Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I can understand the LNP pushing that, it's a cute little relief tidbit and it lands well. Their climate change denial is another example of them just straight up lying if they don't want to bother dealing with the reality of a situation, so them pushing blatantly false and dangerous things to help their own optics is 100% par for the course.. but why the gently caress was the rest of the world pretending like it was anything other than scrambling for purchase, head in the sand poo poo? You had people vigorously arguing about it months ago, using less supporting evidence than even the 5g conspiracy nuts

"Kids can't get covid" has always felt like one of those bizarre inimical memes to me, like teenagers trying to convince strangers online to microwave their phones or mix ammonia and bleach in the bathroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
You guys realise there was a study in NSW that suggested low rates of transmission among children yeah?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Theres been a study suggesting every possible outcome under the sun and its polar opposite

You can cherry pick what you want but we are talking about at the very early days when nobody knew sweet gently caress all about covid except that it was looking scary as gently caress, and then one of the million studies that comes out suddenly takes off and the same people who are whinging about covid restrictions in the first place are waving this link around like it's a golden ticket to the chocolate factory

It's basically Nostradamus batch printing vague predictions and you have four million desperate parents rummaging through old warehouses of them looking for a free pass

e: i dont know why I'm saying "very early days" as though we aren't still in them, relatively speaking. Just that cherry picking evidence for personal/political gain is pretty lame and I don't think Cool Dudes and Dudettes do such a thing

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 13, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CelestialScribe posted:

You guys realise there was a study in NSW that suggested low rates of transmission among children yeah?

Would you like to hear my theory on the shape of the earth?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I know that extremely short memories is one of the defining AusPol characteristics but I posted very early on about the virus being found in children's rectal swaps weeks after there are no signs of it in their respiratory tract. It wasn't this article but none the less:-

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...n-idUSKBN2102Y2

A lot of science is being done on this and definite answers are a long way off. It does still seem like children can't just be completely discounted as transmission vectors. What a shame that all public health measures have to be put into level one literacy language for our political representatives. Like the current bullshit in NSW around hotels and the ongoing poo poo fest that is representative football of all codes.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

CelestialScribe posted:

There were also studies that suggested an anti-malaria drug that violently savages your entire body with the side-effects best described as "not much different from Malaria" would help in dealing with the coronavirus, and a follow-up that went "Actually it might make things worse"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

Yes, and we all understand that you were happy to risk childrens lives as soon as there was a hint that it might be ok to do so.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

Cope

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A second border is being set up at Wagga. Town is full of ADF.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/QandA/status/1282652921918664706

The answer might not surprise you!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/abysmal-arrogance-and-privilege-balmain-lawyer-ordered-to-pay-neighbour-300-000-20200706-p559d2.html

The gentrified suburb of Balmain boasts water views and "elites" in "elite homes", a Sydney judge has said, but it is also home to a bitter neighbourhood feud that has cost one woman more than $300,000 in damages and a judicial dressing-down.

In an excoriating judgment on Monday, NSW Supreme Court Justice Stephen Rothman said lawyer Vanessa Hutley of Balmain had bullied her neighbour, builder Anthony Cosco, and defamed him in an A Current Affair broadcast in which she accused him of putting "my family through hell".

laffo

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
lol that judge is cool

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Lol, we had some families on a lower payment and some grandfathered into a higher payment so the only fair thing to do was to put them all on the lower payment gently caress off idiot

(to be clear the idiot that should gently caress off is the hon julia gillard AC, not forums user pecadillo)

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 14, 2020

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Yes, and we all understand that you were happy to risk childrens lives as soon as there was a hint that it might be ok to do so.

Care to explain this ridiculous post?

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002

CelestialScribe posted:

The study of 18 cases in schools is hardly comprehensive or even a study. If the test wasn't unpleasant then they would swab all of them but they're not. Schools have been shutting down for magical deep cleaning and kids isolating for a few days. By and large they are not getting tested when there is a positive case in schools.

It's following Trump logic where there will be less cases if they do less testing. People would genuinely panic if you reported double digit cases in schools.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm also puzzled as to why in Victoria it's only Year 11 and 12 going back to school when even if you reckon kids can't get coronavirus, 17 and 18 year olds aren't "kids."

I have a couple of acquaintances who are teachers and now that we're back to Zoom drinks they were saying there's just absolutely zero social distancing going on. Utterly impossible to enforce regardless of the ages of the kids.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Doc Holliday posted:

The study of 18 cases in schools is hardly comprehensive or even a study. If the test wasn't unpleasant then they would swab all of them but they're not. Schools have been shutting down for magical deep cleaning and kids isolating for a few days. By and large they are not getting tested when there is a positive case in schools.

It's following Trump logic where there will be less cases if they do less testing. People would genuinely panic if you reported double digit cases in schools.

