Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Before Times posted:

I just found out that the tenants literally aren't allowed to give notice of intention to vacate under the changes to the Residential Tenancies Act (unless they can demonstrate severe hardship to VCAT or it's a family violence situation).

Unless I can get the landlord to consent to us vacating, we can't move to a place $600/month cheaper that we have been approved for.

e: I've emailed the real estate asking them to seek consent for us to move out. but I don't hold out any hope that we will get it.

WTF, that can't be right can it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Centrists loving suck.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Senor Tron posted:

WTF, that can't be right can it?

Under the new Omnibus act:

https://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/as-made/acts/covid-19-omnibus-emergency-measures-act-2020

quote:

S. 545 When a tenant can give notice of intention to vacate—tenancy agreements

(1) A tenant must not give a landlord a notice of intention to vacate rented premises under Subdivision 3 of Division 1 of Part 6 unless—

(a) the tenant requires special or personal care and needs to vacate the rented premises in order to obtain that care; or

(b) the tenant has received a written offer of public housing from the Director of Housing; or

(c) the tenant requires temporary crisis accommodation and needs to vacate the rented premises in order to obtain that accommodation; or

(d) the tenant, who is an SDA resident, has been given a notice under section 498DA; or

(e) tenant is suffering severe hardship.

so yeah it's literally in the RTA amendments

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Whitlam posted:

I don't have a source I can share, but I've explicitly asked about this and been told it's not true, and that the ability of tenants to provide 28 days' notice of termination on a month-to-month lease will remain when the new COVID regulations are in place.
The Before Times is just about to post the bill that was passed a few days ago that explicitly details that tenants on month to month leases CANNOT give notice unless they meet one of five criteria.

EDIT: Curse you.

Also I've seen some speculation around that the new laws are entirely be design and are to keep tenants on month to month leases from leaving and getting in on new leases that will be at a lower rent. Gotta love those REIV donations.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 30, 2020

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
They are working on regulations to clarify, but I wanted to give notice today to my landlord so I could move in early June, and I doubt the regulations will be done soon enough to let me do that.

I don't understand how they could do that by mistake, like "whoops my hand slipped and I accidentally expressly forbade tenants from providing notice of intention to vacate"

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

CrazyTolradi posted:

The Before Times is just about to post the bill that was passed a few days ago that explicitly details that tenants on month to month leases CANNOT give notice unless they meet one of five criteria.

EDIT: Curse you.

Also I've seen some speculation around that the new laws are entirely be design and are to keep tenants on month to month leases from leaving and getting in on new leases that will be at a lower rent. Gotta love those REIV donations.

I know, and I've had the same questions, but I've explicitly asked and been told renters' rights will be preserved when the regulations come into effect. I mean I guess watch this space and we'll know for sure in less than a week, my info could be faulty, but so far I'm inclined to assume the Andrews Government isn't gonna use the Omnibus Bill to secretly try and gently caress renters.

E:

The Before Times posted:

They are working on regulations to clarify, but I wanted to give notice today to my landlord so I could move in early June, and I doubt the regulations will be done soon enough to let me do that.

I don't understand how they could do that by mistake, like "whoops my hand slipped and I accidentally expressly forbade tenants from providing notice of intention to vacate"

Yeah that sucks. And as to how it could happen, MPs aren't the ones who draft the Bills themselves, and the people who do are humans. That's not to say this is or isn't intentional, but even the people who write laws are human and make mistakes. For a while it was technically illegal in Australia to rip music you'd legally bought to a CD or MP3 player. So, yeah, it happens.

Whitlam fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 30, 2020

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I assume it is to support so the landowners can't go shopping for higher (or just paying tenants) and tenants can't enable that by going shopping for lower rent.

I I understand correctly, basically the legislation is trying to price control current prices unless you can't pay in which case you don't have to pay.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

it's just really hard to see that, as it is written and was passed, this was mistake. If it was one subsection, sure, but it's explicitly in five subsections and they consulted the REIV on the changes, but TUV and Liberty Victoria somehow weren't.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I assume it is to support so the landowners can't go shopping for higher (or just paying tenants) and tenants can't enable that by going shopping for lower rent.

I I understand correctly, basically the legislation is trying to price control current prices unless you can't pay in which case you don't have to pay.
It's more likely basically this, because the REIV will be representing their interests and essentially saying, "Our money machine doesn't make as much as it was, please help!!!!!! We'll donate!". The rental market was already inflated before this, the Vic ALP probably don't want to see the bottom dropping out and it being a race to the bottom for rent rates.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 30, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zenithe posted:

Not that, this:

Good thing he lives in the iron jaws of Victoria and not a less measured state

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Whitlam posted:

Yeah that sucks. And as to how it could happen, MPs aren't the ones who draft the Bills themselves, and the people who do are humans. That's not to say this is or isn't intentional, but even the people who write laws are human and make mistakes. For a while it was technically illegal in Australia to rip music you'd legally bought to a CD or MP3 player. So, yeah, it happens.

