Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bolind posted:

Some months ago there was a lot of printer chat. Wifey wants a printer, and I want something small that doesn't use consumables that dry out or cost a fortune. I seem to remember a Brother laser being the goto. Is color laser at home feasible these days?

Yes. Laser all the way.
I've got a Cannon MFC thing that's... Fine. It's noisy, has to pause for 20+ seconds between print jobs (printing 50 pages in one go? No problem. Printing 1 page from Excel and 1 from a PDF? Gotta pause and do... something?), it can't print envelopes (few can), and toner is expensive, but it was pretty cheap to buy, and I've replaced the toner once. It's got an NFC receiver on the top so you can print from your phone by swiping, which works surprisingly well. I'd rate it a B/B-.

If you can live with B/W, Brother makes really nice monochrome MFC's. We have one that's at least 10 years old, and it keeps on ticking. I mostly use it for shipping labels now, but it's been solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

We've got an L3800 and L4600 at work and they are VERY different machines to the B series tractors. Both have backhoes on em, the little 3800 isnt too bad, but a bit light for doing too much- 400kg lift on the loader and the backhoe isnt the greatest.

The 4600 tho, holy hell thats a serious bit of kit. Kubota basically took the digger arm off their 3 tonne excavator and stuck it on the back of a tractor- I've picked up half tonne logs with that thing and it hasnt flinched. The front end loader is a weapon too, and it hauls a 6' slasher around like its not there.

We've had some historic issues with the Kubota drop spindles breaking before, but I can say with certainty that those machines were abused well and beyond their design limits and we somehow broke the mounting frame for the loader on the 4600 last year, through the fabrication, not along a weld line so we dunno!

Dads shopping tractors at the moment (still) to replace his MF135 before it kills him, so i've been looking at lots of machines recently. The big thing Deere has going for it is weight- their machines in the same horsepower categories and price ranges weigh a hell of a lot more than their competitors. For example, Comparing the Kubota MX5200D to the Deere 5055M, the Deere has another 400kg of rear arm lift capacity, another 200kg of loader capacity and weighs pretty much a tonne more than the kub, which directly translates into traction and stability. They're within $1K of each other in price too (at least in Aus they are!)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

bolind posted:

Some months ago there was a lot of printer chat. Wifey wants a printer, and I want something small that doesn't use consumables that dry out or cost a fortune. I seem to remember a Brother laser being the goto. Is color laser at home feasible these days?

For printing photos or color text?

Laser is passable at best for printing photos - granted I've been out of the industry for about eight years but when I was a field tech for FujiFilm even laser printers that were designed to print pictures left a spotty finish of varying degrees of gloss/matte in the fixed toner. Its just the nature of the technology. Inkjet OTOH has matured to the point where it has nearly replaced wet process silver halide photos in the industry, and you'd be hard pressed to spot the difference between the two.

If you're primarily printing text, can't go wrong with Brother. I picked up a basic monochrome laser from them about ten years ago and only recently ran out the sample toner cartridge.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Printers:

I bought this cheap canon color laser last year because I almost never print but my daughter had a lot of final research papers to do. So far it works fantastic, fires right up, prints on long envelopes, and even prints photos in ok quality. Reliability would be the only unknown but I don't need reliable. And I bought a cheap cover to keep dust out of it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QBR7JFV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BMZCC8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If you just need something small with cheap disposables and only B&W, Brother is the way to go. My folks use Brother MFCs (since they need to scan) waaaaaaaay past their rated lifetimes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Kazinsal posted:

Not surprised. I was half expecting him to be a closet Alberta chud already considering his style and him living in the backwoods of northern BC (which leans fairly heavily conservative due to their proximity to Alberta and distance from civilization, but at least they don't have enough people to gently caress the rest of the province over in elections).

Pretty sure he had a South Park grade political-correctness-gone-mad freakout a while back when he did a ruler that had a "oval office hair thickness" gauge on it and people said "dude that's not exactly kosher".

Yeah his video a few days ago pushed me over the edge to unsubscribe as well. He's just smart enough to be a danger to himself and others and I can't stand how he doubles down on every little thing.

The cunthair ruler debacle annoyed me too. It was a nice ruler otherwise and I wanted to give him money for it, but I didn't want a tool that expressed measurements in cunthairs sitting on my desk next to smart woman engineers who I respect.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 28, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have an Epson WF-3720 networked all in one printer scanner. My wife insisted on scanning and color priting. IT loving SUCKS DO NOT BUY. Drinks ink, poo poo drivers, bad at feeding paper, bad at scanning. Only positives are it was cheap and connects to wifi. I miss my Brother HL-1270N which lasted for like a decade and a half. When we move I am getting a new B&W laser.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

The cunthair ruler debacle annoyed me too. It was a nice ruler otherwise and I wanted to give him money for it, but I didn't want a tool that expressed measurements in cunthairs sitting on my desk next to smart woman engineers who I respect.

Wait....He offers for sale a ruler based in oval office hair measurements? What in the gently caress, I wonder how his wife feels about that.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

My little brother spent the last three weeks working on the scimitar he bought from my dad and it passed it's first mot in 16 years with a minor defect for the indicator switch and advisories for worn brakes and a couple of old-looking bushes. Absolute star that man.

Going to need some pictures of this!

Re: Democrats, I just don't understand the mindset. All my US Democrat friends have spent the time since the primaries started making GBS threads on whoever the Democrat frontrunner was for one social infraction or another. Like okay, cool, you're extremely woke or whatever, but you're also self sabotaging your own side? Maybe if there was less internal shitflinging they might get something done? :shrug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Grakkus posted:

Re: Democrats, I just don't understand the mindset. All my US Democrat friends have spent the time since the primaries started making GBS threads on whoever the Democrat frontrunner was for one social infraction or another. Like okay, cool, you're extremely woke or whatever, but you're also self sabotaging your own side? Maybe if there was less internal shitflinging they might get something done? :shrug:

It seems to me like they are looking for the squeaky clean perfect candidate, the problem with that is candidates are human and never perfect.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Joe Biden sucks but he sucks less than Trump so gently caress me I guess

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
2016 Part II: I still don't want to vote for any of these assholes

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rhyno posted:

yeah basically

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Wait....He offers for sale a ruler based in oval office hair measurements? What in the gently caress, I wonder how his wife feels about that.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/464202928/one-rule-to-ruler-them-all-cheeky-jokes?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

Check the gap width gauge on the right in the second picture.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Rhyno posted:

The thing is, out of ALL of the candidates that were running Biden was my least favorite and the one candidate that Trump could actually beat. Democrats, how did you gently caress up this bad AGAIN?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dagen H posted:

2016 Part II: I still don't want to vote for any of these assholes

That's pretty much the way it is in every Presidential election. One of them is going to win regardless, though, so I tend to vote for the one that will cause the least damage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh basement leak fixed. No actual damage to drywall and had I sorted out where the leak was originating from soo er I could have saves the carpet. But the repair came in $1300 below the estimate so that's a win I guess.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Coredump posted:

Democrats, how did you gently caress up this bad AGAIN?

This is what happens when "vote blue no matter who" is your perennial campaign slogan.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If it's any consolation up here the choice is between three assholes instead of two, so it's not like more options improve things.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Grakkus posted:

Going to need some pictures of this!

kinda hosed up that joe biden sleepdementiawalks into the nomination, doesnt really bode well for what little 'democracy' this dump has left

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Another recommendation for a brother mono laser from me too!
I got sick of my stupid Hp colour inkjet at the end of last year and bought the cheapest wireless brother mono laser that I could find and it just sits there and prints quickly and perfectly whenever I want stuff!
I used to use cheap brother mono lasers a lot in schools and they last forever even when being abused by children.

I unsubbed from AvE a months ago because I decided I just couldn’t stand his shtick anymore and nor could I take trying to listen to him talk. It does not surprise me that he is a dick.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

On one hand, Biden could be doddering and ineffectual and it would be better than actively careening off a cliff. On the other hand, I'm just about ready to disavow myself of this country. Floyd George's murder has me all hosed up.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

On one hand, Biden could be doddering and ineffectual and it would be better than actively careening off a cliff. On the other hand, I'm just about ready to disavow myself of this country. Floyd George's murder has me all hosed up.

I'm with you there. This country has always been pretty lovely, now the emperor has no clothes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Re: printer chat

throwing my hat in the ring for Brother Mono Laser whatever.
Made my mother in law buy a HLL2395DW for $100 last year on an Amazon Lightning deal.
I set it up once and haven't had to do any support since. She can even scan, no problem.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Me being a dirty immigrant and having experiences outside of the US somethings do shock me still in how politicians and the super rich are allowed to be the absolutist ruling class that the founding fathers of the US specifically tried to stop happening.

The inheritance tax is a perfect example, put in place to stop families passing wealth down generation after generation and is constantly attacked by the rich and labeled as this terrible thing that stops the poor from getting ahead instead of being a method to redistribute wealth and stop a ruling class forming. Maybe I read to much history and have them smarts that are for liberal commie nerds?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Printer chat: Epson started making color inkjet printers with refillable ink tanks at some point. Print quality and cost per page seems reasonable. I'm considering picking one up though probably not until I can go out hiking and picture taking again.
https://www.amazon.com/Epson-EcoTank-Wireless-Cartridge-Free-Supertank/dp/B07Q1NYMDR

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

freelop posted:

For the first part of your post I had a vision of a totally different scimitar being worked on

Same here.

Elviscat posted:

Holy poo poo AvE has gone off the 'ol Libertarian rails, bitching about masks and poo poo in his latest videos. I'm unsubscribing, all here does these days it's gently caress with his CNC and try to use flextures to solve every problem (they don't)

We all fall to Dunning-Kruger in the end I guess.

I suppose it shouldn't be that surprising that he leans hard right but even before this it seemed like he's just lost his way on actual good content.

meatpimp posted:

I've always said that Republicans are evil and Democrats are incompetent. Yours is a less divisive statement of that view.

Given the actual effect most Dem leaders have had, I'm increasingly less convinced it's actual incompetence and more convinced it's a loving farce. Scream loud and complain, claim you're more compassionate, still pass most of the same tax breaks and enforce most of the same lovely policies. The end result is that in most political races you're left with two choices that have some differences, and at least one probably does have some abhorrent policies that nobody should be voting for - but that doesn't mean that the other choice is anything less than a shitshow.

The last time I felt like I was voting for someone who actually had better policies than their opponent, they've let me down anyway.

everdave posted:

TLDR

BROTHER LASER B&W (can be had for $50-75)

Outsource color when needed

Very much this. Even color lasers are questionable value unless you need to print color locally, often, and I'm really not sure what would constitute a need at this point. Walgreens / Costco do photo prints better and cheaper than you ever will, Kinko's FedEx does color document prints. Color lasers are larger and much more complex than their B&W equivalent.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
HEY HEY! This is not a referral link or anything but SlickDeals just posted this Brother deal from Staples, $55 free shipping

https://slickdeals.net/f/14086193-brother-hl-l2320d-monochrome-laser-printer-usb-only-54-99

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BigPaddy posted:

The inheritance tax is a perfect example, put in place to stop families passing wealth down generation after generation and is constantly attacked by the rich and labeled as this terrible thing that stops the poor from getting ahead instead of being a method to redistribute wealth and stop a ruling class forming.

The real failure here is the rich have managed to sell what remains of the middle class and wide swathes of the right-leaning working poor on the idea of everyone being a temporarily embarrassed millionaire, so enough of the population thinks they have a real shot at becoming wealthy themselves they don't and want policies that favor the rich to still be in place when they receive their millions.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm with you there. This country has always been pretty lovely, now the emperor has no clothes.

Parts of the US are unquestionably shittier than others, and are sometimes shittier than a not-insubstantial subset of other world locations. But two thoughts, 1) let’s not paint the entirety of the country with the same brush because 2) there are so many other places that are vastly shittier. Would you want to be in Hong Kong today, or in 6 months? If I remember right you guys looked at Ukraine but that had its own problems?

That doesn’t excuse horrible poo poo here, but the other side of the coin is I would urge any and all to not give up and continue to stand for what’s right and fight for better outcomes for us all as we can.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BigPaddy posted:

Me being a dirty immigrant and having experiences outside of the US somethings do shock me still in how politicians and the super rich are allowed to be the absolutist ruling class that the founding fathers of the US specifically tried to stop happening.

The inheritance tax is a perfect example, put in place to stop families passing wealth down generation after generation and is constantly attacked by the rich and labeled as this terrible thing that stops the poor from getting ahead instead of being a method to redistribute wealth and stop a ruling class forming. Maybe I read to much history and have them smarts that are for liberal commie nerds?

what i really do not fathom is any conversation about the estate tax that doesn't begin with "fed only applies to people with a 11.4 million dollar estate" which applies to something under 1.3 million US households.

edit: I find it all too easy to be fatalistic about things at this point which is certainly not productive in terms of outcomes or my own mental health. I like Tremek's reminder.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cursedshitbox posted:

Yeah, this year's primary really confirmed that the Democratic party is owned by a different set of oligarchs that support socially liberal policies, as long as those policies don't effect their own bottom line. We were let down pretty hard by a constitution that promotes a bicameral system, I think. I'll always hold out hope that we can right the ship, but I dunno if I'll see it in my lifetime, things like socialized healthcare and free higher education (at least for some), are not optional for a wealthy first-world country, IMO.

I'm a lot more tolerant of CHUDy poo poo than a lot of people, I've had to be to spend 10 years in the military (granted, the nuclear-trained contingent of the Navy is probably also the leftmost) but I'm fed the gently caress up with Libertarians, it takes such a willful ignorance of history to think that poo poo works, we've DONE it, it was called laissez faire, and it fed tens of thousands of immigrants through a loving meat grinder (sometimes literally) and shattered the nation so bad that if it weren't for FDR and the New Deal followed by a World War we likely would have seen communist uprisings in the US. It's no coincidence that the Venn Diagram of Libertarians and Anti-Vax idiots has such a massive overlap, most of these people literally don't know what Smallpox or Polio were, or the hellish effects they had on the people they infected, even after they were done wiping out populations and a natural herd immunity was established.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like Tremek's reminder.

I like Tremek's reminder, but also keep in mind that he speaks from the same privilege that a lot of us do. Not that privilege is a bad thing, but it's something that is critical to context.

I am an older, white, educated, suburban male. Every qualifier in that description allots a respect from "the system" that those without that qualifier aren't extended. I could do one hell of a lot of things directly in front of a police officer that would get me a (perhaps stern) warning, where others would be stopped, searched, and put under a microscope.

Again, there's nothing wrong with what I am, but I absolutely cannot stand that our "leadership" fits the same demographic criteria that I used to define myself, yet they choose to ignore the privilege and act like they built their lives from the ground up. And that's bullshit. And that's old. And we need a real change in leadership to represent the people that we are now, not what the old white guys want it to be.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, this year's primary really confirmed that the Democratic party is owned by a different set of oligarchs that support socially liberal policies, as long as those policies don't effect their own bottom line. We were let down pretty hard by a constitution that promotes a bicameral system, I think. I'll always hold out hope that we can right the ship, but I dunno if I'll see it in my lifetime, things like socialized healthcare and free higher education (at least for some), are not optional for a wealthy first-world country, IMO.

I'm a lot more tolerant of CHUDy poo poo than a lot of people, I've had to be to spend 10 years in the military (granted, the nuclear-trained contingent of the Navy is probably also the leftmost) but I'm fed the gently caress up with Libertarians, it takes such a willful ignorance of history to think that poo poo works, we've DONE it, it was called laissez faire, and it fed tens of thousands of immigrants through a loving meat grinder (sometimes literally) and shattered the nation so bad that if it weren't for FDR and the New Deal followed by a World War we likely would have seen communist uprisings in the US. It's no coincidence that the Venn Diagram of Libertarians and Anti-Vax idiots has such a massive overlap, most of these people literally don't know what Smallpox or Polio were, or the hellish effects they had on the people they infected, even after they were done wiping out populations and a natural herd immunity was established.

I still don't understand Sweden's approach to Herd Immunity.
I mean for gently caress's sake Smallpox wiped out most of indigenous North America. Yeah I guess SOME people got immunity but almost everyone died. Why the gently caress would you want to tempt fate?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

Floyd George's murder has me all hosed up.

Without belittling his death at all, can someone explain why this case of murder by cop is particularly bad? For an uninitiated European white boy, it just seems like another victim of the system.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Without belittling his death at all, can someone explain why this case of murder by cop is particularly bad? For an uninitiated European white boy, it just seems like another victim of the system.

Most deaths at police hands are over and done quickly in a hail of bullets.

In this case, there is video footage that spans nearly 10 minutes of the officer intentionally putting pressure on the victim's neck, cutting off blood supply to his brain - slowly suffocating him while a small crowd watched and begged the officer to stop. Bear in mind footage from nearby security cameras shows him being compliant/non-violent during the entire interaction and he was cuffed with his hands behind his back, lying on his stomach on the ground. In short, even by law enforcement's incredibly lax standards there was zero justification for any use of force, much less deadly force.

Shockingly, there aren't the usual calls of "we need to wait until all the facts are in" from officials or pro-law enforcement internet detectives turning up that one time he had an overdue library book in elementary school, and using it as justification for his death.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 28, 2020

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I still don't understand Sweden's approach to Herd Immunity.
I mean for gently caress's sake Smallpox wiped out most of indigenous North America. Yeah I guess SOME people got immunity but almost everyone died. Why the gently caress would you want to tempt fate?

There's nothing to understand. They somehow looked at the research and took the most obvious wrong information from it.

The only way Sweden's herd immunity will "work" is when the virus has its way with Sweden's populace a'la Black Plague style. The sort of herd immunity Sweden wants requires a functional innoculation method for Covid, which doesn't exist yet.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Its another in a long line of unjust outright murders by police, but its in the middle of a massive Recession that rivals the Great Depression, which means you have an even angrier outraged populous that steadily has less and less to lose.

Frankly, this protesting should've happened sooner.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Yeah I don't know why that would be considered any more egregious than others. They're all terribly unacceptable.
Maybe counterfeiting is seen as more of a harmless "white collar" crime than outright theft? Maybe it's be cause he was cooperative and not resisting arrest? Maybe this whole problem of racial disparity has finally reached a tipping point and this is the pushback against the system. I really couldn't say.

It is terrible though and our system loving sucks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah I don't know why that would be considered any more egregious than others. They're all terribly unacceptable.

Its not. But the reaction has been stewing for a couple years under the Trump admin that has been openly flirting with the White Supremacists that empower cops.

That, and the recent "Anti-Lockdown" protests where cops took no actions against armed white supremacists marching on state capitols, the black and white of police reaction is ever more apparent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

Parts of the US are unquestionably shittier than others, and are sometimes shittier than a not-insubstantial subset of other world locations. But two thoughts, 1) let’s not paint the entirety of the country with the same brush because 2) there are so many other places that are vastly shittier. Would you want to be in Hong Kong today, or in 6 months? If I remember right you guys looked at Ukraine but that had its own problems?

That doesn’t excuse horrible poo poo here, but the other side of the coin is I would urge any and all to not give up and continue to stand for what’s right and fight for better outcomes for us all as we can.

Ukraine came with its own issues, however making GBS threads on the poor and minorities wasn't one of them. I didn't move there as it is illegal to bribe foreign officials as a U.S. citizen. Our elected may choose to not abide by their own governing rules. Doesn't mean I'm going to do this too. Either that or have a couple hundred thousand Euros around for residency. I lived there for a while a few years ago to get the gist of what life was like.

Also fwiw, I got my wish of moving to Ukraine without actually having to move anywhere.
I absolutely would travel to Hong Kong. The only places I wouldn't go right now would be Turkey, North Korea, or Russia.

Ukraine was my third and final attempt at divorcing this country. I'm gonna settle into the PNW or maybe move back to Alaska.

Background and perspective is a lot of it.
I've lived in 8 states, and have traveled to 47, also growing up as a dirt-poor first-gen-off-the-boat kid in rural areas. As a youngster the experience forever tarnished my view of this place. The same brush is more or less the same dull color no matter where. Sure there's peaks and valleys. Hate is still hate.

i'm not getting into my childhood on this forum.
I was fired 12 years ago in CA after getting outed in an auto shop. Prior to that in the south I almost lost a job in a factory over the same thing. Its not something I wear on my sleeve and what I stick my dick in is irrelevant to my capabilities as a worker. Yet in the atmospheres of those two areas loose jokes get thrown around and jokes can get out of hand fast. And next thing you know, you're outed in a hostile atmosphere.
In the Rover shop I had to fire a few customers that had issues with my sexuality or the fact I'm not born on the motherland. Though that was in the south yet again.
Even the "liberal bastion" that is the San Francisco bay area is not without its own problems. There's an undertone of racism and elitism here. Follow the policies that the elected put into play.

People at a shallow level generally are kind and mean well. Run with that.
On a happier note, this country has some absolutely beautiful scenery.