Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
:siren: PLAY OFFWORLD MULTIPLAYER FREE :siren: (just post in the thread or PM me and we can set up proper unranked learning games with a myriad of fun features such as realtime-pause and seeded maps)

reignofevil posted:

I'VE SOLVED THE CASE... PROBABLY

quote:

I've got two free client keys for whoevever wants them. After these are depleted you can have a free key by subscribing to the mohawk newsletter at https://www.mohawkgames.com/ the email comes really fast then you can unsubscribe and go about your day.

Are you stuck inside? Of course you are! Well then it's the perfect time to learn about the fantastic micro-economics game Offworld Trading Company! You can buy! You can sell! You can drive your enemies into massive debt and enact a leveraged buyout of their corporate assets!

Wait, come back. I'm serious. This game is an incredible use of your time and you will not regret giving it at least a casual glance before you run away to go virtually shoot something!

SO LET'S LEARN SOME OFFWORLD

Now I'll happily go into detail on the singleplayer aspects of Offworld but for reason to be explained later we're going to be discussing how offworld works at its best, when competing with an actual thinking human opponent. The AI is not to be sneezed at in this game but it can't make predictive evaluations when humans, occasionally, can. There are also a few gameplay caveats that for whatever reason were never implemented for the AI to use and thus are absent from the single player game. So primarily for these reasons I'll be explaining how to play this game at a competitive level against opponents who know as much or more about the game than you do and are more than intent on cutting your throat. Financially speaking.

The above is the loading screen. Offworld has some very nice pictures. The circled bit is where we establish important fact 1 about learning offworld. Player names are obscured in a ranked free for all game. Throughout the game until they have been eliminated (or there is only one opponent left for you to face) players are given aliases that mean the people you're playing don't know precisely who you are and you don't know precisely who they are. This has several knock on impacts that will receive more detail in its own post later. In a ranked one versus one both players will be able to see each-other's names, basically any time there is only yourself and one other person in the game you will know who you are playing against.

The names for a four person free for all are Asimov, Clark, Herbert and Bradbury. Sometimes people new to the game get confused and think their games are being populated by bots or that the game only has four players in the community. Instead it has five players.

All of these screenshots are taken from an actual multiplayer game that I participated in last night.

Okay. We have a bit of a pill to swallow, so lets get it out of the way.

THE USER INTERFACE

Okay now let me explain. Try to focus your eyes past the million buttons and see that there is a martian Ceres landscape with some buildings there. Okay now that you've taken that in I'm going to explain the buttons.

A) This is a timer present in standard ranked multiplayer games of offworld and will be going away once we get out of the founding phase. Starting earlier means you have your pick of resources but you found with more debt. Debt can either be a game killer or not a problem at all depending on how you've positioned yourself financially which seems to be a decent balance to me. We'll talk more about founding and what debt does later.

B) This is the commodities market. Every resource in the game has a price that goes up when people are buying it and goes down when people are selling it. This is the tide that the entire game turns upon. Selling makes prices go down because the available supply to the neutral colony is being increased which means their demand has been reduced and price has been reduced accordingly. We'll talk more about this later but for now just know that making buildings costs resources from this market, making more complex products like microchips will require resources from this market. The neutral colony is constantly demanding an increasing trickle of resources from this market. All of these things can make you money if you can predict for them.

C) This is where you pick how you're going to start the game. There are six available headquarters types which all have different strengths, resource needs and abilities. You will always receive four options and all of the players in the game receive the same options.

D) This is the black market. These are randomized for each game and they are how to attack other players directly and other shady poo poo. On the far right is the primary defensive ability in the game, the Goonsquad. This means almost any black market that someone tries to use on a single tile of your choice will be stopped, and even better you get a free use of the black market attack you just intercepted and told who used it on you. Sweet revenge. A full writeup will be provided.

E) This is the button you need to press to win the game. The bars represent every company's share control. You need to buy at least six of these in someone else to knock them out of the game, giving you majority ownership in their company. To secure yourself against this you need to purchase three shares in yourself before an opponent can do this. If you secure your own stock your opponent can buy it out from under you if they pay twice what it's worth and once an opponent has your stock you can't repurchase it unless they sell the shares. This is to prevent players from endlessly buying the same shares back and forth from eachother. If someone owns your shares you need to buy them and knock them out of the game to get your shares back.