I know enough about cabinet processes to know that the MPs are not the ones drafting the bills (and I didn't suggest that). But the provision was obviously written with some sort of policy intent in mind.

They could have easily omitted that provision and current tenants would be no worse off. If the mistake was that month-to-month tenants were included in the catch-all and that wasn't the policy intent, I'd love to see evidence (like some sort of public statement) of that being the case. Not just a "we're changing it to clarify".

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I assume next time that rental prices are rising quickly there will be some kind of price controls in place for tenants right.

Right?

Oh, right.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

If you're on month to month just give notice and then cut off payment, that's the point of a month to month lease and no law saying you are stuck in the lease which you entered as month to month forever unless "xyz" has much chance of surviving challenge.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Flannelette posted:

If you're on month to month just give notice and then cut off payment, that's the point of a month to month lease and no law saying you are stuck in the lease which you entered as month to month forever unless "xyz" has much chance of surviving challenge.

The problem is, under the law the notice simply doesn't count as notice. If you stop paying rent for any reason other than financial hardship due to covid-19 you can still be put on the tenant blacklist.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-30/coronavirus-calls-for-private-health-sector-to-hand-back-profits/12197990

quote:

A former private health insurance regulator is calling on federal authorities to ensure private health insurers return windfall profits made during the coronavirus crisis to their members.

NIB managing director Mark Fitzgibbon admitted insurers would have extra funds for now, but said insurers did not yet know exactly how much and therefore talk of rebates was "premature".
"We won't really be in a position to calculate the extent of the savings, although we expect them, until a few months away," he said.
"Once the dust has settled and the savings associated with COVID-19 are clearer, only then can we make those final judgments.
"It would be irresponsible and prudentially unsound for us to start compensating people with cash rebates, or any other form of financial remedy, until we are clearer about the financial impact on the business."
We'll continue accepting your money for the present, thankyou

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

The Before Times posted:

The problem is, under the law the notice simply doesn't count as notice. If you stop paying rent for any reason other than financial hardship due to covid-19 you can still be put on the tenant blacklist.

Hang on so if I were in Victoria and my situation changed (e.g. got a great new job 5 hours away meaning I have to move, or I suddenly had to take custody of my nephew and needed to find a bigger place, or I normally live overseas/in a regional area and are heading home in a month's time), I wouldn't be able to give notice to vacate? Coz that's what it sounds like and it's hosed.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Whitlam posted:

I know, and I've had the same questions, but I've explicitly asked and been told renters' rights will be preserved when the regulations come into effect. I mean I guess watch this space and we'll know for sure in less than a week, my info could be faulty, but so far I'm inclined to assume the Andrews Government isn't gonna use the Omnibus Bill to secretly try and gently caress renters.

E:

you are right vcat would side with the tenant, however that wont stop landlords saying no, refusing to release bonds, being further shits in general knowing that the vcat tenancies listings are massively backlogged.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

froglet posted:

Hang on so if I were in Victoria and my situation changed (e.g. got a great new job 5 hours away meaning I have to move, or I suddenly had to take custody of my nephew and needed to find a bigger place, or I normally live overseas/in a regional area and are heading home in a month's time), I wouldn't be able to give notice to vacate? Coz that's what it sounds like and it's hosed.

Don't know but I assume (assume makes an rear end of u and me) that if you can demonstrate that maintaining your current residence would enforce hardship (not just monetarily but due to new job would mean five hour commute), then you would be able to give notice.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

froglet posted:

In regards to having a new job, you could argue that'd place you under severe hardship (more so if you've given notice to your current employer). But the general feeling is that it's to stop month to month renters leaving and going for new leases as rental prices are dropping. Technically, the laws don't leave tenants worse off, but they don't allow tenants to better their situations by moving to a better suited tenancy.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Gotta love the ALP. Sees 450,000 people apply for Jobseeker and immediately jumps on alienating them as voters.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Endman posted:

Gotta love the ALP. Sees 450,000 people apply for Jobseeker and immediately jumps on alienating them as voters.

You have to assume that question was asked because of the position it puts labor in. It would be madness for Labor to promise to maintain the elevated rates but to say anything else means "alienating labor voters".

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

You have to assume that question was asked because of the position it puts labor in. It would be madness for Labor to promise to maintain the elevated rates but to say anything else means "alienating labor voters".

They could easily have said "we think it there should be a permanent increase from pre-corona levels" and not hosed themselves

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Have they hosed themselves by saying something years before an election only auspol can read these dessicated tea leaves

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

It would be madness for Labor to promise to maintain the elevated rates

Why?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

it might win them an election

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
i cant decide if i dont blame labor for not wanting to risk another policy platform debacle, or if i blame them for being so loving incompetent and garbage that they lost to scott morrison 2019

when is it going to die and be replaced already?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

CrazyTolradi posted:

Technically, the laws don't leave tenants worse off, but they don't allow tenants to better their situations by moving to a better suited tenancy.

