Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Holy poo poo it's Friday / almost Friday. When did that happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Has anyone here bought an electric bicycle? I want to get one to expand my ability to get around NYC. I've had my eye on a few in the ~$1500 range for a little while. I wanted a Radwagon, but the cadence sensor is concerning. Also looking at a discounted Vanmoof S2, but their battery isn't removable.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Maksimus54 posted:

I bought a RadWagon about a year ago. For $1500 they are tough to beat for utility and price. I haven't had any issues with my bike, but cadence sensors are cheap and easy to replace. They aren't particularly smooth though.

I ended up with the wagon to haul a kid around with and nobody else made a cargo style bike for anywhere near $1500. We've greatly enjoy it, but if it was just for me the Juiced Crosscurrent would have been my pick. They come with all the upgrades you'd want at a fair price point(when I was shopping).

When you're riding the RadWagon, do you feel like you're pedaling is actually doing something, or does it feel like you're just spinning the pedals and the motor is doing the work?

The Crosscurrent looks awesome, good suggestion!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ok, awesome. I saw a video about it where the rear wheel of the bike was off the ground and the motor was driving the wheel faster than the cassette was spinning, so the pedals were completely unloaded. I guess it's a different story when the bike is on the ground.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

:wtf: is up with new Camrys being so factory :rice: ?

The TRD Camry in the two-tone black and red is surprisingly good looking. All my notions about what cars make what kind of power solidified in the early 2000s; it's kinda surprising that Toyota is making a Camry that makes 300+ hp right off the assembly line.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My wife started playing Animal Crossing, which is awesome because she really seems to get into it. Apr-June was supposed to be her chunk of time to go to medical conferences, etc. and that's not happening any time soon. She's also "on vacation" this week, which is an incredibly meaningless term. A few of my friends from college have been playing since it came out and I need to figure out how to introduce them so they can give each other stuff.

I'm a little jealous that she finishes all the quests on our island before I can get to them though!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm still playing my PS3 and refuse to get another console until the PS5 comes out although now I'm hearing it's backwards compatible with everything BUT the PS3....

Well there you go, all your bases are covered!

Darchangel posted:

My wife wants to get a Switch, for that and a couple other games, think. I'm not *completely* opposed, but we already have an Xbox One, 360, and PS3 connected to the TV. Minde you, only the One gets used with any regularity. The PS3 can probably come out and jut be connected if I get a wild hair to play Uncharted, Gran Turismo, or God Of War. Or not. I think I still have inputs on the receiver. If she wants to spend the $300, I'd rather spend it on an Xbox One X. Not sure I want to until I see what the Series X will do and cost, though. So I guess she can get a Switch if it's her money and she can find one. I bought all the other consoles.
I want to play Splatoon

You could always get the Switch Lite. That's the handheld only version. We got a Switch a few months after it came out and it sees mixed usage. Sometimes I go months without touching a video game, and sometimes a play a bunch. It's still a really solid purchase.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The other day my wife wasn't really sure if she was going to get into Animal Crossing. Today she explained to me that she was going to use some iron to fix her axe, but she wants to focus on getting the bookshop open.

I think she's enjoying herself! That makes me happy!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

gently caress. I was cleaning my glasses this afternoon and they snapped in half. Fortunately I have some prescription safety glasses sitting around, but they're giving me an annoying eye ache.

I found an online glasses place that says they'll have a new pair out to me on Thursday. Hopefully they arrive and fit and work. The old glasses were three or four years old at this point, so definitely due for a replacement. I imagine daily wear just fatigued the bridge, and they failed right around the weakest point. When things reopen I'm going to get my eyes checked and get some proper glasses fitted.

But hey the good news is I also found the sunglasses I thought I'd lost.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

just ahem, weld that poo poo back together using a soldering iron.

Alas, I "donated" my old soldering station to my last job and I haven't bought a nice one yet. Likewise, no heat shrink. I might try epoxy later today.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Happy to report that overnightglasses dot com lived roughly up to their names, and the glasses I ordered at 3pm on Tuesday came in at 9am today.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

What makes a camper bedroom CPAP-prepped?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MrChips posted:

Can I just say that this travel plan is an incredibly stupid, dangerous and selfish thing to be even considering in this climate?

Alright that's quite enough pearl clutching. It's not significantly worse than being inside a house, grocery shopping periodically, and occasionally going to the park or on a drive.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 10, 2020

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MrChips posted:

But yes I will continue pearl-clutching. rear end in a top hat.

:wink:

Edit: hell of a page snipe.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I completely didn't drive between March 1 and May 2, which is probably the longest I've gone without driving in the last couple of years.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

STR posted:

Found out through work that we're going be essentially meatless, at least raw meats, within 2 weeks. Likely sooner. Frozen meats not too far behind, deli will probably be the last.

