Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Rhyno posted:

Today we bought a paint sprayer and why the gently caress didn't I do this a year ago.

What kind of a paint sprayer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I had a dream that I bought a small Kei car that you could just mash the accelerator in and it would make go noises and be fun. Was kinda sad when I woke up and realized that it was just a dream. :(

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah same here. Might have to plan it for next summer. Road trip there and maybe combine with another bucket list road trip (following the allied invasion starting on the normandy beaches). Just have to get enough time off for it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Enjoy some motorhome crash testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuNOarORALM

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
RV crash safety is pretty horribe. But as a compensation link: https://mubi.com - for once sponsored videos actually led to something good. 30 day trial of movies that are chosen by the site. Watching some random french film about a german officer living with a french family during the war and it's good. Well worth a sign up if you are bored and feeling like watching some movies that aren't super anglosaxian / american.

Also, I just walked past a 70's GTV 2000 which rekindled my need for a GTV6. :(

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 9, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Oh god, a Celica Supra showed up for sale... One of the coolest body shapes, but I seem to remember that parts are hard to come by... Still...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

meatpimp posted:

The roundy first gen or the angular second gen? I remember Dad shopping back in the early '80s and the original roundy Supra just came out. He was looking at it and decided to wait. I'm glad he did. He ended up getting one of the first second gen cars. That was one of my first "cool car" experiences. The angular design was a huge departure, especially the sport package that he got with the fender flares, chunky wheels and speed. Not fast by today's metrics (in fact, quite slow in comparison), but it was one hell of a car.

Yeah the second gen angular mid 80's one. Jesus it's cool.
But yeah, the parts availability is what's putting me off. I'd think Toyota would be using the same stuff for many cars, (engine, transmission etc) but I guess not?

Humphreys posted:

Show and tell

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 10, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The ad makes it sound really well cared for and in great condition. IIRC correct you're from way down south tho? If you're serious and with the caveat that I don't really know much about them, I could look at it for ya. All the coming week is completely full, so sadly I don't really have time until next weekend (16-17th).

Yep, from Skåne. Thanks for the offer, I'll have to clear it with the wife first though before contacting the guy and perhaps setting it up. 6 ½h drive or going by train for 4½h is a bit meaty though. I'm also second guessing if I trust a 35-year old car to do the 6½h drive back haha.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Appreciate the help with the MK2 Supra on the last page or so, but after asking some about the car and doing more research I really don't think it's a good "beginner" classic for me. Especially since going 6 hours one way to discover that I won't fit in it or I don't like driving it is a massive waste of time. I think I'm going to take it slower and find something European and test drive it and see if I even like the vintage experience.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The only risk is if they decide to hang around crowds or get in an accident and have to go to the hospital. Other than that it's fine. Probably healthier to go in an RV and go for walks in nature than to sit home and get fat. To be honest, much of the lockdown strategies are not very evidence based neither. I can't stand people who walk around with plastic gloves as soon as they go out and then proceed to never take them off and just use their hands like they would normally, which is as bad (probably even worse because of the false sense of protection). In heatlhcare we use them for specific tasks and then dispose of them as they are useless and just spread contaminants after they are used for that specific task. Much better to wash hands and use hand sanitizer frequently.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Only 45k people die every year in US from shootings

Lol if that's true then - "58,318 US dead" in the whole Vietnam war. Must be nice having almost a whole war in deaths every year...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of batteries, came across this company yesterday:
https://www.deadweightindustries.co.uk/

Reducing weight from 15-25kg to 2-5.5kg is pretty cool.

Sure easier than stopping eating that Big Mac with extra cheeeese.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 13, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I have a CTEK automatic one as well. Decided to go with something well known and good instead of the cheap store branded ones that are scary cheap. CTEK ones aren't that expensive neither.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Previa_fun posted:

I'm still driving 30 miles every weekday because I'm an essential worker (medical logistics) and my state is going "welp time to open up" already.

Also some of my coworkers are the dumbest motherfuckers in the world.

Here's a teaser. This is actually someone I used to work with who is way off the deep end. Surely people on the front lines are more sane...

Oh. Well he's right I mean viruses are small but masks aren't used to protect the wearer either...

gently caress me running. As an American I'm sorry my people can't fathom doing something that doesn't personally benefit themselves.

To be fair, there are many valid points (and some really stupid points) in those pictures. Problem is that the idiots posting them don't understand even the basics anyway, so it doesn't matter if some points are correct.
However, improperly used gear will at best negate the point of using them, and at worst do more harm than good. Gloves are pointless unless you use them for a specific task and then remove them. It's much better to frequently wash your hands and use sanitizer. When we go into rooms with COVID19 patients we wear gloves and then remove them (and all the other protective gear in a strict order) before going outside the room (and wash our hands). You see all these people walking around touching everything with their drat gloves (their shopping, phones, face, wallet, etc) because of the false sense of security.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I've heard stories about people dying from leaving their masks on too long as well from lack of oxygen and/or carbon monoxide. One story was some old guy in his car wearing a mask that crashed and killed someone else, and another one about some kids in Korea wearing masks during gym class or some poo poo. Not sure if the stories are true but it sounds like people wearing an N95 mask 24/7 out of fear could be a problem

That too. I can't find any exact data, but they are single use so very likely they'll be "saturated" by the end of the day anyway. The air flow restriction is absolutely a real thing and the FDA warns people who are already at risk from using them too long.
I saw two old people sitting with surgical masks in their car while driving yesterday...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I dunno about the US, but in Sweden tanking the market = tanking all the pensions for normal people. So you gently caress the poor either way.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Rhyno posted:

Most Americans no longer earn pensions through their jobs.
oh... :smith:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Humphreys posted:

For many years I've been slackly bitching that my 'Super-Annunciation' retirement fund will be somehow absorbed into the government funds. I'm seriously tempted to draw as much as I can from it within the new rules. I have zero trust in our system.