F) The neutral colony: This demands resources based on what buildings it is constructing. European colonies tend to demand more chemicals. American colonies more power. Asian colonies more... Glass? Russian colonies want microchips.

NEXT TIME, HOW THE gently caress DO I FOUND AN HQ

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
HQ AND U

This is the Robotic HQ. It uses steel, aluminum (needs less of this than most aluminum users) and electronics (microchips). When an HQ "needs" certain resources it means you can't upgrade your HQ level unless you get the requisite amounts of each by either making or buying them. Upgrading means more claims which means more plots of land to put buildings down on.

We will list their abilities in the order that is most important to me when deciding whether I'm choosing them.

Robot abilities:

1) More adjacency bonuses. Basically all buildings of the same type get very powerful bonuses to their production just by being located in adjacent tiles. Robots have the passive ability to make use of buildings that provide an input resource to get even MORE adjacency bonus. The simplest example is an iron mine provides iron for steel mills, which robots will need to upgrade their HQ almost all of the time. So because iron is an input resource with a steel mill it means an adjacent steel mill will produce +50% more good per second than it would have otherwise. Power is an input resource in almost every kind of building and so robots can do some very interesting things by locating their industries and their power close together but this also makes them very vulnerable to attacks.

2) Doesn't require life support. All other HQ's, once upgraded to level two and above, consume a small amount of oxygen, food and water in addition to the power requirements of their buildings. Robots don't need any of this and under certain rare circumstances they can go entire games without ever entering the life support industry. Another way this can work in their favor is that other HQ's, when producing oxygen for example, are required to use some of it for breathing which they can't sell on the market as a result. When an HQ can not provide itself with life support it purchases it at market value from the neutral colony and debt is accrued. We'll talk more about the power economy and how robots factor into it later.

3) Shipping uses power instead of fuel. Anything that is not directly connected by tiles you own to your HQ needs to send a flying cargo carrier with resources back to your HQ before you get them. For robots instead of accruing debt via the fuel market when shipping they accrue debt via a cost to their power production, .2 for every ship. A solar panel will give you between .8 to 1.2 without any adjacency bonus and when the sun is shining, but you can see that it is much easier to produce power than to produce fuel and if you make the market price of power low enough you can essentially ship your goods for free and not worry at all about distance from your HQ.

4) When you DO eventually found an HQ, if you found them on resources you deny those resources to anyone else for the game and get a set amount of resources for every tile of it that you founded on. Robots get double what every other HQ gets for doing this but it usually isn't the biggest deal in the world.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

This is the Scavenger HQ. These guys will kick your rear end so be very aggressive with them when people found as them.

They need Carbon, Aluminum and Glass. Almost everyone else uses steel which is a two step and slow to make process while these dudes make buildings by just pulling carbon straight out of some godforsaken asteroid impact crater in the corner of the map. That means they can upgrade really fast and they can usually put down their buildings and change them out faster than you. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. (To avoid anyone getting too concerned we'll talk about their glaring weaknesses at the end so you can rest easy you can kick their rear end)

Scavenger abilities:

1) They get quicker access to aggressive black market options. They wait as long as everyone else for the non-agressive options though. You can tell the difference instantly because the aggressive options are colored red for everyone and the nice ones are green. Easy peasy. So they can hit you quicker than you can necessarily throw back your own retaliatory strikes. Since they can attack in roughly 45 seconds and you are waiting a minute to buy a goonsquad and defend yourself it can tilt entire games when done right.

2) Early information about upcoming shortages and surpluses. These are random changes in price on the commodities market.

Shortages and Surpluses, advanced level play
This means you can do shifty stuff like seeing a shortage coming and immediately dumping 200 grand into buying up all the electronics (because nobody else is making them or has any, meaning you now control the market for the commodity until your opponents can begin the slow and vulnerable process of producing some), letting the price go from like 500 dollars per electronic unit to 550 dollars per electronic unit, maybe even higher if your opponents try to buy in (which means you will have effectively taken their money,) and then you sell out dropping the price, making your cash money and potentially ruining someone's day.

