Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I just go about my day with Astronomia playing in my head. Best to be prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The bit about helicoiling exhaust studs with the engine inside a MR2

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

If you think that's cool, try to catch an Iridium flare.

You'll be trying without much success, unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzzROZzjTyw

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

The Tractor Thread: John Deere Dies At The End

bolind posted:

I saw that as well but am too dumb to figure it out? What's he fitting?

Dunno if it's from the original Mini but yeah that's a SU carburetor.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If it starts then I'll say. But goddamn glasses needed with multiple people

I'm reminded of how I learned that neither of my brothers have even the slightest bit of mechanical aptitude between the two of them. They're both sharp guys in other ways, which made this all the more amusing. Youngest brother had a 280ZX (that my wife had given him) and the battery died in it. They replaced the battery but afterwards it was still acting stone dead, so I got tasked with figuring it out.

Popped the hood, grabbed a multimeter, and attempted to probe the battery.

They left the plastic cap on the negative terminal.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

could prob slap some heatshrink on there to hold them together until your replacements arrive, if that would be more comfortable than the safety glasses. upside is that because of the shelter in place stuff, you dont have to go anywhere where people will judge you for having harry potter glasses!

Can confirm, heat shrink worked remarkably well when I had one earpiece break off an old pair of glasses right at the hinge.

My current glasses are definitely on the worn side and I'm due for a new prescription, but still usable enough that I'm waiting for poo poo to blow over before I worry about that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ugh. Halfway through replacing a toilet and I'm reminded how much I hate plumbing, even when nothing is going wrong.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I used a HF transfer pump to get everything out first, so nothing dripped. Only thing now is I need to get something to soften up the old caulk since the bits that won't come out of the tile are discolored as hell.

Edit: I am definitely going to pick that up though because gently caress wax seals.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I have those on two toilets and they're fantastic. No wax makes the install a breeze.

I'm glad you can reseat them because I had to. Instructions said that if the flange is flush to use the included spacer, but that stacked up way too high with the new toilet.

Bolted it down with no spacer and so far no leaks. Success!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Coredump posted:

LS swap into 2001 Sonoma is a go.

Yessssss.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Driving about half or less what we normally do in the Canyon, which still amounts to a decent chunk of miles - but now it's mostly my wife driving, not me.

I haven't bought a tank of gasoline since February.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i've been bitten by the AW11 bug again help

Prius swap it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Jesus Christ today has it in for my family.

My aunt passed away in her sleep yesterday night, not unexpected as she was in hospice, but the funeral's going to be a complicated mess. Then this morning I find out the hip pain my mom was dealing with all weekend was actually a broken hip when we finally got her doctor to see her again, so now she's hospitalized pending a full replacement on Friday.

Oh, and the Vic's started to slip in 3rd between 40 and 50 mph.

Just gently caress 2020.

loving hell, that's rough all around.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

So, that one doesn't have a charge controller, and is actually very similar to the (panel only) that I linked, although lower power (2.5W vs 6W).

I'm not sure how much it really mattered, but I do recall googling it at the time, and the consensus seemed to be "don't hook a solar panel up to your car without a charge controller".

I think for anything larger you would need a controller, but the most that thing can put out is two tenths of an amp in ideal conditions.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Tbh, it's one thing to go to work if you feel fine, but if you are clearly showing symptoms like a loving fever and cough you are just making the situation way worse by continuing to work, infecting your co workers and possibly shutting down the place where you work to begin with and now you have no job to go back to.

That's one of the core problems with COVID-19, though - there's an unusually long period where you can be asymptomatic but contagious as gently caress. So even if you got people to perfectly quarantine when they were symptomatic (which will never happen - even at my company with relatively generous and lax sick policies, certain motherfuckers still come in and cough all loving day) you'd still have a pandemic on your hands.

Yeah. The best most people have are 401k or IRA type plans that are tied to the stock market, but there's a lot of people who aren't even offered 401k plans and an even larger group who can't afford to contribute to a retirement plan anyway.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Does that thing have 2-two car garages at a right angle to each other?

