Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Liberal Party prepping the ground to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-...00-cfbfb4fdaa2c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Tomberforce posted:

Liberal Party prepping the ground to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-...00-cfbfb4fdaa2c

I have not watched A Current Affair in such a very, very long amount of time and I'm quite surprised to see how much older Tracy Grimshaw was, I didn't realise she was 60. Excuse me while I have an "everyone got old" moment...

I also know how to pronounce 'Berejiklian' now too, and that's about where I stopped watching.

Edit: After a quick read-through, I've forgotten how to pronounce it already...

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Tomberforce posted:

Fuuuuuuck this bullshit! Get the country behind the goal of elimination and we could loving do it. Pathetic defeatism. New Zealand is apparently the exception that proves the rule. gently caress this bullshit.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Chadzok posted:

Fuuuuuuck this bullshit! Get the country behind the goal of elimination and we could loving do it. Pathetic defeatism. New Zealand is apparently the exception that proves the rule. gently caress this bullshit.

I've seen like, one article about Vietnam who also have done this (or extremely close to it) while also having a land border with China.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Ms Berejiklian said the number of new coronavirus in cases in Melbourne had not slowed despite the city reentering Stage Three restrictions on July 9.

:psypop:

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I think they're calculating that they now have the ammo to be able to blame the inevitable loss of control and mass spread and deaths on Labah. They can still absolutely eliminate from this point but they're going to choose to go with their doners instead.
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...of-large-venues

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Tomberforce posted:

I think they're calculating that they now have the ammo to be able to blame the inevitable loss of control and mass spread and deaths on Labah. They can still absolutely eliminate from this point but they're going to choose to go with their doners instead.
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...of-large-venues

Did the states forget that this has the potential to destroy their health systems?

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003
She clearly doesnt comprehend how lockdowns work, lag effects etc. She also claims New Zealand doesnt have to quarantine returning citizens like NSW? There are thousands coming in to NZ every week and are being well managed despite initial struggles. So a completely uninformed premier is basically saying shes going to let the virus rip through NSW, which will no doubt spread it to QLD, WA etc soon enough. Madness.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Kt88 posted:

She clearly doesnt comprehend how lockdowns work, lag effects etc.

Oh, she understands it perfectly well. She just relies on other people not understanding so she can score some political/economic points.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Lid posted:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/abysmal-arrogance-and-privilege-balmain-lawyer-ordered-to-pay-neighbour-300-000-20200706-p559d2.html

The gentrified suburb of Balmain boasts water views and "elites" in "elite homes", a Sydney judge has said, but it is also home to a bitter neighbourhood feud that has cost one woman more than $300,000 in damages and a judicial dressing-down.

In an excoriating judgment on Monday, NSW Supreme Court Justice Stephen Rothman said lawyer Vanessa Hutley of Balmain had bullied her neighbour, builder Anthony Cosco, and defamed him in an A Current Affair broadcast in which she accused him of putting "my family through hell".

laffo

Sums it up to a T. Balmain’s full of people who love the cultcha and going for a beer at the Unity Hall Hotel but act as if Castle Doctrine applies to their house. The community extends as far as darling street and the ferry wharfs, no further.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

trunkh posted:

Did the states forget that this has the potential to destroy their health systems?

Liberals would love to see their health systems destroyed :ssh:

Then they can be replaced by "more efficient private systems"

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Tomberforce posted:

"we can't shut down every time we have a cluster"

well, you can, and you should, and that's what the experts recommend, and it's also what worked the first time.

I'm guessing she's picturing a massive backlash for closing the pubs again with the one two punch of "the pubs are closed again" and "we hosed up and opened it too early".

I can't see a realistic future in which pubs stay open unless we want to turn into the US to be honest, knowing what we know about how the virus spreads, how far it travels, and how long it lasts inside...

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Kt88 posted:

She clearly doesnt comprehend how lockdowns work, lag effects etc. She also claims New Zealand doesnt have to quarantine returning citizens like NSW? There are thousands coming in to NZ every week and are being well managed despite initial struggles. So a completely uninformed premier is basically saying shes going to let the virus rip through NSW, which will no doubt spread it to QLD, WA etc soon enough. Madness.

There is no way QLD and WA are opening their borders at this rate. SA just yesterday opted to keep theirs closed to NSW as well as Vic for the time being.

Berejiklian's insistence that elimination isn't possible because of NSW's population is nonsense. They basically had stopped community transmission until the Vic outbreak popped up at the Crossroads. Vic had, too, until the quarantine bungle. It's also a decision that I simply do not understand on either a cynical political level (you could blame this on Andrews) or a blood god capitalism level (yo-yo reopenings will be worse for the economy in the long run).

