Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
there is only War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
There is an Ork inventor who makes stuff. His name is Orkimedes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Mechanicus is the best 40K videogame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YirkpurLHkU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

:agreed:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

isnt it the 41st

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

This is me.

I'm off to fix something with a moderately sized hammer on my flame powered flying jetski that has a spike on it.
At least I assume that's what I'm doing because I have no other discernible or practicable weapons and tactically this makes zero sense, like what the hell am I even doing here.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Hey everyone, just zoomin' through to spread my message of intergalactic peace and love. "Far out," man!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FunkyAl posted:

Hey everyone, just zoomin' through to spread my message of intergalactic peace and love. "Far out," man!

It's called WarHammer, rear end in a top hat, not PeaceHammer!

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Squizzle posted:

isnt it the 41st

Technically it's now moved into the 42nd millenium, but yeah, I hosed up real bad.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Ego-bot posted:

Technically it's now moved into the 42nd millenium, but yeah, I hosed up real bad.

Rob's back, and he's ready to gently caress an alien

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's called WarHammer, rear end in a top hat, not PeaceHammer!

*sticks a flower down the muzzle of your mass effect laser tank*

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
40K got up its own rear end at least a decade ago and half the fans are unironic fascists. i kind of like the models and aesthetic but nobody can afford them and nobody with any sense wants to play with the other people who play it.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
The only way 40k would be good was if they zoomed another 40k years in the future and the space commies won and everything was chill

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cease to Hope posted:

40K got up its own rear end at least a decade ago and half the fans are unironic fascists. i kind of like the models and aesthetic but nobody can afford them and nobody with any sense wants to play with the other people who play it.

False.

About nobody cool to play with. Not about the time it went into its rear end.

I joined a random club near my house to play and everyone rules.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do sure like the Tau's aesthetic. I bet they've got the best space marines.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

40k is a fun-adjacent strategy game with relatively chill players and the absolute worst fiction. The only redeeming quality is that it's incredibly easy to make fun of, see:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/745680/Lovehammer_400_000_The_Buttlerian_Crusade/

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cease to Hope posted:

they've put out some great model lines in the last few years, especially Death Guard, so if you like to paint angry little men infested with maggots and eels then this is the golden age of the hobby

it's still insanely expensive and likely to get moreso

not all the fans are fash but way too many of them are

but seriously, check these dudes out:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Rad as poo poo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Distinct lack of ORKS!!!

BTW Best Warhamm youtube channel is Snipe and Wib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI9rMRjUYbU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If Ikit Claw joined the Mechanicus, would anyone notice?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpaD5NEaTrc

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Do you have the full link for this comic? I’ve been looking for it for a while

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Slut_Patrol

(that's not, like, an official source, just a place that has them collected)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

From the outside 40k looks like a classic case of "Don't start a community on the basis of irony, or you'll attract actual idiots who think they've finally found good company."

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Was warhammer ever that ironic though? I mean yeah the imperium are over the top fascist theocrats, but it's also a universe where hell exists and is real and is constantly trying to invade, so I don't know if it was ever meant as that much of a parody.

This thread made me look up warhammer poo poo for the first time in forever, and man, what happened to the story-line? Robute Guilliman is back, and there are now super-space marines who have mechs?

Some of the new models do look cool as hell though.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Still Dismal posted:

Was warhammer ever that ironic though? I mean yeah the imperium are over the top fascist theocrats, but it's also a universe where hell exists and is real and is constantly trying to invade, so I don't know if it was ever meant as that much of a parody.

imho it is fully satirical and in the early stuff you can see how influential stuff like nineteen eighty-four and judge dredd were on it because the ideas it borrowed weren't fully integrated yet and still stuck out like bad grafts... there are two big catches tho

the first is catch is the setting's outrageously, comedically bad human government isn't responsible for its own creation per se but started when people got scared and stupid and made one terrible decision after another after realizing the galaxy is an awful place place to live... ironically, because it's full of other misfits who make one bad decision after another - the only reason space-hell has any power is because of how dumb everyone is, so of course it gets stronger every day

the other catch is the angsty 13 year olds the hobby normally attracts just think the over-the-top grimdark stuff is cool as hell, they don't yet see how self-destructive it is and unironically love the setting and want to live there :gonk:; that's sorta like missing the point of idiocracy because you thought president camacho was just a really cool guy, or not seeing how verhoeven was dunking on fascism in starship troopers because the action was :black101:

yeah, there are a few authors who downplay the satire because they prefer to write about 'fundamentally good people trying to make due' instead of 'idiots shooting their own foot' but generally most writers know how to work with the main idea even if they just end up with stories about heroes who are The Only Sane Humans Left

hard counter fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 14, 2020

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I mean it's a mishmash of a dozen different influences mainly put together because someone thought they were cool, alongside a couple of genuinely interesting and creative ideas, so I certainly think that it might have been satirical at one point.

