Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
fuckit reading the webtoon, going to webtoon thread, this episode was too much. so long suckers!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
That was some weird Hisoka vibes coming from Ren in his first attack against Princess Yuri.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Can Rachel stop being mean to Bam for like 5 minutes?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I guess it's now safe to respond to this post to say: don't worry, Tower of God has you covered. :v:

Monkey paw's finger closes

Seriously, gently caress Rachel.

It's not even like this was some spur of the moment thing she could have done here. She had to be planning to betray him for a while, at least since she was injured since she was pretending to be unable to walk.

Like I can't even envision a self interested reason for her to do this. Pretending to be injured just jeopardized her ability to pass this test without Baam coming to her rescue. She had no idea what test the administrator would have them do, or even if it would permit a test. She had no idea if the test that they got would put her in a position to betray Baam, or that if a betrayal would prevent her from moving on.

Like the only possible impetus I can see for her here was a specific desire to gently caress over our beautiful innocent baby Baam.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

AtomikKrab posted:

I don't remember the bull being that gently caress HUGE.

He was. He grew in the intensified shinsoo for the same reason Baam got stronger/glowy hands.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
More like Tower of Betrayal amirite fellas hahahaha

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Entire webtoon thread has been watching y'all like :sickos: this whole time

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Shugojin posted:

Entire webtoon thread has been watching y'all like :sickos: this whole time

Well yeah, they had to EXPERIENCE IT.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
That BITCH

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I maintain my stance that she is an irredeemable rear end in a top hat, as has been apparent all along.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Not a coincidence she has snake eyes

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Omg that was a gasp and a half moment! Very well done and I didn't see it coming at all.

Also very nice to see Yuri slap the hell out of shopping bag guy, he was a dick.

SO many new threads this episode, can't wait to find stuff out.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
This is to much. I have to wait another whole loving week!?

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Man, I should've known everything in this episode went TOO well. What an episode

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Never let you go
Never let you go

:push:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I have to say, as a webtoon reader, I was hoping they'd end the season here to make demand for a second season even greater.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
that's cold, lady

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Starting to think Rachel might not have Bam's best interests at heart.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

And now no-one (in the main cast) has a magic sword.

I guess Bam could still just, like, swim up to the thingy.

paragon1 posted:

Starting to think Rachel might not have Bam's best interests at heart.

Ehh... I'm still betting on "she's involved in something shady and doesn't want to involve him"

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

She's just going to keep doing worse and worse stuff, and people are just going to blindly keep up the hope that she must be doing them all for good reasons, resurrecting the corpse of Adolf Hitler was vital for...some...plan for...um...good, you see.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Bye Bam, see you next FALL!

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Anyway, I hope this gets a second season.

Partly because I want to see more of this story, but mostly because this show being successful marginally increases the chance of a Mage & Demon Queen anime.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Dzhay posted:

And now no-one (in the main cast) has a magic sword.

I guess Bam could still just, like, swim up to the thingy.

Ehh... I'm still betting on "she's involved in something shady and doesn't want to involve him"

In the web toon she does apologize as she's pushing him off.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Considering how many times Rachel has seemed to get injured because of Baam im not sure id blame her for pushing Baam off.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I'm not sure I buy "betraying to keep him from whatever shady business she has" when she just pushed him into a giant underground lake which (at the moment) Bam has no way out of and is sinking into in unconsciousness having already gotten beaten up and exhausted from fighting the Bull.

Also for real I could atleast buy like, self interest or fear of Bam if she had done this when the Bull was around as a "I just need to be faster then you"/"it's after you not me" thing but this just seems... dickish.

As someone else mentioned, she's been planning a lie for a while since she faked being paraplegic just to... what, lure Bam into an elaborate betrayal trap?

Given that Bam turned into Shinsu in the crown game I'm guessing he's going to do something similar here to escape death since I somewhat doubt the show is going to kill off Baam here, and the way they've set up this test precludes a "you failed the test but live!" scenario given the Administrator test seems to just straight up be "haha get hosed you lose you die" and they're "not allowed to interfere".

Gonna be real dissapointed in Bam/this show if he's still clinging to the idea of Rachel after this though. At the very least the motley gang should slap the poo poo out of him if the word "Rachel" is not promptly followed by "is a bitch" out of his lips.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Think about it this way. You're nice to this random guy you meet, and he calls you his stars or his light or whatever. You brush him off because, hey, he looks like he's been stuck in this cave for a while. Besides, you have a tower to climb - once you enter it, you'll never see him again, anyways.

