Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PeterWeller posted:

The fluff just moved away from Squats too. Their relationship with the Imperium was much like the WHFB Dwarfs' relationship with the Empire. They were allies who helped the Imperium with technology. As technological stagnation and xenophobia became bigger and bigger parts of the Imperium's lore, their relationship with the Squats made less and less sense.

The AdMech also took some of this “space” as the Machine God became more of a literal thing and less of A Canticle For Liebowitz. Now that I’m thinking on it, is sort of like the Jews I guess (two gods that were, mostly for political reasons, declared to be selfsame/equivalent so that some sort of uncomfortable coexistence was possible based on mutual need of both parties). But the AdMech is powerful and Jews were not, so the place of Squats-as-Jews in the Imperium sort of makes more sense?

E: In before Mel Brooks video.

E2: In my great Imperial Guard building project I’m going to have squats made from those Sigmar Steampunk Dorfs driving tanks and riding bikes (Tauros Buggies or maybe White Scars?). They’re drawn from the “Amalgamated Imperial Brotherhoods” which is what I call the surviving Squat Brotherhoods which got integrated/annexed by the Imperium after Behemoth. :shrug:

E3: the new Necromunda Cawdor book has a squat in it and this seems to be the political situation. Which is good, I like having my Imperium being HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE IIIINNNNN SSSPPPPAAAACCCCEEE.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sodomy Hussein posted:

From what I can gather the Death Korps are actually clone babbies taught from birth that they need to go on a penitent crusade for the apocalypse that the Imperium caused, so... I have this ten-foot pole here but I'm not sure I want to use it for that.

Additionally, I'm not sure that "Algerians imported by the French to fight in Europe" is *quite* the historical look you want to go for?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think one of the saddest things is that GW's post-Chapterhouse "Nothing without a model" policy is that it intersected perfectly with GW gittin' gud again.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Wrong thread?

:confused:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 9, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I don't think the Ridge Runner is *that* doofy? It even has an undercarriage armor plate.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cease to Hope posted:

it's more the turret with a tiny traverse that still manages to clip another crewman in the head

In-universe I think it's supposed to be more-or-less the 40k version of a Hilux Technical and the crew spotter IIRC is optional wargear?

:shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cease to Hope posted:

yeah all of the new GSC vehicles are technicals or repurposed industrial equipment. although i think they can also just take IG stuff as brood brothers? i dunno, i don't know a lot about new GSC

Oh, here we go: the laser on the Ridge Runner is normally a mining laser so the limited traverse sort of makes sense.

The heavy stubbers look to be stock but that's probably the equivalent of honking in the Grimdarkness Of The Far Future?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

How much variation is there inbetween AdMech worlds cultures btw? I know the fluff from pre-heresy saying everything was very free and independent in ways, with forge worlds only owing a feudal allegiance to Mars and not much beyond that being universally enforced.
Does that change when Mars changed into the *Adeptus* Mechanicus? Or is it yet unexplored by authors?

Sorry for the basic lore questions heh! I mostly get the story from reading random fun novels and Occulus Imperia on YT.

On that subject: I honestly have a hard time understanding why anyone would look at (outed) fash "personalities" content still? There doesn't seem to be anything to gain from suffering through that?

Fake e: Occulus is really entertaining. Worth a link in case someone hasn't encountered it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM9zA0QAvhA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvWaOw-SoX4

I think that it's going to be similar to the medieval church: you have a nominal common doctrine and a inquisition-cognate if you get too far out of line (and get noticed doing so) but do you think that the Abbot of The Reliquary Of Saint Whomever-The-gently caress up at the rear end-end of Scotland (like where they have those little horses) gave a single gently caress about what the Pope said on a day-to-day basis and similarly, how many fucks do you think the Pope gave about Abbot John's chore schedule? (Even if Brother Bob had to scrub the pots last week too and why did Brother Tim get sweeping detail *again* rather than having to be on kitchen duty, and do you know what: I heard that Abbot John was "hearing Brother Tim's confession" for a whole hour last night in the confessional when no one else was around! :ssh:)