Guess I'm gonna go stock up on chicken breasts and ground beef tomorrow.

You haven't figured out what causes them yet?

We've got a small amount of meat in the freezer, but by and large we don't have enough space to store very much. I'm experimenting with Beyond sausages and mince as drop-in replacements for some of our common recipes. Very interested to see how meat unavailability shakes out.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

also 2nd childe should be arriving either this week or next

Mazel tov!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Charitably, they're poor and they need the money because the US is a hosed up place with limited social safety net and employer obligations.

Uncharitably, they're loving stupid.

It's probably a combination of the two.

They're linked. It's been demonstrated time and again that being under financial stress makes you bad at decision making, and removing that financial stress literally makes you smarter.

In less drastic news, god drat this java codebase. I'm working with another team's code and I feel like I have to trick IntelliJ into not crapping out all the time. What's worse is they're in france, so if I have questions I'd better ask them before noon (although one of their VPs did get back to me at 11pm his time once).

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 15, 2020

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That pizza is gorgeous. What temperature do you bake it, and do you preheat the thingy you're making it on?

We've been making cast iron skillet pizzas a couple times a week for the past few months, and they're amazing. I put the dough in the skillet and heat that over a burner while I build the rest of the pizza. The browning on the bottom is perfect. Recipe

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

The way I've always viewed it is that cooking is an art and all measurements are open to interpretation, baking is a science and reagents must be measured accurately or you will make a flubber, not a loaf of bread.

Cooking used to freak me out because everything was so imprecise until I realized that all you're doing for the most part is throwing edible tasty things together and the goal isn't to recreate some specific thing exactly.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Adderall trip report.....Yeah I won't be taking this poo poo on a daily basis. Felt like I was hopped up on a mega dose of caffeine then came down HARD like I was coming down from a night of partying doing lines of coke. And that was just from half of a dose :v:

I'm thinking of talking to my doctor about getting some so that I can focus on my job for more than like 20 minutes at a time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

or do. It's your car, do whatever you want with it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

My winter daily RX-8 is getting a full JPS x Boss Coffee vinyl decal kit.

The back window of my truck has two big decals and the wife's daily has a full Martini kit.

So yeah, decals all the way. They're worth 5kW each after all.

Share a picture of your wife's car!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

Ask and ye shall receive. I never need a reason to spam this thing really.

It looks so good!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Elviscat posted:

WTF are you trying to suggest here Google?

Join the EU already, you drat chocoholics!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

So if I put all the stickers from the companies I bought parts from on my dumb patina rod junk yard car I am not... cool?

You're all posting on the Internet, which is the dorkiest activity known to humankind.

I ordered my ebike (e stands for extremely dorky) on May 8th. It's at the bike shop, and as of Friday they were sorting out a noise in the rear brake. That's all cool and good. I understand that in the midst of a global pandemic that is going to make New Yorkers avoid public transit for a while, they're extremely busy. I told them to take their time and I'd hear from them this week.

but in reality I'm impatient and irrational and I want the drat thing _now_

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

BuckyDoneGun posted:

The other thing about tax, is Americans seem to pay a just as much of it as anywhere else but get gently caress all in return. We get functioning government and civic services.

The median US taxpayer, maybe, but the ultra rich and big businesses? Tax breaks galore!

The US government doesn't have time for civic services. We're too busy buying military hardware from defense contractors (who dodge taxes as much as possible) in order to supply global peacekeeping oil securing efforts.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 27, 2020

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Not surprised. I was half expecting him to be a closet Alberta chud already considering his style and him living in the backwoods of northern BC (which leans fairly heavily conservative due to their proximity to Alberta and distance from civilization, but at least they don't have enough people to gently caress the rest of the province over in elections).

Pretty sure he had a South Park grade political-correctness-gone-mad freakout a while back when he did a ruler that had a "oval office hair thickness" gauge on it and people said "dude that's not exactly kosher".

Yeah his video a few days ago pushed me over the edge to unsubscribe as well. He's just smart enough to be a danger to himself and others and I can't stand how he doubles down on every little thing.

The cunthair ruler debacle annoyed me too. It was a nice ruler otherwise and I wanted to give him money for it, but I didn't want a tool that expressed measurements in cunthairs sitting on my desk next to smart woman engineers who I respect.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 28, 2020

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Wait....He offers for sale a ruler based in oval office hair measurements? What in the gently caress, I wonder how his wife feels about that.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/464202928/one-rule-to-ruler-them-all-cheeky-jokes?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

Check the gap width gauge on the right in the second picture.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

On one hand, Biden could be doddering and ineffectual and it would be better than actively careening off a cliff. On the other hand, I'm just about ready to disavow myself of this country. Floyd George's murder has me all hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I have heard that second hand tools are widely available on Craigslist.