Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Twitter is far worse.

"Social" media as a whole is a goddamn poison to society whatever it is.

Its a disease we cannot defeat. Its creation was inevitable.

We can however use it to do good. 50% of the population can be controlled by emotions and memes. Right now would be a great time to have them gather in large groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

I need a new tractor too. Something less than 2-3 years old, less than 500 hours. I want 100-125hp, 4x4, loader with third function, cab/buddy seat, 3 remotes. Any suggestions? Not keen on mahindra.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you have a good local Kubota dealer their product is real good in the ~100hp range.

We do, I looked at an m4d-075 it was a little small, and didnít weigh enough to make me confident hauling round bales off slopes. I havenít heard good things about their large tractors. Everyone locally trades them in after a year or two, and they donít sell many of them.

CNH being made in italy concerns me as much as massey being chinese. Parts availability for my current machine (Mahindra 3616 HST, made by mitsubishi) has been a nightmare. I know I am going to break it 10-15 years down the line. It needs support, Deere is the best at that, but at a premium. Kubota is good. Case used to be good, so did new holland, no idea if that carries through now that fiat builds them.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Where are the T3 and T4 made these days? I can't really keep it straight. I thought they were still produced in the US or Mexico. The various CNH companies have been mostly owned by Fiat and the Agnellis for over two decades, so that's nothing new.

I think the T4 is italy. The local, as in drive it home new holland dealer has a powerstar that might be the right size and a decent deal, but finding actual reliability data is hard. John Deere dealer I havenít checked out because they are only open 9-5 weekdays and closed weekends. Like a gently caress you to anyone with a job, but I see more people using those than anything else.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Darchangel posted:

With respect to the thread title, I'm thinking you don't have enough:

Well, yes, but you see a lot of people eating McDonald's, and riding Harleys, too. Ubiquity does not equal quality. Plus the whole proprietary systems thing loving over farmers using the large units rubs me the wrong way intensely (she said.)

All manufacturers lock the emissions control systems down. Any part besides emissions related components you can replace with JD. They even display the trouble codes on the monitors inside. The locking things and slowing tractors down if they ignore emissions codes is every manufacturer with dpf/scr systems, and even ford, chevy and ram trucks. Its expensive. (Deletes available for most of them)

The thing about JD - you can still go to the dealer and get parts for your 4020. And they stock a lot of stuff too, so it wonít be down for months. Last year I broke a three point stabilizer on my mahindra. The selling dealer was closed by mahindra and started selling massey in its place. You canít order mahindra parts online because the dealers have regions they are allowed to service. So I had to go to a dealer an hour away, give them the part number, pay for it, wait for it to arrive, pay shipping on pickup. Major pain in the rear end and one of my fields sat all winter with broom sedge on it because I couldnít finish bush hogging after that month long setback. Ive got an accepted offer on a 97 acre parcel, 50-60 or so needs to be baled and or mowed. Hay canít sit on the field while parts come slow boat from china (or italy).

And a bit of soapbox: If you believe the big grain guys about how much money they loose tillable wouldnít be 10k an acre and they wouldnít be getting millions worth of new equipment every other year. They get more government assistance than anyone. poo poo, if you buy enough seed some of the seed companies will give you a new combine lease. Kickbacks and assistance galore. Small operations are a different story, I get that. But guys farming 10,000 acres and farms milking 38,000 cows are fine.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

So I went and talked to the new holland dealer. He had a powerstar 120 in stock. Premium cab, TL655 loader, only 2 remotes and no third function on the loader hydraulics. Low 70ís price. Nice machine, less than JD, made in turkey . Dealer says most people donít like the electronics and adding the diverter to the loader is an expensive job. Adding a 3rd remote is not bad. He is going to prepare me a quote next week on the tractor as it sits vs ordering new. Had a nice used CX15 batwing bush hog and a woods blade I would go for as well. He did say that parts backorder sometimes, but there are 4 major NH dealers within 45 minutes.

Then we looked at the property we are under contract for. 97 acres. Only one operator from the ag coop is brave enough to lime parts of it. As we pulled into the driveway, a neighbor came by on her four wheeler. She grew up there, great great great grandparents built the house and barns. She explained the house had extensive termite damage, needed a new foundation, well is shallow and has problems, needs to be completely re wired. Not worth saving. Which was my thought anyways when we made the offer. I could live there temporarily but I would hate to be there long term. The remaining barns are ok.

