Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do sure like the Tau's aesthetic. I bet they've got the best space marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I kinda thought that since dwarves were all about greedily gathering resources with no thought to the consequences, then the equivalent of dwarves in 40k must be Tyranids.

Although there's never any story about Tyranids digging too deep into a planet and getting a bellyache or something. Or I guess the equivalent would be if they ran into a bunch of prions that started unraveling their proteins.

Tyranids always seemed to be pretty lacking in something that would make them specifically interesting instead of just being a faceless horde with no personality.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If they wanted to do space dwarves today as more technologically advanced humans who live mostly underground and are obsessed with finding treasure, they'd make the Adeptus Mechanicus a playable army.

wait

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

40k lore only works when you take none of it fully seriously and treat everyone as some kind of absurd unreliable narrator.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess even before the grimdark of the Tau was started to be played up by the fluff, the Tau were still good buddies with the kig-yar Kroot, who need to regularly eat sentient creatures to maintain their intelligence.

The sterilization camps was still a bit much though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also as the only xenophillic race, the Tau are pretty much the only straightforward opportunity to hope to see most of the more obscure races in the 40k universe. As opposed to the Imperium getting all embarrassed about their alien gorilla auxiliaries.

I don't know if that could possibly result in one of those races getting pushed up from part of the greater good to a faction in their own right, but it'd be neat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The later lore on the Tau is also literally the same as some real-world anti-globalist conspiracy theories, and introduced for about the same reason, through all the supposed satire; to make diplomacy and forging international relationships somehow the moral equivalent of or worse than actual genocidal nationalist campaigns. So basically I'm used to entirely dismissing the concepts involved just on reflex.

Although really since their whole bit was not having been around for long time and still changing and making progress quickly, it would've made a lot of sense to have them radically change when the lore hit the 42nd millennium, since they're not locked into the same stagnancy as humanity or the Eldar.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always liked how all the minis kinda look kinda squat and deformed from having to work on a smaller scale, and I don't like how the Primaris marines are more realistically proportioned.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Don't they already get space marine super-ear implants?

The only implant I remember offhand is the one that lets them absorb knowledge in the brains they eat as well as spit acid.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the Emperor had a very strict "no girls allowed" rule for space marines, that's about as much rules for gender as there are in the Imperium so far as I know.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Some Goon posted:

I've known 40k fans for ages, but I've never touched it myself. Today I said "what was the Horus Heresy anyways?" and now I'm convinced there are more words in the 40k wiki than Wikipedia proper.

That's why back when I was trying to learn about 40k lore I preferred https://1d4chan.org/ which at least has some level of self-awareness.

You do have to filter out some of the more 4channy stuff, although on some level seeing the lore written out by people lapsing into immature or bigoted internet-speak gives it a little extra verisimilitude.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like the philosophy about fan canon that 1d4chan came up with.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Your_Dudes

Since all the characters and armies matter most as little figures that you literally play with and form your own personal feelings about, it's only natural for you to personalize your headcanon. That's part of what play is, and even with a lot of complicated stats and rules and overly long official backstories, it's still meant to be playing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There being no difference between Gork and Mork is a funny joke, but also cripples the whole thing by not giving any texture for nerds to grab onto like they do with every other faction and group in the franchise.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I miss the days when I could insult something by calling it a special snowflake, referring to its improbable uniqueness instead of...I dunno, fragility? Is that what the internet jerks are using it to mean? And I do have just a little twinge when I hear people talk about chiggers, although I don't think I've ever heard people try using rhymes to evoke the n-word. That one Lovecraft Elder God is worse.

Do the 40k rules still allow you to field an army of orangutans?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Beep boop, lasering in on target sentence.

Cease to Hope posted:

So you have orcs and elves and men, lining up to recreate battles that are strikingly similar to the 30 Years War.

So does that mean that wizards are the equivalent of early modern gunmen? Do they have the same tendency to occasionally explode as psykers do?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When are they gonna put out a Hrud army?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It makes plenty of sense that there would be plenty of miserable people in the Imperium who would be willing to join a cult for some promise of hope, which makes it all the sadder that there's nothing good awaiting them.