This seems to be the way for most modern construction, unfortunately. Best I can tell is it gives the builder more flexibility. A lot of floorplans that have two garages at right angles to each other also have options that consume some or all of one of those garages as a game room / in-law suite / whatever the gently caress else is trendy right now.

The other common option is tandem garages, where there's room for three or four cars, with at least one side being two cars deep, with just a single two-car width rollup door.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah but what are the odds that my wife and i are both simultaneously trying to leave?

my use case for a four car garage is to keep like 2 poo poo cars plus 2 actually functional cars so i think it would work ok for me

Simultaneous isn't the issue, it's "I have to move this car to get to that car". If your neighborhood is also a pain in the rear end about street parking, that means you probably need to move the other car multiple times. Two 90 degree garages is fine for this, tandem garages less so.

The downside of two 90 degree garages is that if they're even connected at all, it's not going to be by much.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have any of the above over the tiny "two car" garage I have now. That's all only because the feasibility of me being able to afford a place where I want to live, with enough land to build a separate shop, is near zero.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hertz filing for bankruptcy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Scathach posted:

Okay if someone that dumb shoots their dick off I'm fine with it. There. I said it.

No, see, we're all totally owned if they shoot themselves in the dick. Owned, I say!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

You do have to be familiar with AE86 Corollas to get the joke, so limited audience.
I'd totally do it full size on the sides of the car if my vinyl cutter could cut that large.

I've seen "2.5L NO OUTPUT" stickers done up for four-cylinder Jeeps that perfectly mimic the 4.0 stickers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wallaka posted:

Honestly gently caress the Democratic Party. They’re 80% as right wing as the Republicans, and just lie about where their interests are.

The more time goes by, the more convinced I am that the GOP are just Hell's Globetrotters. The Dems are the Washington Generals, forever getting dunked on by people playing by entirely different rules, but ultimately just serving to advance a largely similar agenda.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

freelop posted:

For the first part of your post I had a vision of a totally different scimitar being worked on

Same here.

Elviscat posted:

Holy poo poo AvE has gone off the 'ol Libertarian rails, bitching about masks and poo poo in his latest videos. I'm unsubscribing, all here does these days it's gently caress with his CNC and try to use flextures to solve every problem (they don't)

We all fall to Dunning-Kruger in the end I guess.

I suppose it shouldn't be that surprising that he leans hard right but even before this it seemed like he's just lost his way on actual good content.

meatpimp posted:

I've always said that Republicans are evil and Democrats are incompetent. Yours is a less divisive statement of that view.

Given the actual effect most Dem leaders have had, I'm increasingly less convinced it's actual incompetence and more convinced it's a loving farce. Scream loud and complain, claim you're more compassionate, still pass most of the same tax breaks and enforce most of the same lovely policies. The end result is that in most political races you're left with two choices that have some differences, and at least one probably does have some abhorrent policies that nobody should be voting for - but that doesn't mean that the other choice is anything less than a shitshow.

The last time I felt like I was voting for someone who actually had better policies than their opponent, they've let me down anyway.

everdave posted:

TLDR

BROTHER LASER B&W (can be had for $50-75)

Outsource color when needed

Very much this. Even color lasers are questionable value unless you need to print color locally, often, and I'm really not sure what would constitute a need at this point. Walgreens / Costco do photo prints better and cheaper than you ever will, Kinko's FedEx does color document prints. Color lasers are larger and much more complex than their B&W equivalent.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just to add more fuel to the dumpster fire that is 2020, we've been hitting record/near-record weather in AZ. It's still May, yet we're getting July temperatures, and now July rain. poo poo is weird, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lol. AZ now has a curfew for protests but COVID only warranted an unenforced stay at home order.

Edit: the full text is even worse. The list of allowed things is as wide as possible while still letting them arrest you if they think you're going to protest.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 31, 2020