Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

Yeah, I really don't love black cars (have had ... 10 or so...) but here we are. It's a truck, it's not going to get washed much if I'm being honest.

Airstreams look super cool but are hideously expensive - like new they're >$100k for something the size that we're looking at. For contrast there are ridiculously nice travel trailers that may not have that iconic look, but are bigger inside and still coming from higher-end RV companies for ~1/4 to ~1/2 that.

Up to this point I haven't ever shopped for or even been around a travel trailer so I'm pretty blown away by how nice they can be especially relative to the outlay. Check this ridiculous thing out: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=KhjKMYaSyev

Air streams cost for a reason. It's the inherent build quality. (I'm not a fan of them either, headroom...)

The one you linked looks nice. In 3 weeks of full timing, won't. They're hideously cheap in build and get the moniker stick n' staple from the bus nuts.

Grand Design or Momentum is gonna be some of the "better built" stick n' staples. Insulation, water cap, and holding tank capacity are important if you're going to be living in it.

Tremek posted:

Hi dudes. Been a weird and busy couple months. Last night I did a car thing:

TLDR we're still waiting for our house to get unfucked from the fire, the lease on the rental house is up soon, my kids can't go to school, I can't fly for work - so I have thusly convinced my family that we should go on a 'social distancing' tour of the country with a travel trailer since none of us have to be anywhere specifically and I can work anywhere I have internet for the time being.

Nice 7.3!
Also lollll this seems to be becoming a thing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Your video is private btw.

Grand Design will be heavy as gently caress too. Boost cures all that ails you. Jayco is well regarded, much like Lance for the pickup campers. The support network makes it for them. He and I are doing pretty good, ironically going down a similar path for 2020. How's you and the family?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
that sounds pretty good. scoots well too.

Worst thing you'll encounter is ultra-low octane fuels in like NM that won't do you any good with boost.

nah gently caress all that. water rights are expensive and hard. Probably OR/WA to set up an automated outpost(think health packs from gaming). building a truck camper at the moment to go travel around the country/ North America. 2020 hosed the pooch which affords unique opportunities like this.

hell yeah good to read, you guys need a break.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

everdave posted:

you could have sold the cruiser and bought one of my japanese diesel campers...what were you thinking??

ha definitely listen to the experts like CSB on travel trailers, i see one year old enormous ones that look amazing with slideouts and everything for $20k and I don't think they are damaged it is people locally selling them saying they used it 4 times and need to sell

It's always damaged. Open up the cabinets and such and look for *any* delamination. Wallpaper and the like will usually hide discoloration, but it'll bulge. Push on the corners and see if the paper moves.
I've still been camper shopping even though buying one, even at 18 thousand dollars i'm still seeing water damaged units. which in that case, buy one for $dirt and rebuild or go new. Either way, make damned sure it doesn't leak.
(carry 4" wide Eternabond with you on the road)

Lippert has two types of slides. Gear driven and cable. The Grand Design will be using gear driven slides. They're absolutely more reliable than cable. Slides are a fucker that always like to leak or fall out of alignment. Look at how the slide sits against the camper body when closed, that'll give you an idea of alignment, and how much it'll leak. The average joe here should be able to align a cable slide.
If you are slide out shopping, make sure the floorplan is usable with the slides in. If there's a toilet emergency or you need to access some part of the coach in a hurry you're not going to have the 5 minutes to kick the slide out.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

Which leads to my next question -- when do you decide to get a bus instead of a truck/trailer setup? Are buses / motorhomes that much more expensive?

yes. Even schoolies have gained enough traction with the younger crowd that they're no longer really cheap unless it's hacked together with builder's grade left ups. A decent used diesel pusher will be on par with a bus conversion cost wise. Both will be hit or miss in terms of the condition of the drivetrain or the living quarters.
If you can afford new, go new. If you can't afford new, bring your box of skills and a bag of patience.

The biggest downside of a classA/bus is when it breaks down, your house is broken down. There's goodsam programs that'll help with towing something of that size. It can be quite stressful to deal with.

I came very close to buying a 38'ish 5th wheel toyhauler last year and backed out. 40' trailers are gonna be quite hard to park just anywhere. Something of that size is going to own you and you'll need to plan your moves days in advance as well as alternatives in case the spot you pick cannot accommodate your vehicle.

