Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

STR posted:

Ultimately, I guess stability may mean moving back in with her mother. She's STILL trying to pretend we can make a 2 bedroom apt work. That's a hell to the loving no. I'm not putting myself through that (I've tried that song and dance before, it doesn't end well), and definitely not putting her through that. It would be nothing but heartache for her anytime I actually wound up dating, and it would just be awkward all the way around. I've tried living with ex's before after a breakup, and out of every ex I've tried to live with after a breakup, I speak to exactly zero of them. It hurts really bad to inflict this kind of pain on someone, I'm usually the one getting dumped, but... damnit.

If the best thing for her mental health means leaving a job of 18 years and moving to the other end of the state, so be it, and I'll support her in that decision. Hell, I'll drive the drat moving truck across the state for her pulling her car behind it (just like I drove a moving truck halfway across the state pulling my car behind it to move in with her), so long as I can find a way back home. I'll load and unload the drat thing myself, so long as her mother isn't waiting with a shotgun. I just want her to at least try to explore other options outside of "gently caress everything, moving back in with mom at 42 and throwing away a nearly 20 year career". She's had a little over 2 months to prepare for the loss of apartment at this point (we're just shy of 2 weeks left), and I've been splitting my time between sleeping on a friend's couch, at our place, and occasionally in my car as it is.

TBH I think taking a 1-2 month leave of absence and going into some kind of psychiatric treatment (maybe a week inside a private facility, the rest outside, but still off of work) would be better. She has more than enough PTO (she's grandfathered in under a plan that isn't "use it or lose it", I think she has like 6 months saved up), she's enrolled in short and long term disability, her insurance will cover mental health... we have almost identical medical benefits aside from deductibles, right down to the insurance company.

Bro, if you try to fix every broken wing, you're never going to fly yourself. Sometimes you gotta say "My work here is done" and move on.

STR posted:

Jesus loving Tapdancing Christ.

So whenever anyone moves out of an "old" apartment in my complex, they spend 2 months tearing it apart to remodel it (and speaking of, my current apt is listed as being available in late July to early August, my move-out date is late May). I just woke up from a nice nap to sledgehammers.

Opened my door. They're demoing the apt across from this one. With the front door wide open. I went over to ask if they can just close the door - the doors are insulated fire doors, and kill sound pretty well. I have a nearly deaf neighbor next door that has his TV cranked to 11 24/7, to the point that I can hear it a bit inside the car while in the parking lot, and can make out words once I'm out of the car (and definitely figure out what he's watching once I'm in the breezeway) - I DON'T HEAR A loving THING INSIDE THIS APARTMENT. I knocked and just asked nicely "can you please close the door?"

"No habla pandeja, maricon!" REALLY? (google "maricon" if you want to know why this pisses me off so much, but "pandeja" isn't too nice either)

I just had a polite chat with the property manager. Well... polite in that I didn't yell or curse at them. About 1/3 of the population in this place works "essential jobs", and a decent chunk of those either work at my store on overnights, or work at a neighboring store (mostly also on overnights). Up until they started doing remodels, it was one of the more affordable apt complexes nearby. It's now one of the most expensive...and the oldest apt complex in this part of town.

All they had to do was close the loving door. They're not going in and out until they've knocked out all of the kitchen, the bathroom, a few walls, and a few ceiling fans. That's gonna be at least a few days.

I have a big old box of 3M earplugs for just this sort of thing. Working nights for almost half my life now, it's just a fact of life the world is not going to accommodate you and you gotta carve out your own little piece of peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Is that loving Chernobyl :lol:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Humphreys posted:

And before someone mentions it - yes a chain guard does exist.

We know they exist, yes, but do you have one :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I don't like this countdown thing. It feels ominous. gently caress you, Lowtax :argh:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

You Am I posted:

What are you talking about?

Earlier there was a countdown at the top of the page. It is gone now.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Informed Delivery told me I had a letter from the IRS today. Cue minor anxiety (I have been audited twice but hit it out of the park both times).

Turned out to be His Orange Majesty's dumb letter.

At least I'm not being audited.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i've been bitten by the AW11 bug again help

Grow to 6'4" or so, it helps*

*absolutely not the slightest loving bit, I want a built 4A-GE with a little turbo like nobody's business but I'm like 8 inches too big

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Had a "totally not a meeting about drama" meeting today with the department manager and director. Apparently my ex is still bitching about me breathing the same air she is (different sub-department, some shared workspace).

Since the meeting was recommended by HR; I went full nuclear; talked to my attorney, came in with a list of questions and a legal pad, wrote up minutes, had them both sign it affirming accuracy. My boss, the department manager, was only a little surprised (he's fully aware my family is infested with lawyers and that I'm mildly infected by osmosis) but I absolutely floored the Director. I'm pretty sure I rang every "Do Not gently caress With" bell in his head, and he complimented me for taking this seriously. My boss is backing me up every step but we gotta go through the motions. Pretty sure the Director is with me as well but I've made it clear to both of them I am at DEFCON 2 on this.

You are NOT going to jeopardize my job you childish little poo poo.

Completely unrelated, I think I'm going to pick up the pace of my degree and add another class next semester.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 14, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Guys, I touched the poop. I am in argument on Reddit with a bunch of mongoloids who think they can out-brake ABS.

I can't stop, send help.

Edit: my ABS must be broken :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Depends a LOT on the ABS. 90’s GM ABS is dangerous garbage, modern well-tuned ABS is incredible. Modern badly-tuned ABS, hmm, maybe an argument to be made. Also, changing tires from factory can make a big difference in ABS performance in my experience.

Oh yeah there's absolutely lovely ABS out there but anything made in the last twenty years is at least as good as average driver on their best day.

Hear you on the tires bit as well, swapping to sticky stuff on the Honda Fit combined with Wilwoods up front gave the system fits (HA!) so I pull the fuse at the track. However it goes right back in after I swap back to the Continentals.

Alright I'm done some guy called me a dick after I threw an NHSTA study at him. Back to just reading. I was tempted by a mechanic advice sub where poor innocent newbies ask adorable :shobon: questions.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 15, 2020