Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

From the April thread, since *someone* went and closed it before the middle of the month. GOD!

STR posted:

NO IT'S STILL APRIL DAMNIT

(and I reaaaaaaaaaally don't wanna be the thread title in an archived thread... just in case I do die. that's not how I wanna be remembered)

I do. If I die, I want *someone* to be wishing I wouldn't, much less an entire subforum.

STR posted:

I mean, you're not supposed to see oil and refrigerant bubbling out of the back of a compressor, are you?

(better than an engine, though )

Just whack some RTV on there. It'll be fine. Or JB Weld if that doesn't work. Guaranteed!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Your not my supervisor!

AND gently caress SUBARU OUTBACKS

I like mine.
I was toying with doing the cam covers and plugs this weekend, but instead I will be dealing with all the destruction of walls and such (necessarily) wrought by my plumbers this week. Saw- and drywall dust will be my life, but I will have functioning drains for the next 50 years. Not that I intend to be in the house for that long. Of course, I didn'te intend to be in the house *this* long (20 years so far.)

Previa_fun posted:

I've noticed a poo poo ton more covid denial popping up on facespace the past day or so. Is this the new right winger talking point?

It's the same folks who were making sure everyone knew about their guns and ammo a month and a half ago and were convinced either mad max or civil war 2 was coming.

Well, you see, the massive hoard of sick/dying people didn't show up and overwhelm the hospitals, so obviously it was all a hoax. Never mind that was the intended result of all the social distancing and sequestering. Also, right wingers are uneducated, entitled fuckwits. I have "friends" and friends of friends on FB literally claiming that they would vote for Satan Himself before voting Democrat, because *reasons*. They genuinely, really believe that Democrats are out to take everything they have and give it to... I don't know, black people?

Ferremit posted:

Finally convinced dad that he probably needs to upgrade his 1969 Massey Ferguson 135 tractor on the farm before it loving kills him, so now we're going tractor shopping tomorrow... And hes moaning about having to spend money on not dying. Mum has also told him to buy a new loving tractor before this one kills him too.

This is the same machine that has ended up sliding down a hill towards a dam totally out of control until the front end loader bucket bit into the ground TWICE now, once with me on it, once with him on it. Its 2wd, No power steering, No safety equipment beyond a ROPS cage, Barely functional even tho they're fully adjusted brakes, mediocre hydraulic performance, a front end loader with so much wear in the bucket pins you could get your pinkie in the bore with the pin, leaking hydraulic rams, leaking EVERYTHING else (because its a massey), its time for it to go to someone elses farm. Who doesnt have nothing but hills.

He's moaning about having to actually buy a new tractor (he got the massey for $3500 10 years ago because he matched the dealer trade in at his work) and Im just wondering what colour we'll end up getting- Its gotta have 4wd, front end loader and 4 in 1 bucket. Whether its a 3 or 4 series Deere, a 3000 series Kubota, A Case IH Farmall or a New Holland T3 or T4 I dont know!

It has ROPS? Amazing!
My dad has a pile of older tractors, but normally uses a massive Allis from 1975 or so. At least it has a cab. It's a big boy - I forget the model. 7030 or 7050, I think, looking at pics online. Not a monster like a production farm would use, but big enough. 6' tall rear tires, big 6-pot turbodiesel. He's pretty good about fixing crap that doesn't work, though, so it's in pretty decent shape. And not too many hills. My sister, on the other hand, knowing nothing about mechanics and not wishing to wait on dad to fix things, bought a new Kubota several years ago when she bought her property, also a big boy. It's verra nice. Definitely a far cry from Grandad's Ford 8N I used as a kid.

Rhyno posted:

Not written up!

And one of the deniers was suspended for panic inciting behavior. Memo went out warning anyone spewing misinformation to essentially shut the gently caress up.

That is welcome news. Any time reason triumphs over ignorance is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

With respect to the thread title, I'm thinking you don't have enough:

(You have no idea how happy it makes me that such a thing actually exists, and sad that I can't get it here in the US, just to have on the shelf.)

rdb posted:

I think the T4 is italy. The local, as in drive it home new holland dealer has a powerstar that might be the right size and a decent deal, but finding actual reliability data is hard. John Deere dealer I havenít checked out because they are only open 9-5 weekdays and closed weekends. Like a gently caress you to anyone with a job, but I see more people using those than anything else.

Well, yes, but you see a lot of people eating McDonald's, and riding Harleys, too. Ubiquity does not equal quality. Plus the whole proprietary systems thing loving over farmers using the large units rubs me the wrong way intensely (she said.)

edit:
LOL:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Iím not talking about emissions on tractors. Iím talking about the major electronics systems. Look up the Motherboard article on JD vs. Right To Repair.
I really donít give a poo poo about what sort of farmer they are or what kickbacks they get, requiring factory mechanics only can eat a dick regardless.

Anyway, Iím sitting at home in the dark. About 4-4:30 the power started flickering and then blinked hard a few times, mit spitzen sparken outside. I figured the gusting wind blew the lines into the trees (both just the other side of my fence) or vice versus. Then I noted one of the trees trunks smoking near the top. *Then* I noticed the line dangling from the pole just off the corner of my lot. The other end managed to zap a few more times behind my neighbor to the rightís yard before settling down.