On the other side of the Space Hulk, I feel like the Terminators are one of the more original designs that Warhammer 40k developed. Normal space marines are sort of a pastiche of medieval knights, football players, and stormtroopers, with a couple of extrapolations for sci-fi, but Terminators have these weird helmets that make them look like wild boars craning out of the front of their armor. They take the whole implied thing where space marine armor is fairly bigger than the wearer and amplify it, so that the armor keeps going like a foot above the head, and on the ones without a helmet you can see how deep the head is buried.

It's anyone's guess how a human being is supposed to fit inside of that mess, and whatever padding or mechanisms the person inside is swaddled in to make the armor fit and work. They physically can't possibly look behind themselves because there is a solid block of metal keeping them from turning their head.

They're sort of the pinnacle of the squat warhammer look where all the individual features are exaggerated because the figure is so small and it's hard to do smaller details, and it's a little disappointing that Primaris Marines are a clear attempt to step away from that style and keep more realistic proportions.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They've obviously got inbuilt rear view cameras to get around that.

That only raises more questions!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They kinda have a Starcraft look to them, since they're so much rounder and thinner and their heads have little domes.

Which is weirdly circular.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It wouldn't really surprise me if Primaris were much more dominant in like 43k, the baseline space marines mostly sidelined.

Although as a counterargument: They're supporting 30k as well, so even if they replace them in the mainline game, they'll still somehow have a dedicated lineup full of "old" marines.

Maybe it's more likely that Primaris are a stylistic trial run for redesigning the baseline marines to have been different all along.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

I don't think dozens and dozens of marginally-different units in one codex is sustainable. It would be one thing if the Primaris units all filled in new niches, but they're obviously filling in all the old roles of the 28mm units with new Primaris units.

I kinda thought of them as pokemon megavolutions. Like every space marine group has a fancy upgraded version with their special boy organ making them taller and thinner, but that's balanced out by point costs. I don't know how well that actually works out though.

What's confusing though is how they'd fit a wholesale replacement in while still holding onto the old characters and everything else since they've already been differentiated from normal space marines in the fluff.
Is there some kind of intent to just fundamentally change the way the whole faction of Space Marines as a whole work? Would every other faction need to get boosted to be able to deal with them?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

There's a lot of fiddly differences but the broad outline is that five Intercessors are filling basically the same battlefield role as a ten-member Tactical Squad. Each dude has more-ish shots at longer range or with more damage or whatever, and each dude is tougher and takes multiple hits to kill but that's offset by there being fewer of them. The point costs just mean that they're more or less balanced with other units. Quite a few Primaris units are better than most other units, but it isn't an inherent quality of being larger and elite-er dudes. Some of the Primaris units are really garbage! It's just the usual 40K problems of bad balance and power creep.

That's another thing I don't really get about the grand scheme, is the idea to make space marine armies contain less total models? Because that seems like the opposite of the usual more models more money calculation.

Unless they want a cheaper entry-level option into the hobby? Or if Primaris Marines are 2.5 times as expensive as normal marines.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mordja posted:

How does Primarising old characters like Marnie work anyways? Do they just pump them full of nu-geneseed, is Primarising basically just doing HGH?
  • cut slot in marine
  • stick in "make it better" organ
  • close slot
  • profit

It's very simple.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

RickRogers posted:

Is it my imagination or have the shoulder pads stayed the same size? I have the new box set coming 'in the next 120 days', so I look forward to finding out then at least.

Primaris Marines are more realistically-proportioned in general, which I personally am kinda disappointed about because I kinda liked Space Marines looking all goofy and small.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mycroft Holmes posted:

so, I realized something recently. The Emperor eliminated all religion from earth after he conquered it. People don't give up religion easily, so he probably had to kill a lot of people. Meaning...the Emperor killed all the Jews.

The Emperor wiped out all religion on Earth around the year 30k, after 10,000 years of an impossibly advanced humanity spreading throughout the galaxy and then 5,000 years of those humans collapsing and being plunged into chaos and darkness before the Emperor started to reunite them (and notably, definitely never finished reuniting them because of his own collapse).

