Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cease to Hope posted:

It really depends. The core books and codices went through a long period of scrubbing any trace of humor, irony, or self-mockery, in both "fluff" text and actual rules. Some good examples are how the Machine Spirit goes from a mockery of Imperial ignorance to an actual thing that demonstrably exists and even makes some units more effective in the game proper, or how "Red onez go faster" goes from a superstition to an actual game effect explained as a psychic power driven by collective Ork psychic power. There's also a real shift around the Imperial Guard, where they go from tragic or tragicomic to just straight unironic oorah "first and last line of defense" heroic sacrifice stuff around 4th-5th edition and the increasing emphasis on Cadia. (It's interesting how the online community resists this change! Flashlight memes last a lot longer than the tragicomedy in the IG codices.)

Y’all need to be reading the Regimental Standard.

https://regimental-standard.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Look at the massive groups of WH40k fans who unironically believe fascism is a good thing and will cite the space shootman lore as proof of their convictions.

Yeah, it's a thing.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah, this one was honestly satire, but it's not very good satire since most of the MAGA crowd were like "gently caress yeah, emperor trump."

I don't know who first said it, but there's a quote I really like: "Satire requires a clarity of purpose and target lest it be mistaken for and contribute to that which it intends to criticize."

WH40k lost that clarity of purpose a long time ago.

I only saw the responses.

On the flip side there's also this from the company itself:

https://twitter.com/WarComTeam/status/1268665798467432449?s=20

"You will not be missed" is the new rally cry.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Even if you want to have the most cynical take on the matter, that message means that some accountant in an office in Nottingham did the math and determined that the money made by being inclusive AND calling out chuds was greater than the money lost to chuds abandoning them. That is a good thing no matter what the motivation was.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

in the fiction, gargants barely work, even by the extremely low standards of titans "working". i don't know the forge world rules for 28mm scale gargants (are there even any rules?) but in 5mm Epic their shields didn't regenerate, and their weapons were prone to failure.

plus, orks do actually build trucks and battlewagons and mekork bodies and dreadnaughts and such. they're just all weird bespoke one-offs in the fiction, contrasted with the other factions that can actually mass-produce their vehicles.

Plus a lot of the actual work is done by Grot slaves.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

iirc the official policy is that time itself isn't consistent in the setting, let alone records of what happened and how

like there was a 'small' war brewing over time keeping around when a primarch returned and wanted them to get things straightened out

this is way more interesting and realistic than 'cannon,' and gently caress anyone holding up star wars as how things should be done

Also everything is told from the point of view of unreliable narrators.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I love the idea of Gorkamorka but it sounds like the execution was pretty bad.
Maybe someday we'll get a proper re-make. I was hoping that's what Speed Freaks was going to be but alas it was just an excuse to sell new models.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

JackMann posted:

You're thinking of Arch. An arc is a big boat used to save animals from a flood.

No no no, you're thinking of an Ark. An arc is the box that Indian Jones found in Egypt.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Roth posted:

That is true. I mostly skim the thread, so I was wondering if posters here want to just talk about stuff like painting figures and the like.

There are threads in other sub forums for various specific aspects of 40k already.

The book barn has a thread for Black Library books.

Trad Games has a 40k Games thread

Trad Games also has a miniatures painting thread.

There's also a thread for 30K

and 40K roleplaying

There's probably some threads for the various vidjia gaems...

And somewhere out there is a thread specifically about Fascists in Tabletop Gaming, but it might have been nuked by now as it got pretty outta control.

I like that this thread is just generally about the setting itself.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The Orks are the good guys in 40k. This thread needs more dakka.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Love beastmen in fantasy and old 40k.

Before you start a new 40k faction you should probably come up with some slightly original playstyle gimmick for them. e: ^^^^ yeah or throw in some allies or auxiliaries with the existing factions, that would be a nice way to test the waters.

GW has said in the past that they will only add new playable factions unless they have unique gameplay or bring something else to the game-table that other factions don't. That's specifically the reason they say they're not going to bring back squats as they're just short Imperial Guard. That's probably also why they don't do Dark Mechanicus and Traitor Guard (although it doesn't really explain why they did Chaos Knights).

Of course with stratagems and such in 8th/9th edition it's easy to make a new army that plays different than an existing one while keeping the core the same so who knows.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I seem to recall a "prototype" primaris being in one of the books, like as Cawl's personal assistant or something, and he had been around for hundreds of years already, who's to say there weren't more at some point.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Chris Pistols posted:

I've been a longtime lurker in these threads (I miss Moola the Threadnought). I've never been into the miniatures side of this thing, but got hooked on the original Dawn of War. I love Event Horizon and the idea that it's a good representation of man discovering chaos in 40K.

I picked up the first 2 copies of Mortal Realms (https://www.warhammermortalrealms.com/) on a cheap whim from the newsagent and am disgusted how simple & pleasurable it was to fit the kits together.

I'm cack-handed and don't want to ruin models with my own painting, but I'm also keen on seeing what else is out there. Is Dawn of War 3 as poo poo as people say? Are any of the books good as pulp reads? Are there any other good 40K adjacent films? How can I play Space Marine again on PS4? Do Kroot and Tau REALLY stand as one? Should I buy a 40K kit to click together and stare at unpainted?

Painting Minis is not nearly as difficult as people make it out to be in their own minds. You don't need especially steady hands, keen eyesight or some sort of artist X-gene. You just need some basic supplies, a well lit level surface to work on and a bit of time. There are tons of youtube videos that will walk you through the entire process. Grab a learn to paint set which comes with everything you need and give it a try, you'll probably surprise yourself, and if not, it's easy enough to strip paint off of plastic models and try again.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Nobody should be jumping into Warhammer by buying an entire 2000 point army, that’s lunacy.
GW has multiple stand alone boxed sets at a variety of reasonable price points for people to get started with.

Find a friend who is also miniatures-curious split the cost of a starter box and you’ll be in for around $50 each.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The Orks are the good guys in 40k.

Lots of people joke about it, but I think it's true. Orks are the only faction (except maybe Tryanids) who are honest with themselves. Every other faction hides behind some justification for their atrocities.

Part of the core of the 40k setting is that everything is bad, it's not just the 40th Millennium, it's The Grim Darkness of the 40th Millennium. It's important that everything is bad all the time, so that when someone rises up and fights against it, even if the fight is futile and the results are only fleeting, it's an act of monumental heroism. Individuals can be good and pure, they are bright shining points of light that briefly light up the universe so we can see how dark it really is.

If you take that away, you're just left with a pastiche of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Actually “we killed them because the whole planet might turn into a portal to hell” is slightly better than “we just wanted to kill them” :colbert:

It’s kind of a problem with the “bad imperium” reading; a lot of what they do actually is justifiable from a utilitarian perspective. It’s like how dragon age games try to make you sympathetic to the oppression of mages but every time they get free reign, they do turn into murderous reality warping demons that the player has to slay en masse.

But Chaos festers in secrecy and continues to thrive because it feeds on human misery and hatred. Exterminatus is like using bullets to seal a bleeding wound.
The Interex showed that if humanity was enlightened and open about chaos that it could be safely kept at bay. So of course the Imperium destroyed the Interex, because anything good in 40k is doomed.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Barudak posted:

Now I want a traitor legion that due to effects of the warp are convinced Chaos are the remnants of those who were loyal to the emperor and that Imperium are the true forces of Chaos and absolutely nobody in the imperium wants to correct them.

In older stuff it’s heavily implied that this is what all Chaos Space Marines believe. Hence their warcry “Death to the False Emperor”. As they fleshed out the legions and the Horus Heresy it fell by the wayside.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

When I started playing, Tau weren’t very old and we all considered them to be “good guys”. I don’t think the Etherial mind control aspects of their story had been revealed yet, or maybe only hinted at.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Or Catchachans from their death world jungle makes them exceptional jungle fighters. I've heard people ask why they're not turned into Marines and the offical answer was they were to technologically advanced to make proper marines?

Nothing about Catchachans makes sense if you think about it for even a second...
They come from a death world where every living thing is trying to kill the all the time, they. can’t have cities because the jungle literally eats them. So everyone is Rambo all day everyday. The planet has no mineral resources (except enough metal to make their Rambo knives) and can’t be used for agriculture of any kind, so the only way they can fulfill their imperial tithes is by providing guard regiments full of 80s action movie tough guys and gals. So if the place is so deadly and resource poor why does anyone live there at all let alone how the hell do enough people survive that they can fill a single regiment?

Because gently caress you. A planet full of Schwarzenegger’s is cool that’s why. It’s peak 40k and I love it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

How has it gotten worse?

I mean IMO 50k should just be everyone's dead except Orks and Tyranids who fight forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The only music in the 40k universe is 80's Hair Metal.