We both called Oncor to report the downed line. It took them until 6 to kill the power. With a notice that it would be expected out until 4:30 am. Nice. I canít game. Iím canít sleep, and neither can my wife (we both use CPAPs). And I have yet to see a loving truck out there. Good job, wait until dark you shits. Meanwhile, my neighbor to the left still has power, and is having their semi weekly family noisy party in their back yard with like a 100-bulb string of lights over their deck.
Got some LEDs and a couple hurricane lanterns.

At least the plumbers finished the plumbing. Still some details and closing the walls, but the plumbing is now functional, and Iím happy with the work that was done.

I hope power is back tomorrow. I need to get started on repairs to the bottom of the kitchen cabinets and drywall work everywhere else.

We did at least go have dinner at Chiliís, since Phase 1 of relaxed restrictions started today. Wouldnít have bothered if the power was not out, but didnít want to eat in the dark.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

Oh look, just found out the government is trying to ban a bunch of my hobby because it's scary and use, as typical, with little to no logic at all. Of course today couldn't end on a high note.

I am sure this will be a very smooth and cost effective government run program.

Details and location? Sorry, I donít remember what country you are in for certain, and there are a lot of hobbies that could apply to, to be honest.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Catching up - I apologize for the dump. Didn't have time to shitpost this weekend.

slidebite posted:

Oh, no problem and totally my fault. Canada and firearms.

A horrible mass shooting in Nova Scotia by a resident who was legally not able to own firearms (unlicensed) and killed people with smuggled US firearms appears to be the catalyst.

Making knee jerk decisions that impacts tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people based on terrible occasions makes the best policy!

It's going to be a total cluster gently caress. Absolutely guaranteed.

I'm at a loss to comprehend how more laws would have prevented someone who was unable to purchase and own firearms under the current laws from purchasing the same illegal firearms illegally that were already illegal in Canada regardless of who purchased them. Redundancy intended for effect.

InitialDave posted:

Who says white people have no culture?

Humphreys posted:

That's beautiful! But needs more flames on the mask

jonathan posted:

what's the workflow for getting images into a project thread these days ? gently caress me if im going to manually copy and paste a bunch of imgur ur;'s or whatever I did 10 years ago. What's the easiest way ?

That *is* the easiest way.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just saw the line of Starlink satellites go across the sky and it's honestly one of the coolest things I've seen. I appreciate that they intend to make them less visible, but for now it's super cool to witness.

Astronomers, both pro and amatuer, are hating on the Starlinks pretty bad. They'll spread out a bit eventually, but there are still concerns.
Personally... eh. We have space telescopes, and rural parts of the world need internet more than we need to discover new galaxies that we can't reach (yet.)

Regarding teens and COVID-19. This is my daughter's senior year as well. In her case, it doesn't affect her mas much, since she's largely apathetic about school, and Aspergers/introvert to boot, so all the social aspects are largely moot. It's hard getting her to do the actual schoolwork, though, so she may actually fail and get to do it all again, which would be just *lovely*. It's maddening - she doesn't even have to do well. They're doing pass/fail on the the work since Shelter In Place, and GPA will be based on work completed prior. All she's got to do is *do* it, and we're having a hard time doing that. I try to keep out of it and just support my wife, because we're too similar and just lock horns to no good effect.

kastein posted:

I honestly hope he sells a billion Teslas because I want more idiots crashing them into things and the hulks flooding copart so I can Tesla-ify every ICE powered jalopy I own. I mean the Justy will likely get Leaf guts instead due to size but a Tesla powered Roadmaster and Honcho sound like a party to me.

I'm with you on this.

Rhyno posted:

Today we bought a paint sprayer and why the gently caress didn't I do this a year ago.

I bought one a few weeks ago, and said the same thing. The answer, of course, was "it's several hundred dollars", but I can deal with that now.

Rhyno posted:

Grayco something or other. I'll post the model when I am home.

I got the Graco Project Painter Plus, their cheapest consumer model ($259 at Home Depot), and it's more than adequate for my needs. I don't plan on spraying 100 gal/year.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Jesus loving Tapdancing Christ.

So whenever anyone moves out of an "old" apartment in my complex, they spend 2 months tearing it apart to remodel it (and speaking of, my current apt is listed as being available in late July to early August, my move-out date is late May). I just woke up from a nice nap to sledgehammers.

Opened my door. They're demoing the apt across from this one. With the front door wide open. I went over to ask if they can just close the door - the doors are insulated fire doors, and kill sound pretty well. I have a nearly deaf neighbor next door that has his TV cranked to 11 24/7, to the point that I can hear it a bit inside the car while in the parking lot, and can make out words once I'm out of the car (and definitely figure out what he's watching once I'm in the breezeway) - I DON'T HEAR A loving THING INSIDE THIS APARTMENT. I knocked and just asked nicely "can you please close the door?"

"No habla pandeja, maricon!" REALLY? (google "maricon" if you want to know why this pisses me off so much, but "pandeja" isn't too nice either)

I just had a polite chat with the property manager. Well... polite in that I didn't yell or curse at them. About 1/3 of the population in this place works "essential jobs", and a decent chunk of those either work at my store on overnights, or work at a neighboring store (mostly also on overnights). Up until they started doing remodels, it was one of the more affordable apt complexes nearby. It's now one of the most expensive...and the oldest apt complex in this part of town.