Keep in mind that just because scavengers hear first does not mean you won't get advanced warning as well, just less of it. Every HQ type should strive to take advantage of the above strategy.

3) On the currently available expansion content maps, Ceres, IO and Europa (Europa is single player only so you won't see this one) resources diminish as you take more of them from a tile. This means you get less per second but you won't go below one resource per second per tile unless someone nukes you. Resources on Mars, the base map which was released first, do not diminish ever.

We'll talk more about the various maps after HQ's but for now just know that all of the multiplayer expansion content has been provided with the free multiplayer package. If you buy the offworld base game you will likewise be able to play all of the multiplayer content from the expansion pack for free. If you want to practice against the AI or play the Jupiters Forge single player campaigns you will need to buy the expansion pack, you aren't missing much but the skirmish practice is invaluable.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 30, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
How to kick a scavengers rear end

Okay they need carbon right? Well that makes them REALLY vulnerable if you can use black market to shut their carbon production down. They need like 600 to get from level 4 to level 5 and something like 1000 to make an offworld market, the big money spaceships I haven't ever talked about but you can build in the game. So power surges, EMP, dropping a nuke on any resource will drop it from a high to a low, or from a medium and below to a "trace" which is a miserable .25 resources per second. Nuking out a scavengers carbon is game over.

Aluminum, as a result, is often the best way to keep them from upgrading ever. Because most players in multiplayer are wary of having their aluminum nuked but the scavenger NEEDS that goonsquad on their carbon first which means if you deprive them of aluminum they can't get out of level 2 faster than you. A scavenger who is not ahead of you in upgrades is not a game ending threat just a regular player threat.

Having all of the resources: Like, a little bit of everything. Buy some up with spare money when it's cheap. Then later on when scavengers start trying to play those shortages you can take THEIR money by selling out after they buy up a ton trying to gain market control. Take their money right out of their pockets!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

This is the Scientist HQ. It needs steel, aluminum and glass. These guys are the lead devs favorite HQ and they win a ton in competitive one versus one tournaments.

Scientist abilities:

1) Scientists pull the resources for building inputs directly out of the ground. Build a steel mill on iron and you've got iron automatically. No charge. Put farms on water tiles or ice tiles and the water is gathered and used for free. Put electronics factories or chemical plants on carbon and they'll pull it right out of the ground. Likewise with silicon and glass. If scavengers are hyper sensitive to nukes Scientists basically don't care about it at all, tons of water or trace water they don't mind they can use it just the same and it doesn't affect their profit margins one bit.

2) 50% faster patent research. Patents win games. We'll talk about the patent lab in depth later down the line.

3) Free goon squad to start. Scientists used to have a blanket 50% resistance to all "electrical" black market attacks so this is actually a big step down for them, Still I was majorly in favor of the change, early scientists were just way too powerful and the goonsquad feels much more "strategic" since you have to guess where any enemy scientists have put it, if anywhere.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

This is the Nomadic HQ. These guys were introduced for the Jupiter's Forge expansion pack and they kick all kinds of rear end. They work much like scavengers except

Nomad abilities:

1)They use Silicon, Aluminum and Electronics to upgrade

2)They get two HQ's. This means you can never have to ship anything if you pick your spot well and the map permits.

3)They get automatic access to a black market item that other players sometimes don't even have the option to buy, Return a Claim. This means they can shuffle their claims around a limited time per HQ level. Yes. It's overpowered as hell. Nuke the hell out of these guys but they can probably just move their claims to get access to fresh resources. A tough nut to crack.

Their "downside" is that they have to purchase electronics at the beginning of every game so players can take an infinitesimal amount of their money at the early game by driving the price up and "theoretically" this can trap them for a long time at level one but it's incredibly rare for this to be more than a minor inconvenience to them.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 30, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
LOOKING AT THE MAP

Every map is completely random and every game of offworld comes with randomized prices so no two games ever play out exactly the same.

