Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Doccers
Aug 15, 2001

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

So.

If anyone has ever gone through a complete brake piston replacement on all six wheels, and suddenly has brake fluid vanishing, but the floor is bone dry...

... make sure the 40 year old Lockheed brake boosters aren't shot as well.

Unrelated, anyone want to place a guess as how how much DOT-3 fluid a Lockheed 8" brake booster vacuum cavity can hold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccers
Aug 15, 2001

kastein posted:

I don't seem to see an otr trucking thread. I think we have a couple truckers on here still though - currently looking at buying a roadworthy dryvan and packing it with all my crap for the move, then hiring someone who's got a bobtail/deadhead return from the Northeast to the Northwest to drag it out there and drop it on our land, rather than driving a 60 year old unreliable military truck 3000 miles and pray it doesn't break down and leave me stranded in White Power Methamphetamine Montana with all my earthly possessions in tow and no money for a 5 figure tow bill.

Anyone know anyone? Is this a really stupid idea? What rough rate should I expect to pay for ~3000 miles with a customer owned trailer, no hard pickup or delivery deadlines, and maybe 40k trailer weight at most?

Five Ton Lady can tell you all the joys of driving an old 5 ton across the entire goddamn country on nothing more than diesel and a prayer.

You know you want to.

(Also, whereabouts in the northwest?)

Doccers
Aug 15, 2001

Elmnt80 posted:

Oh drat, a doccors post! Aside from brake issues, how goes the volvo?

Mobile again, after rebuilding the servos, but not in the best of shape. Currently on a waiting list for once COVID restrictions lift a little here in WA, so we can get a new concrete pad poured in our shop.

... There may be a thread.

You have been warned.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2001

kastein posted:

Well given that we won't have poo poo for money to spare till the house sells and don't have jobs lined up yet, I'm a bit worried about accidentally losing everything I own and/or a 4-5 figure tow bill, ya know?

Longbranch Washington, out in the peninsulas West of Puget sound. I had no idea you headed for WA!

Edit: I really would love to do the trip, but I just can't see it happening unless I win the lottery. And I honestly need something like an m543a2 or m816 more than a cargo truck anyways.

... ahahhahahahhahahha dude I live in Port Orchard.

Also ours was far newer than yours and yeah I would totally recommend just shipping yours.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2001

Elviscat posted:

Kastein's going to get real familiar with PO, since his nearest big box hardware store is our craptastic Lowes.

Dunno, with the purdy bridge the gig harbor home depot may be closer for him. Either way, that home cafe up the street from him does a pretty good burger.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2001

Elviscat posted:

True, they're more equidistant than I thought, the GH HD is a navigational nightmare, but the store itself is much better than Slowes.

I need to start getting back down to Penrose Point down there now that the State Parks are open again.

We've taken to referring to that area as "the seven circles of hell". Count em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccers
Aug 15, 2001

Elviscat posted:

Thankfully I work at Bangor, so I can just stop at the Silverdale one on my way home, pretty much just go to GH for the restaurants, well did go I guess.

Once stuff open up I want to drop into tides tavern again.