All they had to do was close the loving door. They're not going in and out until they've knocked out all of the kitchen, the bathroom, a few walls, and a few ceiling fans. That's gonna be at least a few days.

Playing with fire assuming that someone in Texas doesn't speak Spanish, there, pendejo. We tend to pick up a lot by necessity - especially the insults.
Insulting the residents of the property you're working for ain't terribly smart, neither.

edit:

Safety Dance posted:

My wife started playing Animal Crossing, which is awesome because she really seems to get into it. Apr-June was supposed to be her chunk of time to go to medical conferences, etc. and that's not happening any time soon. She's also "on vacation" this week, which is an incredibly meaningless term. A few of my friends from college have been playing since it came out and I need to figure out how to introduce them so they can give each other stuff.

I'm a little jealous that she finishes all the quests on our island before I can get to them though!

My wife wants to get a Switch, for that and a couple other games, think. I'm not *completely* opposed, but we already have an Xbox One, 360, and PS3 connected to the TV. Minde you, only the One gets used with any regularity. The PS3 can probably come out and jut be connected if I get a wild hair to play Uncharted, Gran Turismo, or God Of War. Or not. I think I still have inputs on the receiver. If she wants to spend the $300, I'd rather spend it on an Xbox One X. Not sure I want to until I see what the Series X will do and cost, though. So I guess she can get a Switch if it's her money and she can find one. I bought all the other consoles.
I want to play Splatoon

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 4, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

gently caress hail.

Sometimes the planet needs to remind us exactly how much we're in charge.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I need glasses. Oh dear that was a right ballsup

Can't wait to hear what the problem was.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

In Texas, at least North Texas and South Texas, where I have lived, basements on residences are pretty much non-existent. Large buildings have them, but not houses. Only the (very) occasional root/storm cellar, and that's usually only *mostly* underground - usually it's an artificial hillock.
Which is why jonathan's post confused me for a minute. Grand Prairie, TX is a suburb of Dallas.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

jonathan posted:

Oh yeah, different spelling. Grande Prairie.

Oooooo, Grawn-day!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If it starts then I'll say. But goddamn glasses needed with multiple people

I, myself, have never been in a situation where the thing I'm looking for was right in front of my face and failed to notice it
I'm lying like a dog.

quote:

I AM NOT A RHYNO

I have not had sex on floor

Altho given I wont be able to see my wife for some time due to borders being closed I think it'll be abut 2 seconds after seeing her again. Which might be embarrassing if it's at an airport.

LOL, could be awkward.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm reminded of how I learned that neither of my brothers have even the slightest bit of mechanical aptitude between the two of them. They're both sharp guys in other ways, which made this all the more amusing. Youngest brother had a 280ZX (that my wife had given him) and the battery died in it. They replaced the battery but afterwards it was still acting stone dead, so I got tasked with figuring it out.

Popped the hood, grabbed a multimeter, and attempted to probe the battery.

They left the plastic cap on the negative terminal.

You can't do anything but laugh at that... and remind them of it at every opportunity, if you're anything like my family (and myself, of course.)

I'm currently playing Red Dead Redemption II (for the first time through) right now, and this is got my finger twitching for the hunter tracking trigger.

STR posted:

Dallas and Ft Worth will always disagree about which gets to claim GP as a suburb. It's half in Dallas county, half in Tarrant.

I say it's a suburb of Ft Worth.

Huh. I didn't know that. It's also partly in Ellis county, even.

I'm a bit salty about the little strip of "Fort Worth" that exists along 360 near my house, so that FW can claim part of the taxes from DFW airport (ny agreement, when it was built.) There's a club that's taking advantage of it - they're way too loud way too late at night, and the city they're *actually* in, if it weren't for this legal fiction, can't do anything about it, and Fort Worth is 15-20 miles away. They do send cops to patrol every so often, but generally don't give a poo poo, and definitely aren't slapping the club owner anywhere near hard enough. Or weren't. They may have finally stepped up. I haven't seen any bitching about it on Nextdoor lately. I mean, I could hear the club from my house some nights, and I'm several miles away. I can only imagine how loud it was in the same neighborhood.

STR posted:

More of a "if you're really my friend, you'll move in with me into a bigger apartment".

Just. NO. Not only will that break her heart anytime I'm with ANY guy around her (friends or otherwise), it'll be awkward as gently caress bringing someone home. And I've had a new place lined up for months anyway.

I'm already packed for a few days at another place. Just trying to finish lunch before I leave.

Yeah, gently caress that poo poo with a flaming razordick on fire (TM: kastein).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

rdb posted:

I donít like the concept of a space in my house that I dread going into, either because of what lives there or ďwhat is it this time, and how much is it going to cost?Ē.

You have just described a house in general.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Wait what

When did I say this

I donít have the exact post, but I saved that quote in my quotables file, for emergencies. It appealed to me, sang the song of my people.
Something about the house or one of the cars, probably. Or they stupid way something was designed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

I feel like I'm really running out of patience for my current job. Things started out so well there, it seemed like they cared about their employees, advancement was quick, and things seemed nice.
But now that one rear end in a top hat has essentially seized control, things are so much more frustrating.

Like, if I got out on a job, and get a specific set of measurements, ask the guy telling me if he needs anything. Like, no, are you absolutely sure, and he says he's good, I'm gonna assume he's good. He's ordered and exhaust fan before. He knows everything that goes into it.