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 20, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

They don't cover what the Imperium thinks as a rule because the Imperium has very few coherent thoughts about anything as a rule. Every type of possible culture and belief system that could conceivably fall under the umbrella of the Imperial Cult exists. From Patriarchies to Matriarchies, Meritocracies to Dogocracies, all the way through to caveman tribes worshipping a wicker chair As a baseline though, there is no reason whatsoever that an average tech hive world is going to give a poo poo how anyone identifies, unless it is as a daemonhost. Because gender identity isn't an issue once you're at the corpse starch processing factory.
Same thing applies to the Ad-Mech, to a lesser extent.

And I don't think we should accept what professional racists say as 'fanon' just because they say it in their capacity as people who make money being racist.

I thought Oculus Imperia made the cut though? Are they bad actually?

:ohdear:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I’ve always thought the whole implantation schedule for spess mehreen initiates was a metaphor for puberty (this being an wargame for literal childes which I’ve somehow let follow me well into middle age)?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
At that point why not just go play infinity?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Also an literal 40k Zoat is being released in the next couple of weeks?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean, in Sister Act the nuns go out and paint that car and then sing a bunch. Same thing just with dudes and larger guns?

E: Less flip, there are secular orders of monks.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Filthy Hans posted:

the combat doctrines nerf came down mere weeks after the new Dark Angels stuff and it hit them particularly hard

a real cock punch

Good.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cease to Hope posted:

Guess which faction is the best.

Muties?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Freeblade is an goode gamme, possible to play/git gud at without spending money on.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's why back when I was trying to learn about 40k lore I preferred https://1d4chan.org/ which at least has some level of self-awareness.

You do have to filter out some of the more 4channy stuff, although on some level seeing the lore written out by people lapsing into immature or bigoted internet-speak gives it a little extra verisimilitude.

Yeah, for all the :tvtropes: poo poo on 1d4chan (and not to excuse this, either: it's really extremely bad) it's not up its own rear end the way Lexicanum is. Lex is also terrible on the FFG games (which has some of the best small-scale 40k lore ever written outside of Abnett's, IMO).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh yeah, the Wikia Fandom one is v.deece, it's just that most people have only heard of Lex (also I think Lex is the one that GW treats as semi-official if mentions at Warhammer Community count?)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

A toilet with the Lord of the Rings Soundtrack piped in because that's how they do there.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Thanks for the write-up. If you want the Citadel Journal stuff I can probably find it. I think there were rules for shipwrecked Imperial exploration teams who got sent to figure out :wtf: happened with Angelus?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bucnasti posted:

I love the idea of Gorkamorka but it sounds like the execution was pretty bad.
Maybe someday we'll get a proper re-make. I was hoping that's what Speed Freaks was going to be but alas it was just an excuse to sell new models.

:same:

It also really makes me sad how there's no customization anymore. Like, I know we're supposed to like GW now but that really loving sucks.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

aphid_licker posted:

A lot of the nerdgames I remember playing in the 90s just weren't very fun as games in retrospect.

It's because what we're actually doing when we remember having fun playing Gorkamorka (or early versions of 40k or whatever) was remembering what it was like to live in a world that wasn't hell-world and (in my case at least) what it was like to have models and friends who gamed.

:sigh:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think I speak for everyone when I say that what the 40k universe needs right now is a dance-off between Genestealer Familiars and Nurglings.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
For being dark-winged he's sure got some blonde feathering going on right there?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Goblin Green with flock is real and strong and my friend.

:colbert:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Morkdamned yoofs these days got no fethin' respect for they's elders!

:orks101:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think I have the confrontation rules as PDFs somewhere? They were spread over 6 issues between WD130 and 142 IIRC?

