Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Made Brad & Claire's sourdough doughnuts. Only burned myself once!

Big up's to AI chat thread for putting me on to Brad/Claire/Bon Apetit in the first place. Best YT content besides Binky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

bolind posted:

I've been trying to get on the Bon Apetit, and Brad is entertaining, but I just can't deal with the stupid speech bubbles and animations all the time. It's way overdone. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Claire's gourmet makes videos don't have the same OTT editing so they may work better for you. Claire is great too, I really feel her frustration when she can't get something to work. I really like all the failure the BA videos show - cooking isn't like a perfect instagram "how-to".

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Cooking chat:

I feel that one area that causes a lot of frustration with cooking, baking in particular, is recipes that are written that assume the reader has knowledge & experience of certain (often basic) techniques.

I've had to troubleshoot failures for friends and it's usually a basic issue such as not understanding what "rub butter into flour" or "cream butter & sugar" actually means, and what the result looks like. Heck half the time I don't even know why I'm doing these things, I just have the experience to know how to do them, and what they look like when done right.

Not everyone can look at a lovely recipe for bechamel and realise what they're asking when they tell you to dump flour, milk, cheese and butter in a pan is that you actually have to make a roux, gradually add the milk and then melt the cheese in at the end. Also, gently caress packet Lasagna.

Another issue that's becoming more prevalent is lovely insta/youtube clickbait videos for like 5 ingedient masterpieces. Simply put, these recipes often don't work and they only exist to please the algorithm. Here's a good video about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvqa8dsBtno

Then there's the other side of it. My girlfriend was trying to replicate one of these Dalgona iced coffee foam recipes and spent hours failing. She was getting so frustrated. In the end I determined she wasn't simply following the recipe, at all. Ingredients, quantities and techniques - all wrong. She's by no means a poor or inexperienced cook but she was trying to run before she could walk. I'm guilty of this too, I've been trying my hand at a lot more bread and while I haven't had any abject failures yet, I am making plenty of mistakes and learning by error. I am going to be a victim of hubris one day!

Anyways, thats a lot of text, have some pictures of food.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Elviscat posted:

What's that last one? It looks loving amazing.

Sticky Tofu Bao. Proof the better half is a great cook! She looked at a few recipes and synthesized them to come up with that.

I think this recipe is a good starting point. Just use frozen Bao if you can find them, we've never attempted to make them.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

BuckyDoneGun posted:

You know how people always go on about how “they should teach X in schools!”? In NZ, when you hit what is now called Year 7 and 8, age 10/11 - 12/13, everyone does compulsory “Manual Training”. Generally cooking, sewing, woodwork and metalwork, although it varies slightly. The cooking side took you through all the basic techniques like rubbing and creaming and roux and so on.

Of course half of people turn around and say “wait, I was supposed to learn something from that?”, so like anything there’s no helping some people. 90% of the things people say should be taught in schools actually did get taught if you were paying attention.

This is where I learned most of my basic techniques. :nz:

We had a really good "home economics" department at my high school. Great teachers, lots of emphasis on learning those techniques like making roux, making custard etc.

I wish I had paid more attention in Wood- & Metal- working but I guess I use my cooking skills a lot more everyday.

slothrop fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Paint it to look like a boat so the government gets rid of it?