Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

It’s May here too now.
This month I have a big birthday coming up and I don’t like it :( I would rather stick with endless April..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

jonathan posted:

what's the workflow for getting images into a project thread these days ? gently caress me if im going to manually copy and paste a bunch of imgur ur;'s or whatever I did 10 years ago. What's the easiest way ?

Imgur isn’t too bad. You can upload the photos direct from your phone using the imgur app and then if you use the imgur site on a normal computer there is a copy bbcode link button for each photo that can go straight into your post here

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just saw the line of Starlink satellites go across the sky and it's honestly one of the coolest things I've seen. I appreciate that they intend to make them less visible, but for now it's super cool to witness.

I camped out in a nearby field for 3 hours one night last week to see them too. I saw 35 or so.

Does anybody know of some decent online info about them. Wikipedia says there are going to be 12-42,000 of them eventually!. I'd like to know how visible they are going be be later.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I meant how visible they are gonna be in 6-18 months once the other 1100 satellites are up there (wikipedia says there are 400 now and going to be 1500 by late 2021).

am i gonna see lines of 60+ satellites? Am i going to be able to see multiple lines going in different directions? will i see a grid of them? (which would be even cooler than a line)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Rhyno posted:

Mind control.

Not just any old mind control but Elon Musk’s mind control array...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

STR posted:

TBH I think taking a 1-2 month leave of absence and going into some kind of psychiatric treatment (maybe a week inside a private facility, the rest outside, but still off of work) would be better. She has more than enough PTO (she's grandfathered in under a plan that isn't "use it or lose it", I think she has like 6 months saved up), she's enrolled in short and long term disability, her insurance will cover mental health... we have almost identical medical benefits aside from deductibles, right down to the insurance company.

Yeah, try and convince her to take her PTO and take a leave of absence so it leaves her options open. She can go stay with her mom - Sounds like a good place for her to be right now and means that it is not your problem and wont become it. If she has that much PTO stored up she might as well use it up and then at the end of it she can either leave or come back to the job

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Did someone in this thread recommend this youtube video? Thanks for doing so if it was you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRs-4AXb9_U

I've had it open in a tab on my PC for days and finally watched it tonight and was captivated by his stop motion skills and how everything moves around.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

blindjoe posted:

Motorhomes always seem like a worse idea - when you get to your destination with a truck/trailer, you can unhook the truck and use it like a normal vehicle.
When you are in a motorhome, you need to pull a small car or something as you can't drive a huge thing easily around town.

Also engines etc wear out in a motorhome, but you can always buy a new truck (though from all the posts it seems that everything else leaks/breaks etc after a few years instead).

This is from my grandparents experience with a 1972 home done conversion van - so maybe modern/non-home made motorhomes are better. Though the neighbours motorhome seems to spend more time at the repair shop on warranty (a 3 ish year old large box motorhome) than it does in their driveway. They use it for 4 months a year, and basically leaks every time.

There are pros and cons of both motorhomes and trailers.

Modern motorhomes over here are built on commercial vans so the base vehicle will easily outlast the conversion and if you do end up with any issues then getting them fixed is cheap and easy!
It is however a vehicle that will end up sitting over winter whereas you can keep driving your tow truck and just leave the trailer parked up.

I think a motorhome is a lot less stressful to drive than it is to tow a trailer, but when you park up exploring around your destination is not as easy in a motorhome as you cant just leave it setup and drive off like you can in a trailer.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

taqueso posted:

This is a strange conversation given that we know a forward control camper fixes all these problems with cardboard construction

:lol: i think it would all be down to what I hit. if I hit anything higher than a car infront of me at speed I am probably hosed! There is one layer of aluminium and a single horizontal steel between me and the world above the chassis.

Someone rolled one like mine in a 60 mph emergency motorway stop avoiding someone else and was badly concussed by flying interior debris but not otherwise injured and the body maintained most of its shape. Chassis was reusable!
I also went to look at another one that was hit head on by a drunk driver in a car doing 30-40mph or so. Car went underneath the chassis and broke the front axle off and pushed it right back. No serious injury to the forward control driver! Chassis was repairable!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'm doing some driving just to keep batteries topped up. Probably 200 miles a month right now? Debating getting a trickle charger, anyone have brand/model recommendations?

The CTEK trickle chargers are excellent and have a warranty that works. I have 4 and had one replaced recently that stopped working. It took one online form and then a replacement arrived within a week along with instruction for me to scrap the broken one myself.

I'm using the XS 0.8 (which is the cheapest one at about £35) on all my vehicles. I either have them mounted in the vehicles or have the included 12V quick connector permanently wired to the battery and dangling hidden around the front bumper/grille somewhere.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Rhyno posted:

Oh joy. Little bit of water leaking into the basement. I mean, it's been raining almost non stop for two weeks but we thought we were done with this bullshit.