Probably any Jews who come into contact with the Imperium will wind up in a new religious conflict just like they did with that other god emperor back in the days of Israel, but it's fully possible that there are still jews in space, and they could even be doing better than the Imperium for all anyone knows.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was actually poking around for the story, and I couldn't find it, but I did find the author talking about it.

https://graham-mcneill.com/last-church/#!/last-church/

Graham McNeil posted:

In the end, to really stir the pot, I wanted to end the story in a way that, while Uriah might have been wrong, he was the one you liked better and who came out with the apparent moral high ground. The Emperor was right, yet he came across as the arrogant, short-sighted tyrant – the very kind he rails against in the story. Now go back and read it again and see if you agree!

Which sounds a lot like the story was doing what it intended to mostly, although maybe too well for the author's intention.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think exodites have ever been decanonized, there's still references to them here and there. I thought they were just a theoretical excuse to bring in fantasy warhammer elves like feral orks are.

They wouldn't be the only group that sounds interesting but are doomed to never get any official support. There's a lot of stuff like that. Megarachnids sound cool.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Imperium and its religion are extremely derivative of western civilization and lift poo poo wholesale from christianity so it'd be extremely weird to see them using like, hindu iconography. Like, the imperial cult is very unsubtly a pop culture version of medieval/early modern catholicism. Grimdark space hinduism would need different sorts of fanatics.

e: well you could definitely have planets using a hindu-ized version of Emperor worship in 40k but the "stock" version is hella catholic

What about if they borrow from Orthodox christianity? That's a lot more colorful and even have their own minarets and onion towers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never really understood the appeal of chaos. Like from the outside sure it's neat to have these monsters and the metal aesthetic and everything, but from an in-world perspective, it's just such a lose/lose proposition to worship it unless you're both a masochist and a sadist. The bulk of the people who fight for chaos are consumed in their own infinite suffering that warfare is only a brief respite from. Maybe you'll live longer in your infinite suffering, but otherwise you'll probably lose everything you care about unless you're specifically one of the high-ranked leaders.

Like there's a million and one reasons to rebel against Imperium rule, but if you're already willing to sign up with some unspeakable horror to protect you from the rest of the galaxy, why not just stick with the Imperium anyways. I get you can have an interesting time with telling the story of the fall into chaos, but after you're there, it just kinda sucks.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought at some point they decided that the undead who plan on wiping out all life wasn't selling enough people on the faction, so they were rewritten to have fairly varied motivations to do whatever they do, and the whole arbitrarily wiping out all life thing is only the traditionalist Necron take.

I absolutely love their viking longboat things though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Thousand Sons but a bazillion years ago and they're buried as nice little presents on planets across the galaxy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hooves are an easy mutation to happen after the eons that they would've had to survive in some isolated pocket for.

I think the biggest difference is that the Tau don't appear to be horribly suffering just living day to day, which would fit if the Necrontyr were actual total babies who saw the fact that their natural lifespan was less than a bazillion years and that they didn't have wacky psychic powers as the greatest injustice in the world and they started the war because they were assholes like everybody is.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This would be a fantastic retcon, though you could probably push it further. The orks have that latent psychic thing and were created by powerful psykers, so just have them react straight up to the aggression/emotions of their potential opponents. Interacting with a complete pacifist they're happy to just barter or chill, but since pretty much everyone they meet is some warlike rear end in a top hat that's how they express themselves too. Like, they can just feel how fighty any given person is, and respond in kind, which on a Waaagh level gives them the ability to find the best planets to attack for a good time and on a species-wide level just makes them massively aggressive as they respond to their own aggression and the aggression of neighboring species like the humans of the Imperium.

Supposedly during the War of the Beast, Orks managed to put together a functioning civilization like that.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Really? You're gonna go with viking longboat and not the ancient Egyptian/Mediterranean ships to which it bears far more resemblance?

Mediterranean ships don't have that snaky bit in front, and they had a big ol' ram that this is missing.