I'd say removing flexibility in their expressly flexible arrangement is worse off.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

What is dead may never die

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoldStandardConure posted:

it might win them an election

I don't think so. We are going to be paying a lot of tax no matter who wins though.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

There is no need to provide a sound bite promise which will be played at the next election if for whatever circumstances dictate the elevated rate is not possible. There is a real possibility that the economy will tank sufficiently between now and the next election such that unemployment will be well into double figures, government debt pushing a trillion dollars and real / minimum wages significantly reduced.

If that was the case, labor promising the current rates for unemployed would represent double digit percentage of the GDP given out every six months as cash with not the produce to absorb it all.

Of course, Australia could bounce back so much that an increase could be on the cards which is what they left open in the answer.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

the alp is going for the steven bradbury play

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Hansard even has them saying that the intent is to limit terminating agreements to exceptional circumstances:

quote:

This bill amends:
- residential tenancy laws to only allow the termination of a tenancy in exceptional circumstances and introduce a streamlined dispute resolution process.

It cuts both ways, they have to have known that it does. I'm willing to believe one or two people in the chain of approvals missed it, but even with the very short turnarounds that are happening on these emergency bills, someone in the dozen or so policy professionals who handled it will have pointed out that it disadvantages tenants on periodic leases. if the politicians ignored that, it's not a mistake.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

JBP posted:

I don't think so. We are going to be paying a lot of tax no matter who wins though.

why don't we just make corporations and the wealthy pay a proportionate share? why do people hear "any increase to welfare or living conditions will be paid by the lower-middle class" and think that the problem is with the welfare, rather than the relative tax burden?

anyway i'm looking at a general breakdown of the 2019 federal budget and "assistance to the unemployed and the sick" is 10.8 out of 500.87 billion (for reference, Assistance to the aged is at 70.2b)

seems like letting businesses get away with just paying enough to cover people's immediate living expenses assuming nothing goes wrong wasn't a very socially responsible policy

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Making corporations pay their taxes is probably popular with the public but it is extremely not popular with either political party.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Before Times posted:

Hansard even has them saying that the intent is to limit terminating agreements to exceptional circumstances:

It cuts both ways, they have to have known that it does. I'm willing to believe one or two people in the chain of approvals missed it, but even with the very short turnarounds that are happening on these emergency bills, someone in the dozen or so policy professionals who handled it will have pointed out that it disadvantages tenants on periodic leases. if the politicians ignored that, it's not a mistake.

But if you're on a monthly lease, how can the landlord keep you longer than just that month?

End of month, lease is up, :byewhore:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If they can double the payment now then they can do it into the future, the only reason they won’t is because they choose not to, not because we can’t afford it

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

bowmore posted:

If they can double the payment now then they can do it into the future, the only reason they won’t is because they choose not to, not because we can’t afford it

yes

that's always been the case. the temporary increase is an acknowledgement that the previous rate was not enough to expect someone in an adverse job market to live on, but because so many people were unemployed all at once, the Government literally had no choice but to supplement the rate.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But if you're on a monthly lease, how can the landlord keep you longer than just that month?

End of month, lease is up, :byewhore:
It's not monthly, it realistically is more an ongoing lease of the fixed term lease that can be ended with a months notice, hence the term month to month.

However, the tenant cannot give notice of intention to vacate anymore, except under explicit circumstances. Nor can the landlord. At least, until September. It does give existing month to month tenants security, but it also means you can be stuck living with a shoddy landlord who doesn't repair the place.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sulla Faex posted:

why don't we just make corporations and the wealthy pay a proportionate share?

They have weapons and apparatuses with which to fight back.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CrazyTolradi posted:

It's not monthly, it realistically is more an ongoing lease of the fixed term lease that can be ended with a months notice, hence the term month to month.

However, the tenant cannot give notice of intention to vacate anymore, except under explicit circumstances. Nor can the landlord. At least, until September. It does give existing month to month tenants security, but it also means you can be stuck living with a shoddy landlord who doesn't repair the place.

So, it turns monthly leases into a six month unbreakable* lease?

* severe hardship, notwithstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

The Before Times posted:

yes

that's always been the case. the temporary increase is an acknowledgement that the previous rate was not enough to expect someone in an adverse job market to live on, but because so many people were unemployed all at once, the Government literally had no choice but to supplement the rate.

The government debt is increasing in line with the payments. The reason to do it now is not acknowledgment that the previous rate was not enough (as strong an argument as that is) but as a way to dump a heap of deficit spending into the economy - ala ruddbucks turbocharged.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, it turns monthly leases into a six month unbreakable* lease?

* severe hardship, notwithstanding.

Exactly. Whether you can't pay or you want to pay less (by moving), you don't move.