that is fully enclosed. For a similar price you can get a much more durable optic.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

took some advice from this thread and now you can call me Maurice

moved the sight all the way forward on the rail and was getting rounds on target at 120yds standing which is very good for me! I'm super happy with how this turned out

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

With a rifle that snazzy, and the accuracy with which you operate it, you have proven that you truly are the pompatus of... uhm... whatever caliber that's in.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Is that a 336?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

With that style of bolt, I'm pretty sure it's an 1894, but I can't tell if it's .357 or .45. 336s don't have that flat bolt face with the big cut-out. Their bolts are (partly) enclosed on the right side of the receiver.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 11, 2020

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Not mine but it is another UK shooter - he decided to do something a little different with his lever action rifle and make it belt fed,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU5qtmvwftY

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

1894 in 44mag!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

Baconroll posted:

Not mine but it is another UK shooter - he decided to do something a little different with his lever action rifle and make it belt fed,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU5qtmvwftY

This is insanely cool haha

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I tested some reloads in my lever action today. Rossi R92, the only 44 magnum rifle that can boast performance that is actually legendary--just check the box; in the US, you can't put it on the box if it ain't true.

It loves cowboy-style 44 magnums (200 grain lead round nose flat point, probably going around 1,000 fps). Got some great groups with those goofy-rear end loads, and I only wish I'd had more of them to shoot. I did find out that while it can eat any 44 magnum I've run through it with smooth loading, cycling, and ejection, it is less enamored with my 44 special loads. Way less. I got everything to run, but it was noticeably less smooth. I had a few getting hung up when I cycled, though a little jiggle got everything going.

Anyone else ever experience things like this when running shorter cartridges (that still chamber)? Like, 38 special with 357 rifles, or... uhm... 45 Colt with 454 Casull, if that's a thing? Or, more hilariously (and probably more fun-ly), 22 short or 22 long with 22 long rifle?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

tarlibone posted:

I tested some reloads in my lever action today. Rossi R92, the only 44 magnum rifle that can boast performance that is actually legendary--just check the box; in the US, you can't put it on the box if it ain't true.

It loves cowboy-style 44 magnums (200 grain lead round nose flat point, probably going around 1,000 fps). Got some great groups with those goofy-rear end loads, and I only wish I'd had more of them to shoot. I did find out that while it can eat any 44 magnum I've run through it with smooth loading, cycling, and ejection, it is less enamored with my 44 special loads. Way less. I got everything to run, but it was noticeably less smooth. I had a few getting hung up when I cycled, though a little jiggle got everything going.

Anyone else ever experience things like this when running shorter cartridges (that still chamber)? Like, 38 special with 357 rifles, or... uhm... 45 Colt with 454 Casull, if that's a thing? Or, more hilariously (and probably more fun-ly), 22 short or 22 long with 22 long rifle?

Oh most definitely, my marlin doesn't exactly throw brass on a good day but 44spl makes it downright anemic, cases trickle out.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Yeah my Marlin's extraction was pretty ho hum, so I put one of these extractors in it:

https://www.rangerpointstore.com/marlin-1894-feed-issues-m-94-extractor-claw-2017-all-new-design/

Much better!

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.

Captain Log posted:

Rossi still makes that asinine revolver rifle. Even if it slowly burns you hands, it still looks cool as gently caress. Like a gun from Firefly.

I handled one at a gun store and its one of the few rifles that the cheek comb height was perfect and the action was nice with a crisp trigger. The cheesy blast deflector around the cylinder was disconcerting, but if I had throw away money I honestly would consider getting one.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

ChauchetRedemption posted:

I handled one at a gun store and its one of the few rifles that the cheek comb height was perfect and the action was nice with a crisp trigger. The cheesy blast deflector around the cylinder was disconcerting, but if I had throw away money I honestly would consider getting one.

One of my SRA buds just bought a circuit judge lmao we gonna shoot it tomorrow and I'll take pictures

It sounds awful but heck I'm all about fun gimmicks if you can afford it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

One of my SRA buds just bought a circuit judge lmao we gonna shoot it tomorrow and I'll take pictures

It sounds awful but heck I'm all about fun gimmicks if you can afford it

Wear long sleeves and maybe gloves