Anecdotally, aiming for elimination also appears to be a hugely popular strategy based on the social media sentiment and newspaper reader polling I've seen. People aren't stupid, they can see their friends and family going back to normal life in Queensland and WA on Instagram and Facebook. People want that back, and they'll cop a hard lockdown if that's what it takes to accomplish it. Nobody wants to be loving around wearing masks in public and only going to the pub a few people at a time for the next few years. Is this purely about not wanting to back down?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the sweet bro and hella jeff stairs comic but it's like "i warned you about reopening too soon. i told you dog"

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003

freebooter posted:

Is this purely about not wanting to back down?

Slightly :tinfoil: but my guess is that short term, structural economic interests are heavily competing with health responses that would ultimately be more beneficial in the long term, even economically. Elimination as a by-product of suppression was fine because business elites wouldn't be impacted, government wouldn't have to spend more on supports etc.

Israel's current situation should act as a warning for Australia and the negligence that is possible, even after an initially strong health-centered response. They refused to lockdown further or go for elimination even after getting cases down to single digits. They are now at 1000-1500 cases per day and public fear and outrage is basically forcing the government into a reactive lockdown regardless.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

freebooter posted:

Vic had, too, until the quarantine bungle.

The quarantine bungle was almost guaranteed to happen eventually.

Literally within 24 hours of the Vic hotel quarantine program being established, one of the departments managing it was requesting for police to be present to help manage it.

quote:

The first email raising concerns was sent by a senior bureaucrat at the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions within 24 hours of the March 28 launch of the program.

It was addressed to several senior officials at the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), which was the leading agency for the day-to-day management of hotel quarantine, according to an Emergency Management Victoria operational document seen by The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald.

"We request that Victoria Police is present 24/7 at each hotel starting from this evening. We ask that DHHS urgently make that request as the control agency," the email read.

DHHS was asked to address issues on the supply and distribution of masks and gloves, and to clarify policies on whether detainees could leave their rooms or order UberEats takeaway food.

The email was also sent to Emergency Management Victoria, which was jointly responsible for the hotel scheme alongside DHHS.

quote:

After an incident in which a traveller left his room to smoke at 3am, the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions official sent a second email on March 30 demanding that DHHS request police support, suggesting private security companies were "not adequate" to guard the hotels.

The email recommended DHHS ban quarantined travellers from leaving their rooms for any reason, including exercise.

A top official from Emergency Management Victoria responded to the request by saying police were not required because guards could call triple zero if a situation warranted police involvement.

Someone's head is going to roll from this and that DJPR senior official needs to be promoted, unless that was already the head of the department or something.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Berejiklian, unsatisfied that her leadership has lead NSW to zero growth before Covid, tallied up record debt and is effectively annihilating natural habitats for shits n giigles is now on track to destroying the state for good by defying the oppressive forces calling for infinite lockdown (literally no one) by saying "gently caress it, let it ride" and insisting the people deal with it.

How amazing that even when she is looking the state dead in the eye, answer a straw man argument about lockdown and still tell the people to "eat poo poo and die". She can frame her destructive leadership as fighting back against hardship and make herself look like the underdog whilst be the definition of horrid leadership.

Remarkable talent.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

freebooter posted:

Is this purely about not wanting to back down?

Nope, it's pure short-sighted economic interest. The discourse from politicians around this has been almost 100% about the economy rather than human life.

The short-sighted part comes in because they think lockdowns will crash the economy, rather than state and federal supported lockdowns allowing the economy to recover better when this is all over. The economy is going to be a lot worse off if we continue to not lockdown and the death rates raise.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
everyone likes to complain about newscorp but then someone gets a job with newscorp and everyone congratulates them for it, rather than, you know, have any moral standards and say something.

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

There is no way QLD and WA are opening their borders at this rate. SA just yesterday opted to keep theirs closed to NSW as well as Vic for the time being.

What happened to that High Court case from Clive Palmer about the border closures being illegal?

If he is successful I can't imagine he'll be very popular( in WA at least, no idea about QLD), and im sure if forced to open the border McGowan will be clear that its Clive Palmer and Scotty's fault because the feds backed his court case.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Now Morrison is backing her and saying that lockdown is "unsustainable" (it doesn't have to be sustained - you only have to do it until cases go down to zero!) and that elimination is impossible because Australia will always have freight etc and so some contact with the outside world. Yet NZ and Taiwan seem to be managing just fine.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

_Gumby posted:

What happened to that High Court case from Clive Palmer about the border closures being illegal?