Not to :filez: it or anything but these are never-reprinted magazines from 30 years ago?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
"Zoats as Tyranid ambassadors" never made any sense, even by the (extraordinarily relaxed) standards of Rogue Trader-era fluff.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Do the Word Bears view the Fab Four as part of a polythesitc Chaos Pantheon or are they monotheistic like it's all aspects of Big Boi Chaos?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

but I always wanted a chainaxe and bolter.

gently caress, same.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. the Nids dont need a "face" really and the cults cover that territory well enough in an interesting/darkly tragic way.

god, i hope its not just poxwalkers. i love nurgle but i hate how overused he and his minions are in video games. like i get he is sorta the easiest one to do but i want some genestealer cultists and just random chaos assholes.

I legit want to see more GSCs in 40k media. They're loving relevant af to the modern goddamn world (the risks of ethnonationalism which cloaks itself in false populism &c. &c.)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tulip posted:

OK, fair shakes, it still bugs me that they live in a low-food environment while having massive calorie demands. It's not like a big deal it's just the sort of thing that shakes my disbelief in a way that eelknights don't.

Look, a lot of pilgrims go up the 7000 steps, ok?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Snail Information posted:

I always read the genestealers as being evil union workers/workers rising up etc.

Like they are styled as miners or bikers and use improvised mining equipment as weapons.

Actually the GSC are about the ethnonationalism of late sweeping the world, in particular the false populism it cloaks its fascism with, OP?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

aphid_licker posted:

That reminds me more of that fascist propaganda trope of unions/commies being infiltrators bent on capturing and destroying the state in service of their masters in Moscow than ethnonationalism

No, it's about how self-consciously proletarian organizations are used to advance far-right agendas.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I guess I'm thinking more of proletarian rightists like whatever all those soccer fans were into in the 1980s or some poo poo where their narratives of class solidarity are predicated on the notion of shared (genetic) purity.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
As is the invariable outcome for rightist proletarians who join the cause of they who would consume them (Capitalists).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Snail Information posted:

It's not so tragic for them at least. The lure of the cult is that if you're a real good cultist then your god will look favorably on you and you'll become part of god, like you mutate so much you turn into a hive controlled tyranid. So if you don't quite make it that far up the ranks, well worry not fellow cultist, because you get to be gods nourishment. You get to die knowing that your god is gaining sustenance from you and that your actions helped your god feed on the planet you lived on. It feels like a far better deal than what the chaos cultists get.

I don't think they really mutate, exactly? It's more of a strict generational-based hierarchy or some poo poo (and which also makes no sense, even by the standards of 40k science)?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Angry Lobster posted:

I think you have it in reverse, the first generations originating from the patriarch are either purestrain genestealers or monstruous hybrids and the later ones could pass as almost humans.

Yeah but then they make purestrains in the 5th Generation which is loving stupid.

IIRC the Patriarch is just "whichever Genestealer ovipositor'ed someone first" it's not like a separate species, he's just big and old.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels like you're overthinking it at least way more than the writers; Genestealer cults are basically long-form chestbursters.

Actually might be interesting to see non-human equivalents, though I imagine the Tau have a closer surveillance on their culture that genetic fuckery doesn't go under the radar. (now that says a loving lot, doesn't it?)

I mean, this is from Xenology which is the most "sciency" of the Background Books I'm aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
See the way I skulgun it is: Lictors are local xenomorph queens who (after eating brains of the local sentient species) spawn Genestealers who have the ability to create hybrids from the locals, that way you don't have to do the 5th Generation Regression "OH LOOK, NEW PURESTRAIN GENESTEALERS, SOMEHOW!" (which, as mentioned, makes no loving sense even by the standards of 40k)?

E: It especially makes sense because IIRC Genestealers aren't Synapse creatures (historically they've been immune *to* synapse effects but they don't give the bubble of control) while Tyranid Warriors are, and Lictors are genetic variants of the Warrior so they provide the Hive Mind uplink?