But then, he chases after you, constantly telling people that he entered the tower for you, etc. You try to distance yourself from him, hoping he'll get the hint, but he doesn't. He goes and makes friends with every single regular, so you isolate yourself. He's too naive and nice for you to tell off, and if you do you bet your rear end his new friends won't take it kindly.

So you shove him off a platform after he saves your rear end for the millionth time. :allears:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Has any of the saving her rear end involved Baam not being the cause of the need to be saved in the first place? First time was the king of the hill fight where she was there to save his stupid rear end. Second was the tag fight where a random dude who was mad at Baam stabs Rachel as a way to get rid of Baam. Like people are already using her as a way to get rid of Baam. Hell its going to get even worse from here, Baam just admitted to everyone he is an outsider. So instead of just self interest now people just have general hate as a reason to stab Rachel to get Baam to leave.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Something that was changed in the anime, and in fact appears to also be mistranslated in the current official webtoon, is after the push, Rachel says "Sorry Bam, but you should die here" as he falls and boy is that a lot to add on top of that scene.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Iretep posted:

Has any of the saving her rear end involved Baam not being the cause of the need to be saved in the first place? First time was the king of the hill fight where she was there to save his stupid rear end. Second was the tag fight where a random dude who was mad at Baam stabs Rachel as a way to get rid of Baam. Like people are already using her as a way to get rid of Baam. Hell its going to get even worse from here, Baam just admitted to everyone he is an outsider. So instead of just self interest now people just have general hate as a reason to stab Rachel to get Baam to leave.

I don't believe she was targeted in the crown game because of Baam. We don't really know why that girl tried to attack Rachel. We do know the dwarf knows her however. I guess she's some sort of guide like him? I don't know what she's doing climbing the tower.

Rachel has a lot of mysterious stuff going on around her. The disappearing red guy, the navigator who attacked her. Her extraordinary strength in her class. She was, apparently, the strongest one in her group. Though of course we were never shown this, just told it. As I understand it she was a shoe-in to pass the previous test regardless of whether her team succeeded or not.

I'm just really mystified as to what game she's playing here. Unless she's made some sort of deal with coffee drinking guy to play a long con on Baam,I just don't see what possible aim she could have been pursuing here.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't believe she was targeted in the crown game because of Baam. We don't really know why that girl tried to attack Rachel. We do know the dwarf knows her however. I guess she's some sort of guide like him? I don't know what she's doing climbing the tower.

Rachel has a lot of mysterious stuff going on around her. The disappearing red guy, the navigator who attacked her. Her extraordinary strength in her class. She was, apparently, the strongest one in her group. Though of course we were never shown this, just told it. As I understand it she was a shoe-in to pass the previous test regardless of whether her team succeeded or not.

I'm just really mystified as to what game she's playing here. Unless she's made some sort of deal with coffee drinking guy to play a long con on Baam,I just don't see what possible aim she could have been pursuing here.

If she intedends to kill Baam here then itd change a lot. Since itd mean she went after Baam to prevent him from going up the tower no matter the cost instead of trying to keep Baam safe. If she wanted to just climb the tower and didnt care about Baams life then she could have easily ignored Baam i think and climbed up.
Basically this story might be funnier than i expected. Rachel wants to climb the tower but doesent want the thermal nuke Baam to follower her but Baam is too stupid to stop following her.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 19, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Iretep posted:

If she intedends to kill Baam here then itd change a lot. Since itd mean she went after Baam to prevent him from going up the tower no matter the cost instead of trying to keep Baam safe. If she wanted to just climb the tower and didnt care about Baams life then she could have easily ignored Baam i think and climbed up.
Basically this story might be funnier than i expected. Rachel wants to climb the tower but doesent want the thermal nuke Baam to follower her but but Baam is too stupid to stop following her.

I guess? If she was creeped out by Baam's simping maybe. I don't really see another motivation for her to want to kill him though. I mean she went out of her way to meet up and compete with his team in the crown game. As I understand it she was previously with a different group climbing the tower on the same floor. And would otherwise have not encountered him at all.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

I guess? If she was creeped out by Baam's simping maybe. I don't really see another motivation for her to want to kill him though. I mean she went out of her way to meet up and compete with his team in the crown game. As I understand it she was previously with a different group climbing the tower on the same floor. And would otherwise have not encountered him at all.

If Bam's team won they would have passed the test and gone on to the real tower. Rachel could have been trying to get rid of him from the beginning.

Another weird thing I didn't notice on the first view is during the Crown game, the staff lady goes for Rachel instead of Bam. That really doesn't make any sense if she was trying to win. But honestly I don't know, I didn't see this coming at all.