What I didnít realize was the extent of the coal mines on the property. None where we wanted to build, so a sigh of relief there, but she took us way back in the woods near an old cemetery to the mine entrance. The mine had been dynamited closed so her brothers couldnít play in it, but had water coming out and some old metal dumped near it. My wife, kid and the lady stayed back, I wanted to see where the water came from. Found the source of the water AND an active coyote den in the rubble. Left pretty quick, didnít have a gun on me. The lady said there is another den elsewhere on the property near an old spring her father used to water cows. Didnít bother to explore that.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

I will post more at some point. Thats only a small corner we didnít bother to check during the showing. You would have had to grow up there to even know where to look. The rest of the property is amazing, but will be a challenge to mow. The seller offered to cut hay on shares which saves me from buying $$$$$ worth of equipment. Still need a big tractor and maybe a skid steer.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

I am going to build in Indiana, donít want a basement.

Never lived in a house where it didnít have problems with water, mold, structural issues, rodents or snakes. gently caress that, why pay more for more problems. Give me a slab with a designated storm room inside.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

meatpimp posted:

Since the kitchen is (mostly) done, I've turned my attention to the basement. It's ~800 sqft of finished space that took a serious hit with the two water damage incidents we've had in the past year.

House was built in 1999. It was built to a reasonably high builder's grade. No ornate finishes, but solid structure. Floor trusses, steel beams and supports for the main spaces, etc.

The thing I'm most thankful for is the waterproofing system they installed. In 2007 when we moved in, I saw that the waterproofing system had a 30 year warranty and I liked that. 2/3 of the way in, I can't believe how well it works.

I've always had and seen basement issues before, too. We sold my grandparents awesome house because of structural basement issues that really couldn't have been resolved without lifting the house and rebuilding the foundation. Even in my area, more than half of the basements I go into have a musty smell, but not ours.

From what I can see, the waterproofing system is a spray-on flexible membrane, then a layer of fiberglass insulation, then a backfill of small aggregate.

When I started the tearout, we had a 15'x12' area that had a riser built up (previous owner for a home theater... who puts something in to DECREASE headroom in a basement???) I always hated that riser. So I tore it out last week. Solid 2x6 pressure treated lumber construction with no vapor barrier. Dead dry underneath. Even the walls where the furring strips on the concrete walls went to the floor, they had the fiberglass insulation touching the floor as well. And that was dry.

So not all basements are wet, moldy nightmares.

Not trying to be an rear end, but your preface is: It's ~800 sqft of finished space that took a serious hit with the two water damage incidents we've had in the past year.

I get it, water didnít come from the outside, but it doesnít matter, water still ruined it because its a low point. I donít want to deal with that. Nor do I want to find giant black snake peels every time I need to change a furnace filter or reset the router, which is my issue now. I donít like the concept of a space in my house that I dread going into, either because of what lives there or ďwhat is it this time, and how much is it going to cost?Ē.

My house is going to be slab foundation and make use of treated lumber, metal and rock wool wherever possible. Its going to be on ~100 acres and I donít care about its curb appeal, so the industrial look is fine. Thought about ICF but I cant find a builder and even that has below grade issues.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Tremek posted:

Yeah, I really don't love black cars (have had ... 10 or so...) but here we are. It's a truck, it's not going to get washed much if I'm being honest.

Airstreams look super cool but are hideously expensive - like new they're >$100k for something the size that we're looking at. For contrast there are ridiculously nice travel trailers that may not have that iconic look, but are bigger inside and still coming from higher-end RV companies for ~1/4 to ~1/2 that.

Up to this point I haven't ever shopped for or even been around a travel trailer so I'm pretty blown away by how nice they can be especially relative to the outlay. Check this ridiculous thing out: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=KhjKMYaSyev

Holy gently caress donít buy a jayco. Mine is a turd. 2015 eagle premier 32í. Just donít.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

The jump from a nice travel trailer(Grand Design Reflection) to a class A diesel pusher (thor, winnebago) will cost you at least $150k. So when people have that kind of cash and want to move up they do.

