Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cease to Hope posted:

40K got up its own rear end at least a decade ago and half the fans are unironic fascists. i kind of like the models and aesthetic but nobody can afford them and nobody with any sense wants to play with the other people who play it.

they've put out some great model lines in the last few years, especially Death Guard, so if you like to paint angry little men infested with maggots and eels then this is the golden age of the hobby

it's still insanely expensive and likely to get moreso

not all the fans are fash but way too many of them are

but seriously, check these dudes out:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Relevant Tangent posted:

Seems like a dumb take, you're letting the people who say things like purge the xenos in the emperor's name on twitter ruin letting little plastic and/or metal things fight to the death while drinking a brewski or soda with your buds. The vast majority of people I've met in the fandom don't let the unironic fascists play with them and the unironic fascists tend to be bad at the game so they're not winning tournaments with their 'completely canon SM chapter that uses the swastika' or whatever. I think it's fun to paint models, then fight with those models, and the people who are unironic fascists can be dealt with appropriately ostracized/punched depending on ability.

This is the right take, but keep in mind that some of the major online 40k personalities, and some of the companies that cater to the 40k hobby, have some really fashy tendencies. If you care enough to check you can go post in the tradgames subforum, there's basically a list of the major offenders but I don't know it well because I only dabble in the hobby. One example, though, is a company called GreenStuffWorld that sells modeling supplies and they got caught out selling fascist iconography and were really pissy about it when they got enough bad publicity to force them to get rid of the worst of it, and they may have reintroduced it anyway. It's really depressing that a hobby consisting of painting little plastic transhuman soldiers, critters straight out of the Alien franchise and Tolkienesque orks that fly about the galaxy with axes and machine guns requires vigilance to keep track of fascists if you don't want to give the wrong person money/retweets/views etc.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, TM has the right of it. "the hobby is just fash etc etc" is, like I said, an angle usually taken by people with an axe to grind. Same as the more specific "GW is dying" "the models are bad now", and "no one can afford to buy in".

what the gently caress

most of the newer plastics rule imo apart from some really cheesy dynamic posing at times

some of the primaris are too much of a departure for some players but that doesn't mean the models aren't great from a technical perspective

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Orks are the most fun part of both Warhammer settings

absolutely

the new rules even let you kamikaze the enemy with your fliers

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cerv posted:

are they still not bringing Squats back?

sorry I don't have more up to date 40k material

Squats never existed and we have always been at war with Eurasia

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Tyranids always seemed to be pretty lacking in something that would make them specifically interesting instead of just being a faceless horde with no personality.

imo Genestealer Cults fixed that problem to an extent

a cult infestation taking place over several human generations utilizing intrigue, class consciousness, espionage and genetic manipulation to undermine a planet's loyalty to the Imperium, all to pave the way for an easier and more successful invasion and ultimate consumption of all biomass by said faceless horde is more interesting than just having the faceless horde invade and eat everything

also people worshiping the Four-Armed Emperor might be the funniest non-ork thing in 40k

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mordja posted:

Surprised no one's brought up the Astartes CGI fan films. They tell an intriguing, minimalist sci-fi story seemingly removed from other 40k fiction. I honestly think they're better than similar fan creations because of it, and because there's genuinly impressive cinematography involved, not just cool graphics & action. Definitely some Dredd influence to it.

Astartes is really impressive.There is an honesty about it regarding the dark source material that is way beyond what I think Games Workshop would be willing to produce and release. It's not actually removed from 40k fiction btw, those gold mask psykers are pretty obscure but already part of the canon (I don't know poo poo about it, I just know it's an established faction).

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, Tyranids and Genestealers were separate until very late in Rogue Trader. But you're right, Tyranids are kind of boring because the faceless hoard is a more interesting idea than it is an actual thing. Why they decided to start having Necrons with character. Also Genestealer Cults are like the coolest army right now. It's taking all my will power to not build an army of them. I'm already commited to too many armies ;Ultramarines, Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Iron Warriors, Death Guard, Thousand Sons, Necrons, Tau, Custodes, Eldar, Mechanicus and Sisters. To be fair, most of these armies are pretty much done and I don't need to buy anything new for them unless there are new releases.

I love the new Necron characters, they've made them so ancient and alien that they can be both friend and foe because their concerns are even beyond the Eldar. I love the Necron in the Fall of Cadia story just throwing out Pokeballs full of Space Marines from the Horus Hersey and other ancient times to fight against chaos.

If I wasn't poor as gently caress I'd consider doing Death Guard, Chaos Marines, Genestealer Cults and AdMech armies. They all have fantastic models but putting together a 2000 point list for any of them apart from Death Guard looks like it would cost over $500. Orks are the bestest but I used to play them in the early aughts and wouldn't consider starting them again until they update the ancient parts of the model lineup.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cease to Hope posted:

:shrug:

40K models run double to quadruple what they cost when I played, and even then groups were falling apart because of dramatic jumps in model prices.

The only solace for me is that you can get great, relatively cheap Death Guard models from people selling half of Dark Millenium and Chaos Marines from half of Shadowspear because vendors split the kits up and sell individual units on Ebay

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Laterite posted:

Squats rule squat, Tyranids drool acid and pheromones

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

The AdMech also took some of this “space” as the Machine God became more of a literal thing and less of A Canticle For Liebowitz. Now that I’m thinking on it, is sort of like the Jews I guess (two gods that were, mostly for political reasons, declared to be selfsame/equivalent so that some sort of uncomfortable coexistence was possible based on mutual need of both parties). But the AdMech is powerful and Jews were not, so the place of Squats-as-Jews in the Imperium sort of makes more sense?

E: In before Mel Brooks video.