So you can drop your HQ basically whenever you want, but sooner means more debt. You can put it basically wherever you want, but some spots are better than others. Here I will provide photos of the southwest, northwest, and southeast corners of the map. The northeast corner really doesn't have many resources and at all.

Here's where NOT to found, the north east.

Here are some good places to found. Also don't think where I've put labels like "scavenger here" mean you want your HQ on that exact spot. You want to found on top of or as close to the circled resources as possible!

Now eagled eyed viewers may notice there are no good scientific spots circled. That's because this map really doesn't have any! What you'd be looking for would be a lot of iron adjacent to a lot of silicon or a lot of water. Water is the most common. Now just because I've ruled out the idea doesn't mean the other humans in the match have the same opinions!

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 30, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

The early bird gets the worm in the business world! I decide to found first, as scavenger, in a nice spot with plenty of aluminum and water. The downside to this spot is less freely available carbon which makes me vulnerable to nuking.

Circled in red is the debt clock, you can see we are starting with some debt because we're founding "early", really this is right about when I'd expect everyone else to have founded in multiplayer.

In gold is the indicator for how many resources I gained for founding where I did. Some free water and aluminum to start with.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Founding an HQ gives you three claims to work with. As a scavenger you will start with two thousand dollars, a little bit of aluminum and enough glass for your first upgrade. Use it wisely.

The "best" strategy is to take whatever you have that is cheapest and buy it with your starting money (circled in green) and put down 3 adjacent buildings in whatever your more expensive resource is. Instead I go with an equally tried and true method, two buildings for one resource and one building on a high aluminum. The buildings, circled in red, in question are quarries for carbon (free to build) and a mine for aluminum (free to build).

Circled in gold is the upgrade HQ button. With two thousand dollars and resource prices very cheap on the market we can buy what we need and upgrade immediately. By hitting the upgrade HQ button it automatically buys whatever you need using your money.

We hit the button! We're already at level two and nobody else has even founded yet! That's the power of scavengers!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

I immediately put down some water pumps (free to build) and another carbon quarry because I fear being nuked early because I'm obviously ahead.

The green yellow and orange circles are the prices on the open market for the resources we are now producing. The prices won't change until we (or someone else) actually buys or sells some of them from our stockpile. Green is our biggest earner to date, water. Yellow is our second most valuable resource carbon. Orange is our least valuable but still important resource, Aluminum.

The pink box is drawing attention to Electronics. Specifically the light blue shaded portion behind the number (open the picture to fullsize), this is a graph of the price. You can see it has spiked in a vertical direction, this indicates a single massive buy is why the price has risen, in this case one of our opponents founded as a Nomad and has purchased their electronics as is traditional. Any time you want to know the recent action of a commodity price you can look at this graph and you can see every commodity has one. This lets you see at a glance what isn't being sold and where the demand in the economy is heading. We'll talk more about how to best exploit this later.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 30, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

On the bottom left you can see my opponent's HQ, with my own HQ visible for some direction and scale. Distance and location only ever sort of matters in this game but being closer to someone's HQ means they probably spend more time looking at your decisions and buildings because you are on their screen while they're tending their own garden, so to speak.

Here is my opponents other HQ, to the northwest.

He has silicon and aluminum. Basically mirroring my own opening but with silicon quarries instead of carbon quarries and also he isn't paying for fuel to ship his silicon whereas I am paying to ship my carbon home.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

One of my opponents is building steel mills. These cost 20 iron apiece to build, scientists get twenty iron to start and must buy the rest. This means for the rest of the game they will have easy access to steel and the triangle shape means all three buildings will benefit from a 75% adjacency bonus, the most efficient shape in the game even though you can have adjacency bonuses larger than this.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Let's go over the black market real quick. Being first to found means you get your resources and your preferred spot but you also are the last person to get access to measures to attack others or defend yourself. The circled timer is how long until I can choose to spend money on one of these options. You can stockpile one black market item via direct purchase but with goonsquads you can intercept attacks and theoretically have multiple of one black market item available to be used at once.

From left to right

Cook the Books- Lie about your debt! Being too deep in debt keeps you locked out of the black market so this lets you have way more debt than you could otherwise have without being in D level or below, which is where interest payments are the most crippling and you can no longer purchase most black market items. You can buy this multiple times.

