Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This thread brought to you by my recent playthrough of Red Dead Redemption 1.

Good western film:

Dollars trilogy, Blazing Saddles, I actually really like Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight

Good western games: Red Dead Redemption 1 + 2, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

If you haven't played it, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is well worth your time. Really arcadey action, a fun story that takes full advantage of being a video game to get meta, and really cool visuals

Please play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Red River is extremely good, has the senile old waiter from "Twin Peaks" in it, and the Criterion comes with the book it's based on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I used to listen to Gunsmoke followed by X Minus One on the radio every sunday which is a great western + sci-fi mashup. That concept is probably why stuff like Bravestarr and Oblivion and the other not very good blends of the concept are things I love way more than the quality of the material calls for.

As I mentioned in the music thread the song Dawson's Christian from the album "Carmen Miranda's Ghost" is like a lost track from a sci-fi version of Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs.

If you want an excellent western+sci-fi short story I cannot recommend "A dry, quiet war" enough.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Magnificent Seven (the 1960 original, not the recent Chris Pratt one, obviously) are my two favorite westerns. I feel like they both strike a perfect tone where they can be lighthearted and funny without being too silly, but also have their darker and more serious moments without being too grim, and they balance the two so it doesn’t feel tonally inconsistent. They’d be my first recommendations for anyone interested in western movies.

It’s been years and years since I saw the Dollars Trilogy but my memory is that the second one, For A Few Dollars More, was my favorite. But I think it’s time for a rewatch soon

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone who likes westerns should also check out old samurai movies, which a lot of Westerns were based on. A Fistful of Dollars was a straight-up ripoff of Yojimbo, down to whole scenes and lines of dialogue being lifted (iirc they ended up going to court and Fistful’s production company now has to pay royalties to Yojimbo’s in perpetuity) and while AFoD is really good I vastly prefer the original. The Magnificent Seven is an official remake of Seven Samurai and I don’t know if I can pick a favorite between the two, they’re both great for different reasons.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Magnificent Seven is one of the best adaptations of a property Ive ever seen, its wonderful.

If you want to get wild with your westerns please watch El Topo. You will not see another western like this and the imagery of this film will linger with you. It tells the totally normal story of a man walking through a seemingly endless desert abandoning his child so he can murder four semi-mythical gunfighter gods in order to please a woman. We've all been there.

What makes it truly wild beyond just having him lose to a man wielding a butterfly net is the entire arc I just summarized concludes only halfway into this film. Yeah theres a whole second, different, spiritual journey second half which ultimately culminates with a man spontaneously turning into honey.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piNHP7gXbgg

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I like Unforgiven.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you want to watch one of the absolute bleakest films ever made, might I recommend The Great Silence. This film is right up there with Come and See of being one of the few movies I believe honestly critique the thing they portray, but unfortunately for you the viewer they do it by being unrelentingly emotional gut punch after gut punch. There is no relief or nobility here, and you will never see another western, or really any film, this utterly devoid of pity to its protagonists and the viewers hopes.

dudeness posted:

I like Unforgiven.

Its a good movie, even if it is often viewed (probably rightly) as the final nail in the western myth films.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Once Upon a Time in the West.

Possibly THE best western? Certainly one of my favourites.

The Director's Cut, obviously.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Savagery to post that without the ending song https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qwb3P0fuM1c

I love Once Upon a Time in the West. Its an intensely slow burn, with the opening gunfight being built up for what feels like several years before you ever see the protagonist, but in a sense the entire film is a slow burn building to the scene linked above making it one of the most intense final gun duels in film even if its not particularly acrobatic. Yes the Good the Bad and the Ugly has a great final duel that is creative and character based but this is just a whole nother level. Im not a huge fan of the "dying person does totally normal things before dropping dead" the ending does with a side character but whatever, that ending dude.

I actually watched this film because of the soundtrack which I heard first was so good I was like, fine, what movie does this go to???

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzEEfDRXQjU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I watched patches of Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid and was really intruiged by it. Lots of good 60s/70s new wave editing theory, the film is brutal without being cold, and bob dylan plays a character and writes all the music. I want to give it a more in depth watch so I'll say better later.

I'd also like to nominate Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as a really, really great western. Late era west.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nVMPc5VrDg

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I'm not sure the mainline content is but the mandalorian is definitely a western.

As for straight up westerns I gotta say my all time favorite is The Hateful Eight. Also Blazing Saddles... if parody counts. But goddamnit Mel Brooks parody should count.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

space western was a charlton comic that ran for, i think, five issues. the conventional wisdom of the day was that newsagents were more likely to order and display established magazines than unproven new offerings; so it was not uncommon in the comics industry to just slowly retitle an existing publication (eg, WEIRD BULLSHIT becomes WEIRD BULLSHIT FEATURING CAPTAIN GRUNK, then a logo redesign makes the character name more prominent, and later down the line the title becomes THE PREPOSTEROUS CAPTAIN GRUNK) or to wholesale change character and genre in an existing title until something hit.

charlton was so, so much more egregious about this than most other publishers, and would sometimes change everything about a comic except the numbering, to try to swindle sellers into ordering a brand-new title as if it were an established mag that had been selling sustainably for years

all of this is to explain why the five issues of SPACE WESTERN are #40-44

fun extra charlton factaroonie: their printing quality was hot garbage because they did everything as cheaply as possible, incl allegedly buying used equipment for printing the outside of cereal boxes, instead of the proper presses for doing four-color magazines

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

There's a whole genre of "Osterns" - Westerns made by Eastern Europeans during the Cold War about how the much the cowboys suck. I haven't seen any but if somebody knows which ones are on the better end I'll get started.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Anyone who likes westerns should also check out old samurai movies, which a lot of Westerns were based on.