Yeah I'm planning for my retirement being funded by my personal savings. Anything I get pension-wise will be a bonus.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Christ I hate it when someone selling a car I want on CL has contact by email only, pretty sure 75% of the time it goes right into spam and they never see it, is there anyway around that? Is it because of my lovely Yahoo account?

On the other hand it's 100% understandable. I managed to (even after double checking) miss a 0 at the end of my price on the car I was selling and my lord was I spammed to death. People used the reg number to find my name and began calling my wife since my number (thankfully) isn't listed online. They absolutely terrorized us until I managed to update the listing, which took about 30 minutes.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So a bit of a follow up from my post in Terrible Car stuff where I was going to see a Fiat 124 Coupé. Went there yesterday and did a pretty thorough check as well as a test drive.
The good:
¤ Seems like a pretty honest car, no (as Uncle Tony would say) obvious fuckery a-foot . They just sorted the brakes enough for it to pass inspection and left everything else.
¤ Fiat Twin-cam engines sound insane. drat cool sound. Oh and the manual gearbox felt fantastic to use.
¤ The car had been repainted sometime in its life to white, and I couldn't find much (if any) signs of over-use of bondo. Checked all the edges for wobblyness and sloppy sanding as well as went round with a magnet. At one part where the paint was flaking off, there was no bondo underneath. Some bubble spots etc, but don't really care as I'd remove the paint panel by panel anyway and redo the whole car. The boot (trunk) was free from anything more than light surface rust. All in all, the body was pretty rust free except for the four corners of the car where is curves under the car, and passing inspection here should mean that the chassis is too.

Which kinda brings me to the bad:
¤ Undercoating. Oh dear. I think this picture kinda represents what I found. This is one of the driver side jacking points:

While this was the worst, and the passenger side ones felt solid when knocking with my hand on them, it wouldn't surprise me if it's a :can: of rust underneath all that undercoating. Talked to the dealer about it, apparently super popular in the 80's to throw this kind of undercoating on everything.
¤ The internet wasn't kidding when they talk about the "Italian driving position". Jesus christ I'm 6'4" with long legs. I fit torso wise, but my right leg was jammed between the center console/steering wheel/gear with the knee and foot joints at weird and super uncomfortable angles and I had to sit far away from the steering wheel for my legs to even fit, so I couldn't properly reach the steering wheel lol. Some serious modification would be necessary for me to be able to drive one of these.
¤ I'm not an expert, but my gut says that using coolant hoses to route the fuel filler opening to the gas tank isn't right, and might have been why it smelled heavily of fuel in the boot (drat, picture got blurry):

The mechanicals seemed fine. It obviously needs all bushings replaced etc as everything is probably older than me. Steering was a bit vague. Oh and the car had a tendency to almost skip/jump forward when in first gear and low speeds. Bad fuel delivery at that speed?

All in all, great learning experience. Never driven anything older than 1998 before, so I was a bit nervous about hating it. Didn't, and can really see myself in a classic car. Also great learning experience to go through inspecting the car. I forgot to check stuff like the dipstick for carbon, coolant for sludge etc. I did look at the exhaust when they started it, a puff of blue smoke then nothing (which is how it should be, right?).
I won't be driving >7 hours in total to look a car any more though. poo poo sucks.

Edit: Also, I think there is a big disconnect between how much I think it's worth and how much they think it's worth. Yes it's a rare car, but it's not very valuable which just got proven today when an AC coupe shows up in better condition for 60% of the price...

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 17, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah that one sucks, don't buy it. Also buy an AC 1608 if you can find one they look 100x better and have the best engine. But I didn't realize you are so tall. A 124 is probably not for you. I don't mind the seating position, it's a little weird but not bad, but I'm 5'10, not too heavy, and pretty equal in limb and torso. My dad is similar to your dimensions and he doesn't really fit in most of those 70s roadsters.

The skipping is probably gearbox or clutch related if it's at low vehicle speeds rather than engine speeds, another reason to pass. A little smoke on startup is pretty normal.

Yeah I keep coming back to that I might just be too big. I mean everything can be modified, but still. The AC is great looking, but probably even rarer. I remember asking on the Swedish Alfa club about what can be done to the driving position on the GTV6 (one of my attainable dream cars) and I remember them talking about spacer for the steering wheel and removing part of the substructure of the seat to get it a bit lower.
Anyway I think I'm going to try to go see as many classics as possible that are of interest and not rush it. Learned a ton from inspecting this car. Thanks for the help :).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Buy it. That's my favourite Supra. I have a Mk3 but would hand it over even for a ratty looking Celica Supra. It's the best looking Supra by far.

Forgot to ask when you replied this. The MK3 looks badass as well, but I see a ton of hate of it online. Slow, flexing body, etc. How do you find it?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's not a sports car, it was never really intended to be despite it being used in races (which it very rarely won, proving the point). It is however an extremely comfortable tourer (the seats are fantastic), sounds lovely and looks pretty great too. I'll never pretend it's an amazing car, anyone who does is stupid but for the time period it's a cushy cruiser with enough go to get out of its own way and still great fun on the odd track day and doing the occasional skid. If you get a chance to drive one, do it, they don't take much persuading to go sideways which as you can imagine is even more fun in the wet.

Even family cars are faster than a Mk3 these days but that's not the reason you buy a classic :v:

I see. Kinda aligns with what I'v read online as well. Thanks. :)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Goose game looks epic. How have I not seen this before.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I like baking breads, but loathe baking cakes etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The worst part is that I doubt any US president will be president for less than 2 periods now.