Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timick
Apr 7, 2016

suffix posted:

c doesn't belong anywhere near a network now and maybe it never did

Which JS framework do you recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

timick posted:

Which JS framework do you recommend?

touched a nerve lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Asleep Style posted:

I never really learned much about BSD so this thread got me to read about it a little bit. Turns out OpenBSD is still using CVS :psyduck:

sounds like they ought to solicit esr for help

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
what's the best guide for reading about OpenBSD kernel stuff? I know that FreeBSD has its own well-regarded book but that obvs doesn't apply here

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

this is as stupid as installing openbsd on a laptop

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Tankakern posted:

this is as stupid as installing openbsd on a laptop

oh cmon, it's slightly less stupid than that

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

suffix posted:

your tcp stack wants a word with you

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Even Microsoft just released a QUIC stack written in C.

Also, good points raised by the nanomsg team in choosing C over C++ after ZeroMQ.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

akadajet posted:

if ya wanna pick tha movie just vote in the poll!

the 'glomp me' stack (gnu / linux openjdk mysql perl make emacs)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i think ill keep using node js so i can get close to the metal, op

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

uncurable mlady posted:

i think ill keep using node js so i can get close to the metal, op

it's brave to admit that you're too much of a scrub to use Meteor

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao if you don't insulate yourself from the hardware with as many layers of enterprise java app platform as possible

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i do appreciate the janky barebones web poo poo though. you can't even set your own drat fonts anymore

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

olives black posted:

what would you have used instead

hammer to my testicles

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

suffix posted:

how exactly do you think your dumbass posts get anywhere at all

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Captain Foo posted:

how exactly do you think your dumbass posts get anywhere at all

networking is c

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
explains why networking never works. they should really get rid of all of that antiquated cruft and replace it with something modern like javascript. I mean, it's not the 1970s anymore

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fritz posted:

the 'glomp me' stack (gnu / linux openjdk mysql perl make emacs)

lol

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
openbsd 6.7 just hit beta :toot:

new stuff:

* ffs2 is now the default
* pinebook pro and raspberri pi 4 can now run this baby
* macppc now uses clang by default so that's cool if you're still using one of those

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

getting anything that isn't a binary blob laden bespoke linux (like raspbian) to run on raspberries pi is generally a pretty solid accomplishment

the reason they're so cheap is because they're garbage hardware left over from other failed products thrown together. the SoC boots up the GPU first and the GPU has to bootstrap the CPU because it wasn't originally a CPU SoC in the first place, or even a GPU SoC. the GPU was originally just a matrix DSP that happened to be able to do some graphics processing if you glared at it right. so in order to get half of the hardware in an rpi running you need a bunch of firmware blobs and proprietary drivers.

running a BCHS stack on a raspberry pi is a dichotomy so wide it'd make the goatman say "ease up on that gape there hoss"

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Ploft-shell crab posted:

your tcp stack wants a word with you

what has it ever brought me besides pain, misery and your posts

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Kazinsal posted:

getting anything that isn't a binary blob laden bespoke linux (like raspbian) to run on raspberries pi is generally a pretty solid accomplishment

the reason they're so cheap is because they're garbage hardware left over from other failed products thrown together. the SoC boots up the GPU first and the GPU has to bootstrap the CPU because it wasn't originally a CPU SoC in the first place, or even a GPU SoC. the GPU was originally just a matrix DSP that happened to be able to do some graphics processing if you glared at it right. so in order to get half of the hardware in an rpi running you need a bunch of firmware blobs and proprietary drivers.

running a BCHS stack on a raspberry pi is a dichotomy so wide it'd make the goatman say "ease up on that gape there hoss"

it's funny since theo poo poo on the idea of even bothering

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
most phones boot the modem first, which bootstraps the CPU.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
has anyone ever run -current? thinking of trying it for funsies

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

good luck finding something theo hasn’t poo poo on

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this os is a pos

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

pram posted:

this os is a pos

what, do you use linux or something? :smug:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PCjr sidecar posted:

theo is so dumb he got openbsd’s funding by the US department of defense pulled because he couldn’t keep his mouth shut.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

The Management posted:

theo is so dumb he got openbsd’s funding by the US department of defense pulled because he couldn’t keep his mouth shut.

it was something along the lines of "at least they aren't using the money they're giving us to build another missile" or something.

i mean, he wasn't wrong

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

olives black posted:

it was something along the lines of "at least they aren't using the money they're giving us to build another missile" or something.

i mean, he wasn't wrong

it doesn’t have to be wrong. literally all he had to do was keep his mouth shut and he could have been doing the exact same thing he always does but funded by the dod. but he couldn’t put his own and others’ self interest above being an rear end in a top hat.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

The Management posted:

it doesn’t have to be wrong. literally all he had to do was keep his mouth shut and he could have been doing the exact same thing he always does but funded by the dod. but he couldn’t put his own and others’ self interest above being an rear end in a top hat.

i think there's something to be said for being a leader who's known for not holding their tongue, even if they wind up stepping in poo poo once in a while. you don't have to guess where they stand on things as much

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

olives black posted:

i think there's something to be said for being a leader who's known for not holding their tongue, even if they wind up stepping in poo poo once in a while. you don't have to guess where they stand on things as much

“abusive leaders are good, actually” is a dated, twenty year old oss take so its perfect for openbsd

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
it's a bummer that the bitrig fork died

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

are any of the bsds even usable/developed anymore? my understanding was that after netflix moved past em it was more or less GNU/Windows or macos for unix variant.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Beamed posted:

are any of the bsds even usable/developed anymore? my understanding was that after netflix moved past em it was more or less GNU/Windows or macos for unix variant.

when did netflix dump freebsd?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

i'll be honest, i was pretty sure i read an article saying they stopped using it as they were growing in the middle of the decade but i can't find the source, and much more recent articles have talked about how they're still using it, so mea culpa.

does that mean freebsd

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Beamed posted:

i'll be honest, i was pretty sure i read an article saying they stopped using it as they were growing in the middle of the decade but i can't find the source, and much more recent articles have talked about how they're still using it, so mea culpa.

does that mean freebsd

p much

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I know of at least one public university that was using openbsd for all of its routing, including bgp, all the way up until last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i'm pretty sure netflix is heavy into linux now, they've done lots of bpf work upstream