But no. It's still somehow my fault, because "I should assume we don't have any of the right measurements on any job."

So like, I shouldn't trust anyone to do their job correctly? I shouldn't trust anyone I work with to do the job their paid for. WTF.

Between that, and the looming threat of pay cuts, which for the guys at our level, would be a double pay cut, with reduced hours and hourly rates, I'm seriously just on autopilot at this point. I see no reason to give anything extra, especially since I'm not being given the time for the office stuff I'd usually do.

gently caress it, maybe I'll move back to FL at this point, but these last few weeks have been super frustrating.

That's frustrating, man, sorry you have to deal with it. Like, why do some people just seem to want to make your job more difficult for no good reason?

meatpimp posted:

It's never been my thing, so I haven't looked into it, but out of curiousity, here's a couple stupid questions --

At what point do you switch to a fifth wheel? The one Tremek linked looks really long. Also, do people ride IN the trailer during transit, or do you need to pack into the truck?

Not sure on the first point, but it's more weight than physical size. To the second point, you're not supposed to be in the trailer when it's moving. Most of them, you wouldn't want to be, anyway - the slideouts block access when they're closed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Usually, they are also about as safe in a crash as a wet paper bag.

That, too.

meatpimp posted:

Which leads to my next question -- when do you decide to get a bus instead of a truck/trailer setup? Are buses / motorhomes that much more expensive?

blindjoe posted:

Motorhomes always seem like a worse idea - when you get to your destination with a truck/trailer, you can unhook the truck and use it like a normal vehicle.
When you are in a motorhome, you need to pull a small car or something as you can't drive a huge thing easily around town.

Also engines etc wear out in a motorhome, but you can always buy a new truck (though from all the posts it seems that everything else leaks/breaks etc after a few years instead).

This is from my grandparents experience with a 1972 home done conversion van - so maybe modern/non-home made motorhomes are better. Though the neighbours motorhome seems to spend more time at the repair shop on warranty (a 3 ish year old large box motorhome) than it does in their driveway. They use it for 4 months a year, and basically leaks every time.

That seems right to me.
I'd think a motorhome might make sense if you were traveling a lot, but a trailer you can park when not traveling and still use the tow vehicle as needed. You can also pick the tow vehicle to meet your style and needs. Probably easier to sell the trailer, too, if one no longer needs/wants to travel.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motor homes:
I think I would definitely prefer a trailer, given those videos. Second would be a van or cab and chassis conversion, where at least the passenger compartment was designed to offer some protection. Or a motor coach, AKA a bus, but $$$$.

everdave posted:

I just found this on one of my Japanese campers. Dear God where have you been all of my life? Get one of these in 10 too and I can do everything I need on my imports. Is this a thing I was just not aware of?

I think I have an ancient 9/16" version of that. Just the one, somehow, not a set.

stevobob posted:

Shipping containers don't have great structural integrity? Aren't they designed to stack 20 high on rough oceans?

Captain McAllister posted:

Yeah, but he's saying once they're converted into house pieces, they lose their integrity.

They're really only strong on the stacking points, on/near the corners.

meatpimp posted:

The roundy first gen or the angular second gen? I remember Dad shopping back in the early '80s and the original roundy Supra just came out. He was looking at it and decided to wait. I'm glad he did. He ended up getting one of the first second gen cars. That was one of my first "cool car" experiences. The angular design was a huge departure, especially the sport package that he got with the fender flares, chunky wheels and speed. Not fast by today's metrics (in fact, quite slow in comparison), but it was one hell of a car.

I like them both. I almost bought an '81 way back in the late '80s, and now regret not having done so. My wife came equipped with a '78 Celica coupe when I met her, so at least I had that for a while. Wish we'd have kept that, too...

NitroSpazzz posted:

Last weekend doing dishes after meal prep we noticed the sink was draining slow. Tried drano and a snake, cleaned everything we could access under the sink. Got progressively worse during the week. Father-in-law and friend came over today to take a look at it since I'm basically disabled and can't do anything over head. Started at a low point in the plumbing, was clogged near solid. 3ft+ of clog. Cut out most of it, cleaned the rest then fixed the slope issue and put it all back together.

The smell...at least it wasn't toilet.

kastein posted:

I'm just glad I haven't had to fix sewer pipes for any family members in over a year. I need to add to mine a bit but digging the trench will be the hardest part.

I don't want to hear about your plumbing issues.
This was mine last week:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

Thermite. You need to treat it like a railroad tie that needs weldin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRZFTJe22Tg

Sooooo, if you watch the whole thing, it looks like the thermite did gently caress-all to the block:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRZFTJe22Tg#t=210s
(3:30 if that doesn't jump to it)

Kind of impressive, maybe? More thermite needed?

Ether Frenzy posted:

Only 45k people die every year in US from shootings so this 70+ thousand in 2 months dead from the 'Rona is totally just libs overreacting!

You got stats on that? Not doubting - I want to use it as ammunition should I feel the need to waste my time slapping down CHUDs.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can't actually slap down CHUDs because they're too stupid to understand

I realize it's a fool's errand, hence the "should I feel the need to waste my time".

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

blk posted:

How much is everyone actually driving these days? I think I'm down to 100 miles/month.