But I don't know how satirical it is now. I don't think something can fairly be called a satire of theocracy or authoritarianism if in the setting there are in fact real demons that people can summon that will consume worlds if people practice the wrong religion. Once you know that, the imperium's fanatical insistence on adherence to it's state mandated religion looks not totally unreasonable as policy, so I don't really think it works that well as satire.

It would be like if you tried to have a story that satirized the immigration system for being needlessly paranoid and xenphobic, but a major plot point was the depredations of bloodthirsty MS13 members just barely held back by the efforts of border patrol agents.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 14, 2020

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

you definitely can imho - dudes like gaunt or cain can win against the actual daemons that everyone's so afraid of by acting like reasonable human beings w/o resorting to fanatical grimdark solutions and they win hard enough that there are teams of inquisitors trying to figure out how the hell they did it

in contrast, when their awful government goes full dumb fanatic and starts purging everyone they just end up making things 100x worse - like one of the latest big stories is that a bunch of overzealous grey knights started killing a bunch of the new primaris marines because these marines were vicariously guilty of a crime some other people committed... so now a whole bunch of marines defected to chaos and now chaos might have daemonic super-space marines

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I did like the Caiaphas Cain story where he dealt with a dispute between two Imperial Guard units by sitting them down and talking it out, when standard procedure called for field executions until they all fell in line.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
warhammer 40K started out life as a way for games workshop to keep making judge dredd figures when their license was running out. a lot of the early 40K stuff was either minor resculpts or just renamed figures from their dredd line.

the original metal bikes, with the guns on either side of the front wheel, were one of the longest-lived sculpts originally made for judge dredd.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
The original material had you be a descendent of the Emperor who rejects the entire setting, but it wasn't handled well at all and they dropped the 'sensei' after the first books.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Nah, the original material had no narrative and was just Warhammer Fantasy elves, orks, and dwarfs mashed with some Alien, Dune, and 2000AD. The sensei stuff was one many early ancillary ideas that never got much development.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, the original material had no narrative and was just Warhammer Fantasy elves, orks, and dwarfs mashed with some Alien, Dune, and 2000AD. The sensei stuff was one many early ancillary ideas that never got much development.

They were in the Realms of Chaos books that didn't really have a lot of their other material cut. They were very much cut, and were honestly not a great implementation of playing the good guy.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Yeah, sorry I think I'm just splitting hairs on whether the two Realms of Chaos books count as original material. I think of original material as just being the Rogue Trader book and first round of WD articles in support of it. I put the Realms of Chaos books with stuff like the Compendium, Compilation and Freebootaz that were the first expansions to that original material.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
so i hadn't thought about it in a long time and then i realized that the space marines can't be women thing is totally different than i was reading it

they're ubermensch who reproduce by injecting their geneseed into boys no older than teenagers

i can never unsee it now

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

skulls

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hodgepodge posted:

so i hadn't thought about it in a long time and then i realized that the space marines can't be women thing is totally different than i was reading it

they're ubermensch who reproduce by injecting their geneseed into boys no older than teenagers

i can never unsee it now

40k is basically the Iron Dream but not actually super satirical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cease to Hope posted:

Seems like a dumb take, you're letting the people who say things like purge the xenos in the emperor's name on twitter ruin letting little plastic and/or metal things fight to the death while drinking a brewski or soda with your buds. The vast majority of people I've met in the fandom don't let the unironic fascists play with them and the unironic fascists tend to be bad at the game so they're not winning tournaments with their 'completely canon SM chapter that uses the swastika' or whatever. I think it's fun to paint models, then fight with those models, and the people who are unironic fascists can be dealt with appropriately ostracized/punched depending on ability.