E2: In my great Imperial Guard building project I’m going to have squats made from those Sigmar Steampunk Dorfs driving tanks and riding bikes (Tauros Buggies or maybe White Scars?). They’re drawn from the “Amalgamated Imperial Brotherhoods” which is what I call the surviving Squat Brotherhoods which got integrated/annexed by the Imperium after Behemoth. :shrug:

E3: the new Necromunda Cawdor book has a squat in it and this seems to be the political situation. Which is good, I like having my Imperium being HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE IIIINNNNN SSSPPPPAAAACCCCEEE.

I think the AdMech see the Omnessiah as an aspect of the Emperor, Hindu-style, rather than a Christian/Jewish thing

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

Distinct lack of 40k art in this thread

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hodgepodge posted:

iirc the official policy is that time itself isn't consistent in the setting, let alone records of what happened and how

like there was a 'small' war brewing over time keeping around when a primarch returned and wanted them to get things straightened out

this is way more interesting and realistic than 'cannon,' and gently caress anyone holding up star wars as how things should be done

very little of the nuts and bolts of the 40k universe is consistent either

a imperator titan is 40 meters tall in one book and 110 meters tall in another, it's all up to the authors

in some books a few squads of space marines are all that's needed to conquer planets full of humans and in other books you'll have one normal human dude who single-handedly murders several chaos marines, an ork warboss, and a tyranid broodlord whilst armed with nothing but a chainsaw sword, a dinky little laser pistol and a flippant attitude

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sanguinia posted:

I went with sisters of battle because their tank is a pipe organ that shoots missiles out of its pipes.

I like how the new SoB models crank that poo poo to 11

tag urself, I'm the skull cherub

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sanguinia posted:

I'm the lovingly hand-made artisan candles. Imagine being in a tank rumbling through a full-scale war zone, poo poo exploding all around you, and right behind you there's a bunch of loving candles.

If I could freehand worth a drat I'd try to put the Virgin Mary on the candles

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Caidin posted:

So is that cherub like an ornament or is it a free spirited skull drone thing that'll wander off if they don't chain it to the tank?

the chain is just a modeling structural support so the cherub servitor can look like it's flying, it makes about as much sense as anything else on the model

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 13, 2020

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Vroooom vroom!

Contrast with the SoB tank posted earlier.

in space, no one can hear you scream

because they all have tinnitus

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tulip posted:

This has reminded me of one of my favorite goonhammer quotes

(the competitive advice is I'm pretty sure totally out of date but so it goes)

the combat doctrines nerf came down mere weeks after the new Dark Angels stuff and it hit them particularly hard

a real cock punch

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cease to Hope posted:

Those new models are neat, and definitely have a more religious vibe than the previous ones. They remind me a lot of the original Adeptus Ministorum line.

But monastic orders don't have chaplains by definition. A chaplain is the cleric attached to a lay or secular whole. Now, I realize nobody actually cares about this real pedantic argument, but it's an excuse to talk about old 40K poo poo some more.

They're called space marine chaplains because they are a holdover from waaaaaaaaaaaaaay the gently caress back, back before all of this stuff about space marines being warrior-monks.

I don't know when these models first came out, but this is a picture from the 1989 Warhammer 40000 Compendium, which (as far as I know!) is the first book with all of the stuff about weird implanted organs and warrior monks and such. They already existed at that point.

Some bonus cool old goofy poo poo

the original Marneus Calgar illustration

the original Marneus Calgar model, although I believe he wasn't named until the Compendium came out

beaky mask best mask

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'd be happy with GW releasing any new guardsmen. The basic catachans look bad and the basic cadians lack even their goofy charm.

At least with the rise of the biglies, guard don't tower over marines anymore.

it's a huge opportunity to introduce female soldiers to the Guard, which can't come soon enough

I think GW is savvy enough to integrate the Guard units in the next redesign but otoh who knows how far down the priorities list those redesigns will be

also Cadia's dead as disco so who knows who will be the primary faction for the new models

I just hope it's not Catachans again

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mordja posted:

I also love Admech's pulp sci-fi stuff. Some people think the Kastelan looks stupid.

Well I think those people look stupid.

These look great apart from the heads, an Admech robot should have a billion different types of sensors, lenses, echolocators, etc. crammed in there instead of a 50's retro faceplate

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cease to Hope posted:

Don't get me wrong, I do like the retro stylings of the new AdMech robots. There's a neat contrast between the clean, functional, traditional things they clearly revere unquestioningly, and the absolutely bonkers gribbly crap that is obviously an experiment in progress.

That said, the old robots also rule.

The old robots go all the way back to the late 80s, and were discontinued before 2nd edition. (I forget it they had rules in the armylists packed in the main box - I think they did - but they never appeared in any codex.)

Their look is cool, and some of the design ideas would go on to inform the Knights and Titans of Titan Legion/Epic. You can see the Castellan there, too, although these were quite a bit smaller than the current robots; I'd say about 40mm tall, give or take. They're mounted on the same bases as ogres.

What was bonkers about them is that you had to program them. You had to lay out a series of logic gates into a flowchart that dictated their behavior before the battle. Each step in the flowchart cost 3 points, so very complex programs could get expensive fast.

(For perspective, a space marine in those days cost about 30-35 points, and the robot itself without the program ran about 150.)

Obviously, this ended up too complicated for actual play and didn't survive into the later editions. A few AdMech units survived on the Space Marine and Imperial Guard lists into second edition, but by third they were all crewed by those factions or removed.

woah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ironic thing is the Space Marines are statistically the least loyal of the Imperium's military forces while the Sisters are the most by a long shot

Also being soulless isn't too bad, it means you can kill demons and wizards with ease

how much of the Mechanicum turned traitor during the heresy, was it proportional to the Astartes