They also didn't look like a literal ribcage that I like to imagine just leaving the passengers exposed to the void, and it's a more interesting look than the half-price Goa'uld ships they had in Battlefleet Gothic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Tau have a bunch of alien auxiliaries that have been written down in the fluff but haven't shown up anywhere in the actual game. that could easily be popped into the game and be a nice little starting point for carving some more minor species a lil' place in the galaxy.

And then they could make sniper/shield Kroot and rip off Halo.

Cease to Hope posted:

Ogryns and (sigh) Ratlings yes, Squats no.

The Ratlings need a bog.

Also, the Tau have the Demiurg, who are fairly squatlike.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A podcast I listen to recently had an episode where a former Games Workshop employee describes Warhammer 40k to a couple of movie dorks.

https://www.flophousepodcast.com/2020/08/fh-mini-13-warhammer-what-is-it-good-for/

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I keep confusing the Iron Hands with the Imperial Fists and Iron Warriors.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Considering how part of the reason that the Squats were discarded was because GW decided that a bike-heavy army seemed kinda silly, it seems obvious why the White Scars get passed over. Maybe if they had some kind of space horses their whole thing would come together better. Or if they didn't need to be fully armored.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Some of the best chapters are the ones that aren't founding chapters and probably don't even know where their stank-rear end geneseed came from.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I mean technically with the way that the Warp is really stupid, all the new things could leak into the past with time travel.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What if the reason there hasn't been any technological development is because every time somebody invents something new, it gets cycled back through time so that it becomes immediately old.

Also imagine some 40k marines accidentally winding up in the Great Crusade and just trying to keep their heads down, unsure of what's going on.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Philosophically, the Tau have a bit of a moral high ground over the Imperium, although honestly they should probably flesh things out further so there's more splinter factions fighting each other to make Tau v. Tau fights more canonical.

Aesthetically, the Tau look way cool. They're probably even easier to paint than other factions, although that may defeat the point for some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've talked a lot of poo poo about Chaos, but joining the Space Marines doesn't seem like a good deal either, considering how you basically have to give up everything in your life, probably to never see anyone you ever cared about ever again and fight for the rest of your life until either something murders you horribly or your rotting flesh is no longer able to operate the coffin-robot they shoved you into after your body started to decay. Usually the most you personally get out of the deal other than the satisfaction of your own servitude is an enhanced lifespan to serve much, much longer.

It's no wonder that the Space Marines often find ways of maintaining their own dominion among the worlds they've saved, because not everyone has enough zealotry in them to deal with the endless battles.

The Imperial Guard usually die much more, but I assume that there's some kind of retirement age or limit to your tours of duty. If only because if they regularly shoved elderly guardsmen to the front to die, the fluff wouldn't shut up about that.

Bucnasti posted:

Nothing about Catchachans makes sense if you think about it for even a second...
They come from a death world where every living thing is trying to kill the all the time, they. can’t have cities because the jungle literally eats them. So everyone is Rambo all day everyday. The planet has no mineral resources (except enough metal to make their Rambo knives) and can’t be used for agriculture of any kind, so the only way they can fulfill their imperial tithes is by providing guard regiments full of 80s action movie tough guys and gals. So if the place is so deadly and resource poor why does anyone live there at all let alone how the hell do enough people survive that they can fill a single regiment?

Because gently caress you. A planet full of Schwarzenegger’s is cool that’s why. It’s peak 40k and I love it.

I think I've seen some people write that Catachan does have cities in little areas that have been totally scourged of life and are just little barren islands, although that kinda ruins the fun of it.

I don't think there needs to be a reason why humanity is living there, because that's half the fun of the human diaspora. Maybe they didn't choose to live there voluntarily, maybe the world was a lot less hostile place to live 30,000 years ago (there's a whole host of ways that could've changed between aliens, chaos, and the dark age of technology). Point is that there were humans there who managed to build a lasting civilization by the time the Imperium found the world again and discovered how hearty the people from there were. 40k loves the ethos of tough times making tough men.

There's the whole archetype of jungle people who know all the tips and tricks for living in an otherwise hostile area that normal people would quickly die in, although normally that's more for like the Amazon, and Catachan is more supposed to be Vietnam. Although Catachans are US soldiers in Vietnam, so that's more confusing.