My inlaws have a 2017 winnebago forza. The major reason for the upgrade was being able to use the restroom and move around while rolling down the road. It sleeps more people as well. Quality wise, they all have problems, the bigger ones just have more expensive problems.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

For what its worth, I had two separate campground reservations canceled by the state park service of the respective states, GA and IN, through the beginning of June. I am not sure how long campgrounds will continue to cancel them, but not being able to park it will be a hassle especially if your just winging it. Also, flying J with RV pumps will be your friend. Trying to pull a 32í camper thats really 36í behind your bumper plus the already long ccsb pickup is no fun when you need gasoline because the station was designed for a car.

My one RV trip I hope to go on this year is in December to big bend texas. Hoping that one doesnít get culled as well. We were planing on ordering a new grand design solitude 310GK with full body paint, heat pumps and some other nice stuff but thats postponed for now. If we do go it will probably be with our current Jayco.

So instead of ordering the new 5er, I am in the process of buying a new tractor. Its a 2020 new holland powerstar 120. Deluxe cab with a high vis roof, HD loader, the widest set of R1W radials available, and 4x4 with HD limited slip front axle plus the usual HD mechanical rear locker. Its in stock at the dealer 6 miles away, soon to be 2 miles away after we move. The in stock at the close dealer part was the main reason for buying this particular machine, because it doesnít have a couple features I really want. Mainly, the factory installed third function diverter for the loader, and a factory 3rd rear remote. I could go to the local case IH dealer and get a farmall 120U (same machine but red) that has them but they are 25 miles away, and a bit more expensive. I could order a new one, but that takes 6 months to come slow boat from Turkey right now. The dealer can add the third remote for $1500 but the diverter he said we would have to order on a new build. There are $700-800 hydraulic doubler kits if I really want that later on.

I am getting a used JD CX15 bat wing and a new 9 foot rear blade with hydraulic tilt and angle as well. Canít wait to tear poo poo up with the batwing.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Tremek posted:

Chips, youíre a mensch but chill out. Weíre not licking doorknobs and have to be out of this house in a month regardless.

Bought a Grand Design 311BHS yesterday and am picking it up Thursday.

Good choice, congrats.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

nm posted:

People think, well, I won't be interacting with many people. You still are. You go to the gas station (and you will likely go in the gas station as your card likely has a limit of $50-100 to fill at the pump, and even at $1.50/gal, you're going over that to fill a diesel pusher). You will go to the supermarket. And more often. There's not that much storage space in an RV. You'll likely get lazy and use gas station restrooms too. And your kids won't observe social distancing in campgrounds. Due to extra close quarters, you'll get anything they have an vice versa. Remember that if you catch covid at one Pilot, you'l spread it to a clerk at another one, who will spread it to a few truckers, who will spread it to more. The real key is to keep in your bubble. If you go the same safeway every week, you can infect everyone who works and goes there. If you go to a different supermarket every week, you expose way more possible people in 14 days. And due to the limited storage space of even large RVs, he'll be going to the store more.

Only one small point I would like to make. Tremeks tow vehicle is gas powered. It wonít hit the card limit right now but will require a stop every couple hours. Carrying gloves is common with an RV since you also carry a hose to drain poo poo tanks that has to be hooked up every time you want to dump. So chances are he can stay safe doing that. The hard part is maneuvering a long rear end trailer hooked up to a long truck to a gas pump. Look at google maps before you stop at the wrong station and have to back out.

Diesel vehicles use truck stops. Pulling in and out is much easier and the pumps let you dispense hundreds of gallons. If you have the right card (Some trucking company lets RVers buy in) you can start the pump without going in. Otherwise most of the time you have to go in to auth and then to sign after you fill. That diesel pusher has a 2 day range, filling isnít a problem.

Edit: Its TSD logistics for the fuel card. Saves quite a bit per gallon too.

rdb fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 11, 2020

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

New tractor.

Get to pick it up next week hopefully. The dealer is going to set the rear tires out another 7-8Ē and fill with washer fluid. Plus the usual prep.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

STR posted:

Mom's coworker and mom both tested positive. Still asymptomatic for mom, her coworker is already on a ventilator.

If y'all need me, I'll be in the darkest corner you can't find for awhile.

