Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've seen "Dukat did nothing wrong" posted unironically so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Wow yeah the whole Arc thing is pretty crazy. Dude had a full on meltdown for his right to be a shitheel and felt called out by the gw statement and is organizing a troll campaign.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Aww you guys/gals/lesser daemonettes. :kimchi:

Way late to the party, but uh any of you hear the buzz about turning Eisenhorn into a show?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah the roni really is wrecking a lot. I'm hopeful that after the plague is dealt with it's full steam ahead on that. Those books were what got me into wh.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

That's great. I always thought that was some random guy at a tournament or something.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I haven't fielded an army in years but it's still fun to talk shop about the books and lore. Honestly moreso than playing the game. There's a tabletop subforum for that anyways.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

The ‘no good guys’ shtick has aged badly now we really do live in that kind of world.

For real.

I'm not caught up with the newer stuff so correct me if this is wrong, but weren't Gulliman and Russ' returns spent fighting against the totalitarian/fascist aspects of the imperium while still engaged in fighting its wars or did that already get retconned?

Edit: phone posting typo fixed

frogge fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 22, 2020

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I dunno about y'all but I can't imagine that a just, egalitarian society in the WH40K setting is going to do much more than get steamrolled by those that are built around and focus most if not all of their efforts on endless war. Original intent as satire or not that's the state of things. Which is certainly a huge aspect of the grimdark- that peace is only temporary at best and foolish at worst for any of the factions that consider it.
They're all empires living out the dark forest hypothesis but the scale of each is such that they're well aware of each other but are still trying to wipe each other out.
No one's gonna buy figurines for a wargame if there's no battles to fight and the lore is just a tool to justify why players are fighting each other. WH40K is not a universe about building cities or getting along with fellow sentient beings, but one of war and destruction taken to extremes.

frogge fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 22, 2020

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

Actually the Tau were in the game and rocked so hard for about 2 editions people still bitch about them ruining the established theme and being terribly unfun to play against to this day, even though I think they've been irrelevant for like a decade+, folks were so mad that there was a new faction that was introduced as good guys fighting for a better tomorrow and straight up hard countered space marines.
Later on they introduced lore that made the Tau more sinister though, like implying they're not really harmonious and instead their leadership caste is just mind controlling everyone.

Yeah the Tau were way more interesting before they got the "Everyone is the bad guy" grimdark treatment, and I can see why people were upset before- they wanted to feel that on some level the wars their armies were fighting were morally justified and the only not evil-on-some-level faction kinda put that all into question. I almost converted my IG army into a Tau gue'la army but then stopped playing and sold my units.

Flytrap posted:

Admittedly I am a very, very new convert to this franchise but I can't say I'm really all that bothered by the constant grimdark hyper dark sad setting, but that might be because I...can't really take it seriously? Every new plot point I find that's meant to make the setting even darker and even more depression only makes me laugh harder because of course it got dumber. The technology of the universe is kept running by a society of NEETs with cyber dongs that they keep trying to gently caress robot pharaohs with. The second most powerful military force does battle with flaming pianos that fire missiles as you play. The sheer scale of every single fight involving eleventy zillion guardsmen dying per attosecond as demons made of literal hyperfuck kill them with killer rock guitar solos.

Like I'm not here for the pathos, I'm here for the absurd spectacle.

Yeah that's what it's all about. It's not meant to be a deep dive into philosophy and the human condition and all of that. It's meant to sell plasteel toys that people play fight each other with over a few beers on the down low for fun on a weekend. The books are entertaining schlock meant to sell more of those toys.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

:ssh:

But this is what sucks so incredibly bad about Chaos. They're supposed to be chaotic, supposed to be constantly changing balls of tumorous mutation. Despite this, there are only ever four gods, and every faction has an even more rigidly defined unit composition and battlefield specialty than most non-Chaotic factions. Every time GW gets it in their head to split up Chaos into yet another faction or makes them the bad guys in yet another new game, Chaos ends up being even more rigid and even less varied.

Maybe that's what chaos wants you to think because everyone laughs at them for being different and they laugh because everyone else is the same. No mom I'm not ready to be picked up from the mall, etc. :emo:

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

RickRogers posted:

Yeah, I get the general feeling think there is a big debate starting/started up in the wider community. I don't have too much to do with it as I have never come across alt right players and I do not care to visit the stores anyway.
This article is the first 'main stream' one I have come across recently on the topic, but it's just too basic and lacking in understanding, I'm not sure who it's for. The picture at the top is cute though.

I thought it was fine to explain the basics for folks outside of the niche gaming community but yeah it does seem to lack nuance and specificity.

I bet we're going to see a lot more things like it. There's a huge ongoing discussion about representation making waves throughout a lot of fantasy/sci fi fandoms as well. Wizards of the coast banned some racist cards made by an out racist and like with gw's statement the worst people ever complained. Then the depictions of fantasy races in d&d are getting reviewed/updated as well. Which is all good, really, because the more inclusive nerd fandoms are the less they're a recruiting ground for racists.

Several episodes of the behind the bastards podcast cover the deliberate infiltration of tabletop and video gaming communities by racist terror groups, so the question is how do we prevent that? Obviously much larger issue than a single gaming community or corporate statement/policy will be able to deal with.

frogge fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 15, 2020

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Tulip posted:

I mean, we're years past out and proud neonazis declaring gaming "the greatest recruiting tool," so it's well established as a phenomenon. The article in question actually highlights what is really the best antidote - members of the community in a clear and loud fashion saying 'fascists out.' The cooperation of the more-powerful in the community (e.g. corporations that produce/manage content) is certainly helpful, but that cooperation doesn't happen without members of the community arguing for it anyway. So groups like the ones highlighted in the vice article are good and useful.

For sure. I was thinking about nerd fandom at large and it seems like it's mostly franchise to franchise specific groups doing the good work rather than a unified fandom movement. Better starting somewhere than never starting, of course.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

They wouldn't be. Rowling hates transhumans.

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

I don’t think he can walk back the ironic fascism since the space marines are literal ubermench. They might be able to make the inquisition into something that reflects the actual inquisition as being full of poo poo and a terrible thing but I doubt they want to cast the imperium of man in the light of what it actually is. there’s really no good way to walk it back. and they’ve realized what they’ve done because they’re actively telling their nazi fans to gently caress off but there’s not a good way to rework the whole mythos without redefining everything they’ve done over the last 40 years.

I think that's why along with pushing the timeline forward they're also bringing back primarchs who see everything and are like, "wait, no, what the gently caress are you all doing? This isn't what the emperor wanted" to set the stage for changes going forward. Easier to change the future than rewrite the past.