Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

tarlibone posted:

Or is this the excuse I need for aperture sights? And anyone have suggestions on that front? I'm looking around, but if anyone has experience here....

Skinner makes nice aperture sights

http://www.skinnersights.com/index.html

You could also get one of those XS combos:

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993346&CAT=8408

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I've heard of some issues with Marlin leverguns, where they had QA issues during a certain period, but earlier and later guns were generally fine. How would I go about figuring out which category a rifle fell into?

My choices are pretty seriously limited because I'm in Australia, can't just duck into a local gun store and pick one up, and if I applied for the permit now I'd probably be able to get it in the safe by Christmas.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Most of the issues with marlins were right after the Remington acquisition. The biggest issues were fit/finish and rough internals. The seemed to have it figured out by 2016, and I havenít heard of many issues since. If you order from a high volume retailer your chances of getting a gun that has been sitting around since then is slim. If you can find a shop with it in stock then you could handle it and check fit/finish first.

I bought my 1895 in 2018 and itís good as can be. The action wasnít super smooth, but after a few hundred rounds itís as smooth as a JM Marlin. The good news is an action job isnít a huge deal, you can do it yourself or a competent smith could do it for a hundred or so (US dollars).

If you do go with a Marlin check out their Dark series. Factory rail, threaded barrel, rear peep, big loop, synthetic furniture.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Apparently Marlin is alright, bordering on Good now, provided you don't buy their absolute bare rear end entry level .30-30 rifle. I hear those are still hot garbage.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Mar 31, 2010

Memento posted:

I've heard of some issues with Marlin leverguns, where they had QA issues during a certain period, but earlier and later guns were generally fine. How would I go about figuring out which category a rifle fell into?

My choices are pretty seriously limited because I'm in Australia, can't just duck into a local gun store and pick one up, and if I applied for the permit now I'd probably be able to get it in the safe by Christmas.

If the serial number starts with MR, it is post-Freedom Group acquisition, which is where the problems cropped up.

I've got a Freedom era 1894C, and it has very, very rough wood, and I've had the lifter freeze up on me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

For anyone who has access to the Tubes for Yous, Lucky Gunner has begun a series about lever action rifles.

It's been pretty fun so far.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

yeah lever actions are pretty sick here's my saddle shorty and some black powder smoke i've been posting

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
Posters' Local 42069

Clapping Larry

Poniard posted:

yeah lever actions are pretty sick here's my saddle shorty and some black powder smoke i've been posting

this is a stunning gun

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Gunshow Poophole posted:

this is a stunning gun

No, this is a stunning gun.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Not a lever action

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I need more guns with wood, and to polish up the wood they have somehow. Most of my guns are practical with plastic grips but nice wood on a gun is gorgeous.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I need more guns with wood, and to polish up the wood they have somehow. Most of my guns are practical with plastic grips but nice wood on a gun is gorgeous.

My friend have you ever heard the good word of Mauser?

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Poniard posted:

Hell yeah '73 gang what up

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Did the OP ever buy his lever gun?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Cyrano4747 posted:

My friend have you ever heard the good word of Mauser?

Post how much you've spent on Mausers at this point, coward. I'll even let you not include the HK SL7.

I've actually got a Brazilian .22 with gorgeous wood, but it's at my dad's house and needs a new bolt after the bolt got stolen when my pistol safe was stolen. it's really impressive how good the fit and finish is considering the general reputation Brazilian guns get. It also needs a new magazine, but thankfully it's compatible with some old Remington magazines.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

My vintage Marlin 336 is a hoot and has instantly charmed everyone Iíve handed it to. Iím no fantastic shot but it shoots minute-of-deer just fine and thatís all I want it to do.

Having a .357 lever would def be better for budget though for sure.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Ran to the range to zero one of my ARs and my 1894c last week. Fun as hell. Didn't have a very stable shooting platform but got good enough groups to zero the red dot. Very handy combination, this is one of my favorite rifles to shoot.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013

so my current white whale is a winchester 1895 in 7.62x54r. I'm guessing that there aren't a lot of them floating around out in the world, especially in the US market, is the best bet looking for one browsing auction sites and gunbroker? is this more applicable to the C&R thread?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I blame Killing floor 1 & 2 for my love of lever guns. It is on my retirement list-o-guns if the partner tolerates.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Is this a reasonable price?

https://shooterschoice.com/shop/402...-bill-30-30-win

Keep in mind, I'm in canada, where things are usually a bit more expensive, even after the exchange rate is taken in to account.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

No, it's .30-30 and costs money.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

redpleb posted:

so my current white whale is a winchester 1895 in 7.62x54r. I'm guessing that there aren't a lot of them floating around out in the world, especially in the US market, is the best bet looking for one browsing auction sites and gunbroker? is this more applicable to the C&R thread?

They do show up on gunbroker occasionally so it's worth looking from time to time.

Rock Island Auctions is a good place to look, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...

Finally got my 1894c and got some time to zero it

I love it, it's great. All it's missing is the supressor but I'm ordering that on the 25th.

I think I hosed up installing the handguard though, it walks forward under recoil. I guess I need to get a torque wrench so I can torque it down correctly.

And then get all the other tat I want to put on it.