Auction a Claim- This one gets used the least. Basically you pick a tile that is either yours or unowned and the game immediately has a public auction for the tile. If you own the tile you get the money, but other players know this and usually won't bid. If nobody owns the tile and you win the auction you get the tile, otherwise whoever wins the auction gets the tile or nobody gets it if nobody bids. This is hard to use effectively because other players can make getting additional claims more expensive.

Hologram- This is multiplayer only. Lets you disguise your buildings as other buildings. Network viruses will remove the hologram, spies can see through the hologram. Good for high value targets or for loving with eagle eyed pros who think they're hitting your best building when really they're shutting down a farm or something.

Spy- Multiplayer only. This lets you see other players goonsquads, what their advanced buildings are doing, and you see through holograms. The best players spy out their opponents early it pays off!

Power Surge- This shuts down a tile of your choice and also travels through adjacent tiles at random meaning you can shut down someones entire production capacity if placed well enough. These can kind of "bounce" around goonsquads but won't travel through them if it's the only available path.

Network Virus- Hard to use effectively, these force an opponents buildings to keep operating. You can't remove them and can't shut them down. This means if you are producing a product at a loss, like if you're making steel and someone has made the price of iron 800 dollars a unit, you are directly paying for the iron and losing money. The only black market that can actually reduce an opponents money directly. If they don't have money to pay for the resource they buy it with debt. Nasty. Best used in competitive play as something less-than-lethal to remove goonsquads from defended buildings so you can drop a real ball-buster of a power surge or some dynamite onto those cashcows. Also these remove holograms.

Underground Nuke- These reduce resources in a tile. A "high" resource will produce two per second. Nuking one of these reduces it to a low resource tile, one resource per second. Nuking a medium or a low tile reduces the tile to "trace" which is .25 resources per second. If a high tile and a medium tile are next to eachother nuke the medium tile, mathematically it is a more effective hit. These can be INCREDIBLY effective in letting players establish resource monopolies.

Dynamite- This blows up someone's tile. Sometimes these are game winners if the tile is expensive enough. The enemy player must rebuild the tile before he can put anything else there and it will cost half of what the building initially cost to build to rebuild it. Try not to use these on anything that's free to rebuild. We'll talk more about how to leverage dynamite to make money later on in advanced supply and demand tactics.

Goon Squad- The best offense can be a good defense. Wherever you know you're weak, invest in one of these to keep yourself strong and protected. Only slowdown strikes (50% production over a wide area, not available on this map) can be used on tiles that have goonsquads without penalty, this is because goon squads have a deep connection with the labor movement and respect the rights of workers to strike. Seriously.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 30, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

So let's look at the life support market! In pink is the water market, which you can see we are producing far more than we need to consume to stay alive and out of debt. The pink squareish spot is drawing attention to the massive big selloffs (spiky looking thing is caused by price suddenly massively dropping) that I've been doing which have killed the market value of water. The blue shaded line graph is now trending significantly down. In red are the life support resources I'm buying with debt. As you can see Oxygen is hella expensive but I'm only consuming .1 per second so that's like eight dollars instead of eighty. You can also see the light blue line graph for food right below water, which shows you what an unmet demand causing a linear rise in price looks like as compared to a fulfilled market that has a surplus, water, right above.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 30, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

So what am I tanking the price of water for? Well two things, money and glass! Glass is something we can't easily produce without raising the price of silicon and oxygen which in turn makes us vulnerable and depletes our resources. Sometimes it's worthwhile to buy resources you can't provide yourself and make advanced products to sell them but I generally prefer to get my ducks in a row THEN start making stuff I need. With 40 glass we can guarantee we'll reach HQ level 3 eventually.

With the money just sitting around I can either get into the black market or buy more commodities. I pick up ten units of chemicals because it's 40 dollars a unit which is very cheap and projected to rise once people start putting down advanced buildings. Buy low sell high!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Back at the HQ I've got enough money and resources to hit level three, but the resource stream (which is providing me everything I need to upgrade now that I have that glass) is almost guaranteed so I exchange some of my money for a goonsquad instead of an immediate upgrade. The buildings to produce carbon and aluminum are free so the only thing I'm sacrificing here is time, during the early game time is your cheapest resource by far.