Yikes. I hope it works out for you and your mom.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

How much do you want to spend? Loader and grapple would work best, Kubota B series is a possibility. However, understanding what a tractor can and canít lift and what fits your budget is key. Sub-compacts, especially older ones, kubota in particular, canít lift much for a reason. And even if it does, doesnít mean its safe. People die all the time with logs on their lap or in rollovers trying do what your asking.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

daslog posted:

My budget is $15k, and yes, I really don't want to die. A used tractor is more than acceptable, and I'd like to be able to dig up stumps.

daslog posted:

The former owners of the property was the head of the local flower club. She had paths put in, planted flowers everywhere, and and did tours for groups like the girl scouts back in the 80's. Then she got old and everything was overgrown. What I want to do is open it up again, extend the back yard, and then maintain it.

What I was thinking was that I can take out all of the small stuff on my own and leave the really big stuff to a company. There is definitely an argument to be made that I'd be better off hiring a company to do all of the work, but I really want a tractor too . I'm also thinking that it doesn't make sense to buy something that isn't going to be up to the task.

Your budget is fine, however, sub-compact/compact tractors hold value really well. Donít rule out spending $2-5k more for new. Your local kubota dealer probably offers a tractor package with a loader, trailer, mower, blade and a BX2380 for $17-18k new with a warranty.

That said, I personally would look for a JD 1025r or a 2 series. One thing I have noticed with kubota is they tend to be lighter in weight than competitors. That doesnít mean they are less durable, but weight is your friend when it comes to lifting and traction.

If used is a must you can probably find tractor/loader/backhoe (TLB) for that money, backhoe is best for stump removal. However, a few hours with a cat D6 beats anything a tractor can do and is probably cheaper in the long run. Forestry mulching may be an option as well.

How big are the trees? We bought our current place (10 acres) in 2014. It hadnít been mowed since 2003. Most of the trees were 15ft high but only 3-4Ē thick at the base. It was also completely overrun with multiflora rose, honeysuckle and briars 1Ē in diameter. I knew a tractor was a must and I wanted it to lift a round bale. I wound up with a mahindra 3616 HST and a loader, 6í light duty bush hog, bale spears and a box blade. The mahindra is a rebadged Mitsubishi, re-badging is so common in the tractor industry it canít even be tracked. Either way, after cutting a few trees choked out with honeysuckle vines surrounded by giant briars with my chain saw I said gently caress it and bush hogged them all. Broke a lot of shear bolts, bent the bush hog deck, had blades fly off, put a ring in the top of the deck from blade contact, but got it done. Bush hog still works. The trick was to raise it up as high as it goes and back into the tree slowly. Trees have a little more give the farther away from the base you get. The bush hog will make some terrible noise, poo poo will go flying, but the trees will die. Any stumps left rot in a couple years provided you mow the regrowth.

I will look for some before and afters.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Harper slope mower maybe?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Like toro dingo small skid steer or a small bobcat?

I think I am going to get a used kubota/deere maybe NH at some point soon for cleaning out barns. Probably ditch the mahindra when I do.

Here is my new one, drove it home last Friday. 2020 powerstar 120 and a used JD CX15 batwing. Kid really likes the instructor seat. I really like mowing banks and 5Ē saplings from an air seat with air conditioning. New Holland was offering $11k in cash rebates, which was enough to make me bite even though my name and salary are on a post it note in a conference room right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Tremek posted:

Edit: re: tractors, anything wrong with a new Deere 2032R? Only on 2 acres but want to move quite a bit of dirt and use implements at times.

Its a great machine. Overkill for 2 acres but it wonít disappoint.

The R trim is generally Deeres top of the line, and the 2 series is awesome for small properties.

Elviscat posted:

Holy poo poo AvE has gone off the 'ol Libertarian rails, bitching about masks and poo poo in his latest videos. I'm unsubscribing, all here does these days it's gently caress with his CNC and try to use flextures to solve every problem (they don't)

We all fall to Dunning-Kruger in the end I guess.

Same as you, I found it disgusting and unsubscribed. The masks bit isnít about preventing yourself from getting sick, its showing decency and that your willing to endure slight discomfort for the sake of people who are vulnerable or at the very least concerned. Its not a sign of weakness, it doesnít cause hypoxia, you donít need osha certification to wear a surgical mask, and you certainly donít need to spread that bullshit to your 1 million subscribers on youtube.

rdb fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 28, 2020