I go into the office once a week for hands-on stuff, 12 miles each way, and very occasional trips to the store as needed. So probably around 100 miles/month. And I'm rotating 3 cars so they keep fresh(er). Been a month or more since I bought gas, which is almost a pity, it being so cheap.

Trickly chargers: I had good luck with the $5 Harbor Freight unit, with one caveat: make sure you check the water/acid level regularly if it sits a lot, and has a constant discharge/recharge, like if you have an alarm on the car. I killed the battery in my Cutlass by not checking it. The constant drain from the alarm and recharge by the trickle charger made it dry. It took a couple years, mind you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Charitably, they're poor and they need the money because the US is a hosed up place with limited social safety net and employer obligations.

Uncharitably, they're loving stupid.

It's probably a combination of the two.

It's this.
A lot of folks *can't* "just stay home" - they'de starve, lose their place to live, etc., because gently caress the poors - we need t maximize shareholder value, and make rich fucks even richer. Guess what happens when you "run the government like a business"?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

There's a new leak that Trump and his cohorts downplayed C-19 on purpose to keep from spooking the markets so yeah, definitely gently caress the poors.

poo poo, I believed that from the beginning.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Tbh, it's one thing to go to work if you feel fine, but if you are clearly showing symptoms like a loving fever and cough you are just making the situation way worse by continuing to work, infecting your co workers and possibly shutting down the place where you work to begin with and now you have no job to go back to.

That goes back to the making poor decisions under stress thing.
Also, we have a culture of selfishness, exacerbated by the current administration glorifying said culture. It's gently caress you Got Mine even when you ain't got poo poo.

Somewhat related, I found these informative infographics following the Twitter posts from Charlize Theron regarding Fury Road someone posted in the Awesome thread:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Mom's coworker and mom both tested positive. Still asymptomatic for mom, her coworker is already on a ventilator.

If y'all need me, I'll be in the darkest corner you can't find for awhile.

poo poo, dude, that's rough. Hope for the best.
Also, your mom's boss is a dick, just to catch up.
And your step-dad is an oblivious dick.

Krakkles posted:

Dude. I really hope sheís ok.

This is awful, this timeline is awful, and people need to start taking this seriously.

Ideally, Trump and Pence will get COVID-19, and put the lie to rest - but of course it will probably be spun as an assassination by the Chinese attempt or something.
Some other popular public figure dying of it might also bring the idiots around to reality. Nobody cares when it's just us plebes and olds dying.

Kazinsal posted:

STR, sorry to hear about all that. Best wishes for you guys.

The good news is that a COVID-19 vaccine trial is starting in Canada, using something developed at a public university here, so it should end up actually being available to everyone. Y'know, as long as we don't get jammed with the white house imposing some insane 10000% tariff on importing medical supplies from Canada in response to us potentially getting there before US pharma companies do.

I completely believe that the latter part is possible, given how the White House is arguing with the CDC, the federal organization created to deal with this kind of poo poo. The are so completely uninterested in protecting public health over protecting the stock market it's criminal.

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo the company fired the village idiot. No more cleaning up after someone who shouldn't have been in the department to begin with.

Sometimes miracles do happen!

mariooncrack posted:

I bought a game about a month ago and got really excited to play it. Then I found out it was a 50 gb download.

Welcome to modern gaming. If you want big, pretty games, you get pretty big file sizes.
And Microsoft wanted the XBONE to be digital download only...
Never mind that literally every game I've bought on physical disc for the Xbox One has had a huge zero-day download to install, completely negating the point of buying the physical disk - EXCEPT that you can sell the physical disc, and/or use it on any system instead of just the one you happen to be logged in on, which is not a trivial advantage.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

That can't be understated. It's like troubleshooting a basic computer problem with a senior. The most basic things need to be explicitly spelled out, and even then assume nothing. I just got off the phone with my 73 year old mother who was having printer problems and program association problems and what would have taken my literally less than 2 minutes in person was an agonizing 2 hours even with the ability of her to text me photos of what she was seeing.

Speaking of, I've literally never tried Windows remote desktop app. I'm sure once I'm tunneled in it would be a piece of cake, but how difficult is it to set up on the her side? Do ports or anything need to be opened on her router? Because if they do holy poo poo, I don't know if I could, or should attempt to walk her through that.

Galler posted:

Don't ever open RDP up to the internet. I haven't computer janitored in a while so I'm not sure what the preferred remote support tool is these days but I would probably go with teamviewer or something like that.

What he said.
Google Remote Desktop should be of help, *however*, I've noted that it does not work well with system preferences - you can see them, but you lose control when any old-school sysprefs or control panels are up in the foreground. Same thing happens with Zoom desktop sharing (which is also an option, BTW.)

everdave posted:

My Mazda Bongo Brawny fire truck ends in 7 hours on BAT and it is criminally low in the bidding department right now. This truck is fantastic, there better be a bid war at the end!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1...a-bongo-brawny/

Wish I had the scratch to throw some $$ at it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Back In My Day (TM) we did that poo poo in high school too. Home Economics (cooking/sewing), Shop (metal/wood craft), and Auto Maintenance were on offer.

They ended those programs during the last Bush presidency to fund more computers to up standardized test scores.

Eyup.
I loved Metal Shop. Learned to weld, and basics of machine tools.

Elviscat posted:

That grocery store you work for sounds like they treat their employees impressively well, I'd shop there exclusively if I lived in Texas just based on your stories.