If the bearing or something shits on your travel trailer, you can uncouple and go get it taken care of. Or vise versa if your tow vehicle breaks. Not really possible with a van/bus/classA/B/C. The two also depreciate independently if that matters to you.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Given that the second RV is literally half made from wood, I would imagine that it would take a significantly bigger impact to rip a F250's body off its chassis. I'm pretty sure even a Model T would be safer in crash at this point.

The other half is compacted cardboard to look like wood.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
hell yeah awesome.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Well said. The idea itself is awesome and I fully endorse it. The timing of one-month-out is worse than awful. I'm not gonna get into it anymore than that.
September at the absolute earliest, maybe mid winter 2020 would be a better time line to launch.

sharkytm posted:

Tremek, I'm sure you'll be smart about things. You certainly deserve to be out of the house, out of your rental, and enjoying life. I just ask that you shop intelligently (stock up on non-perishables, do meal planning, minimize your waste, etc), and treat the places you visit both like they've got the plague and you've got it too. I'd also keep as low a profile as you can with a brand-new camper and $60K truck, there's a lot of assholes who want to express their holier-than-thou attitudes in non-socially-acceptable ways.

Also, please try to minimize any risky activities. The hospital system is already over-stressed, and adding a preventable injury isn't good for anyone. The local hospital group here just furloughed 600 workers this month, which is 10% of the workforce. They're simultaneously buried in patients and going broke.

Seconding this too. People are down on their luck and will get desperate. Keep a low profile, blend in with the locals. Auxiliary, get comfortable with a bidet. RV black water systems suck and don't put paper towels or traditional toilet paper down em.
Carry a first-aid kit. Know how to sew sutures and prepare a stint. poo poo happens. Know how to patch you, your loved ones, and your rig back together.

I parked the bike on March 04 and pulled the insurance/reg a few weeks later. Risk management. Plan for the unknown, Both vehicles are brand new and will probably be fine though that does not take in consideration for every one else on the roads. Whatever goes wrong, you are your own support.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I don't think tremeks going to listen to a poll, but honestly a cross country trip is currently a loving terrible idea right now, no matter how neat the truck and trailer are. You're choosing to expose your family to all those idiots who riot in maga hats and shoot dollar store security guards when they're asked to wear a mask. Unless you literally never come into contact with another human you can't control the risk. I sincerely hope nothing bad happens.

This is yet another good point.
I ventured into rural NV late last year and the maga hats made for quite an unwelcoming experience. To the point that I didn't fill the truck up in getting the hell out of town. The truck made it to the next major city with less than 1/8 tank left.

Adding to all of this. Right now most parks are shutting down and or kicking non locals out. Walmart and the like may not be amicable to someone camping for a day or two on their lot given the current pandemic. National parks are shuttered which closes yet another avenue for camping. Out west you have BLM land but like others have said, you have to be very smart about what you pack in and what you pack out. a 38' 5er isn't gonna like unmaintained roads, so that's not really another option anyway.

There's a several good YouTube accounts right now with full timers doing the traveling thing and it is looking pretty grim to the point they're going back to their traditional sticks n' bricks. I highly recommend scrolling through and watching a couple to get a feel for the situation.
(Outliers Overland, You, Me & the RV come to mind)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

I can only get SO erect.

Not an empty quote.

Doccers, do the needful.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Scathach posted:

We used to have a house bus, 2001 New Flier. Also a pain.

You're cool. Welcome to AI

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chrysler New Yorker. Any boxy rwd one.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Any more than four on a back window I begin to have deep suspicions on attachment to reality of the owner of said car.

In 2020 reality blows anyway.

MomJeans420 posted:

All stickers are a sign of mental illness, except minions ones. Lots and lots of minions stickers, preferably on a PT cruiser

(I have a sticker for the GX 470 / GX 460 offroading group on my GX, and various ones on my bike helmet)

MomJeans420 posted:

All stickers are a sign of mental illness

This is a forum about automotive related illnesses!

I don't sticker the cars so much anymore. bikes still get em.

bonus seasonal antlers/lighting.

"basm" on the left. on the right

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

On one hand, Biden could be doddering and ineffectual and it would be better than actively careening off a cliff. On the other hand, I'm just about ready to disavow myself of this country. Floyd George's murder has me all hosed up.

