Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
So, as Canadians, we know that The Hip are no more since St. Gord died, right? Its been long enough and we need to have a serious discussion about who's going to take their place as the spirit of Canada and Our Band. The Barenaked Ladies is at best a temporary solution and Nickleback is loving awful. So, who is the new Hip or are they completely irreplaceable as Our Band?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
carne asada fries are infinitely better than poutine motherFUCKer

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001

Chinatown posted:

And?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
gently caress alberta

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001

Junk posted:

gently caress alberta

True, but my question still stands. Who might overtake The Hip as our band?

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

The only people I've ever met who like the Tragically Hip are middle-aged men and eccentric yet endearing English professors.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

When you're driving across the country and you finally pick up a radio station playing the Hip you know you're heading back into civilization. Nothing can replace that.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Chinatown posted:

:hmmyes:

But ill def eat some poutine right now of you got some

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
gord going so insane that his brain rotted itself to death is no reason why The Hip can't forever remain canada's band

any singer/poet/songwriter that wants to take that crown, you either go just as insane and die as gord did or you fail

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
American here, just want to start by saying, thank you for The Weakerthans

I hope that softens the blow when I inform you that to the rest of the world the answer is Carly Rae Jepsen

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

battles was good

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I thought Boards of Canada was your official band. :confused:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm American and I don't know what this capitalized Hip thing is but I hope you guys get whatever it is that you need right now in these trying times

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Leonard Cohen and Oscar Peterson, you gently caress

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

Leonard Cohen and Oscar Peterson, you gently caress

Yeah when's the next live show?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
look man i just thought we were hanging out and namedropping cool dead guys

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I think Beiber is pretty popular now?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
its still the hip. the only thing ive seen come close is rock plaza central and they only did like three records.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Cubone posted:

American here, just want to start by saying, thank you for The Weakerthans

I hope that softens the blow when I inform you that to the rest of the world the answer is Carly Rae Jepsen

I'm sad to say that this is true. For a lot of dirty Europeans we assume that a lot of Canadian stars are actually from the US unless they explicitly say they are not. I did not know that Neil Young, Drake, Nelly Furtado, K. D. Lang and Leonard Cohen were Canadian until very recently.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Pawn 17 posted:

I thought Boards of Canada was your official band. :confused:

there scottish

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Sloan is still around IIRC

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The Rural Alberta Advantage maybe?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

How about Matthew Good?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Poutine is one of the most delicious things known to man.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

How about Matthew Good?

Has he done anything at all since that album he wrote while in the hospital after trying to kill himself by doing too much coke?

Anyway, the correct answer is Propagandhi

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I hope it's The Weakerthans OP. Reconstruction Site is a perfect album.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

gently caress i haven't had a poutine since before the covid times

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Arrhythmia posted:

I hope it's The Weakerthans OP. Reconstruction Site is a perfect album.

Make sure you check out John Samson's solo stuff the recent one especially is basically a Weakerthans reunion album it's really good.

The Hip are good. They are very famous in Canada and basically unknown in most of the USA outside of the most northeast. Here's a good song. Actually a great song, an all time great rock song imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6QDjDPRF5c

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
The Tea Party

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
as good as that hip song is I think I like their older somewhat less produced stuff better - this song fuckin RIPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d18UWu4dRv4

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Horatius Bonar posted:

When you're driving across the country and you finally pick up a radio station playing the Hip you know you're heading back into civilization. Nothing can replace that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Has he done anything at all since that album he wrote while in the hospital after trying to kill himself by doing too much coke?

Anyway, the correct answer is Propagandhi

He's on bipolar meds now, still kicking out albums and doing tours. He went on tour with Our Lady Peace a couple years ago, which given their history isn't the weirdest, most unlikely thing to have happened recently, but only because *gestures vaguely at everything*

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

The Tea Party is the official band of a very specific type of dumb guy who still has his childhood poster of Jim Morrison in his man cave and spends a lot of time reading trip reports on Erowid but has never done anything more hard than a couple of grams of mushrooms

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
propaghandi is canadian? The Only Good Fascist is a Very Dead Fascist has come across my spotify playlist and is p. dope, but i tried to listen to random songs of theirs on spotify and wasn't really impressed. definitely open to propaghandi suggestions

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

My Spirit Otter posted:

propaghandi is canadian? The Only Good Fascist is a Very Dead Fascist has come across my spotify playlist and is p. dope, but i tried to listen to random songs of theirs on spotify and wasn't really impressed. definitely open to propaghandi suggestions

Do you prefer punk rock or thrash metal because everything up until Today's Empires Tomorrow's Ashes was very punk and everything after is very thrash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4CzTccOD5w

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

My Spirit Otter posted:

I dont know anything of theirs except the album How To Clean Everything which I found entertaining in the nineties.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

sam roberts is a pretty good national band

welp, bye

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

My Spirit Otter posted:

my personal favourite for always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xva-cdBi8E

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

The only people I've ever met who like the Tragically Hip are middle-aged men and eccentric yet endearing English professors.

My experience is the same, minus the English professors.

I would put Barenaked Ladies and Nickleback in the same basket, but to be fair Tragically Hip is a bit better?

New Orleans Is Sinking was a good song, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Valko posted:

I'm sad to say that this is true. For a lot of dirty Europeans we assume that a lot of Canadian stars are actually from the US unless they explicitly say they are not. I did not know that Neil Young, Drake, Nelly Furtado, K. D. Lang and Leonard Cohen were Canadian until very recently.

When I got to england some brits were asking me about music in canada and I was blown away that they'd never heard of the Hip. apparently canadian content laws gave me a real skewed vision of what consituted popular radio music and canadian bands are mostly anonymous overseas.