$18 an hour plus bennies ain't rich by any means, but I'm irrationally happy that you're doing well and working for an employer that treats you well, plus all the positive you seem to be making.

I only did about a year working for a grocer, but turnover's usually pretty high and I bet you'll move up to supervisor pretty quick if you want to.

I'd shop there myself, but they don't extend this far north in TX - just their high end branch (which is still pretty good for the type of stuff they carry - bulk and healthy/organic stuff)

opengl128 posted:

I was forever salty that I missed shop and auto class at my high school by a couple years. Target shooting/archery too

Got that, too, in PE. Daisy BB guns, and I already had a better one, but still entertaining. I'm left-handed, so only had to share the archery bow with two other guys, so got a fair amount of shooting time in.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Surprise! The owner is a mechanic!

I'm not STR, there's no blow by blow account here - so just have a laugh at the latest victim of this loving car's unbelievable ability to humble anyone that touches it... because the motor that came out also completely and utterly refused to start and the motor that went in was a known working one

The car is cursed, obviously. It won't matter what engine you put in it - it's the car.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So twice now, Amazon decided to charge me for a show that was supposedly included in prime video, halfway through the series.

Basically it's "included" until you get invested in the series, then all of a sudden you are not allowed to watch unless you pay, and you're going to pay because you're not going to just stop watching halfway through the season right? What a loving racket.

Bajaha posted:

Time to fly the Jolly Roger.

This, And I refuse to feel guilty when they pull that poo poo.
Also, when there *was* just a couple of services I could subscribe to and pay for what I want to watch, but now there's, what, six of them? And ccost more than cable did in the bad old days. gently caress off.

meatpimp posted:

Suburban lawn chat:

This Ego mower just made a believer out of me. Since Monday, we've had over 4 1/2" of rain. On the highest setting, the mower still had grass 5" above the deck. I used my first small battery to get maybe 1/8 of the yard done before it died. Put it on the charger to finish up after the main battery died.
Never needed the small battery again, the main battery did everything else.

The neighbor stopped me and said "What IS that thing? I'm struggling having to bag every 2 swipes and you're just walking back and forth!"

It's that good.

Hmmm.
I will consider that one when my 20 year old MTD finally dies (if it ever does - old-school side-valve Briggs. It's been a trooper, but I'm getting tired of gas small engines.) My other candidate is Ryobi 40V, and the matching weed whacker.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meltie posted:

expensive phones are expensive.
The same company has less expensive options in their line-up that you could have chosen.

Seriously. I spent $400 on the new SE, and I'm quite happy with it. I kind of miss the big screen of my 6S+, but kinda don't miss its size in my pocket. I specifically like that the SE is just an iPhone 8 with a newer, faster processor and slightly better camera, and thus still has a physical home button with Touch ID - ne of this facial recognition poo poo (that doesn't work with COVID masks...)

fake edit: saw later posts regarding Aus. pricing, and yeah, you guys get shafted. Sorry about that. Funny thing is that I think Oz is closer to China than the US is. You'd think it would be cheaper.

Ferremit posted:

I got stuck in a perfect storm of a phone thats properly dying, Corona virus and upgrading my cars head unit.

Ive got a 64gb 6s, but its properly at end of life- battery lasts around 18 mins on LTE, 20-30 mins on wifi without being tethered to a battery pack and even on a battery pack or a charger it can reset if you ask it to do a high load task because theres a few other issues with it, and it also has a broken screen. Corona virus has also absolutely hosed supply of phones here in Aus, and our carrier choice is a lot more limited so trying to find a phone that suits you thats in stock is a pain in the arse too, plus changing carriers isnt really an easy option if you want coverage in the more remote parts of the country which I need for work. The upgrade of the head unit in the car to CarPlay meant that I couldnt use my 160gb ipod any more so i've had to shift all my music to my phone, so the 64GB of storage on the old phone wasnt really enough any more. I can stream the music, but im often in places where theres crappy or zero signal reception so I need to store it locally on the device so I can actually listen to music instead of just getting nothing due to poor reception.

Iphone SE only comes in 128gb and I wanted a 256gb phone.
Theres no stock of iphone 11's in 256gb in Australia atm.

So If I want that capacity, in an Iphone, im stuck with an 11 Pro or an 11 Pro Max.

Exactly- When I got my 6s, it was the flagship phone at the time and it wasnt a $2K device. Phones have gotten so expensive in Australia that all the carriers have had to introduce 36 month plans because people are baulking at the idea of paying $80 a month for the device + a minimum of $50 per month of service cost. For example if you want a 100gb a month plan because your a heavy user and want the Iphone 11 Pro in 512gb but only want a 24 month plan, your going to be forking out $177 Australian dollarydoos a month for the experience!

Car head units still generally have headphone-in jacks. So the iPod is still useful, you just have to use the iPod's controls, of course. Also, pretty much every head unit that has USB can play directly from a thumb drive - fewer options with the playlists and such, of course, but perfectly capable.

mariooncrack posted:

I believe it stops getting security patches in October. Say what you will about Apple, there's nobody who supports their phones longer than them.

On the negative side, there's nobody who supports their phones *but* them, for better or worse. Usually better, but there have been a few times...

STR:
Completely. Be done with it.