My point is that it wasn't just "uhhhh let's open schools because we can". The libs definitely used that finding to their advantage and stretched the truth on it but it wasn't like they were the only ones saying that kids appeared to have fewer symptoms and/or didn't catch it as much.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

freebooter posted:

I'm also puzzled as to why in Victoria it's only Year 11 and 12 going back to school when even if you reckon kids can't get coronavirus, 17 and 18 year olds aren't "kids."

I have a couple of acquaintances who are teachers and now that we're back to Zoom drinks they were saying there's just absolutely zero social distancing going on. Utterly impossible to enforce regardless of the ages of the kids.

The argument is that Zoom teaching straight up isn't as good as in-person, and year 11 and 12s are theoretically old enough to understand distancing and at an extremely important stage of education, so the benefits outweigh the risks.

Whether or not one accepts those arguments is a different matter, but those are the arguments.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CelestialScribe posted:

Care to explain this ridiculous post?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921629&userid=130818

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Yeah.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

CelestialScribe posted:

My point is that it wasn't just "uhhhh let's open schools because we can". The libs definitely used that finding to their advantage and stretched the truth on it but it wasn't like they were the only ones saying that kids appeared to have fewer symptoms and/or didn't catch it as much.

I did a study and it turns out you are the world's most incorrect person. It's a piece of outlying datum that might not "mesh" with most other studies, and my methodology is suspect to say the least, but feel free to run with this study and make egregious decisions vis a vis your future posting habits

Now, take this, and instead of your bad take on an internet forum, let's pretend we are talking about potentially killing a lot of people. Doesn't seem super responsible, does it?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Hmm. Tradie friend and a school teacher mate have both been told to prepare for some time at home come Monday.

I wonder if they’re going to move to stage 4.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Sulla Faex posted:

I did a study and it turns out you are the world's most incorrect person. It's a piece of outlying datum that might not "mesh" with most other studies, and my methodology is suspect to say the least, but feel free to run with this study and make egregious decisions vis a vis your future posting habits

Now, take this, and instead of your bad take on an internet forum, let's pretend we are talking about potentially killing a lot of people. Doesn't seem super responsible, does it?

I never said it was responsible?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Take a long slow minute, think about your point to all this, and then please try to explain it

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
The original accusation was that the libs just decided that "kids can't get covid", that they pushed that message because they simply didn't want to deal with the problem. My point is that they cherry picked a piece of data, and used it irresponsibly - but it was a piece of data that was being considered seriously by the scientific community at the time. Including health professionals in Australia.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Was it though? You got a source for that or what

Because it's not cherry picking evidence if the broader scientific community says "this is real, this is statistically relevant, and we should definitely factor it into policy decisions", so that seems somewhat of an contradiction in terms, no?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Sulla Faex posted:

Was it though? You got a source for that or what

Because it's not cherry picking evidence if the broader scientific community says "this is real, this is statistically relevant, and we should definitely factor it into policy decisions", so that seems somewhat of an contradiction in terms, no?

I didn't say the broader scientific community. I said health professionals in Australia - the state heads of health in NSW and QLD specifically. We talked about it in this thread at the time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CelestialScribe posted:

I didn't say the broader scientific community. I said health professionals in Australia - the state heads of health in NSW and QLD specifically. We talked about it in this thread at the time.

Other studies and evidence were brought to the thread's attention. It doesn't matter at this stage. We know kids can get it. I wasn't spending time with anyone who had children before this lockdown and I won't after it either. Hopefully we learn some lessons from this debacle as far as taking a holistic approach to curbing spread in the future. It's a shame that we've had a lot of containment fuckups but we've probably got good data on speed of transfer via work, social stuff (even with distancing allegedly being practiced) and school.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1282841022939033601

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

https://www.firstthings.com/article/2020/08/my-time-in-prison

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Vaccine trials from UQ have started today apparently. I have been trying to avoid anything non essential in terms of news for mental health reasons, but you can't escape the alumni newsletter I guess.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Wish this oval office would Epstein himself

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Zenithe posted:

but you can't escape the alumni newsletter I guess.

They will loving track you down no matter where you go or how long it's been.

I'm surprised graveyards aren't just full of them delivered to the corpses of alumni

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I totally loving forgot Pell had his conviction quashed, but now that I remember it it was right in the week when Everything Changed

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

freebooter posted:

I totally loving forgot Pell had his conviction quashed, but now that I remember it it was right in the week when Everything Changed
another nugget for the poo poo sandwich of 2020

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

freebooter posted:

It's not 2261 though?!

https://youtu.be/lbkzoN6cjrY

On the serious side, turns out that was just another filling in the poo poo sandwich that is 2020

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Zenithe posted:

Vaccine trials from UQ have started today apparently. I have been trying to avoid anything non essential in terms of news for mental health reasons, but you can't escape the alumni newsletter I guess.

Lmao this got me too

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
No matter how many times I hit report spam on emails from Melbourne uni they just keep coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:five: