Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Mordja posted:

And yet no Total Warhammer, weird.

Just this moment read about a digital/physical release special edition: savage edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I didn't play BFG but those sorts of rules in wargames often suck hard unless you're doing a specific narrative matchup and have a large collection. If you're playing at a game store or tournament where you've got a set list for the day/event, then you necessarily must tailor for all comers and a list that can play radically different from anyone else has an obvious huge advantage. And if you're new or don't have money to drop then those factions can even make pure friendly games suck because you just don't have the models to counter their shenanigans.

They weren't broken like necrons apparently were (except maybe skaven sometimes) but that's basically why playing vs gunlines sucked hard in Fantasy. If you built knowing you were fighting a gunline, you won. If you had an all-comers list, then basically the entire game is decided by how well the gunline player rolls.

Necrons were better on paper however they paid for their better stats and abilities with increased costs and a way harsher victory points table. The problem with them is that many people only played standard search and destroy battles instead of scenarios with victory points and campaigns, where they were far more balanced if I recall correctly.

The point about gunlines in Fantasy was kinda funny, I don't know how they fared in 8th edition, but in 6th and 7th edition, playing a gunline in a tournament was a great way to not win and also making three other people angry at you for messing up their chances. It was very hard to get massacred but it was also very hard to get a decisive win, so instead you got a lot of draws and minor defeats/victories, which was not the point of tournament play.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RickRogers posted:

Just this moment read about a digital/physical release special edition: savage edition

Yeah, I saw that. Kind of weird in that it's just the first game and two of its DLCs when it's been so superseded by TWW2, but I guess stuff like this is just for the collectors.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you built knowing you were fighting a gunline, you won. If you had an all-comers list, then basically the entire game is decided by how well the gunline player rolls.

This is the skew list experience and many of GW's games have been plagued with it.

I'm given to understand static gunlines in particular are why both 40K and AOS largely shifted to objective-based, table-control play.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RickRogers posted:

I'm sure most of us have experienced this before, like when the person introducing me to mtg at a games club just used a pure mill deck in my first game and laughed the whole time because I could do literally nothing to counter. Then the second game they decided to go easy on me and just use their best competitive deck to teach me how to properly loose and not learn anything. Also taught me that he was a dick head and I should just stop playing and enjoy the card art.

When I used to intro people to magic I had five mediocre but decently balanced against each other decks that I'd let people choose from to play against me using one of the remaining four and then show a couple of sideboard cards for their deck afterwards and be like "your deck would be way more awesome if you had this" and the number of people who told me a variation of your story was staggering because they thought I was going to rig the decks and wreck them like the last person who tried to get them into it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mordja posted:

Yeah, I saw that. Kind of weird in that it's just the first game and two of its DLCs when it's been so superseded by TWW2, but I guess stuff like this is just for the collectors.

It's not even the first physical release of TWW in this style, either. It's kinda baffling.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Barudak posted:

When I used to intro people to magic I had five mediocre but decently balanced against each other decks that I'd let people choose from to play against me using one of the remaining four and then show a couple of sideboard cards for their deck afterwards and be like "your deck would be way more awesome if you had this" and the number of people who told me a variation of your story was staggering because they thought I was going to rig the decks and wreck them like the last person who tried to get them into it.

I think drafts are the best way to introduce people to magic. I played a lot in college and never bought a single card. Most of the group I played with were in the same boat. With drafts it goes from a niche nerd game you have to prepare for to a fun card game you can casually play over a couple of hours. Using preset decks has to get really repetitive after a few games too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that and by the time the emperor is taking over Christianity is barely really remembered outside vague stories and some histories. i doubt any of the Abrahamic faiths survived to that point.
IIRC, there have been references to history from our time, down to specific people, even if the precise context and names aren't always all that accurate. For the Abrahamic faiths I'd assume their history would be something like "the rebel Jisa overthrew the Rhomaion Empire using a variety of biological weaponry and crowned himself Baesilus Baesilōn of pre-Atomic Afro-Eurasia in the ancient city of Babylon." Maybe Christianity and Islam would be cast as a schism within a single faith, since it's not unusual for the present to color our interpretations of the past and the Imperium is basically founded on religious schism.

Generally, I do appreciate that the setting's distant past is still the far future for us. At least in that regard the setting doesn't fall victim to the usual "sci-fi/fantasy authors do not understand numbers" issue.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

IIRC, there have been references to history from our time, down to specific people, even if the precise context and names aren't always all that accurate. For the Abrahamic faiths I'd assume their history would be something like "the rebel Jisa overthrew the Rhomaion Empire using a variety of biological weaponry and crowned himself Baesilus Baesilōn of pre-Atomic Afro-Eurasia in the ancient city of Babylon." Maybe Christianity and Islam would be cast as a schism within a single faith, since it's not unusual for the present to color our interpretations of the past and the Imperium is basically founded on religious schism.

Generally, I do appreciate that the setting's distant past is still the far future for us. At least in that regard the setting doesn't fall victim to the usual "sci-fi/fantasy authors do not understand numbers" issue.

yeah. like 40k society is still super advanced compared to us. its just used to be alot more so until everything went to hell because of various reasons. its also as a history nerd. history as a actual acadmic application/science is maybe been a thing since the enlightenment at least in the western concept of academic history/schooling. long before that it was always mixed with myths and legends and allegory. though you have plenty of pretty good histories from the islamic golden age and the various dynasties in china/asia/india. but even now, we only know so much history from certain times/cultures periods/societies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That and pretty much every source of information and technology in the Imperium has explicitly been turbofucked by demons from hell several times over.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Dan Abnett's books make allusions to Christianity; there is a vaguely Catholic religion called Cruxianism that existed around the time the Emperor was starting to do his thing on Terra circa 30k, and a planet called 'Sancour' (Sacré Cœur) that is explicitly described to have been named and settled by 'proto-Cruxians'. So something recognizable as descending from Christianity existed at least as late as the beginning of the Great Crusade.

re. Judaism, the Emperor would have banned any surviving form of Judaism as a religion but wouldn't have cared at all about secular Jewish culture or ethnicity.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. like 40k society is still super advanced compared to us. its just used to be alot more so until everything went to hell because of various reasons. its also as a history nerd. history as a actual acadmic application/science is maybe been a thing since the enlightenment at least in the western concept of academic history/schooling. long before that it was always mixed with myths and legends and allegory. though you have plenty of pretty good histories from the islamic golden age and the various dynasties in china/asia/india. but even now, we only know so much history from certain times/cultures periods/societies.

The Imperial Standard posted:

Kappa-Nu AX77446: Greetings, Guardsmen. While many of you will never know the joys of replacing one’s body with an invulnerable augmetic shell, some of you may get to experience the next best thing – serving worshipfully in the belly of one of the Omnissiah’s war machines. For your edification, we have recovered records of three popular vehicles preceding the modern day Leman Russ, plucked from Terra’s history:

The Tyger

The Tyger tank was first seen in the so-called “Two World War”. This conflict seems to have been notable for only featuring two planets – Terra and Venus – making it a relatively small skirmish. Like the MULE used by the Adeptus Mechanicus in days of yore, the Tyger is probably named after an animal of Old Earth, in this case, large, nine-legged insectoids from the Yndonesian Bloc, bred as beasts of war. One early tank commander, Wilhelm Swordsworth, allegedly wrote war poetry about the prowess of this vehicle, but alas only fragments remain. The Tyger was apparently a large battle tank for its time, but is several measures smaller than a Baneblade, indicating the primitive nature of early Terran technology.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Dan Abnett's books make allusions to Christianity; there is a vaguely Catholic religion called Cruxianism that existed around the time the Emperor was starting to do his thing on Terra circa 30k, and a planet called 'Sancour' (Sacré Cœur) that is explicitly described to have been named and settled by 'proto-Cruxians'. So something recognizable as descending from Christianity existed at least as late as the beginning of the Great Crusade.
Cruxianism? Sounds like Christianity minus Christ. :v:

Anyway, based on the Imperial iconography, Cruxianism would've been widespread on the worlds where the Imperial Cult was formalized in a recent enough past that they could just lift iconography and style wholesale. Though that thought just makes me want to see versions of 40K where instead of gothic cathedrals and Catholicism, the aesthetic is Angkor Wat and Hinduism, or a similar styleset of another region pushed to its limits.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Cruxianism? Sounds like Christianity minus Christ. :v:

Anyway, based on the Imperial iconography, Cruxianism would've been widespread on the worlds where the Imperial Cult was formalized in a recent enough past that they could just lift iconography and style wholesale. Though that thought just makes me want to see versions of 40K where instead of gothic cathedrals and Catholicism, the aesthetic is Angkor Wat and Hinduism, or a similar styleset of another region pushed to its limits.

I agree, but I would imagine these days that runs the risk of/being accused of, cultural appropriation.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

RickRogers posted:

I agree, but I would imagine these days that runs the risk of/being accused of, cultural appropriation.

you've seen lizardmen/seraphon, right? and tomb kings? and necrons?

i dunno. i don't think fears of being accused of cultural appropriation drive GW so much as a generally conservative, navel-gazing artistic direction. even their big new departures are just mining the books from the 80s and 90s for underdeveloped ideas, often as not. why take a risk on doing something new with the imperium, when people will eat up marines but big or zoats or bringing back exodites or something?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cease to Hope posted:

or zoats or bringing back exodites or something?

tbh Zoats and Exodites are interesting ideas that were thrown aside in the "everything is GRIM and SERIOUS" era

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Cease to Hope posted:

you've seen lizardmen/seraphon, right? and tomb kings? and necrons?

i dunno. i don't think fears of being accused of cultural appropriation drive GW so much as a generally conservative, navel-gazing artistic direction. even their big new departures are just mining the books from the 80s and 90s for underdeveloped ideas, often as not. why take a risk on doing something new with the imperium, when people will eat up marines but big or zoats or bringing back exodites or something?

Yes of course, that's why I wrote 'these days', and I was referring more to religious iconography.
Personally I imagine their art direction is driven more by business decisions, investors (sell more models!) and so on, rather than creative laziness.
I am 100 percent sure that as soon as an artist starts fiddling with religious institutions other than Catholicism in their style (these days) then they would get a letter from top telling them to stop that poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ancient civilisations are seen as a different thing with cultural appropriation, it's not like there's a lot of modern people with clout who identify with Pharaonic Egyptian aesthetics, and not much for Mesoamericans, though that might be changing. Mind you, for all we know the average reaction to descendants of Aztecs and Mayans seeing their cultural heritage portrayed in a wargame as plastic lizard people riding dinosaurs is 'loving sweet!' Though I may be biased.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

tbh Zoats and Exodites are interesting ideas that were thrown aside in the "everything is GRIM and SERIOUS" era

It wasn't really about being GRIM and SERIOUS so much as dealing with the fact that most army lists only had models for about 60% of their line, and usually only one (affordable!) plastic unit kit.

Take Exodites, for example, which never had any model at all, and were cut from the army list entirely in 40K's third edition, in the army lists in the 3e rulebook. Even after cutting all of the Harlequins and Exodites, a good chunk of the Eldar list still didn't have any models at all, or only had expensive metal models. The only plastic kits, aside from vehicles/jetbikes, were monopose plastic Guardians armed with lasguns, despite the fact that every Eldar player wanted at least 20 guardians with shuriken catapults or Dire Avengers. And people were really excited about Eldar back then, since Dark Eldar were included in the main box and the (all-but-unchanged-to-this-day!) Falcon gravtank model had just come out. (It blows my mind how much of the current Eldar line dates back to the 90s, and how much of it really holds up.)

It felt good to have new things announced for your faction back then because they were usually plastic models that were cheaper than the models in blisters, then sold 3-5 to a pack. (Later cut to 2-4 to a pack, then down to 1-2.) You had rich boy armies, where you needed a lot of models and/or those models were only available in metal, or affordable armies, where key units were all plastic kits. By third edition, the affordable armies were also better-looking and easier to customize, since they were multi-part plastic kits rather than difficult-to-assemble or mono-pose metal casts.

So, yeah, it would've been nice to get Exodites, but people really wanted plastic Guardians or plastic Dire Avengers or any plastic aspect warriors since half of them were a pain to assemble and liked to fall over a lot or Shining Spears or Dreadnaughts (now Wraithlords) that had all their weapon options included or a dozen other things. People wondered what would happen to Harlequins or Exodites (or Squats or Arbites or Genestealer Cult, some other notable groups removed in 3e) but mostly nobody could afford those all-metal armies before they were discontinued anyhow.

Zoats aren't quite like Exodites. While most of the stuff that was "squatted" was ditched in 3e, Zoats were already gone in 2e. The Tyranid army list has only gotten three or four genuinely new units that weren't on their list in Codex Tyranids for 40K 2e or the Hive War book for Epic 2e, back in 1995. (3e was 1998 onward.) I wanna say it's just Tyrant Guard, Raveners, Tyrannofexes, and variations on existing kits, but I feel like I'm forgetting something important.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 3, 2020

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ancient civilisations are seen as a different thing with cultural appropriation, it's not like there's a lot of modern people with clout who identify with Pharaonic Egyptian aesthetics, and not much for Mesoamericans, though that might be changing. Mind you, for all we know the average reaction to descendants of Aztecs and Mayans seeing their cultural heritage portrayed in a wargame as plastic lizard people riding dinosaurs is 'loving sweet!' Though I may be biased.

Yup, but modern religion....ooooh. Better not.

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 3, 2020

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mind you, for all we know the average reaction to descendants of Aztecs and Mayans seeing their cultural heritage portrayed in a wargame as plastic lizard people riding dinosaurs is 'loving sweet!' Though I may be biased.

This is where you run into problems with cultural appropriation, when you guess at what people might think rather than asking them or involving them directly in the creation. The answer, like always, is less that GW is worried about cultural appropriation and more that it's a mostly white British company making toys and games for a chiefly white British audience.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I think cultural appropriation was the wrong term, I meant more 'religious appropriation', like giant mosques in space

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

RickRogers posted:

I think cultural appropriation was the wrong term, I meant more 'religious appropriation', like giant mosques in space

It's the same thing, in practice. A mosque is just a building. The building you picture when you picture a mosque, with minarets and a dome, is a product of a particular culture, just like cathedrals with arches and stained glass and spires. You can't really separate religion from culture; people just tend to be a bit more irritable about insensitive takes on sacred cultural practices than more prosaic ones.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Imperium and its religion are extremely derivative of western civilization and lift poo poo wholesale from christianity so it'd be extremely weird to see them using like, hindu iconography. Like, the imperial cult is very unsubtly a pop culture version of medieval/early modern catholicism. Grimdark space hinduism would need different sorts of fanatics.

e: well you could definitely have planets using a hindu-ized version of Emperor worship in 40k but the "stock" version is hella catholic

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 3, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Grimdark space hinduism would need different sorts of fanatics.

Lord of Light is a pretty good book.

Bonus points for the only Christian in the book being literally a necromancer

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 3, 2020

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Imperium and its religion are extremely derivative of western civilization and lift poo poo wholesale from christianity so it'd be extremely weird to see them using like, hindu iconography. Like, the imperial cult is very unsubtly a pop culture version of medieval/early modern catholicism. Grimdark space hinduism would need different sorts of fanatics.

Seconding that if you haven't read Lord of Light, you should really do that thing.

I assumed a lot of the early profile-only units or things like Exodites were functions of the GW office staff having free access to all the conversion bits they could ever want, then someone taking the idea and running with it. Throw some Dire Avenger and Scout parts on a High Elf dragon rider, instant Exodite, make your own, kids.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Cease to Hope posted:

It's the same thing, in practice. A mosque is just a building. The building you picture when you picture a mosque, with minarets and a dome, is a product of a particular culture, just like cathedrals with arches and stained glass and spires. You can't really separate religion from culture; people just tend to be a bit more irritable about insensitive takes on sacred cultural practices than more prosaic ones.

I half agree, in practice yeah sometimes but in principle each religion is it's own global club and likes different styles to its holy buildings that stay the same wherever they get built. Local influence is there though. But the terminology associated with religion is the thing that be problematic I imagine.
I think after the Imperium and their space Jesus cathedrals, the Tau come closest to what was meant. Like a combination, 'budhist-shinto-dauist' look and philosophy, but in space. Then one could try it with Judaism...and who knows.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Tau have their own thing going on culturally, being an Eastern mishmash that's arguably a mix of Hindu castes and vaguely Chinese Communist collectivism, with possibly unintentional irony that their cultural position resembles the British Empire and their battlefield doctrine is most comparable to modern first world militaries with emphasis on superior firepower, combined arms and battlefield intelligence.

You could do an Islamic imperialist aesthetic, but for reasons that should be obvious that'd be problematic in its own way... though reminded that the Tallarns are basically Arab-flavoured Imperial Guard, and possible precedent for Islam-flavoured Imperial factions. Especially given how much the setting rips off Dune.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I liked the Exodites. I even made some lizard rider models for them once upon a time. Sad to hear they got Squatted.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think exodites have ever been decanonized, there's still references to them here and there. I thought they were just a theoretical excuse to bring in fantasy warhammer elves like feral orks are.

They wouldn't be the only group that sounds interesting but are doomed to never get any official support. There's a lot of stuff like that. Megarachnids sound cool.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: well you could definitely have planets using a hindu-ized version of Emperor worship in 40k but the "stock" version is hella catholic

What about if they borrow from Orthodox christianity? That's a lot more colorful and even have their own minarets and onion towers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
One of the perpetuals in the hh novels is explicitly said to be the last member of the Cathric faith.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

I reckon a style based on Hinduism could be fun to experiment with in the setting. Great span of history and architecture, lots of different subcultures. There are a relatively large number Hindus in the UK, so it's not like they couldn't find some to develop a concept. Eldar do have some elements of Hinduism what with avatars and all the Gods, so maybe explore that.
I'm going out on a limb here, but Hindus might also not be inclined to take things....too personally.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's still Christian tho. A truly "global" Imperium with lots of little tidbits from here and there in the architecture etc would be amazing but prolly a bit beyond what you can doctor into the setting organically at this point. E: the Orthodox thing.

I loved the Chaos Dwarves' Babylonian thing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That’s more what I was thinking. Someone came around, told them to worship the emperor, and they just started building huge hindu-like temples because that was their frame of reference for religion.

Maybe some planets ended up getting destroyed for chaos worship because they gave the emperor an eagle head though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

What about if they borrow from Orthodox christianity? That's a lot more colorful and even have their own minarets and onion towers.

Invent a revolutionary human splinter faction and make their flagship have a giant flying red square as its bridge

e:

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 3, 2020

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Invent a revolutionary human splinter faction and make their flagship have a giant flying red square as its bridge

e:

Blessed is the mind too small for TRUMP

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I still don't like that almost every "named" character doesn't wear a helmet. The helmets look awesome. Put the helmets on. Design them how you want for distinction.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I still don't like that almost every "named" character doesn't wear a helmet. The helmets look awesome. Put the helmets on. Design them how you want for distinction.

They should wear helmets that are giant casts of their own heads a la Saints Row 3.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tulip posted:

They should wear helmets that are giant casts of their own heads a la Saints Row 3.
That's what all space marines who do wear helmets do. The ones without helmets are showing off how pretty and normal their heads look.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think Shrike of the Raven Guard is one of the only special characters to always wear a helmet, because the ol' beaky just works for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there is a new edition of blood bowl coming out and some of the pages have leaked, so please enjoy this new art

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 4, 2020