Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I have a couple new pairs of jeans arriving Soon™ -- ordered on Sunday with 2 day ETA, shipped yesterday, now ETA next monday -- and I kind of want to sew up a denim mask using my old ones and go full Canadian Tuxedo next time I'm out for a walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

For the longest time suburban houses here were cookie cutter two-floor houses with optionally a detached garage, and basements were rare. Then in the 80s they started to ban building the drat things because construction got shittier and shittier and their ability to withstand an earthquake was already pretty dubious. The late 80s evolution of them was 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms over a finished "basement" (actually the ground floor) and two-car garage. Basement suites became pretty much standard to legally build in the late 90s so every suburban home built in the Vancouver region is now garage+kitchen+combination dining and living room+absurd foyer with bedrooms+bathrooms+den on top and one and a half basement suites below (usually one legal basement suite that's rented out and one half-suite where you shove grandma when she can't drive to the grocery store anymore).

I'd love one of the 60s/70s ones slightly updated, but amazingly the late 80s/early 90s ones are *less* expensive despite having needed less reno work done on them. That being said, less expensive in this context is "a million dollars instead of a million and a half", sooo I will never own a house

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Reportedly the next gen BRZ86 is going to be sharing a higher-revving tuned version of the FA24F with the 2021 WRX with Toyota doing the rest of the car.

I was thinking about picking up an FR-S in the next couple months but now I'm seriously considering throwing money into keeping the Impala's transmission from falling apart and waiting to see how the 2021 BRZ86 shakes out.

e: this is of course assuming that the 'rona doesn't shut Toyobaru Mk II development down for a couple years, of course

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 10, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So just a question - whats the best way to utterly destroy a Subaru Outback?

Cheapest eBay turbos you can find. No wastegate.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

STR, sorry to hear about all that. Best wishes for you guys.

Tremek posted:

So while COVID may impart some scale of economy and all that, we can’t rule out that anything harvested from our fellow humans may be real drat expensive...

The good news is that a COVID-19 vaccine trial is starting in Canada, using something developed at a public university here, so it should end up actually being available to everyone. Y'know, as long as we don't get jammed with the white house imposing some insane 10000% tariff on importing medical supplies from Canada in response to us potentially getting there before US pharma companies do.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'm playing the buy a new car game again. Decided I really want a Hakone Edition 86.

Trying to find a dealership willing to play ball is proving frustrating though, only one so far has quoted me pricing and they basically just quoted me msrp and said they couldn't offer more info atm.

Godspeed, 86s are fun as hell despite not being all that fast in a straight line. Definitely feels faster than it is.

I'm looking to pick up another one in a month or so (RIP my previous one, died to financial uncertainty) but I'm thinking of grabbing something in the neighbourhood of a 2015 since I'd rather just write a dealership a cheque and hand them my garbage Impala and drive away with no strings attached. At worst I'd maybe cover dealership fees and whatnot with a line of credit and then just pay that off ASAP since I have no other debts and I don't want to go back to *that* crap.

e: The dangerous part is having to check every single carfax because any sports car or similar originally purchased and eventually sold in the Vancouver area is likely to have at least $3000 in easily-avoidable damage claims to it. Anything priced suspiciously low is likely to be north of $10k in claims but still a clean title, probably due to separate incidents.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 22, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Coredump posted:

86’s seem particularly bad about having accident damage. Any time I see a decent price on a FRS/BRZ/86 I google the vin and see nice pics of the front end destroyed.

Mmmyep. Dudes who think they're in a Fast and Furious movie like to do the pedal dance and then go sideways without knowing how to make the car go straight again.

Last night I saw a 2014 FR-S on autotrader.ca for $11,900 CAD, which is super low (median is like, $15k CAD). Carfax report had two separate collisions totalling $10k in repairs and an unknown reason comprehensive claim for $3.5k (so probably a hit and run). Definitely going to pass on that one.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Growing a lawn in the desert makes is a criminal waste of water imo.

If you live somewhere that has rain three quarters of the year then sure why not, poo poo's going to grow whether you want it to or not. If the local soil is mostly sand and you can still see the bones of pioneers who strayed too far south on the Oregon trail, then you should definitely consider asphalt or astroturf or something that doesn't need more water per day than all the people in your neighbourhood.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scathach posted:

I have an 85 Bronco II, an 86 Bronco II, and a 2008 police interceptor that was an accidental gift.

The non-hell-cars are a 1986 Fiero and a 1979 Nova. I mean the Fiero is bad because it's half metric and half not, and every bolt is different, but it's cute and stupid fast.

We used to have a house bus, 2001 New Flier. Also a pain.

Welcome to the family.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Unrelated, the pork I made today, smoked it (cut into ~ 1 lb chunks) directly at 225 for 4½ hours, then put it into a pan with garlic, onions, a cup of veggie stock and a can of dry hard apple cider, cooked it at 325 for an additional 3 hours, then removed it to a separate pan for pulling.

This is right before the shredding.

It was very good.

Oh maaaaan that looks good.

I've got ten pounds of fresh, ridiculously high quality ground beef incoming in a couple days, direct from a relative's farm up north. Dad brought home a hundred friggin pounds of the stuff, and I have no idea what he's going to do with it all other than fill up his freezer for the next year and a half.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hertz filing for bankruptcy.

womp womp

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Flagship phones have gotten much more expensive lately.
There are much better cheaper options than there used to be though.

My Pixel 2 still works great and despite the burn in on the screen I don't plan on replacing it until it dies, or unless Google's new flagship is reasonably affordable come October when my Pixel 2 stops receiving updates.

Likewise. The battery's starting to go in mine but I just keep a charger handy and give it fifteen minutes to top up before I go out.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

At least it's a scrub due to weather and not a technical abort. That's still much more successful than I was personally worried about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Holy poo poo AvE has gone off the 'ol Libertarian rails, bitching about masks and poo poo in his latest videos. I'm unsubscribing, all here does these days it's gently caress with his CNC and try to use flextures to solve every problem (they don't)

We all fall to Dunning-Kruger in the end I guess.

Not surprised. I was half expecting him to be a closet Alberta chud already considering his style and him living in the backwoods of northern BC (which leans fairly heavily conservative due to their proximity to Alberta and distance from civilization, but at least they don't have enough people to gently caress the rest of the province over in elections).

Pretty sure he had a South Park grade political-correctness-gone-mad freakout a while back when he did a ruler that had a "stinkyhole hair thickness" gauge on it and people said "dude that's not exactly kosher".