Sword of Doom rules and has one of my favorite endings to any movie.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Tulip posted:

Sword of Doom rules and has one of my favorite endings to any movie.

I just saw that one for the first time a few weeks ago and it instantly became one of my favorite movies. The ambush in the forest and Mifune’s big action scene in the snow were so good I rewound them both like 3 times before going on with the rest of the movie

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I just saw that one for the first time a few weeks ago and it instantly became one of my favorite movies. The ambush in the forest and Mifune’s big action scene in the snow were so good I rewound them both like 3 times before going on with the rest of the movie

https://twitter.com/southafao/status/1233810453828161537?s=21

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I think the Quick and the Dead gets hate it doesn’t deserve and is a fine take on westerns given it was filmed in the 90s.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

dialhforhero posted:

I think the Quick and the Dead gets hate it doesn’t deserve and is a fine take on westerns given it was filmed in the 90s.

When you think of it as a Sam Raimi film in the context of other Raimi films everything about it and what it's trying to be clicks perfectly.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I wish we got the timeline where Toshiro Mifune played Obi-Wan in Episode 4

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Roth posted:

I wish we got the timeline where Toshiro Mifune played Obi-Wan in Episode 4

he turned down both obiwan and darth vader as roles. fuckin legend

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Barudak posted:

Savagery to post that without the ending song https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qwb3P0fuM1c

I love Once Upon a Time in the West. Its an intensely slow burn, with the opening gunfight being built up for what feels like several years before you ever see the protagonist, but in a sense the entire film is a slow burn building to the scene linked above making it one of the most intense final gun duels in film even if its not particularly acrobatic. Yes the Good the Bad and the Ugly has a great final duel that is creative and character based but this is just a whole nother level. Im not a huge fan of the "dying person does totally normal things before dropping dead" the ending does with a side character but whatever, that ending dude.

I actually watched this film because of the soundtrack which I heard first was so good I was like, fine, what movie does this go to???

lmao, i jumped in to post this exact clip when i saw the thread title.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sunset Riders is an extremely good western videogame and if you dont routinely tell people to bury you with your money you are missing out.

As for media each and every radio episode of gunsmoke is a classic and its surprisingly forward thinking for 1940/1950s america. There are still some questionable bits every once in a while, but its absolutely something you can enjoy anytime.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awxKPdqLHGE

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Great Silence is a western and is one of the single best movies ever made. If you see it I'd recommend watching the Italian dub with English subtitles. The English dub is very accurate but the voices they cast to dub it are a little off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

The Great Silence is a western and is one of the single best movies ever made. If you see it I'd recommend watching the Italian dub with English subtitles. The English dub is very accurate but the voices they cast to dub it are a little off.

I feel like focusing on the western aspect and skipping over the whole "is a crushingly realistic film of pure depression" is a bit of a disservice. Absolutely gorgeous movie though and yeah, the italian dub is better. Plus when you are done you can hunt down the alternate endings.

You like coming of age movies? I got a great one called Come and See

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Barudak posted:

I feel like focusing on the western aspect and skipping over the whole "is a crushingly realistic film of pure depression" is a bit of a disservice. Absolutely gorgeous movie though and yeah, the italian dub is better. Plus when you are done you can hunt down the alternate endings.

It's hard to resist the temptation to go into a huge thing about how awesome it is and spoil everything so I wanted to keep it brief. But yeah, holy poo poo, what a gorgeous looking and sounding movie that's sad as hell.

But it's a weirdly a hopeful and cathartic flick to me too because of how real it is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There's a space western called Galaxina that is insanely loving bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

It's hard to resist the temptation to go into a huge thing about how awesome it is and spoil everything so I wanted to keep it brief. But yeah, holy poo poo, what a gorgeous looking and sounding movie that's sad as hell.

But it's a weirdly a hopeful and cathartic flick to me too because of how real it is.

The thing, of all things in that film, that hit me hardest was the plaque at the end of the film. Its such a cold way of "this is what we do to mourn whole lives lost" and its so little

You know what thread, go watch the Great Silence and make sure you have some time booked out to just kind of lie there when its finished.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Barudak posted:

The thing, of all things in that film, that hit me hardest was the plaque at the end of the film. Its such a cold way of "this is what we do to mourn whole lives lost" and its so little

You know what thread, go watch the Great Silence and make sure you have some time booked out to just kind of lie there when its finished.

One of the realist movies eever made.

On the other end of this, did anyone here mention Outland? It's basically a general remake of High Noon but set on a space station. Sean Connery plays the new sheriff on board. Check it out!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I watched Outland years ago and it felt like it was a script revision or two short of being great. Its been so long but what I recall is its like half western half investigation and the investigation is weak and the style of western it is felt archaic even in 1981.

I think its interesting the revisionist space western never really came into being

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Barudak posted:

I watched Outland years ago and it felt like it was a script revision or two short of being great. Its been so long but what I recall is its like half western half investigation and the investigation is weak and the style of western it is felt archaic even in 1981.

I think its interesting the revisionist space western never really came into being

Yeah it's a flick I like but I know it's pretty bland.

I think the big reason we never got it is because Alien happened There's a ton of movies in its wake that kinda are sorta space western but then go into monster/horror territory. There's plenty of space westerns out there but nothing even close to The Great Silence...In Space.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Barudak posted:

isnt firefly supposed to be one

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

enemy mine is also, in a lotta meaningful ways, a revisionist western

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hostiles is kinda like a western remake of Enemy Mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Squizzle posted:

isnt firefly supposed to be one

This is the part where I admit Ive watched part of one episode of Firefly and it was so bad I couldnt keep watching. It was like a poor man's Outlaw Star and that friends, is someone who needs government assistance.