My thinking before this week was Rachel was some how connected to the Black March and I was expecting her to get killed not stand up and push Bam. But that was just because in the distorted view of her in the flash back in the Crown Game, she has 3 eyes just like the symbol on the Black March.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I read the manga and took a break like.....1 year ago? But the anime is good as a refresher and to cast some things in a new light that cant be easily translated into a still image.

Rachel was shaking with rage before Bam was like "Its ok", right?

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Iretep posted:

Has any of the saving her rear end involved Baam not being the cause of the need to be saved in the first place?

Fair point, the Bull attacking them was also sort of on Bam. Re: Crown Game, she was attacked for protecting Bam?

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Some real mental gymnastics going on to try and blame Rachels behavior on Baam. Like WTF, Baam was a child living in rags in a loving cave who didn't know how to read or right and couldn't speak.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

TowerofOil posted:

Some real mental gymnastics going on to try and blame Rachels behavior on Baam. Like WTF, Baam was a child living in rags in a loving cave who didn't know how to read or right and couldn't speak.

But have you considered everything is his fault for becoming attached to literally the only other human he'd ever met?

Also, I don't buy the "Bam's affection is one way" thing, considering that it was shown that one of Rachel's bigger anxieties was Bam getting other friends and not caring about/needing her anymore.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

There's a few ways her binge eating of chocolate and other behaviors prior to being injured could have been read.

For instance we could assume that she was offered a shortcut of the tower if she offed Baam. She could have been struggling for the first half of this season about whether to go through with it or not. She was avoiding Baam in an effort to avoid having to make a decision. When it became apparent that Baam knew who she was, and that people were coming after her because of her relationship with him she decided to go ahead with the deal and off him in exchange for the shortcut.

I would reference the heartfelt scene where she apologizes for how much she has changed shortly after the injury and essentially tells him that he should forget about her. However as far as I can tell this scene is not in the original webtoon. We also know now that throughout the entire scene she was lying to him about being permanently injured.

On the other hand, her behavior prior to this could have been seen as naive attempts to deceive Baam to get opportunities to betray him later. She may not be terribly competent as an assassin.And her eating of chocolate and other antisocial behaviors were due to her frustration at being unable to accomplish her goal of getting rid of Baam. She may have been trying this whole time with her grand plan to off him keeping her identity a "secret" and then deceiving him again as a paraplegic later after being injured is yet another way to get close enough to him.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

AnoHito posted:

But have you considered everything is his fault for becoming attached to literally the only other human he'd ever met?

Also, I don't buy the "Bam's affection is one way" thing, considering that it was shown that one of Rachel's bigger anxieties was Bam getting other friends and not caring about/needing her anymore.

You probably need a good team to climb the tower. Bam grabbing all the best people could be standing in the way of her getting to the top.

Or maybe she is just a poo poo person for some reason took pity on Bam. All her lessons and teaching Bam to be a good person was teaching him not to be like her. She may see his goodness as a weakness making it harder for everyone to reach the top.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

axelord posted:

You probably need a good team to climb the tower. Bam grabbing all the best people could be standing in the way of her getting to the top.

Or maybe she is just a poo poo person for some reason took pity on Bam. All her lessons and teaching Bam to be a good person was teaching him not to be like her. She may see his goodness as a weakness making it harder for everyone to reach the top.

That doesn't really make sense either though since the unifying factor of the "team" was Khun/Anaak/etc and their love of Bam. Without him, quite possible that for example Anaak and the other Jahaad Princess just gently caress off to eat lunch.

Like yeah, if they stay together maybe they'll pity take Rachel to start with but her lie here is that she's a paraplegic dead weight, so either she has to be Miraculously Healed or she's going to be first on the chopping block because no one in the team feels the way Bam did about her and so no one has any real motivation to carry her (both metaphorically and literally).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

limeicebreakers posted:

Think about it this way. You're nice to this random guy you meet, and he calls you his stars or his light or whatever. You brush him off because, hey, he looks like he's been stuck in this cave for a while. Besides, you have a tower to climb - once you enter it, you'll never see him again, anyways.

But then, he chases after you, constantly telling people that he entered the tower for you, etc. You try to distance yourself from him, hoping he'll get the hint, but he doesn't. He goes and makes friends with every single regular, so you isolate yourself. He's too naive and nice for you to tell off, and if you do you bet your rear end his new friends won't take it kindly.

So you shove him off a platform after he saves your rear end for the millionth time. :allears:

In fairness, Rachel didn't just meet Bam -- she basically raised and socialized him. (This is a little clearer in the comics where early on he talks about e.g. her literally teaching him language and so on.)