Circled in red is where I put the goonsquad, trying to defend my aluminum from being nuked which would slow me down considerably. If my carbon gets nuked it will probably just be one tile to start with, could be as many as two at once or even all three if two players attack me at the same time but if I can keep even one tile above trace level carbon there is a patent called slant drilling that will allow the adjacent tiles to mine carbon from the best available tile, meaning my carbon would be secure and back to normal.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Something happens! I hit level three but simultaneously one player nukes another. As you can see Bradbury is aware of being nuked, unhappy about it, and most importantly he's pretty sure he knows who did it. I wonder who this "Hex" fellow is and if he could be related to the fellow named Hexapus who invited me into the 4 person free for all because they were having trouble finding a fourth player last night. Hmmmmmmm.

For a snapshot into my own mind while playing, I'm very familiar with Hexapus and it isn't outside of his scheming to write something like that about himself to try and draw opponents into attacking the person who nuked him. Why might finding out someone is hexapus immediately draw aggressive attacks onto someone?

This is hexapus and he is 7th in the world right now in offworld ranked 4 person Free for All matches. Also he's a good bloke. Best we kill him if we can. So as a defensive measure sometimes he uses the chat for psychological warfare, accusing an opponent of being him. It's right up his alley... We'll have to find out if I'm right in thinking this!

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 30, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

As you can see buying items on the black market raises the price of the next one for everyone and this lets you track what might be coming your way. I've bought one goonsquad so that's one thousand dollars more expensive now. One of my opponents has bought a nuke so that's now one thousand dollars more expensive. The rest of the black market is untouched for now.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

So a ton of important things here. First since I've reached level three I build a water pump and two glass kilns. Circled in red are the glass kilns. Now also in red is the price of glass, which just dropped off a cliff. This is because my opponent, the nomad, has been making glass this whole time. They were watching to see me get into it and then sold off their whole stockpile to deny me the ability to make a good profit per second from the market. Glass is still very expensive however so I'll be able to make money just not as much as I was expecting. This comes part and parcel with what I call "high level play" where you anticipate for your opponents future moves and adjust yourself accordingly to increase your profits and decrease theirs by manipulating market prices.

Circled in gold is the popup telling my a network virus got dropped on another opponent. I can't believe how lightly I'm getting off w/r/t black market here. The player who was nuked early on has no idea if it was me or not who nuked him, he didn't intercept it so he only has guesses. Usually the player furthest in the lead is a good bet, that'd be me. You can kinda figure out who did it if you look at the money+resources indicator by hovering the mouse over each players name but that takes an eagle eye and a good head for details. Maybe that's what happened here.

The network virus itself landed on an undefended patent lab yet to be built. I'm guessing they saw that I had bought a goonsquad and thought it meant my opponent was defending his advanced buildings. A waste of a network virus.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
You can see the cash plus resources indicator in the popup box in the above picture.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

I start doing things about this! Circled in red is the reason I had to act. Oxygen is too damned expensive to sell water and keep buying it. Silicon has been artificially inflated, probably by the Nomad. Part of this is the nuke dropped earlier which is reducing the available silicon to the players on the map but another part of this is a player has identified that I don't have silicon to make my glass and they want to make my life hell. But nobody has nuked my carbon so I have tons (circled in green). Carbon is my primary resource for building buildings so I make what is known as a "transition", using tiles you've already claimed to make other things based on market demand. We're putting down a pair of electrolysis reactors (gold circle) which will take water and convert it directly into hydrogen fuel and oxygen. Should be a decent earner if my opponent wants to keep making glass, which is a process that consumes oxygen.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
You can also see an auction is happening in the above picture, box on the top right. The black market price for auction a claim is 2000 still so this is a randomly generated one and not someone's scheme. Auctions are purchased with debt so sometimes they go crazy expensive like 60,000 for the item even though nobody has that kind of money on hand. Time freezes during the auction which gives you time to manage your own stuff in between bidding. We don't really want this claim and have a bit more debt than anyone else so we're going to let them fight over it and act like maybe we don't know what we're doing. We can play the psychology game too!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Bradbury gets the auction for 20,000 in debt. The tile in question is circled in green, note that it is adjacent to one of Clarke's tiles but this was randomly chosen and so even though it looks suspicious as hell it's not actually suspicious at all.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