If he is successful I can't imagine he'll be very popular( in WA at least, no idea about QLD), and im sure if forced to open the border McGowan will be clear that its Clive Palmer and Scotty's fault because the feds backed his court case.

I can 100% imagine WA just refusing to enforce any ruling to stop it. What would happen, who would force them into it? Clive? ADF?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
when school holidays are over

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This I think is the closest we'll get to an admission we're pursuing elimination by default and the government just doesn't want to publicly over-promise and under-deliver:

quote:

Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt says Australia will not outrightly pursue an elimination strategy, but will continue to strive towards zero COVID-19 cases.

"The Australian goal is very clear, we've been trying to drive towards zero cases," Mr Hunt said.

"In Victoria we had zero cases until the hotel quarantine breach one day in early June. We were at very low numbers - often below 10, often single digits - so we made that progress.

"Six out of eight states currently have close to zero cases, if not continuously zero. And the seventh, NSW, until this latest outbreak has had very close to zero cases.

"So we've actually achieved extremely close to [elimination].

"The other part is very much a construct, because it's not actually about whether we would aim to get to zero cases, or as close to that as possible, it's about whether we're making promises that can't be kept in a world where you need have access to trade, to medical supplies coming in, humanitarian arrivals [and] family reunions - all of these critical things.

"We've been very careful not to make false promises.

"This disease will be with the world for a long time and whilst this is the case, there's always a risk."

Which makes me feel better, at least, that there isn't some behind-the-scenes plan going on to get international tourism or international students back in sooner rather than later.

The problem will be if we reopen prematurely again before getting back to zero, and I have to hope that Andrews will be spooked enough by what happened with this outbreak to proceed with an abundance of caution.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
uh oh

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I think Chris is trying to get in the Intellectual Dark Web circle or something

https://twitter.com/CUhlmann/status/1283195049711263744

Or he more likely is just jumping up and down and pointing at someone else pitching a fit about getting told to shut the gently caress up on twitter for writing pure garbage, because it makes him feel validated

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 15, 2020

Kt88
Aug 15, 2003
Here's the Greg Hunt interview. Spewing the disingenuous talking point that elimination requires trade supply lines to stop and families being banned from seeing each other. Unbelievably, the interviewer has no idea how to respond.

https://twitter.com/BreakfastNews/status/1283155126224474113

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Kt88 posted:

Unbelievably, the interviewer has no idea how to respond.

I find this completely believable.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The assertion that having to maintain trade and some limited form of movement of people means we can never guarantee elimination means the virus will stay eliminated is entirely reasonable. But the idea that it's not worth aiming for, for however long it lasts, is silly. Container vessels are sailing in and out of Fremantle every day and cargo planes are flying in and out of Perth Airport every day, but my family is still on Facebook happily hanging out with each other and going to the footy and the pubs.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Its going to be sooner rather than later when the US will be forcing everyone to open borders to us citizens even with covid 19 rampaging through them, cause statistically there is 0 cases reported. Those who don't know trumps team has ordered hospitals to only send covid case numbers to them

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

freebooter posted:

The assertion that having to maintain trade and some limited form of movement of people means we can never guarantee elimination means the virus will stay eliminated is entirely reasonable. But the idea that it's not worth aiming for, for however long it lasts, is silly. Container vessels are sailing in and out of Fremantle every day and cargo planes are flying in and out of Perth Airport every day, but my family is still on Facebook happily hanging out with each other and going to the footy and the pubs.

The Prime Minister is hanging out at the footy.

Stevefin posted:

Its going to be sooner rather than later when the US will be forcing everyone to open borders to us citizens even with covid 19 rampaging through them, cause statistically there is 0 cases reported. Those who don't know trumps team has ordered hospitals to only send covid case numbers to them

Probably, yeah.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Stevefin posted:

the US will be forcing everyone to open borders to us citizens

lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/BradThompson83/status/1283305919158210560

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Noice.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

high news

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
He doesn't look like a bugle man, but good on him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apparently some Victorians tried to stow away on a freight train to sa??

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently some Victorians tried to stow away on a freight train to sa??

Sounds like they were men of constant sorrow

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Cartoon posted:

found in children's rectal swaps

We just had upper deck cards or pogs. Kids these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

There really isn't a gently caress you big enough.

EDIT: For Gillard that is.

hooman fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 15, 2020