Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The checks were apparently delayed somewhat due to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What are they actually for?

They're for satellite internet but due to the volume of them and having them in a much lower orbit than traditional satellite internet the speed, latency, and capacity is supposed to be much better than existing satellite internet.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Coredump posted:

Which site did we use to make these? I need an update for 2020.

Maybe blingee? I can't remember but that's what popped into my head when I saw that gif.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

It took me plus three of my neighbors to get it in the house. Might as well have bought a grand piano.
Sounds like my pool table at my old house. I built a sled for the (one piece) slate and bolted some brackets to my garage floor so we could use rope and pulleys to slowly slide the slate and then table down the stairs on moving blankets. Getting it down there worked great but removing it is the new owner's problem.

Congrats on the new toy!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

My dad had a pipe burst on the upper floor of his house while he was out of town and the amount of damage was amazing. Insurance covered it, but I'm surprised they don't insist on some kind of device to detect leaks if they'll write you coverage.

I'm planning on getting something like that at some point. This one popped up in my Amazon suggestions but I've done zero research on this topic so I don't know if it's any good. https://smile.amazon.com/Moen-Chrome-Volume-Control900001/dp/B00C03D01Q?th=1

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Merch arrived. I'm sure this will improve my bracket fabrication skills immensely

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

blk posted:

How much is everyone actually driving these days? I think I'm down to 100 miles/month.

I'm working from home and only going out for groceries, pet food, and the occasional home improvement thing so...50 miles a month?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I just saw someone gently caress up mask wearing in nearly every way. Someone driving with a surgical mask only over their mouth and they grabbed the outside of the mask to adjust it and then immediately rubbed their eye with the finger tips that just touched the outside of the mask.
I hope that was a fresh mask.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

meatpimp posted:

decided that we'll go mid-week when nobody's there. :shrug:

This is the secret. I've switched to doing all my home improvement shopping during the week and I'm interacting with way fewer people and saving a ton of time.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It's really good. I'll second that there's a lot of fun to be had just running around as a honking agent of chaos.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've been making them as well due to Alton's video
https://youtu.be/dworC_RqzHw

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Don't ever open RDP up to the internet. I haven't computer janitored in a while so I'm not sure what the preferred remote support tool is these days but I would probably go with teamviewer or something like that.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Adderall/amphetamine salts cranked my heart rate and not only lowered my appetite it made it nearly impossible for me to eat anything. Definitely helped me focus and calmed down the brain parts for a week and then it started making me really anxious. I stopped taking it daily and only used it sparingly when studying for certifications.

Ritalin/methylphenidate doesn't significantly affect my heart rate, it lowers my appetite but I can still eat fine (and appetite returns to normal when it wears off), and doesn't really do anything negative to my mental state. It doesn't help me with focus as much as Adderall but I can take it daily without dieing.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

And yeah it is expensive, and because the VA refuses to prescribe me anything that's a controlled substance I have to pay for it out of pocket, thanks to the government taking such good care of it's veterans!

Look into free prescription drug discount plans. There are some group plans that are open to everyone. You don't even have to sign up. You just get a code off the website/app.

Galler fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 20, 2020

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Abbreviated explanation: water and flour creates gluten. The physical action of mixing the two creates gluten faster. Managing gluten development is very important when baking.

Interesting gluten management example, the pie dough recipe I use (from America's Test Kitchen) replaces some water with vodka to reduce the amount of gluten that develops while still creating a dough.

Galler fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 20, 2020

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got a 15'x30' front yard that is maintaned by the HOA and the rest of my property is mostly hardscape. I don't like being in an HOA and I would like a bit more property but I'm pretty happy with not having to maintain a yard anymore.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I highly recommend you all do the needful very soon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j5e-y2JCgo

e: now with the correct video

Galler fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 25, 2020

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I paid $666 (seriously $666.19 hail Satan) for two movers and one truck for just under 5 hours and it was worth every penny. I still moved a bunch of stuff myself due to covid related timing and I hated every minute of it.

I hope I only move one more time in my life and hopefully it's like 10 years from now.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

I don't sticker the cars so much anymore. bikes still get em.
Hard cases, particularly on non-touring bikes, look great covered in stickers from all the places the bike has been. I just have big reflective stickers on mine in another desperate attempt to not get plowed into.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Thanks to this channel I really want an excavator
https://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18 but I also want a skid steer and have no yard for either of them.
Mid size excavators seem to make short work of trees and stumps. According to the professional running that channel removing stumps is a lot easier if they're still attached to the tree since you can use the tree as leverage. That might only work with an excavator though.

So maybe rent an excavator or just pay someone to handle trees/stumps and get a piece of equipment that will handle the rest of the jobs.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Printer chat: Epson started making color inkjet printers with refillable ink tanks at some point. Print quality and cost per page seems reasonable. I'm considering picking one up though probably not until I can go out hiking and picture taking again.
https://www.amazon.com/Epson-EcoTank-Wireless-Cartridge-Free-Supertank/dp/B07Q1NYMDR

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, this year's primary really confirmed that the Democratic party is owned by a different set of oligarchs that support socially liberal policies, as long as those policies don't effect their own bottom line. We were let down pretty hard by a constitution that promotes a bicameral system, I think. I'll always hold out hope that we can right the ship, but I dunno if I'll see it in my lifetime, things like socialized healthcare and free higher education (at least for some), are not optional for a wealthy first-world country, IMO.

Our two party system is hosed and slowing progress but the primary results weren't completely negative. Bernie, Yang, and Warren did help drag the dnc to the left. Biden is at least talking up things he would have made fun of if not for all the votes Bernie got. The dnc is not good but ultimately the people that actually voted picked Biden. As always we need young people to loving vote and as always they went 'meh' and let the Olds handle it. Short of mandatory voting that's probably not going to change.

Corona is at least making social policies much more appealing to many people. Positive change isn't going to happen as quickly as we want but it will happen.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

is it really though? i am seeing a bunch of slackjawed arfcom yokels braying about their freedoms while cosplaying

There are plenty of knuckle dragging troglodytes out there screeching at the top of their lungs but that doesn't mean they're the majority. Most people just go about their lives more or less oblivious to what's going on around them but the pandemic is hard to ignore. There are a lot of people with good jobs that are getting laid off and are having to experience social services for the first time. Even more people are watching friends go through that. The fact that a whole bunch of people are making more money being unemployed then when they were working is getting some gears turning. That, in my opinion, is a big part of why the GOP wants reopen 'the economy' and stop the extra unemployment funding.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The PO fuckery on heavy equipment can be pretty incredible and part prices can be absurd. The latter might be at least partially responsible for the former.

Here's an example:
https://youtu.be/pEMgV4R7p8Q
$750 joystick and nearly $800 to repack two hydraulic cylinders

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

zavvi usually has sets significantly cheaper and stuff seems to go on sale fairly often. I got the big Liebherr excavator for $350 (usually $450 in the US) a month or so ago. Still expensive for a box of plastic but it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

E: also, in other news if you want to take your mind off things: rocket launch is a go and in 9 minutes from now
https://youtu.be/bIZsnKGV8TE

Dragon has separated from stage 2 and is on its way to the ISS. First stage stuck the landing on a drone ship in the ocean.

SpaceX was already running circles around Boeing and the rest of the space industry but now it appears they're dunking on Boeing like the Harlem Globetrotters.

Galler fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 30, 2020