Also, I need to go play in the mud with our Outback, just so it's not a complete poser. Have to turn the VDC off, though, or it won't be entertaining. That poo poo actually worked really well when I went to slide it around a u-turn in the wet. It said "nope" and straightened the car right up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I put stickers on my rear Window.

There's a Stark Enterprises and a Yoyodyne Industries on the other side that I do not appear to have taken a photo of.

edit:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nobody gives a gently caress about your lovely opinions so don't put some Deeply Clever Look At How Intelligent I Am sticker on your car

So, you're implying that while you don't care about our lovely opinions, we should care about yours?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

looking forward to the inevitable "a chud threw a full monster energy can at my car because of my removable passive-aggressive anti-suv sticker"

I won't say that I don't consider exactly that when choosing bumper stickers, signs, and t-shirts.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

where did i imply that, nobody cares about my lovely opinions either, which is why i don't feel the need to advertise them on my cars

Mostly an rear end in a top hat attempt at humor on my part, but posting an opinion sort of implies that you want people to hear it, yeah?
Don't take me too seriously, though. I'm not.
Serious, that is.

CommieGIR posted:

I specifically make sure I don't block my line of vision. Stop hating on my stickers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Stickers on cars is dumb except if its race car. Especially on windows. Any more than four on a back window I begin to have deep suspicions on attachment to reality of the owner of said car.

No thanks. Windows are for looking out of and not blocking view

I make no claims about my attachment to reality. Notice that literally all of my stickers reference fictional realities.

CommieGIR posted:

I specifically make sure I don't block my line of vision. Stop hating on my stickers.

And that. That's why mine are all at the edges/corners.

Oh, and I forgot one I have on my AE86:

Two, actually - one on each side window.
Does everyone get the joke? I hope so, I thought it was clever - look how intelligent (and funny) I am.

Tomarse posted:

Today I found that a previous owner has 'repaired' a hole in the floorboards in my house using a flattened out baked bean can. I always thought that tin cans were only for poo poo car repairs.

gently caress no - a tin can lid is perfect for a knothole, for example. If it's a big hole, may have to move up to a quart can. If it's bigger than that, flatten the can and use it rather than the lid. Yes, I've seen all of that, albeit in a barn rather than a house, at least.

taqueso posted:

I was scanning craiglist and apparently there is a challenger Scat Pack.. what is up with that name?

It's a recall to the performance option from the '60s. Scat as in "get the hell out quickly".

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Nothing to do with China. It might matter for import duty depending on trade agreements between countries, but that gets complicated, for example NZís Apple products come via Sydney, and we have free trade with Australia. (We have an FTA with China too anyway for that matter)
Apple sets its global pricing based on the forex vs USD around launch time, then never changes it until the new stuff comes out and the old one drops down the ladder. Occasionally we get lucky, and our markets dollar is strong vs USD and we get a good deal for a generation, but the USD is rarely weak for long.

Also bear in mind that US prices donít include sales tax. Comparing a 256gb SE;
US $549 = AU824 NZ885
AU $999 inc GST 908 without
NZ $1049 inc GST 955 without

So Au currently getting screwed by Au$84 and NZ by NZ$70. So still getting screwed but not as badly as comparing pre-tax to post-tax. I havenít been following the forex so no idea how changeable its been during Covid.

Oof. I know about GST, but typically forget about it since it's not a thing here. I pay 8.5% sales tax here in TX, so being reminded of how high GST is elsewhere is just eye-watering.
On a different tack, is it taxation and such that is making it seemingly unsavory for local industry there? I mean, GM killed locally-built Holdens, not sure how far behind Ford is.
Y'all need your own local tech giant, eh?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

opengl128 posted:

See now that's funny. I'd crack up if I saw that in the wild.

You do have to be familiar with AE86 Corollas to get the joke, so limited audience.
I'd totally do it full size on the sides of the car if my vinyl cutter could cut that large.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

The other thing about tax, is Americans seem to pay a just as much of it as anywhere else but get gently caress all in return. We get functioning government and civic services. The old gag about queueing at the DMV? Totally foreign to us. FTTH to 85% of the population because of govt funding, which just started getting upgraded to 10gbit capability. About NZ$180/mo gets you the current top plan of unlimited 4000/4000. Healthcare and accident cover. A welfare system. We currently have 21 active Covid cases, 1 of which is in hospital. (Donít say NZ is a remote island miles from anywhere, the place is usually crawling with Chinese tourists).

Paying taxes can get you cool stuff, but instead you guys pay for a whole bunch of military and for corporations to get rich while the president plays golf and charges the Secret Service to rent his golf carts.

I just saw a finance article about that. I've got it queued up to read more closely, but the gist of it is you're right. All tolled, taxes plus "mandatory payments", the average US citizen pays as much in "taxes" as the rest of the world, but we get far less out of it. A lot goes to medical insurance companies who flip us the bird in return, and a lot goes to the federal government, who does much the same, insofar as stuff that we actually want.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've seen "2.5L NO OUTPUT" stickers done up for four-cylinder Jeeps that perfectly mimic the 4.0 stickers.