I'm with you there. This country has always been pretty lovely, now the emperor has no clothes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

Parts of the US are unquestionably shittier than others, and are sometimes shittier than a not-insubstantial subset of other world locations. But two thoughts, 1) let’s not paint the entirety of the country with the same brush because 2) there are so many other places that are vastly shittier. Would you want to be in Hong Kong today, or in 6 months? If I remember right you guys looked at Ukraine but that had its own problems?

That doesn’t excuse horrible poo poo here, but the other side of the coin is I would urge any and all to not give up and continue to stand for what’s right and fight for better outcomes for us all as we can.

Ukraine came with its own issues, however making GBS threads on the poor and minorities wasn't one of them. I didn't move there as it is illegal to bribe foreign officials as a U.S. citizen. Our elected may choose to not abide by their own governing rules. Doesn't mean I'm going to do this too. Either that or have a couple hundred thousand Euros around for residency. I lived there for a while a few years ago to get the gist of what life was like.

Also fwiw, I got my wish of moving to Ukraine without actually having to move anywhere.
I absolutely would travel to Hong Kong. The only places I wouldn't go right now would be Turkey, North Korea, or Russia.

Ukraine was my third and final attempt at divorcing this country. I'm gonna settle into the PNW or maybe move back to Alaska.

Background and perspective is a lot of it.
I've lived in 8 states, and have traveled to 47, also growing up as a dirt-poor first-gen-off-the-boat kid in rural areas. As a youngster the experience forever tarnished my view of this place. The same brush is more or less the same dull color no matter where. Sure there's peaks and valleys. Hate is still hate.

i'm not getting into my childhood on this forum.
I was fired 12 years ago in CA after getting outed in an auto shop. Prior to that in the south I almost lost a job in a factory over the same thing. Its not something I wear on my sleeve and what I stick my dick in is irrelevant to my capabilities as a worker. Yet in the atmospheres of those two areas loose jokes get thrown around and jokes can get out of hand fast. And next thing you know, you're outed in a hostile atmosphere.
In the Rover shop I had to fire a few customers that had issues with my sexuality or the fact I'm not born on the motherland. Though that was in the south yet again.
Even the "liberal bastion" that is the San Francisco bay area is not without its own problems. There's an undertone of racism and elitism here. Follow the policies that the elected put into play.

People at a shallow level generally are kind and mean well. Run with that.
On a happier note, this country has some absolutely beautiful scenery.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

CSB: Was referencing HK directly due to this and this which TLDR say goodbye to HK as we know it.

To clarify China should have been in that list from earlier. With the recent news it wouldn't be safe for anybody in the western world to visit HongKong now or any time in the near future. Prior to this administration it would have been a different story. I was following some moto guys from the states that were traveling around China and south east Asia. Over the last couple years with China increasingly tightening their grip on surveillance and free speech they returned to the US.

This country gets a lot wrong, however some things it does right.
keep fighting that good fight.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BuckyDoneGun posted:

But he gets to tell his dribbling fans that he “beat” the liberal tech giants and “won” that battle, for the little guy.

While they gargle on the long long dick of ATT, VZW, Comcast, Boeing, Deere, Nestle, and the list goes fuckin on and on and on.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Yes, the President said he was going to send the Army to kill civilians.

"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."

Combover Caligula is adding LOX to this fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

Ok its loving insane how much used slide in truck box campers hold their value. I've been looking at a few since I just got rid of my 2013 travel trailer. Anything "nice" (ie A/C and a shower) are like $25000 for something made in 2007.

Ya think? And anything cheaper is a soggy mess.

slidebite posted:

Yep. Slide in campers have crazy resale. It's one of the few RVs that if I were actually in the market, I'd probably buy new.

Or just build from scratch.

Protests were right outside last night. Buncha stores broken into, Residential wasn't touched. Armed robbery and a shooting. heard reports of a molotov, big5 had their guns looted, weed shops were looted and handed out to whoever wanted it. Teargas and flashbangs were involved. Choppers and sirens till around 1am.
This corrupt precinct hits the national news all the loving time and I'm honestly amazed they didn't go whole hog. Maybe they knew that this town wouldn't give two shits about burning itself to the ground for a cause. There's another larger protest slated for Tuesday.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 31, 2020