So we start moving into the power market because there is not enough power being generated so it is now 127 dollars a unit. We're consuming about 1 unit of power per second via our buildings. Nuclear plants are only available on Ceres, Io and Europa, we're on Ceres. They consume uranium and water and produce tons of power day or night. As you can see we've purchased up about 100 units of uranium to get ahead of price increases and to ensure we can benefit from this.

So The Power Market, if you have debt, any profit you make in power goes toward that debt. So you need to pay through all of your debt to make actual money in power. This means we need to pay 39,000ish dollars in debt before we can expect to make a dime from this. At 2.4 surplus power per second this is... doable. Might take us two minutes or so of production if nobody gets in our way.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

We've just got our triangle of nuclear plants up and running. Of note is how much excess we're making, with a 75% adjacency bonus from our triangle of reactors, and how much money we're making. The green square is to draw your attention to how the light blue line graph is now bending in curve towards horizontal movement. Demand is currently being met by supply and so our price is no longer rising but not falling yet. This is ideal for power generation profits.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

But my opponents are not blind to this. They have themselves put up measures to make power to dilute the market price faster and pay some of their own debts. The nomad is making solar power which only works for 66% of the time on Ceres, where we currently are. The scavenger is making nuclear power but less than me. The price is now falling because supply majorly exceeds demand.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Asimov (the scientist) has acquired teleportation. It means he no longer needs to fly resources back to his HQ they just appear there. This brings down demand for fuel and also makes his long term strategy more viable. I'll talk more about it later and might speak on how patents work to make a non-optimal spot into a game winning spot.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I just tried the link in the OP and it doesn't work. Lmao.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Okay I THINK I just hosed up at making a link. But I'm gonna keep an eye on that link and make sure it isn't just weird as gently caress and breaking every hour or something!

Edit- Nope it's just breaking.Okay I will figure out what I need to do to get you all free multiplayer as god as my witness.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 30, 2020

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'VE SOLVED THE CASE... PROBABLY

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Okay so I've got one free client key for whoever wants it and I'm gonna explore the newletter route to getting this game into people's hands tomorrow. thank you for your patience and please speak up if you want this key it's going out on a first come first serve kinda basis.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I got this from humble bundle. Played a bit of it and it seemed pretty good, but I feel like I'm never in the mood for these games now.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
More content coming shortly. I've just subscribed to the mohawk mailing list so I can personally vouch for how annoying it is and how long it takes to get free offworld multiplayer.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Okay it took me like two minutes between signing up and receiving an email with a steam code for the offworld multiplayer client. I've got two now for anyone interested, and I'm gonna rate this method of getting the steam code easy enough.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So where were we before my life came to entirely revolve around finding a year old coupon for a free multiplayer client?

Oh right. Too much supply!

Power price is rapidly dropping because of all the other power buildings combined with our own making so much supply it's flooding the market. As an aside, I took my water pumps down to put those reactors up, they use water to operate so in pink is my current water consumption rate and the circled buildings are primarily what's causing it to be that high.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
But you can see we're on our way to level 4! Staying ahead!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

So we take our upgrade and get more claims, we solve our water problem at least somewhat by putting down two more water pumps.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

So we put down another electrolysis reactor because it's a profitable building and we already had two, why not three? Then we start eyeing an advanced building. Do we want to try and push for some patents? An optimization center? No! We want a pleasure dome! It's a building that costs a ton of power to operate but it makes hard cash every second! We have a ton of power! This will work!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Except that dickweed clarke already built one! Still I'm ahead, I'm feeling cocky. I build a pleasure dome right next door, anticipating his revenue will drop somewhat but I'll never have more than him without getting the patent for Virtual Reality (+50% pleasure dome revenue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Also we go over to Clarke's HQ and drop a nuke on it. Right on his carbon!