Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Cloudpunk is a video game where you pilot your hovercar in a beautifully-realized voxel cyberpunk city. You pick up packages and deliver them to their destination. That's it, that's basically the gameplay.

Of course, there's also more to it than that. The company you're delivering for is doing some decidedly less that legal things, and you seem to be able to have somewhat of a choice in how much you get caught up in all of it. You can leave your hovercar to walk around in the city and actually pick up and deliver the packages. There's also a bunch of NPC's you can talk to to discover the plot, collectibles to find to pimp your ride, and a main plot that seems interesting but I can't really comment on it yet because I'm only 2 hours in.

https://imgur.com/Im85k52.gifv
(how do I embed gifv's? if i use image tags it comes up blank)

The gameplay is pretty repetitive and the voice acting very lackluster, but I really find myself drawn to this game and I'm probably going to complete it in one go after completing this topic. The devs really nailed the cyberpunk feel and tone, the artstyle is perfect, the music is some delicious retro synthwave and the whole thing is just so dawn atmospheric. The city of Nivalis is a lot bigger and more explorable than you'd expect at first as well!

https://imgur.com/N6EMho5.gifv

Overall, I'm already happy with the 18 bucks I spent on this so far (it's 10% off its $20 pricetag atm) and I'm really intrigued to see where it'll go.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/746850/Cloudpunk/

cgfreak fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

cgfreak posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Im85k52.mp4
(how do I embed gifv's? if i use image tags it comes up blank)

i'm fairly sure you have link it as a mp4 instead. Anyway, this is pretty good looking and i've been looking for a nice chill out game so might check it out. never really could get into ETS (the map was just plain wrong in some subtle and less subtle ways which really took me out of the game) but this might scratch that itch

oscarthewilde fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 29, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ionlands/status/1259124252550324225

They are updating the camera controls, so you can finally see things up close.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
https://twitter.com/ionlands/status/1377237239042834432

A few weeks ago ION Lands announced a sequel-sized DLC with a new playable character!

Their description states that it will rival the base game in content: they mention new areas, a fully voiced new story and multiple endings, which take the player's actions from both the base game and the DLC into account. The voice acting in the trailer sounds far less robotic, which can only be a good thing. Looks like it could really tie the game together into a more compelling package than the base game. Very exciting!

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Been eyeing this game since its release and just picked it up bc of the summer sale and I am absolutely in love with it. It's better than I expected. The city is so pretty and THAT MUSIC. So good.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I just beat Sekiro NG+ and I needed something chill right to offset that, and Cloudpunk fit the bill perfectly.

Gameplay-wise there's almost nothing to it. I've put about 4 hours in and there's no racing or skill challenges or really any opportunities to fail at all. Beyond a few quest-conclusion choices, there isn't too much the game asks of players, but it's very much a ~vibe~ game and I'm enjoying the hell out of just zooming around the city in my HOVA. I found the voice acting to be pretty drat good, inoffensive at worst, and carefully designed to fill most of the dead time as you're zipping around the city, so it never feels boring. It's a slow-drip narrative experience, and I dig it.

I think the aspect that sold me on it the most was just chilling with my former dog, now AI buddy in the car, and the cockpit / dashboard view drive mode is wonderful. (Press X while in dashboard mode to unlock free-look, it's basically mandatory) I'm playing through pretty much the entire game in first person now.

The only thing that bugs me, and it's a minor complaint, is that the rain effect is tethered to the player's view, so it rotates with your POV, and the drip/splash effects apply pretty much everything, even under cover.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

McKilligan posted:

I think the aspect that sold me on it the most was just chilling with my former dog, now AI buddy in the car, and the cockpit / dashboard view drive mode is wonderful. (Press X while in dashboard mode to unlock free-look, it's basically mandatory) I'm playing through pretty much the entire game in first person now.
Camus was a pretty good Paul F Thompkins /Mr Peanutbutter impression, I was surprised to find out it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jara
Apr 21, 2021
It's been awhile since I intentionally made a "bad" choice in a first playthrough. I totally delivered the bomb. Gotta get that paycheck, yo