Yeah, water Leaks are the worst things to deal with too. Welcome to home ownership :(. I've now had 2 different companies attempt to fix a leak in my roof and it is getting better but still there slightly. Had the second ones back last week to have another look and after we stripping the inside of the roof out we have decided that there must be a hairline crack in the lead flashing.
It is now all painted with sealant on the outside in the hopes that this will do the job until i can get all the flashing replaced. I suspect it is going to turn into a complete re-tile and re-flash job because the 70 y.o concrete tiles pretty much disintegrate when you touch them now :(

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

everdave posted:

I didn't lose any but I can not believe it did not take off at the end, had so many different bidders...

Well another sold and a little made...on to the next one, have an amazing 85 Acty van that will go live on BAT in the next few weeks

The market for more unique things like the firetruck is surely gonna be harder to make money on than for more 'standard' vehicles isn't it?

I keep watching your BAT sales and I notice that all the people asking lots of questions that you have to go to the effort to answer never ever seem to actually bid. I had thought that BAT was classier than ebay or other sales sites but it appears that the twats are still there too.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Asking questions about a car on an auction site isn't being a twat, what the gently caress?

taqueso posted:

Those questions help other people that might not post even if the asker never bids, barring some troll questions I suppose.

Asking sensible questions about stuff that isn't covered in the description or photos is helpful and constructive and i am all for it! (and in my case generally annoyed with myself that I missed it out of the initial description) - but you always seem to get a rush of twats appearing during the last hours/day of the auction who ask questions about stuff that is already covered or is totally inconsequential or stupid.
You then have to go to the effort of answering them but in retrospect it seems guaranteed that this sort of person will never bid.

Especially on B.A.T. where you always have big detailed descriptions and lots and lots of photos - any serious buyer spending $thousands on a weird vehicle is going to have read the description multiple times over the last few days and is going to have pored over the photos. Any important questions should have come out well before the last day of the auction and any questionable points on items that might only cost a $couple of hundred to sort out themselves are not going to matter.

STR posted:

It's an hour of work at each end, with promises of money, pizza, and beer. Roomie said he'd help me with the dresser at both ends, but won't touch my ex's stuff. That just pisses me off - I'm trying to stay on good terms with her (FFS we've known each other for close to 30 years now), and she hasn't been able to line anybody up - and I've known roomie for over 20 years. My dresser is by far the heaviest piece, the rest is cake that's mostly just figuring out how to angle it through the drat door.

I'd have helped if i wasnt 5000 miles away! Just remember all these people who didn't help when anybody else asks you for help or to fix their poo poo!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's my birthday!

Just another day. Back at work Tuesday, 1 day at work, 1 day wfh alternating. No idea what they're going to try to get me to do from home, or how to arrange a space in the house to use without having the kids in my face.

Happy birthday! its mine tomorrow too and its a big one :cry: . I was looking forward to drinking in a brewery all day with a load of mates which was my plan until the apocalypse kicked in.

likely to end up decorating or something similarly boring for the day.

I also don't really want anything anymore.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

In a bucking of the usual annoying dog trends one of my neighbours have a tiny dog and I have never heard it bark/yap once.
I can hear the kids frequently getting shouted at through 2 lots of external walls and 10 metres of air but that doggo is a proper good boy!

quote:

new phones are expensive. My old iPhone 6s is finally dying after its second battery so I just ordered a 256gb 11 Pro to replace it... $2K for a loving phone now... Thankfully its on a handset plan and I can claim a big chunk of it on work expenses but its still going to be $100 a month for plan and phone when all is said and done!

It’s the top of the range apple phone - exactly what do you expect it to cost? The SE2 is £400 for an outright purchase here (isn’t that about $700 AUD?)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

blk posted:

Anyone have stickers or magnets on their car? I know they’re generally considered distasteful; but I’m curious (dealer badges don’t count).

Sometimes I want to put something on my Miata that’s a statement against unnecessary crossovers and SUVs - I get a lot of commentary on how impractical it must be from people driving an empty 5000 lb battering ram without a clue.

its your car! sticker it up if you want to!

I add stickers to my daily driver whenever it gains a dent or scratch! :)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Today I found that a previous owner has 'repaired' a hole in the floorboards in my house using a flattened out baked bean can. I always thought that tin cans were only for poo poo car repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Another recommendation for a brother mono laser from me too!
I got sick of my stupid Hp colour inkjet at the end of last year and bought the cheapest wireless brother mono laser that I could find and it just sits there and prints quickly and perfectly whenever I want stuff!
I used to use cheap brother mono lasers a lot in schools and they last forever even when being abused by children.

I unsubbed from AvE a months ago because I decided I just couldn’t stand his shtick anymore and nor could I take trying to listen to him talk. It does not surprise me that he is a dick.