I had one on my Ď95 XJ. Mine was actually ďLow OutputĒ. Still on it, actually, but no longer my Jeep. And itís literally no output now, since the friend who bought it blew the engine.
Thatís basically what gave me the idea for the AE86 sticker, to give credit where itís due.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the medical insurance companies are fuckin raking it in right now

First against the wall when the revolution comes. Maybe second. Fuckers tell us how important it is to plan for accidents and disasters (Iím talking insurance in general now) then keep all our money and tell us to get hosed when something does happen. Assholes who run these companies are the reason I have to believe Hell exists, because they sure arenít being punished in *this* life.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Not to detract from tractor chat, but I found this interesting:
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...tm_medium=title

TL,DR: Republicans fail at critical thinking and believe stupid things. It's funny that they call non-reds "Sheeple", but they're the ones that buy into the dumbass beliefs without the tiniest shred of evidence.
Godammit, I used to call myself Republican, but they ain't what they were then, and I sure ain't what they are now. Still not ready to be a Democrat. Maybe I should just slide right on past into Socialist.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Because under Reagan and continuing onward republicans did everything they could to defund american public education because people who know things are prone to using their own brains to make voting decisions, rather than just doing whatever Hannity said this morning.

That's dark... but believable. It may be a happy accidental side effect (for them) of the Republicans' being cheap bastards (at least in terms of publicly beneficial programs), but I would could see it being intentional, given how obvious some of them are being about their true intentions lately.

Elviscat posted:

Holy poo poo AvE has gone off the 'ol Libertarian rails, bitching about masks and poo poo in his latest videos. I'm unsubscribing, all here does these days it's gently caress with his CNC and try to use flextures to solve every problem (they don't)

We all fall to Dunning-Kruger in the end I guess.

God dammit.

Grakkus posted:

Re: Democrats, I just don't understand the mindset. All my US Democrat friends have spent the time since the primaries started making GBS threads on whoever the Democrat frontrunner was for one social infraction or another. Like okay, cool, you're extremely woke or whatever, but you're also self sabotaging your own side? Maybe if there was less internal shitflinging they might get something done?

Well, yeah. I mean, it was basically the Dems who sabotaged themselves and lost the last election by putting up the ONE candidate guaranteed to lose against the orange fuckwit.

Dagen H posted:

2016 Part II: I still don't want to vote for any of these assholes

I would love a "none of the above, try again" selection, but thanks to partisan politics, and the electoral system negating any meaningful independent voing, we get two dismal choices.

Coredump posted:

The thing is, out of ALL of the candidates that were running Biden was my least favorite and the one candidate that Trump could actually beat. Democrats, how did you gently caress up this bad AGAIN?

Issue highlighted.

We kinda need a V (from V for Vendetta) to scare the motherfuckers into doing the right thing, but that has its own slippery slope. Whole "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is true, and I agree. It's awful how our country's leadership isn't reflective of the actual population. (and of course when someone who is more reflective of population like AOC gets elected, that's a sign of end times) I am focused on "don't give up" part of message rather than "other places bad/worse"

My poly-sci instructor in college (I lucked into his class the first semester - and rearranged my poo poo to take his second semester, I like him so much) use a textbook called "The Irony of Democracy", and i was absolutely correct then, 30 years ago. It's beyond correct now, at least at the level where things actually get done. Pretty sure I kept the book, too.
It's... painful being aware of my privilege (like meatpimp, I'm white, male, older, and a second-gen natural-born citizen.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tremek posted:

CSB: Was referencing HK directly due to this and this which TLDR say goodbye to HK as we know it.

A good-sized chunk of the company I work at is Taiwanese. You can bet that poo poo is making them nervous. Not that the situation with mainland China has ever been great, but China cracking down on HK makes them wonder if Taiwan is next. I'm not real savvy on the situation as it regard to Taiwan, but I know they're nervous.

KidDynamite posted:

How do I tell my insurance to gently caress off with a rate increase right now? Especially since I donít drive my car anywhere but the grocery store, my mother in laws, and race tracks in the northeast. The last two obviously donít happen anymore. Iím putting like 12 miles a month on the thing.

Isn't that amazing? Our insurance was all like "we're giving everyone a refund, since you're not driving", then a couple months later, raised our rates. You unmitigated bastards. Do you actually ever wonder why people hate you?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh, you unmitigated orange gently caress.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/trump-la...media-companies

This is *not* going to work out the way you think it is.

I really hoped I could get through my life without dealing with this level of bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

everdave posted:

I dug up some Loweís gift cards and picked up a 10x8 metal shed kit. Iíve been paying $75 a month for storage for over a decade to basically store a giant Christmas tree and kids clothes (I have a workshop but a small house). Plus I am sick of dragging everything from the far back of the yard workshop to the front driveway to work on cars (air compressor, tools, vacuums, Ramps, etc...)

Made a level base with 6x6 posts I had for the perimeter and got the bottom frame built. This is going to take a long time...

The second you have it finished, your going to wish you had a 10x20.
I built my own shed. It took a couple years, but most of that was pauses due to other things. I laid out the foundation step stones, go them leveled, and then did nothing for like a year, because I couldnít afford the materials. Once I could, it went up in 6 months or so mostly working weekends. Iím very happy with it, and would have built bigger if I had the space. Iíd like to keep some back yard, plus local laws, I guess. Itís pretty much full, but now have had space in the garage.
drat shed is built better than my house, which is fine.

Raluek posted:

It's no accident. Aren't you from Texas?

I am, and holy poo poo.

Edit: if I wasnít already disgusted with the ragged festering corpse of the Republican Party, that would do it. Thatís a basic fundamental of, well, not being stupid.